Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Refutation of the Ryder Gambit (Read 61224 times)
Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Refutation of the Ryder Gambit
Reply #3 - 03/09/10 at 05:48:25
Post Tools
I only play the Ryder Gambit in blitz games. The reason for this is because I am more familiar with the 5 Nxf3 lines than with 5 Qxf3. It is my opinion that the Ryder is far more riskier than the BDG. That said, it still has practical chances in over-the-board tournaments. This is because people won't have the advantage of computer assistance to help them.

YIM  
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 03/09/10 at 01:46:18
Post Tools
Believe me or not, but when I played the Ryder Gambit some 15 years ago (only OTB) I found that there were a few points not entirely clear after 6...Qg4.
The line that bothered me most was 6...Qh4+ 7.g3 Qb4 (an improvement on 6...Qb4) 8.0-0-0 c6 and as White can't play 9.Qg3 Black is better.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/09/10 at 00:29:59
Post Tools
Pachman, Gallagher and Rizzitano have given 6...Qg4 7. Qf2 e5 as clearly better for Black.

IP Logged

motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Refutation of the Ryder Gambit
03/08/10 at 23:19:54
Post Tools
Let's get a bit generous and offer two pawns.
I own a copy of Diemer's book "Vom ersten Zug auf Matt". It largely deals with a gambit idea Diemer credits to a Dr. Ryder.

1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Qxf3

From theoretical point of view I can't believe that this is good anyhow. But Diemer played it quite regularly. And on practical basis it worked.
The question to me is: What ist the best way to defend Black's case in this variation? Does White get enough practical chances (not theoretical), or is there a clear refutation - discovered by, say, Rybka?
Can Black simply take ond d4 (5...Qxd4) and how does he proceed after 6.Be3?
Are other continuations - 5...c6, 5...e6, 5...g6, 5...Nc6, 5...Nbd7 - more to the point?

cheese

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo