Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) London System Question (Read 8135 times)
Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: London System Question
Reply #10 - 02/13/10 at 20:29:07
Post Tools
Thanks for answering my question Hehmer!

IP Logged

Hehmer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/13/10 at 10:19:22
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 02/12/10 at 19:01:52:
After 7 f3!?, "Win with the London System" fails to mention what to do if Black develops with 7...Bg7 or 7...Nc6. If White plays e4 (the main idea behind 7 f3!?) this simply opens up the game for Blacks pieces.

Somehow I took it for granted that White gets a good game when Black permits e4 but after a deeper look I think that you are perfectly right in this case.

As for your question whether Mr. Prié has covered this variation the answer is probably no. At least I could not find the position after move 6 in the dPawn specials pgn-file.

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 02/12/10 at 19:01:52
Post Tools
After 7 f3!?, "Win with the London System" fails to mention what to do if Black develops with 7...Bg7 or 7...Nc6. If White plays e4 (the main idea behind 7 f3!?) this simply opens up the game for Blacks pieces.

IP Logged

Hehmer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/12/10 at 12:15:15
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 02/10/10 at 23:51:29:
"Win with the London System" recommends 6 Qc2!? but then the computers think Black is better. They think 6...g6(!) is best.

Maybe the computer overestimates Black's chances a bit but 6...g6 is indeed the best move. Johnsen and Kovacevic give this as main line too and they show that White must be careful when he continues with normal moves. Their short analysis on the so far untested 7.f3!? (idea: 7...Bf5 8.e4 dxe4 9.g4) is quite interesting though and provides good food for an engine.

Anonymous3 wrote on 02/10/10 at 23:51:29:
That leaves 6 Qxb6 axb6 but this doesnt seem like it will give White any advantage. 7 Na3 is probably best but then the computers think Black can equalize with 7...Bd7(!). 

After 6.Qxb6 axb6 most players try to defend their castle with Nd2, a3 and Rc1. I doubt that 7.Na3 is much better. As Black my first thought is 7...Nc6 to answer 8.Nb5 with 8...Ra5 when 9.Nc7+ leads to nowhere and 9.a4 creates a target for the black rooks and maybe the bishop via f5-c2.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/10 at 09:02:57
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 02/12/10 at 02:51:52:
MNB, I am getting very tired of your posts. Your posts add nothing to the topic being discussed.  It seems you go out of your way to not answer my questions, try to change the subject, and make fun of my posts. From now on, If you are going to reply to one of my posts, please just answer my question, don't make replies that are off topic, and don't make fun of my posts.

MNB, I said that you need to take the computer evaluations seriously. That doesn't mean they are automatically correct so their is nothing wrong with consulting what Prie or others think.

Posters moved from initial tact to being blunt with this message:

IT IS TOO EARLY.

Not that PCs are 'wrong', but it is too early to know if they are 'right'.

Remarkably useful tools certainly used the right way, but don't switch yer brain off.

PS To those who have satnav in their cars, be careful. You may find yourself driving into lakes that 'aren't there'.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/12/10 at 08:42:43
Post Tools
Is it any coincidence that, after 5 minutes' thought, Rybka's main line (from the starting position) goes 1.d4 d5 2.Bf4 Nf6 3.e3 c5 4.c3 Qb6 5.Qb3 c4 6.Qb6 ab6?

My point exactly. The computer can't be trusted this early in the opening, especially when it makes outlandish claims such as '2.c4?! dc4 0.01 advantage to Black' and that 1...Nf6 is supposedly best met by 2.Nc3.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 02/12/10 at 02:51:52
Post Tools
MNB, I am getting very tired of your posts. Your posts add nothing to the topic being discussed.  It seems you go out of your way to not answer my questions, try to change the subject, and make fun of my posts. From now on, If you are going to reply to one of my posts, please just answer my question, don't make replies that are off topic, and don't make fun of my posts.

MNB, I said that you need to take the computer evaluations seriously. That doesn't mean they are automatically correct so their is nothing wrong with consulting what Prie or others think.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 02/12/10 at 01:36:05
Post Tools
In that case there is no need to ask us human beings - or even a GM like Prié.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/11/10 at 03:39:29
Post Tools
I understand what your saying but I think in this position it is ok to take the computer evaluations seriously.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #1 - 02/11/10 at 02:03:00
Post Tools
Anyone that trusts a computer evaluation on moves 5-7 is shooting themselves in the foot. There's probably not a single titled player out there that would go by what the computer says on moves 5-7 unless someone hung a piece.

Why not start at move 1 if you're going to rely on it that much?

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

London System Question
02/10/10 at 23:51:29
Post Tools
I'm not a subscriber anymore and I was wondering if Eric has covered 1 d4 d5 2 Bf4 Nf6 3 e3 c5 4 c3 Qb6 5 Qb3 c4. When I was a subscriber, I didn't notice any coverage of this line. It seems to be a critical ...c5 line that Eric hasn't covered and maybe just ignored. If he has covered this, what does he recommend?

"Win with the London System" recommends 6 Qc2!? but then the computers think Black is better. They think 6...g6(!) is best. That leaves 6 Qxb6 axb6 but this doesnt seem like it will give White any advantage. 7 Na3 is probably best but then the computers think Black can equalize with 7...Bd7(!). 

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo