Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 384380 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #311 - 01/16/15 at 00:06:47
Post Tools
Thanks a lot John, you just made my day - means a lot coming from the man who wrote The Berlin Wall.

IMJohnCox wrote on 01/15/15 at 23:08:10:
It also introduced me to the expression 'go to the mattresses', whose derivation I defy anyone who doesn't know it to guess. Worth the purchase price for that alone.

This is what happens when you let an Italian-American write a chess book.  Grin  Wink  Shocked

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #310 - 01/15/15 at 23:08:10
Post Tools
I'd just like to say I think this is a really good book. Congratulations to TonyRo.

I qualify that by saying that don't know enough about the material to say whether there are things omitted, or whether the analysis is correct.

What is obvious though is that the explanations are very good, in my opinion striking exactly the right balance between words and moves, that the lines chosen are interesting, the level of detail just right, and that the book is well-written and organised. That's a hell of a good start, placing it immediately in the top 10% at least of opening books.

It also introduced me to the expression 'go to the mattresses', whose derivation I defy anyone who doesn't know it to guess. Worth the purchase price for that alone.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #309 - 01/13/15 at 20:57:30
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 01/13/15 at 20:39:25:
To be honest I think that I might also study your 2...Nf6 but for the Morra...

This is one pro of playing this line - I used to always accept the Morra with 2...cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 d6 6.Bc4 a6 and still do on occasion, but with the Esserman and Langrock books being published and relatively popular, I like transposing to the c3 lines to try and annoy them more these days.

DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 01/13/15 at 20:39:25:
The material is absolutely in depth for someone like me, and much higher. I think that Radjabow could learn a lot from your book  Smiley

I decided to err on the side of over-analyzing, or just analyzing deeply. My thought was thought lower rated players could read the intro and just play through the bold lines while reading the commentary, then use it as a reference, while stronger players could deepen their knowledge and delve into the analysis more diligently. We'll see how people like it.

And if you're reading this thread Teimour (Wink), message me and tell me what you think!  Grin

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #308 - 01/13/15 at 20:53:10
Post Tools
So then you will have three (quite) different variations of the Sicilian in addition to the Pirc, French and Caro-Kann?

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #307 - 01/13/15 at 20:39:25
Post Tools
To be honest I think that I might also study your 2...Nf6 but for the Morra, which I have no idea what to do since no one plays it to me, bit then it lind of just makes sense to apply it tp 2. c3 too  Smiley. I have your book in my rucksack to bring to read in between rounds for next tournaments, I see the Kalashnikow very rarely even at my level 2300-2350 and even when I see boards near me, I think that I shall add this to my Najdorf and Kan. Been avwhile since I tried any 2...Nc6 Sicilians. I should add that this is an advantage of your book. The material is abbsolutely in depth for someone like me, and much higher. I think that Radjabow could learn a lot from your book  Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #306 - 01/13/15 at 20:32:48
Post Tools
Yes, if you play the French that's certainly a promising way to play. Not all of us are so talented!  Cheesy

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #305 - 01/13/15 at 20:28:37
Post Tools
Personally I just play 2...e6 when people play 2. c3. Thos aims to transpose into the French advance which is fine because I play both Sicilian and French. Buy I doubt that very many do this. If 3. d4 d5 4. exd5 exd5 this is just a good version of the 4...£xd5 French Tarrasch. Nothing for White here, and I won against 2250 and 2300 here, first time within 25 moves (this time I was not the one to lose as White so fast!) but still your 2...Nf6 repertoite is solid and good for those who do not play both Sicilian and French.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #304 - 01/13/15 at 18:46:55
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 01/13/15 at 12:21:16:
Look at the strap on your left wrist Tony, as a committed 2...Nc6ite.
WWID
What would Ikonnikov do?
What do the leading lights do in such circumstances?

It's funny how many times I actually asked myself that during the writing of the book. It would not be a stretch for me to have written in the intro that this is a repertoire inspired by the games of V. Ikonnikov. Not only is he probably one of the greatest 7...Be7!? experts on the planet, but he's also used the Anti-Kalashnikov, Alapin, Grand Prix Attack, and Closed Sicilian recommendations. And if you're thinking that's basically the whole book - it pretty much is!

Wink

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #303 - 01/13/15 at 12:21:16
Post Tools
Look at the strap on your left wrist Tony, as a committed 2...Nc6ite.
WWID
What would Ikonnikov do?
What do the leading lights do in such circumstances?

The immediate ...e5 line as covered latterly in Dangerous Weapons is a good tool at club level (say, below 2000). Played it for many years.
1. e4 c5 2. c3 d5 3. ed Qd5 4. d4 e5.
Club level players always end up having to give the pawn back and have the king stranded. Quick wins for black.

Agree, the Bf5 lines are useful for livening things up.

Unlike 2..d6 players we have to have lines also managing to meet 2.Nf3, 3. c3 too of course.

Oh, and my strap has WWJD of course. What would Jack (Bauer) do?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #302 - 01/13/15 at 01:41:24
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 01/12/15 at 21:57:45:
I got my copy at the weekend - looks fantastic, well done Tony!

Great, thanks for the support! I hope that as you delve deeper you enjoy it even more.

I immediately turned to the chapter on the Alapin. I've used it as my main weapon against the Sicilian for over 10 years so it's the only chapter I can really use to gauge the quality of the book.

It's interesting to hear how people approach checking it out - one more in the "immediately jumped into the Anti-Sicilian sections" category.

I'm a fan of the lines where White delays d2-d4 and I think that your recommendations there are objectively the best Black has (certainly after committing to 6...d5) and covered with a very good level of detail.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd like to play them all as Black though, at least against weaker opponents. I won't go into too many specifics as I'm aware this is the open Sicilian board but for example, White can force a dead draw following Tiviakov - Carlsen, Wijk aan Zee 2007, or choose to deviate with compensation for a pawn. I'd much prefer to be on the White side of that decision. A practical complaint only and can be countered with the 'Black shouldn't complain about equality' argument.

Yes, I agree with you here. This is actually the chapter that bugged me most when working on the book, and for this exact reason.

A small, somewhat relevant aside - see, originally I simply wanted to write a kick-ass book about the Kalashnikov, but Everyman was rightfully hesitant. Their first book by Pinski and Aagaard did just okay, at a time when the Kalashnikov was arguably more popular, probably because it's not an opening that's particularly fashionable with the rating group that Everyman targets. And so when we were negotiating the scope of the book, they proposed that I cover the Anti-Sicilians, just at slightly less depth, using lines that were easy to pick up and learn. This was totally okay with me, and I was excited about the prospect of doing a repertoire book. I had interesting ideas in some places, and I too thought that in this day and age it made more sense to publish it as a repertoire.

So with their rating range in mind, I started to cook up recommendations that I thought were going to be relatively simple to play and learn (where I could - if you play the Sicilian complicated and dangerous positions are difficult to avoid in most lines). This early ...d6 line of the 2...Nf6 Alapin was one of those simple, reliable lines - and it was one that Sveshnikov himself thought highly of in his giant yellow tome as well. But as I started working on the book, it became clear to everyone involved that I was going to cover the Anti-Sicilians with as much detail as the main lines, and some of the recommendations changed, in my opinion for the better. But this Alapin recommendation stayed the same. It's a solid, reliable line, but exactly as you say, there's the practical problem that in some cases, the positions are too equal, or Black has to grab some material and turtle up for a while. The thing that snuck up on me was that the main lines of this system are easy to learn and pick up, but there are some snazzy sidelines that are a bit sharper - I tried to point those out and make sure there was enough depth and care there to ensure the reader knew what they were doing.

But again, just as you said - having a very clear cut way to achieve equality as Black shouldn't scoffed at either. I have been testing out the line 2.c3 d5 3.exd5 Qxd5 4.d4 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bf5!? in a ton of coffee shop battles, and while it's definitely easier to drum up winning chances there, I also get rolled up every now and again when my sparring partner comes in with some fresh ideas. I think I briefly mentioned the issue with writing about the Anti-Sicilians in the Introduction. It's a challenge to not cover lines already covered before, achieve equality, achieve winning chances, and appeal to the varying temperaments of the masses, all at the same time. But in this case I think you're right, and definitely appreciate the feedback - I've heard the same complaint from another 2300-ish player from your neck of the woods. I think to remedy this, I may cover my preferred 2...d5 line in an update to the book to offer a second, sharper option. It's less reliable and maybe slightly more dangerous for Black, but if you know what you're doing, the positions are also sharper and higher variance.

Grin

You mention the line 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3 Nf6 4.e5 Nd5 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 c4!? 7.Bc2 Qc7 8.Qe2 g5!? in passing. I personally would have loved to see that analysed but also understand that it's not a good fit for a repertoire book. I guess players who share my concerns above can dig into that treasure trove.

This line is very fun, yes! I have played quite a few longer time control games here, but I wasn't sure I could do it justice in a chapter that I thought was already slightly bloated (White has so many options in the Alapin!). Any short amount of coverage would be too little, and lines like these are very flip-floppy - one correspondence game could blow up the whole variation for Black and render two-three pages of analysis and text completely useless. I did that a couple times in the book - simply mention another option like this, and leave it up to the reader as to whether or not they wanted to put in the time to add it to their repertoire.

I'm not sure that approach serves me that well though - to most it probably looks like laziness. To me, I thought it was worth the 75 characters to point out something that the reader might find more to their taste, or interesting as a backup variation.

I have some experience in the Closed and Bb5 lines, so I'm looking forward to checking those out next. I hope the analysis is at the same high level (which I'm sure it will be).

I look forward to hearing what you have to say - I definitely appreciate the detailed feedback and the back and forth. Appreciate the kind words!

Maybe then I'll be tempted enough to learn the Kalashnikov  Grin

Let's hope so!  Cheesy Grin Wink

Cheers!

« Last Edit: 01/13/15 at 05:28:19 by TonyRo »  

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #301 - 01/12/15 at 21:57:45
Post Tools
I got my copy at the weekend - looks fantastic, well done Tony!

I immediately turned to the chapter on the Alapin. I've used it as my main weapon against the Sicilian for over 10 years so it's the only chapter I can really use to gauge the quality of the book.

I'm a fan of the lines where White delays d2-d4 and I think that your recommendations there are objectively the best Black has (certainly after committing to 6...d5) and covered with a very good level of detail.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd like to play them all as Black though, at least against weaker opponents. I won't go into too many specifics as I'm aware this is the open Sicilian board but for example, White can force a dead draw following Tiviakov - Carlsen, Wijk aan Zee 2007, or choose to deviate with compensation for a pawn. I'd much prefer to be on the White side of that decision. A practical complaint only and can be countered with the 'Black shouldn't complain about equality' argument.

You mention the line 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3 Nf6 4.e5 Nd5 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 c4!? 7.Bc2 Qc7 8.Qe2 g5!? in passing. I personally would have loved to see that analysed but also understand that it's not a good fit for a repertoire book. I guess players who share my concerns above can dig into that treasure trove.

I have some experience in the Closed and Bb5 lines, so I'm looking forward to checking those out next. I hope the analysis is at the same high level (which I'm sure it will be). Maybe then I'll be tempted enough to learn the Kalashnikov  Grin

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #300 - 01/11/15 at 17:46:12
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 01/11/15 at 13:25:45:
May they rott in editorial hel.

This was hilarious. Yes, very disappointing - you work for 4 years on a project, and they screw up the cover art, but what can you do? I'm sure it was an honest mistake, albeit a very tough one to swallow when it's your name.

Thanks for chiming in, looking forward to hear what you think - I know I'll get an honest review outta ya!  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #299 - 01/11/15 at 13:25:45
Post Tools
How crass an error. Hope you kicked up a real stink about that. Just deeply insulting to you Tony. Rude.
Think Everyman need to sort out the editing side of things.
May they rott in editorial hel.
Just got my copy, some proper thoughts later, when time to read and ponder....
But firstly, well done!

IP Logged

FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #298 - 01/10/15 at 20:03:14
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/06/15 at 22:19:31:
I got my review copies! Tell you what, it's a good looking book!

Anyone notice the spelling error on the spine?  Shocked

Yes, a strange error from the publisher!

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #297 - 01/10/15 at 10:37:24
Post Tools
The book arrived. Magnificent work. I don't know which one has been bigger effort, this book or my doctoral thesis!

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo