Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Kalashnikov Resources? (Read 7886 times)
TicklyTim

can I take that back,
please...

Re: Kalashnikov Resources?
Reply #9 - 03/31/10 at 15:13:51
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/23/10 at 13:32:45:
I'm secretely hoping there's some Sveshnikov Manuscript out there in Russian or something that I can latch on to for a bit.

What do you know - I have a book in Russian by Sveshnikov that covers the Kalashnikov (if memory serves me correctly).
I think it's a bit dated though - maybe 1988.

IP Logged

Gambiteer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 03/12/10 at 22:07:59
Post Tools
Quote:
Paddy said,
Why this obsession (here at the forum) with new opening books anyway?

I used to get a little annoyed at the sheer number of discussions that pertain to opening books...but then it dawned on me that the site is called ChessPublishing for a reason and that I had no one to blame but my own expectations for being annoyed by all the book talk. 

Instead of feeling annoyed by it, I'm now simply envious of their book budgets.   Wink

-Roy

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #7 - 02/25/10 at 02:30:39
Post Tools
If anyone is up for a good laugh, take a quick look-see at this game. A horrid mouseslip somehow turns into a fine position for Black, then after a saucy queen sac I'm somehow better, then winning, then I blunder into a stalemate trick. Wop-Wah.... Grin

[Event "ICC 15 0"]
[Site "Internet Chess Club"]
[Date "2010.02.24"]
[Round "?"]
[White "chickens0003"]
[Black "TonyRo"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B32"]
[WhiteElo "1955"]
[BlackElo "2099"]
[PlyCount "74"]
[EventDate "2010.??.??"]
[TimeControl "900"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d6 6. c4 Ke7 7. N1c3 Nf6 8. Bg5 Be6 9. Qd2 a6 10. Na3 h6 11. Bxf6+ Kxf6 12. h4 g6 13. h5 Kg7 14. hxg6 fxg6 15. Nc2 Be7 16. Ne3 Bg5 17. Bd3 Rf8 18. O-O Nd4 19. Ne2 Qf6 20. Qc3 Qxf2+ 21.Rxf2 Bxe3 22. Raf1 Rxf2 23. Rxf2 Rf8 24. Nxd4 Bxd4 25. Qb4 Rxf2 26. Qxd6 Bxc4 27. Kh1 Bxd3 28. Qd5 Rxb2 29. Qd7+ Kf6 30. Qd8+ Ke6 31. Qe8+ Kd6 32. Qxg6+ Kc5 33. Qxh6 Bxe4 34. a4 Rxg2 35. Qf8+ Kb6 36. a5+ Ka7 37. Qa8+ Kxa8 {White stalemated} 1/2-1/2

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #6 - 02/24/10 at 13:14:24
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 02/24/10 at 00:46:52:
TonyRo wrote on 02/23/10 at 22:08:44:
Maybe you'll get lucky and a Kalashnikov book will be published soon, Bogo. Maybe not though.  Grin

Kylemeister - Do you know the title of this book, or where I can find it. A quick look-see at Out of Print books written by Sveshnikov mostly turn up his old Pelikan book and the previous versions of his French Advance books.

The book was called Sveshnikov's system (see

http://www.echecetmateriel.fr/epages/ce_fr.preview/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/1478...

but I would advise you not to bother with it. It is way out of date and pretty much the same material was presented in a better format in his long NiC Yearbook article.

I would say that the main ideas of the Kalashnikov are now well known. With the resources you have already plus a database you will soon know as much as practically anybody. Even if a new book on it comes out tomorrow I doubt that we shall learn very much new from it.

Why this obsession (here at the forum) with new opening books anyway? In general one just needs one good book that explains the ideas really well, plus a good database and an engine. (And of course Chess Publishing's annotated games are also pretty useful!)

One gets the impression that most of us think that we just need that one more book, which will turn us into stronger players, when more often than not a) we don't need that book; b) our weaknesses lie elsewhere; c) our time (and money) could be more fruitfully spent in other ways; d) we need to play more real tournament games and less blitz; e) we need to get out more.

Hi Paddy,

You assume my reasons are improvement-based. Most of the time I spend on chess is purely recreational and academic, and the other 20% let's say is rooted in improvement. In this case, I just generally find Sveshnikov to be an interesting human being, and just like to see what he has to say about an opening he knows quite well. It's purely for historical reasons. I'm not an idiot - and I know that this book will not make me any better, and may not add much to my theoretical knowledge of this opening, but it will probably add some historical background.

I collect books because I enjoy them, not because I think it will make me better. If that were the case, I think I would have overturned this conclusion after the 200th or so book purchase, right!?  Grin

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/24/10 at 08:05:03
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 02/24/10 at 00:46:52:
Why this obsession (here at the forum) with new opening books anyway? In general one just needs one good book that explains the ideas really well, plus a good database and an engine. (And of course Chess Publishing's annotated games are also pretty useful!)

One gets the impression that most of us think that we just need that one more book, which will turn us into stronger players, when more often than not a) we don't need that book; b) our weaknesses lie elsewhere; c) our time (and money) could be more fruitfully spent in other ways; d) we need to play more real tournament games and less blitz; e) we need to get out more.

Ouch!

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #4 - 02/24/10 at 00:46:52
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/23/10 at 22:08:44:
Maybe you'll get lucky and a Kalashnikov book will be published soon, Bogo. Maybe not though.  Grin

Kylemeister - Do you know the title of this book, or where I can find it. A quick look-see at Out of Print books written by Sveshnikov mostly turn up his old Pelikan book and the previous versions of his French Advance books.

The book was called Sveshnikov's system (see

http://www.echecetmateriel.fr/epages/ce_fr.preview/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/1478...

but I would advise you not to bother with it. It is way out of date and pretty much the same material was presented in a better format in his long NiC Yearbook article.

I would say that the main ideas of the Kalashnikov are now well known. With the resources you have already plus a database you will soon know as much as practically anybody. Even if a new book on it comes out tomorrow I doubt that we shall learn very much new from it.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/23/10 at 22:08:44
Post Tools

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #2 - 02/23/10 at 21:50:17
Post Tools
I have also noticed the lack of kalashnikov books.

I have even written to the director of Everyman chess to highlight "this problem". I have also sent a mail to a well known chesswriter about this problem also. He didnt exclude to do something about it as he has actually played the kalashnikov himself from time to time in his youth.

I suggest Everymanchess to publish a book titled : Starting out the Kalashnikov.

I also have some years ago mailed Gambitbook and suggested to them to wright "The complete Kalashnikov (after they relesed the complete Sveshnikov). But so far no new Kalashnibook have been seen.

By some reason they refuse to publish Kalashnikovbooks .
I wait for a new and good Kalashnikov book. Finally it must be published. The question is when.

The reason they publish so little about this opening could be that it is not so popular (sveshnikov dominates) and also that the Kalashnikov have had a "depression" for some years. But nowadays it seems quite playable. I like the games of Ikonnikov and Moiseenko. Radjabov also have played some nice games with it.

What I like with the Kalashnikov is that it is an opening you can play very much on "feeling" and understanding. And it is also very funny to play. Dynamic and the whiteplayers do not feel to comfortable playing against it.

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/23/10 at 21:37:09
Post Tools
Well, Svesh had an article on it in the Yearbook back around 1992, and somewhat later there was a rather slender book by him (in English, at least the edition I had) which was half devoted to 2. c3 and half to the Kalashnikov.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Kalashnikov Resources?
02/23/10 at 13:32:45
Post Tools
Hello all,

In my ongoing quest to study the Kalashnikov in depth, I am searching most printed material. I have:

Sicilian Kalashnikov - Aagaard and Pinki
Winning with the Kalashnikov - McDonald
Neo-Sveshnikov - Silman
New Trends in the Sicilian Kalashnikov - Who cares, this book sucks....
Yearbooks
ChessPub

Does anyone know of any other resources out there, even if they're in a different language? I'm secretely hoping there's some Sveshnikov Manuscript out there in Russian or something that I can latch on to for a bit.

PS - I should also mention that I have the typical White books - De La Villa, Khalifman, Experts, Beating the Sicilian 3, and so on. Their coverage is uninspiring.  Grin

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo