Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Sicilian Kan Chessbase DVD by FM Valeri Lilov (Read 16404 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: The Sicilian Kan Chessbase DVD by FM Valeri Lilov
Reply #17 - 01/15/12 at 21:32:46
Post Tools
Ender wrote on 01/15/12 at 14:01:26:
Beware of videos from this guy. They are TERRIBLE.

Agreed.

His stuff usually consists of superficial, wishy, washy, unconvincing and irrelevant surveys. For instance his Gambit Repertoire DVD was total Crap.

Pardon my french.

Tops  Angry

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 01/15/12 at 14:01:26
Post Tools
Beware of videos from this guy. They are TERRIBLE.

2200. Amateur!

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 12/08/11 at 11:19:40
Post Tools
If you play the Hedgehog you need at least Shipov's 2nd volume. It deals with some of white's more aggressive setups which can also come via Sicilian move orders (B on b2, or B on d3, often f2-f4 and a pawn break; the other half of the book is on f3-f3 setups). Both volumes are superb and rather inexpensive, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to get both.

I've only worked through the Dragon chapter in Dismantling the SI yet. Based on this, and an article showing a glaring hole in the recommended white setup against the Taimanov, I strongly suggest to check everything with the computer. I like the book a lot, but (a) the computer check was sloppy (or incomplete) and (b) the editing is not on the level known from their competitor Quality Chess. The Dragon chapter includes at least 2 lines which would lead to immediate defeat for white against a prepared opponent. And I'm not talking about novelties, only about two cases in which the computer immediately blinks red and shows the refutation or the correct evaluation.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/08/11 at 08:44:57
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 12/08/11 at 01:23:49:
buno382 wrote on 03/31/10 at 16:18:41:
Does anyone have this yet?  I would be interested in even early impressions since I am unfamiliar with the authors work. What range of player is this targeted towards?

I am not at all impressed with the Lilov Kan DVD.
IMHO the best Kan sources are:
Mortazavi's old book - still the best introduction.
Emms's book - good annotations.
Hellsten's book- very high quality.
Supplement these with a good database, topped up with TWIC, and that's all most non-masters will ever need.

Having said that, depending on one's level, I guess it would do no harm to look into Dismantling the Sicilian, Experts vs. the Sicilian and the Cutting Edge to see what the opposition might be prep'ing. Even in the less theoretical Sicilians such as the Kan there is a constant arms race going on.

I haven't bought the Lilov DVD, because I wasn't impressed with the QGA one.

Mortazavi's book was one of my first books. Not theoretically up-to-date at all, as mentioned, but presents ideas in the Sicilian, not only the Kan, which are important for the understanding of the opening.

My main sources have been Emms' and Hellsten's books. Now Chesspub is also included  Smiley

The lines in Experts vs the Sicilian have been commented on here and Hellsten's recommendations look fine.

I have studied the Dismantling the Sicilian carefully. Just had a brief look, and the variations chosen seem tricky to meet because it is not too common in practice, but positionally well-founded. No major problem, though, I think. I haven't compared the book to Hellsten's recommendation, will do that later.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #13 - 12/08/11 at 08:27:13
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 12/08/11 at 01:23:49:
Does anyone have this yet?  I would be interested in even early impressions since I am unfamiliar with the authors work. What range of player is this targeted towards?

Supplement these with a good database, topped up with TWIC, and that's all most non-masters will ever need.

Having said that, depending on one's level, I guess it would do no harm to look into Dismantling the Sicilian, Experts vs. the Sicilian and the Cutting Edge to see what the opposition might be prep'ing. Even in the less theoretical Sicilians such as the Kan there is a constant arms race going on.

The impression I have of Lilov is as a cut-price Dzinzi.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 12/08/11 at 08:25:49
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/08/11 at 03:12:14:
Good list Paddy, but don't leave out

Zeller: Sizilianisch im Geiste des Igels

- a fantastic book and obviously a labor of love. It's 11 years old now so not theoretically up-to-date (though neither is Mortazavi or Emms) but the explanations of plans and ideas are still great.
It was only released in German though.

Completely agree. Yes, absolutely, a labour of love, a cracking piece of work.
Really enjoyed this, even though play it for neither side. Just good education.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #11 - 12/08/11 at 03:12:14
Post Tools
Good list Paddy, but don't leave out

Zeller: Sizilianisch im Geiste des Igels

- a fantastic book and obviously a labor of love. It's 11 years old now so not theoretically up-to-date (though neither is Mortazavi or Emms) but the explanations of plans and ideas are still great.
It was only released in German though.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #10 - 12/08/11 at 01:23:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

Chessguy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/07/11 at 03:21:20
Post Tools
The Queens Gambit Answered DVD jumped over some significant variations. It might not be the same problem here hopefully?

IP Logged

buno382
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 03/31/10 at 16:18:41
Post Tools

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #7 - 03/20/10 at 20:37:19
Post Tools
It seems, based on these contents, that there will be at least some stuff on 5.Nc3 b5, as I like this a whole lot better than 5...Qc7.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 03/19/10 at 19:36:02
Post Tools
Well, James Vigus for example is 'only' FM but his book on the Pirc is outstanding - there's no obvious reason to think FMs can't make DVDs just as well as more established players.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #5 - 03/19/10 at 19:09:41
Post Tools
Well FM's have been writing opening books for some time now. So no surprise that an FM would record a DVD. Chesspublishing.com recently had an FM as the writer of one of its sections. I suppose when I become an IM, I will start dissing FM's too.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/19/10 at 17:22:53
Post Tools
Well, one point of comparison is that FMs sometimes write for the (NIC) Yearbook, which surely has a typical audience hundreds of points higher than those DVDs.

I suppose the old chestnut about understanding rather than memorization was better for the advertising blurb than, say, "Averages more than ten minutes per chapter!".

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 03/19/10 at 16:54:09
Post Tools
Now even FMs feel qualified to produce a chess DVD. It seems chess is really worn out.

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo