Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 266519 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #197 - 11/10/14 at 01:08:07
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 11/09/14 at 23:38:04:
But the Rossolimo often seems to have taken over as the main line on both amateur and GM level (is it fair to still call it an "Anti-Sicilian"!?) and it's a bit of a headache to find the optimal solution to. And both 3.c3 and 3.Nc3 must also be taken very seriously. So the book has a wide potential readership!

It definitely feels that way to me as well. I wrote in the intro that around 50% of my games after 2..Nc6 are Rossolimos, but maybe it's just slightly less, 40% or so (I rarely play OTB - this statistic was compiled on ICC, where I'm ~2300 standard and 2000 blitz - decidedly "club level"). That's still a ton, and it's an important line. I like 3...Nf6 because the positions are really interesting, but also because it's less known and White players aren't prepared as well. At the level mentioned above, I very, very rarely see the critical 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.Nc3! g6 5.e5, but in the book I dedicate over twenty pages to it.

Actually there's a very similar phenomena with with the main line of the Kalashnikov after 6.N1c3 a6 7.Na3 Be7!? - Chapter 1 covers the most important move, 8.Nc4 and is almost 40 pages, but I rarely see the position. This repertoire is nice in that way.

Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #196 - 11/10/14 at 00:31:13
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 11/09/14 at 16:29:14:
even if it's non-Kalashnikov players incorporating some of the Anti-Sicilian ideas into their repertoire.

For me it will probably be the other way round. I might combine the Kalashnikov with the Accelerate Dragon and avoid the Maroczy.
It's a bit of a pity that you don't mention GM John van der Wiel in your introduction. He invented the name The Kalashnikov in the second half ofthe 80's. There are some obscure Dutch sources to prove this.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/dossier-archief/schaken-handige-knoeier-laat-fritz-spel...

"een heel andere variant die van John van der Wiel de naam 'Kalasjnikov' heeft meegekregen."
An entire differnt variation which received frm John van de Wiel the name "Kalasjnikov".

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #195 - 11/09/14 at 23:38:04
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 11/09/14 at 16:29:14:
Thanks guys, hope everyone likes it and finds something useful in there, even if it's non-Kalashnikov players incorporating some of the Anti-Sicilian ideas into their repertoire.

That's a very good point. I've been considering taking up several Sicilians that can be played from a 2...Nc6 move order (including my old favorite, the Kalashnikov itself).

But the Rossolimo often seems to have taken over as the main line on both amateur and GM level (is it fair to still call it an "Anti-Sicilian"!?) and it's a bit of a headache to find the optimal solution to. And both 3.c3 and 3.Nc3 must also be taken very seriously. So the book has a wide potential readership!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Crapov

Reply #194 - 11/09/14 at 22:21:19
Post Tools
It's been awhile since I bought a chess book, but I'm gonna treat myself with this one for christmas. Looks exciting!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #193 - 11/09/14 at 16:29:14
Post Tools
Thanks guys, hope everyone likes it and finds something useful in there, even if it's non-Kalashnikov players incorporating some of the Anti-Sicilian ideas into their repertoire.

Indeed, for those curious about more of the contents and the intro, Amazon UK has a larger/different chunk compared to the Everyman excerpt.
« Last Edit: 11/09/14 at 18:42:01 by TonyRo »  

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #192 - 11/09/14 at 12:58:32
Post Tools
Just check the excerpt, looks good. If anyone is interested in the index of variations, check out the 'Look inside' feature on Amazon. I find this more useful than any publisher PDFs.

Congratulations, TonyRo, it looks like a great repertoire, especially as you addressed the important 3.Nc3 issue that every Kalashnikovite must deal with.

I've always been a French player and am not sure I'll make the transition to the Kalashnikov, but it sure looks intersting. I'm away at a tournament next weekend so I'll get my grubby paws on it for a closer look.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #191 - 11/09/14 at 08:40:48
Post Tools
Like the look of the excerpt. Hopefully be out his month.

Must be nice to finally get I finished  Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #190 - 10/28/14 at 04:29:20
Post Tools
Maybe you will in a few months! The nice thing about the Kalashnikov (I mention this in the intro, but it might have gotten cut out in the excerpt) is that Black really gets the choice as to whether or not he wants to play a protracted maneuvering middlegame or something more violent, e.g. the early 6.c4 with ...f5 lines.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #189 - 10/28/14 at 04:07:06
Post Tools
Congrats on a great achievement.  I don't eat enough red meat to play 1.c5, but will look out for it at my local B&N and pick up a copy.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #188 - 10/27/14 at 17:36:27
Post Tools
Yeah quite an amazing game.

Thanks for the kind words - I hope that readers still find it enjoyable when they're about half way through the nearly 500 pages of it...

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #187 - 10/27/14 at 16:08:51
Post Tools
Never realised that La Bourdonnais game was in this stuff. Nice thing to have for an introduction Smiley

The exerpt does indeed seem to be very readably written. Hard to achieve with chess books that and very commendable.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #186 - 10/27/14 at 14:19:39
Post Tools
Looking forward to hearing what you think! Thanks again for all of your help.

Wink

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #185 - 10/27/14 at 13:57:32
Post Tools
Great news, Tony, and thanks for the kind mention!

I've been honing my anti-Sicilians in readiness and practising the Kalashnikov in our post-club casual games in the pub, where it almost always manages to 'cause trouble', even in my hands! I can't wait to get my mitts on the book!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #184 - 10/27/14 at 13:22:48
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/27/14 at 09:25:12:
TonyRo wrote on 10/16/14 at 14:57:33:
464 pages when all was said and done - quite the tome. I am giving it a final look-see, and at the latest the book is off to the printers by the end of next week. Cheers!

And it even has a bibliography. Congratulations!

I thought you'd like that Stefan. Wink

It's funny - the intro was so long they couldn't give the whole thing out with the excerpt.  Shocked

I also found their apparent level of excitement over the foreword (perhaps because I'm a chess nobody) humorous - they updated the website (it's in bold), they put it on the title page, etc.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #183 - 10/27/14 at 09:25:12
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 10/16/14 at 14:57:33:
464 pages when all was said and done - quite the tome. I am giving it a final look-see, and at the latest the book is off to the printers by the end of next week. Cheers!

And it even has a bibliography. Congratulations!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo