Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Merits and Limits of Computerized Analysis (Read 31175 times)
BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Re: Merits and Limits of Computerized Analysis
Reply #14 - 03/29/10 at 13:19:03
Post Tools
TN wrote on 03/29/10 at 11:43:20:
I'm not convinced. In the 2005 Freestyle Chess Tournament, two amateurs (one rated in the 1300s and one in the 1200s), playing under the handle 'ZackS', defeated teams of Grandmasters equipped with analysis engines to win first prize, defeating a team of 2600 GMs and 3000 strength engines in the final. Unfortunately I can't find the article explaining how ZackS won the tournament in their own words, but basically they used a superior analysis process with their engines than the other teams. And thus, two amateurs with a superior analysis process proved stronger than Grandmaster + engine centaur teams with an inferior analysis process.

I looked at the analysis of one of ZackS's games from the final, and the analysis was of a decent quality.

I was unaware of that - that's interesting. However, I highly doubt that's the norm for amateurs to accomplish. The vast majority of amateur analysis needs careful checking.

Quote:
13.Nd5 is the move Black is begging White to play - why play a move that solves all of Black's positional problems and simultaneously loses a tempo for no good reason?

Right, my thoughts exactly.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #13 - 03/29/10 at 11:43:20
Post Tools
Sorry to go off-topic, but there were some interesting points made on computer analysis that I would like to comment on.

Quote:
A human being able to beat an engine's tactics in practical play is irrelevant, because a human + computer can beat a computer (as seen before in correspondence play), this renders their purposes in analysis inferior to a human in conjunction with the computer, especially when evaluating theoretical positions in the opening.

And engines still don't understand positional play on par with humans, including Rybka. This is why a strong chess player is still needed to guide it.

Not only can, but a team of average human + average engine will beat even the strongest engines in the vast majority of games, as shown in the ChessBase Freestyle tournaments where if I recall correctly, even Rybka and Fritz (without any human interference during the game) did not manage to qualify. I agree and have stated before that computer evaluations cannot be trusted above a human's evaluation, unless one side is winning. Even then, the computer may suggest continuations that are not the easiest and most practical way of winning the game.

Quote:
If the human interacting isn't a good chess player the analysis itself and the evalutions cannot be trusted, regardless of how good their software is.

I'm not convinced. In the 2005 Freestyle Chess Tournament, two amateurs (one rated in the 1300s and one in the 1200s), playing under the handle 'ZackS', defeated teams of Grandmasters equipped with analysis engines to win first prize, defeating a team of 2600 GMs and 3000 strength engines in the final. Unfortunately I can't find the article explaining how ZackS won the tournament in their own words, but basically they used a superior analysis process with their engines than the other teams. And thus, two amateurs with a superior analysis process proved stronger than Grandmaster + engine centaur teams with an inferior analysis process.

I looked at the analysis of one of ZackS's games from the final, and the analysis was of a decent quality.

Quote:
Chronic structural weaknesses can be eventually exploited, which still doesn't explain the atrocious 13. Nxd5 which is as shortsighted as it gets.

13.Nd5 is the move Black is begging White to play - why play a move that solves all of Black's positional problems and simultaneously loses a tempo for no good reason?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #12 - 03/29/10 at 06:35:33
Post Tools
Master Om wrote on 03/29/10 at 02:15:17:
Thats why I use Human + Engine Analysis.

It still doesn't help if the human component is weak.

I'm not saying you're weak, but my point stands.

Quote:
Engines not understanding positional Ideas is Rubbish. It seems you are unaware of all those. Chess programming has gone to new level. My Pocket Fritz 4.2 beats Fritz 5.32 on quad Q6600 3.0 GHz. . This you can confirm from GM Larry Kaufman who put positional Ideas in Rybka. That is why Rybka File size is Bigger than any engine.

Engines beating other engines is completely and utterly irrelevant to anything I said. The most powerful engine doesn't trump a strong player's insight combined with an engine.

Quote:
Yes I have a diffrent set of analysis technique and one of them Montecarlo Analysis running on depth 16 , 8cores. where HUman interaction is not necessary and you get all the moves with probability of the moves no move remains untouched there and upto the end game . Tactics is always important than Strategy b'coz strategy is needed for Tactics.

That analysis technique is hardly special.

Aside from that, if the strategy element weren't equally important then why would GM Kaufman need to make Rybka play better positionally?  Grin

Quote:
It is not what it seems. Thats not Chronic . Your Diagonisis is probably static not Dyanmic.

A chronic weakness is a static weakness.

My diagnosis fits the position and not taking seriously moves a computer spits out that are blatantly ridiculous (13. Nxd5), which you don't even seem to want to defend.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 03/29/10 at 02:26:49
Post Tools
SWJediknight wrote on 03/29/10 at 00:15:31:
Is there a specific engine which is supposed to be good in these Two Knights lines?  I note that Fritz tends to agree with most of the PGN's assessments in the 6.d4 lines, but regards some of the play as sub-optimal (e.g. Kaissiber 29's suggested improvement 12.Nc3! over the old 12.Na3 is given by Fritz as best after about five seconds' thought, assessing it as +=). 

But in contrast, Fritz goes further than my "roughly equal" assessment of the lines I gave after 9.Qe4 and 9.0-0 in the Fried Liver, often giving "+=" or even "+/-".

From my correspondence experience , and from this particular doubt which  I had few months back in analysis i Asked GM Uri Blass to confirm this. And what i found is
1. Rybka is not optimized to play before moves 10 (Vas)
2. Use Naum 4.x for 1e4 e5 as its the best.
3. Close Position ? Shredder is King
4. Attacking Moves ? Fritz 10 and Hiarcs PB 2007.
5 Opening Novelties Shredder 12,Naum 4.2  Stockfish 1.6s , Fritz 12 and Shreddy 12 boy.
6. More pieces  and material imbalance Rybka 3.
So i would suggest use Naum 4. If you need it plz PM  Smileyme.

IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 03/29/10 at 02:15:17
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 03/28/10 at 22:44:35:
Master Om wrote on 03/28/10 at 13:04:43:
Let me explain you bit by bit as you dont seem to understand properly about engine analysis.
First the thing is For how much time you run an engine it evaluates the position as it was programmed. But The Analyser must know What and How to run them . There is no human present on earth that can beat a Computer program Tactics and for your kind information tactical ideaas comes from positional plans or strategical plans. If you think an engine is tacticaly stronger doesnot understand Strategy then it would be a dumb thing from you. That was the reason why Vas made 4 Engines  of Rybka just to use in analysis and GM Larry kaufman has put Positional ideas in Rybka 3 just for that and it is the best engine so far. So if you think Engines dont understand then that is foolish.
Second thing is all engines are unique to a particular position ( and that i can prove ) , While adding Strategical plans we need to proof that if we miss tactical shot or not.

A human being able to beat an engine's tactics in practical play is [b]irrelevant, because a human + computer can beat a computer (as seen before in correspondence play), this renders their purposes in analysis inferior to a human in conjunction with the computer, especially when evaluating theoretical positions in the opening.[/b]

And engines still don't understand positional play on par with humans, [b]including Rybka. This is why a strong chess player is still needed to guide it.
[/b]
Quote:
Third thing is If you think Infinite analysis is what i run to find the analysis then you are 100% wrong . I use my own analysis method using Persistent hash and that too Using Backward Analysis. It is not automated one Human interact is necessary. This method is used by Free style Players only in which GM Kosten is so good.

Hint: You're not the only one that uses backward analysis - do you seriously think you have some kind of special techniques with computer analysis that sets you apart from the rest? Drop the charade already.

If the human interacting isn't a good chess player the analysis itself and the evalutions cannot be trusted, regardless of how good their software is.

Quote:
And finally what it seems to be the truth is not actually . I have played many positions i shared in my analysis except  what bucker said upto 6 piece endgame and white has no chance of getting into the game in most positions.
And last but not the least It is Weakness in chess if your opponent can exploit.

Chronic structural weaknesses can be eventually exploited, which still doesn't explain the atrocious 13. Nxd5 which is as shortsighted as it gets.

Thats why I use Human + Engine Analysis.

Engines not understanding positional Ideas is Rubbish. It seems you are unaware of all those. Chess programming has gone to new level. My Pocket Fritz 4.2 beats Fritz 5.32 on quad Q6600 3.0 GHz. . This you can confirm from GM Larry Kaufman who put positional Ideas in Rybka. That is why Rybka File size is Bigger than any engine.

Yes I have a diffrent set of analysis technique and one of them Montecarlo Analysis running on depth 16 , 8cores. where HUman interaction is not necessary and you get all the moves with probability of the moves no move remains untouched there and upto the end game . Tactics is always important than Strategy b'coz strategy is needed for Tactics.

It is not what it seems. Thats not Chronic . Your Diagonisis is probably static not Dyanmic.

IP Logged

SWJediknight
God Member

Alert... opponent out
of book!

Reply #9 - 03/29/10 at 00:15:31
Post Tools
Is there a specific engine which is supposed to be good in these Two Knights lines?  I note that Fritz tends to agree with most of the PGN's assessments in the 6.d4 lines, but regards some of the play as sub-optimal (e.g. Kaissiber 29's suggested improvement 12.Nc3! over the old 12.Na3 is given by Fritz as best after about five seconds' thought, assessing it as +=). 

But in contrast, Fritz goes further than my "roughly equal" assessment of the lines I gave after 9.Qe4 and 9.0-0 in the Fried Liver, often giving "+=" or even "+/-".

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #8 - 03/28/10 at 22:44:35
Post Tools
Master Om wrote on 03/28/10 at 13:04:43:
Let me explain you bit by bit as you dont seem to understand properly about engine analysis.
First the thing is For how much time you run an engine it evaluates the position as it was programmed. But The Analyser must know What and How to run them . There is no human present on earth that can beat a Computer program Tactics and for your kind information tactical ideaas comes from positional plans or strategical plans. If you think an engine is tacticaly stronger doesnot understand Strategy then it would be a dumb thing from you. That was the reason why Vas made 4 Engines  of Rybka just to use in analysis and GM Larry kaufman has put Positional ideas in Rybka 3 just for that and it is the best engine so far. So if you think Engines dont understand then that is foolish.
Second thing is all engines are unique to a particular position ( and that i can prove ) , While adding Strategical plans we need to proof that if we miss tactical shot or not.

A human being able to beat an engine's tactics in practical play is irrelevant, because a human + computer can beat a computer (as seen before in correspondence play), this renders their purposes in analysis inferior to a human in conjunction with the computer, especially when evaluating theoretical positions in the opening.

And engines still don't understand positional play on par with humans, including Rybka. This is why a strong chess player is still needed to guide it.

Quote:
Third thing is If you think Infinite analysis is what i run to find the analysis then you are 100% wrong . I use my own analysis method using Persistent hash and that too Using Backward Analysis. It is not automated one Human interact is necessary. This method is used by Free style Players only in which GM Kosten is so good.

Hint: You're not the only one that uses backward analysis - do you seriously think you have some kind of special techniques with computer analysis that sets you apart from the rest? Drop the charade already.

Quote:
And finally what it seems to be the truth is not actually . I have played many positions i shared in my analysis except  what bucker said upto 6 piece endgame and white has no chance of getting into the game in most positions.
And last but not the least It is Weakness in chess if your opponent can exploit.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/28/10 at 13:04:43
Post Tools
BPaulsen wrote on 03/28/10 at 04:11:26:
Master Om wrote on 03/28/10 at 03:13:05:
BPaulsen wrote on 03/27/10 at 21:27:04:
With all due respect, some of the evaluations make zero sense positionally (and they wouldn't to any master level player, I suspect), I'll give one example from Om's analysis (and there are more from what I can already tell, but this is for starters to highlight the problem - there's a number of similar positions where black has the isolated Pe6 and white has the bishop pair that he calls equal):

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Nxd5 6. d4 Be6 7. Nxe6 fxe6 8. dxe5 Nxe5 9. Qh5 Ng6 10. 0-0 Qd7

This position is not equal no matter what angle you look at it from even though he already calls it that, white has the B pair and black has a  chronic weakness sitting on e6. Black doesn't have any significant dynamic factor that off-sets these.

However, if you continue further into what Om gives you get this horrific continuation - 11. Nc3 0-0-0 12. Rd1 c6 13. Nxd5 (deserves an "?!") exd5 - of course black's equal, white for some unknown reason as decided to fix black's structure and blunt his bishop pair in the process. Why is this move the main one given? Computers like it even though it's questionable strategically.

Computer analysis is great, but they suck at long term positional issues. This is why humans have to direct them.

First of all most of the lines were from Maarten de Zeuw Analysis. Second thing is in most lines given by him I myself proof checked it running Rybkas for whole days on 8 cores.
Quote:
Computer analysis is great, but they suck at long term positional issues.

Regarding this I dont agree fully. There are lots of way of analysis. This is true Human has to direct and that is what i have done.

What's 1 day, why not a week, a year, or a decade?

The time it spends calculating it doesn't magically change long-term positional features that are going to be there for a long time.

Computers are useful, however every single human should know better than to base an evaluation solely on a number an engine spits out in the early stages of the game.

If the line I mentioned was analysis done by someone else, then I find his judgement of that line questionable.

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #6 - 03/28/10 at 04:11:26
Post Tools
Master Om wrote on 03/28/10 at 03:13:05:
BPaulsen wrote on 03/27/10 at 21:27:04:
With all due respect, some of the evaluations make zero sense positionally (and they wouldn't to any master level player, I suspect), I'll give one example from Om's analysis (and there are more from what I can already tell, but this is for starters to highlight the problem - there's a number of similar positions where black has the isolated Pe6 and white has the bishop pair that he calls equal):

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Nxd5 6. d4 Be6 7. Nxe6 fxe6 8. dxe5 Nxe5 9. Qh5 Ng6 10. 0-0 Qd7

This position is not equal no matter what angle you look at it from even though he already calls it that, white has the B pair and black has a  chronic weakness sitting on e6. Black doesn't have any significant dynamic factor that off-sets these.

However, if you continue further into what Om gives you get this horrific continuation - 11. Nc3 0-0-0 12. Rd1 c6 13. Nxd5 (deserves an "?!") exd5 - of course black's equal, white for some unknown reason as decided to fix black's structure and blunt his bishop pair in the process. Why is this move the main one given? Computers like it even though it's questionable strategically.

Computer analysis is great, but they suck at long term positional issues. This is why humans have to direct them.

First of all most of the lines were from Maarten de Zeuw Analysis. Second thing is in most lines given by him I myself proof checked it running Rybkas for whole days on 8 cores.
Quote:
Computer analysis is great, but they suck at long term positional issues.

Regarding this I dont agree fully. There are lots of way of analysis. This is true Human has to direct and that is what i have done.

What's 1 day, why not a week, a year, or a decade?

The time it spends calculating it doesn't magically change long-term positional features that are going to be there for a long time.

Computers are useful, however every single human should know better than to base an evaluation solely on a number an engine spits out in the early stages of the game.

If the line I mentioned was analysis done by someone else, then I find his judgement of that line questionable.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 03/26/10 at 03:02:59
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 03/25/10 at 17:55:50:
Master Om wrote on 03/25/10 at 17:31:41:
But you should know what engines to use where.
Just for your Idea. If you want to analyse Endings with more pawns then Use Zappa mexico II, If you have a position where double bishop is key use Naum 4.x , If you want to see a prophylactic move then use Deep Shredder 12 and Position is Tactical then Use Rybka Dynamic or Spark 0.3a ( better in openings where tactics is needed.). And if you want Novelty then go for Hiarcs Paderborn 2007 or Deep Junior 11.1a

God, is this what chess has become?  I'm all for using an engine to help analyze, but I'd rather not keep a whole kennel of them.  They get to howling at the moon, you know.

Are you unaware of all this things. Big GMs buy big hardwares to analyse. Ivanchuk has two 32 cores in his chess school. Peter svidler has recently bought a 32 way (nehalem EP) , Anand has a 64 way and has the biggest Database collection to date apart from the free style winner  Nelson Hernadez. Whatever a human does he cant be strong tactically. The only chance that a human can prevail is in endgame and that too ore than 6 pieces on board.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/10 at 17:55:50
Post Tools
Master Om wrote on 03/25/10 at 17:31:41:
But you should know what engines to use where.
Just for your Idea. If you want to analyse Endings with more pawns then Use Zappa mexico II, If you have a position where double bishop is key use Naum 4.x , If you want to see a prophylactic move then use Deep Shredder 12 and Position is Tactical then Use Rybka Dynamic or Spark 0.3a ( better in openings where tactics is needed.). And if you want Novelty then go for Hiarcs Paderborn 2007 or Deep Junior 11.1a

God, is this what chess has become?  I'm all for using an engine to help analyze, but I'd rather not keep a whole kennel of them.  They get to howling at the moon, you know.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/25/10 at 02:18:33
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 03/24/10 at 18:43:13:
How the hell do you have access to a 32 core server!?! Dang!  Cheesy

From my college.

IP Logged

Master Om

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/25/10 at 02:15:38
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 03/24/10 at 18:47:26:

I have access to a 20 core server, but my employers would be a tad upset if I ran Rybka on it.

I run it in my college on a AMD opteron servers mobos  having 8 opteron quads. I run it overnight in my college or through remotely. One of my friend Sujay Jaganathan runs it on 128 cores when he does his analysis. Sometimes I get it through remotely for analysis.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/24/10 at 18:47:26
Post Tools

I have access to a 20 core server, but my employers would be a tad upset if I ran Rybka on it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Merits and Limits of Computerized Analysis
03/24/10 at 18:43:13
Post Tools

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo