Latest Updates:
Normal Topic GM Davies DVD: Build a 1.d4 Repertoire (Read 3652 times)
TN
God Member

Re: GM Davies DVD: Build a 1.d4 Repertoire
Reply #3 - 04/14/10 at 08:45:12
Post Tools
Sylvester wrote on 04/11/10 at 19:49:05:
This DVD seems to lack information about the position after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6.

If I remember correctly GM Davies said that 3.e3 was a reasonable move after Black had played ...d5. What is the White continuation after 3...g6 or 3...c6. I think the buyer should have been given this advice.

He also made a comment about 3.c4 being a major departure point (and so it is!). However, GM Davies doesn't elaborate here and I think he should have done so. Are there any transpositions into the rest of the DVD? If so, what are they? Will this mean a steep rise into theory or are there economical choices at this point too? Buyers should expect this guidance shouldn't they?

GM Davies, could you make a reply here?

All you need to know is that 3.c4 is the only way to fight for an advantage, and avoiding c4 altogether will get you nowhere very fast.

As for 3.c4:

a) 3...e6 transposes to a QGD where the Nge2 Exchange is avoided. Not that White should worry too much since 4.Nc3 is almost as good, as is 4.g3.

b) 3...c6 can be met by a range of options, the best of which is 4.Nc3 followed by 4.e3, then 4.cd5. Schandorff's your guide for this line.

c) 3...dc4 is best met with 4.e3, or failing that, 4.Nc3. Play 7.Bb3 if you want an edge and are willing to study some theory to attain it, and 7.a4 or another line if you don't.

After 3.e3, White has to play 4.c4 against every serious 3rd move to fight for any edge, but then why not play c4 a move earlier? Still, I have to admit that this isn't a bad transpositional trick  every now and then, e.g. against someone who plays 3.e3 c5 only and 3.c4 c6 only.

In my experience combining 2.c4 and 2.Nf3 for some variety is best. One can't play the same openings for a decade without feeling a bit stale.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #2 - 04/13/10 at 15:08:13
Post Tools
Could you tell me more about the 'savings' on theory?

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/13/10 at 05:58:02
Post Tools
All that 2. Nf3 really does is prevent black from playing 1- The albin counter gambit 2- Budapest 3- Nimzo Indian
So the white player better have a nice QID repertoire ready since the NID is not coming.
The white player also has to make a sacrifice of the Samisch for the KID, the f3 moves in both the Benko and Benoni. But it is a theory saver move I've used forever in my 1.d4 repertoire.

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

GM Davies DVD: Build a 1.d4 Repertoire
04/11/10 at 19:49:05
Post Tools
This DVD seems to lack information about the position after 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6.

If I remember correctly GM Davies said that 3.e3 was a reasonable move after Black had played ...d5. What is the White continuation after 3...g6 or 3...c6. I think the buyer should have been given this advice.

He also made a comment about 3.c4 being a major departure point (and so it is!). However, GM Davies doesn't elaborate here and I think he should have done so. Are there any transpositions into the rest of the DVD? If so, what are they? Will this mean a steep rise into theory or are there economical choices at this point too? Buyers should expect this guidance shouldn't they?

GM Davies, could you make a reply here?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo