Latest Updates:
Normal Topic svesnikov 9.Nd5 what to read or buy? (Read 3394 times)
snakebite

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: svesnikov 9.Nd5 what to read or buy?
Reply #3 - 02/21/10 at 12:06:00
Post Tools
I've played the Sveshnikov on and off for years.  The problem is that there is no real book which tells you the main plans like say Tony Kosten's book on the Nimzo did - it just isn't that sort of opening.  The positional themes all hand on tactics more so than in any other opening that I've played before.  There are ideas e.g. fighting for control of d5, sidelining the white Na3, kingside attack , b pawn sac for the centre etc etc.  However, you have to calculate deeply.  Just playing based on plans is a recipe for disaster.  As it is positionally risky and sharp the consequences of a mistake are apparent much quicker and quite often fatal.  I'd go with the Easiest Sicilian and practice.  My last season I scored 5/6 with black.  The loss a blunder from a better position (which i had obtained by understanding that he had to prevent me sealing the queenside, but he didn't realise is and let me) against a higher rated player - I never followed general plans....just calculated and used experience.

IP Logged

toppace
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/19/10 at 21:40:10
Post Tools
Well, i lost the tempo in the opening and was down after that, i hang a piece becuase I felt this is the first time i will win against him, Of course wenn you lose such a game it is very easy to call it a bad move, i agree.

But thanks for telling me the different sourses for getting chessinfo.

What is your rating?

Even with my rating, I hardly understand it.")

Fine now we have a clear goal with our chess when reaching your level one understand opening x.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/19/10 at 18:01:52
Post Tools
Well, you know, there are various books on it, there is Chesspub, NIC Yearbook, Informant, CBM ...

The thing is, when I see things like (a) asking "what needs to be improved?" about a game in which Black lost a valuable tempo in the opening and then appeared to hang a piece to a two-move tactic a few moves later, and (b) a suggestion to approach opening study by dividing the board in half, it makes me think you may be missing the mark in being concerned with the latest Sveshnikov theory.  (I'm reminded here of Loek van Wely speaking in 1996 about the, in his view, over-developed opening knowledge of many Dutch youth players:  "Take the Sveshnikov Sicilian.  Even with my rating, I hardly understand it.")

IP Logged

toppace
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

svesnikov 9.Nd5 what to read or buy?
02/19/10 at 17:34:34
Post Tools
Hi all! Who is authority on this line? Which books should i be shoot if i missed. Who is following in the theory?

Please tell me chesspub is doing fine here, i think the forum is so great and since there are no way of spending via paypal or so,to contribute everyone should buy a section!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo