Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C00-C19: Studying the Games of.... (Read 10812 times)
Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Re: Studying the Games of....
Reply #23 - 06/17/10 at 22:14:50
Post Tools
Luis Moreno wrote on 06/17/10 at 15:05:46:
The name of the book is THE FRENCH DEFENSE (Modern Practice) by GM Alexander Kalinin which mostly uses symbolic ( Informant type)...

Thanks a lot for the information, Very appreciated!

STEFANOS wrote on 06/17/10 at 18:35:19:
I recommend a very old book of Gligoric's from RHM Press I think around 1973. Has lot of games to play and with good analysis by Karpov, Uhlmann etc. Then Taulbut's "How to play the French" from the 80's and go for Uhlmann's "Winning with the French".
Study of these books will provide very good understanding of the opening. After check a recent database and  choose your favourite variations.

Thanks STEFANOS ! Very helpfull as well.

A long time ago I studied Uhlmann and Talbot and still have Uhlmann on my book shelves. Will try get some of your recommendations.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 06/17/10 at 18:35:19
Post Tools
I recommend a very old book of Gligoric's from RHM Press I think around 1973. Has lot of games to play and with good analysis by Karpov, Uhlmann etc. Then Taulbut's "How to play the French" from the 80's and go for Uhlmann's "Winning with the French".
Study of these books will provide very good understanding of the opening. After check a recent database and  choose your favourite variations.

IP Logged

Luis Moreno
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 06/17/10 at 15:05:46
Post Tools
Sorry for the misspellings, I will be more carefull in the future.
The name of the book is THE FRENCH DEFENSE (Modern Practice) by GM Alexander Kalinin which mostly uses symbolic ( Informant type) language, before each chapter there is an explanation of the line in 4 different languages English, Spanish, Russian and the fourth I think is German, in the final chapter there are exercises on strategy and tactics of typical french middlegame positions. As I already told you, my Kids' coach uses this book a lot and according to him is like the bible of the French defense, to give you a better idea of this book I will copy a little extract from the preface:
"In contrast to the usual books on openings that contain only refernce data, the Self Tutor has the aim of revealing to its readers the conceptual sense of the openings and their inseparable links with the middlegame, demostrating typical plans, procedures and tactical subtleties that are characteristic of the opening in question. For this purpose, the SELF TUTOR contains complete games played in the last ten years, thus combining recent achievments in theory with examples of middlegame strategy. This approach enables the book to de used in several ways: as a reference book on opening theory, as a source for systematic study, and as a useful tool for broadening one's chess horizons."
Lines down in the preface also says:
" Several of the games given here were played in the period prior to the 1990's, they have been included for their instructional value; all these games were milestones on the road of opening theory, and without them our account would be incomplete"
I hope all this information I am giving is helpfull.
Regards:

LUIS Smiley

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #20 - 06/17/10 at 09:37:02
Post Tools
Thanks MnB and ReneDescartes  Smiley

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #19 - 06/17/10 at 06:38:37
Post Tools
Smbat lputian too.
A cracker.
Him and uhlmann for crushing lesser mortals in xchange particularly.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #18 - 06/17/10 at 01:32:20
Post Tools
dom wrote on 06/16/10 at 19:09:15:
Yusupov => Jussupow (I use myself the Y letter sometimes instead of the "russian" J)
Wienacer => Winaver

The J is German. In Russian the J and the u are one letter. Jussupow is the correct spelling since he is a German citizen.
Winawer was Polish, so this is the correct spelling.
For similar reasons we should spell Alekhine and not Aljechin, as the Dutch prefer.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #17 - 06/16/10 at 21:28:04
Post Tools
There exists a book by Kalinen:

Kalinen, Alexander. French Defense.  Moscow: Russian Chess House,  2002.

I do not own it, but it is available from Convekta. It is said to be composed of variations and Sahovski Informator symbols, with very little text.

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #16 - 06/16/10 at 20:46:48
Post Tools
@Luis Moreno, I really liked your post - seams like a post of love to the French - and I understood all the names without any problems.

I guess the book you mentioned is "Opening Repertoire for the Positional Player" (Cadogan Chess Books) - Paperback (30 Sep 1996) by Eduard Gufeld, Nikolai Kalinichenko and translated by K.P. Neat. - I intend to by it.

I cannot find any from 1997.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #15 - 06/16/10 at 19:09:15
Post Tools
@Luis Moreno: sorry to correct you but many players names are wrong, giving difficulty to read your post.

Yusupov => Jussupow (I use myself the Y letter sometimes instead of the "russian" J)
Uhlman => Uhlmann
Wienacer => Winaver
Mosalenko => Moskalenko
Mac Cautcheon  or Mac=> M(a)c Cutcheon

and more important:

Khalinin => Kalinichenko (and your book is "An Opening Repertoire for the positional player" Eduard Gufeld - Nikolai Kalinichenko - Cadogan Press 1997)

Am I right ?

@Bowen: off topics too...but I can now disagree because Karpov wrote book "How to find the right plan with A.Karpov ?" (not an opening book) released last april  Smiley  ... and maybe he is too at first stage (step 1 "being elected FIDE president") of one multi-stages plan  Cool ... and I don't know if last stage is : step N "resign vs elected president" following Gary example  Tongue

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

Luis Moreno
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 06/15/10 at 22:22:58
Post Tools
Hello, I decided to play the french defense when I saw the games of the match Sokolov-Yusupov, even thought Yusupov lost that match, I was amazed by the way Yusupov handled the FRench defense, it was more than 20 years ago; then I researched and found Vaganian´s games very instructive, then Korchnoi, Uhlman, etc. My point is that there is not a special player to follow or a special position to search into, because the French defense is so rich in ideas  and plans, that ma<ny times I enjoyed going thru Nogueiras´s games or even the game where Ivanchuk beat Kasparov with the bishop retreat ..., Bf8; all the true lovers of the french defense just enjoy any good game of a strong player, and dosen´t matter if it is a Wienawer, Mac, Rubinstein, Advance , Tarrasch, we are like the dragoneers, just enjoy playing or going thru a French game. To answer your question directly, my kids´coach, a 2400 player and a Frenchie too, when he shows my daughter the proper way to handle the French defense in any particular line, he ALWAYS looks Khalinin´s book, he uses that book even more than Watson´s or MOsalenko´s to name a few, he uses that book even more than the yearbooks, my daughter when she started playing the french played Winawer Qa5 line, then she switched for Qd7 with b6, and now she is preparing for the Panamerican Youth, her coach suggested to switch to the Mac Cautcheon, I agreed so I got Mosalenko, Yearbooks and all kind of info, but her coach asked me to bring the old Khalinin book to go over with my daughter some very instructive games first and then study the lines in other sources. So if you are asking for a game collection to get the main ideas of the French defense I would suggest Khalinin´s. I hope that my advice would help you.
Greetings from Lima - Peru.

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 04/10/10 at 19:05:20
Post Tools
Slightly off topic...I am still awaiting a recent collection of Karpov's greatest games by the man himself. He seems to write books mostly on the topic of openings. Ironically, to study games collections of Karpov's one needs to buy books written by Kasparov.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 04/10/10 at 14:43:09
Post Tools
Bowen wrote on 04/10/10 at 13:38:16:
This may not go over well with a true French Player such as yourself.

That's what I call an undeserved compliment, I am absolutely not faithful. I play the French for exactly the same reason as you.
If you choose the Burn you will also have to study the Steinitz and the Tarrasch. The Fort Knox is a good shortcut, even though it's not my preference at all.
Surprisingly Karpov is your man. He knows how to win with it, albeit in rapid games. Epishin has played it more often, but never won and lost twice. Also check Stojanovic.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 04/10/10 at 13:38:16
Post Tools
This may not go over well with a true French Player such as yourself. But McDonald recommends the Fort Knox. I was planning that or The Burn Variation. As I get more comfortable with the opening (speed games on ICC) I will try to swing over to the type of lines you suggest. That is very helpful and may help me save a lot of time down the road!

Ironically, I wanted to start playing the Dutch and wished to avoid all the Anti-Dutch lines. As a result I looked at responding to 1.d4 with e6. Always aware of some weasel sneaking up on me with a 2. e4, I started to look at the French. The more I see the more I like the looks of it, I must admit!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #10 - 04/10/10 at 12:59:10
Post Tools
Bowen wrote on 04/10/10 at 12:40:16:
Despite the words to the old song, time is NOT on my side!

In that case you should rather buy a few good books. Goes much faster than analysing a lot of games. That approach is thorough and time consuming. And certainly you should narrow your search field.

What do you intend to play against 3.Nc3 ?
What do you intend to play against 3.Nd2 ?
Against the Advance I recommend ...Nh6 stuff. Moskalenko beat Sveshnikov with it.
Against the Exchange 4.Bd3 I recommend Nc6 followed by castling queenside. For this you need a database.

PS: don't chose the Winawer Poisoned Pawn. That one needs a lot of preparation or you will get crushed.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 04/10/10 at 12:48:39
Post Tools
Thank you Willempie, strong and well thought out suggestions. I obviously have a lot of work to do before I can ever call myself a "French Defence player".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo