Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 283519 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: Again on the Kalshnikov
Reply #32 - 09/21/10 at 13:14:52
Post Tools
Thanks! I'm hoping it will be a masterpiece, but only time will tell.

I contacted Everyman with the idea, wrote them a sample, and that at least opened the door.

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #31 - 09/21/10 at 12:37:38
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 09/10/10 at 16:09:42:
najdorfslayer wrote on 09/10/10 at 16:03:14:
From our correspondance games Tony I thought you were more fond of the Dragon!  Roll Eyes

It took me quite a few years before I burned myself out on the Dragon, although I still like to play it from time to time. I needed to move on to something else to learn something about chess without a bishop on g7, so I took up the ...e5 Sicilians and fell in love with the Kalashnikov! What can I say, I have an addictive personality!

I've always been obsessive about chess books and opening theory, so writing is a dream come true. I hope it comes through in the book, and that it's a great book for years to come.

Congratulations on finding a publisher for your project! I´ll definitely buy it, because your contributions in this forum are well known, so I expect nothing else than a masterpiece.  Wink

How did you get this chance?

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 09/10/10 at 16:13:29
Post Tools
Well Good Luck, I am sure it will be great!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #29 - 09/10/10 at 16:09:42
Post Tools
najdorfslayer wrote on 09/10/10 at 16:03:14:
From our correspondance games Tony I thought you were more fond of the Dragon!  Roll Eyes

It took me quite a few years before I burned myself out on the Dragon, although I still like to play it from time to time. I needed to move on to something else to learn something about chess without a bishop on g7, so I took up the ...e5 Sicilians and fell in love with the Kalashnikov! What can I say, I have an addictive personality!

I've always been obsessive about chess books and opening theory, so writing is a dream come true. I hope it comes through in the book, and that it's a great book for years to come.

IP Logged

najdorfslayer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 09/10/10 at 16:03:14
Post Tools

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #27 - 09/10/10 at 11:12:29
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/10/10 at 04:21:02:
Aha. I had you as an opening enthusiast rather than expert though.
If you need help, give me a shout. Busy, but can try.I made it into Neil Mcdonald's Kalashnikov book, many moons ago! Best of luck. Why not collaborate with Neil btw?

I just might. I didn't really even think of a collaborative effort before I was off and running writing, although it's not a bad idea. I don't know how much he's kept up with the opening. It's certainly changed a lot since his book. Even Aagaard and Pinski's book is pretty outdated.

If the book is as good as I think it is (and John Emms isn't being kind when I send him sample chapters!), it should be the best book on the Kalashnikov by far, even though the coverage won't be encyclopedic.

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #26 - 09/10/10 at 06:47:50
Post Tools
Schaakhamster wrote on 09/10/10 at 06:28:16:
Who's the publisher?

Everyman Chess.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 09/10/10 at 06:28:16
Post Tools
Who's the publisher?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #24 - 09/10/10 at 04:21:02
Post Tools
Aha. I had you as an opening enthusiast rather than expert though.
If you need help, give me a shout. Busy, but can try.I made it into Neil Mcdonald's Kalashnikov book, many moons ago! Best of luck. Why not collaborate with Neil btw?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #23 - 09/10/10 at 03:12:30
Post Tools
Who!? Cmon - I'm insulted!  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #22 - 09/10/10 at 02:52:54
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 09/09/10 at 21:28:46:
There is a new book for 2011 on the Kalashnikov Sicilian called: The Killer Sicilian: Fighting 1e4 with the Kalashnikov by Tony Rotella

Quote:
Are you searching for a new weapon against 1 e4? Look no further - choose the Killer Sicilian!

In this book, opening expert Tony Rotella presents a Sicilian repertoire for Black, the backbone of which consists of the Kalashnikov Variation. The Kalashnikov is an ideal choice for those looking to take up the Sicilian. Black follows an easy-to-learn system of development, with clear strategic aims. What's more, in many lines Black can choose between aggressive and positional options. It's no coincidence that the Kalashnikov has attracted such attacking talents as World Championship candidate Teimour Radjabov and multi-time US Champion Alexander Shabalov.

Rotella critically examines the main lines and lucidly explains the key positional and tactical ideas for both sides. He also shows what Black should do against White's various Anti-Sicilian options. Read this book and unleash the Killer Sicilian!

◦A Killer Sicilian repertoire for Black
◦Also includes Anti-Sicilian coverage
◦Packed with new ideas and critical analysis.

Smiley

Who? Title/rating?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #21 - 09/10/10 at 01:29:33
Post Tools
Yeah, and I expect this book will be well worth having, as well as interesting to read.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #20 - 09/09/10 at 21:28:46
Post Tools
There is a new book for 2011 on the Kalashnikov Sicilian called: The Killer Sicilian: Fighting 1e4 with the Kalashnikov by Tony Rotella

Quote:
Are you searching for a new weapon against 1 e4? Look no further - choose the Killer Sicilian!

In this book, opening expert Tony Rotella presents a Sicilian repertoire for Black, the backbone of which consists of the Kalashnikov Variation. The Kalashnikov is an ideal choice for those looking to take up the Sicilian. Black follows an easy-to-learn system of development, with clear strategic aims. What's more, in many lines Black can choose between aggressive and positional options. It's no coincidence that the Kalashnikov has attracted such attacking talents as World Championship candidate Teimour Radjabov and multi-time US Champion Alexander Shabalov.

Rotella critically examines the main lines and lucidly explains the key positional and tactical ideas for both sides. He also shows what Black should do against White's various Anti-Sicilian options. Read this book and unleash the Killer Sicilian!

◦A Killer Sicilian repertoire for Black
◦Also includes Anti-Sicilian coverage
◦Packed with new ideas and critical analysis.

Smiley

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #19 - 07/30/10 at 07:54:03
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 07/29/10 at 17:38:29:
It's not particularly easy for White to gain an edge against any of Blacks' options. He's quite solid. I wonder why you'd choose to play this line instead of just learning a bit of stuff against the Sicilians that you're trying to avoid?

Its a valid question, I dont always play 3.Nc3 but it does manage to avoid 2 important lines: Sveshnikov & early Qb6 system (which is under-estimated in my view) At top level its also popular so its worth having it in your repertoire.

Also the thing is against 3.Nc3 I think 3...e5 is a solid line theoretically for Black, but its not to everybodys taste to play those positions, and White is very safe, whereas 3...Nd4 I just don't believe in.

IP Logged

Templare2

Mess with the best, die
like the rest

Reply #18 - 07/29/10 at 21:32:47
Post Tools
That's a good idea! Why not?

"Forza e onore!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo