Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 384735 times)
DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #341 - 02/06/15 at 21:57:17
Post Tools
Actually I like the paper, but I like hellere the paper where it is smooth rather than rough, think of the Quality Chess paper, but the paper is definitely better than the previous paper, that was a bit hard and coarse.

Would you say, Tony, that the line that ends on page 64 is the most critical line of the entire book? This looks like the most forcing line and I like that theoretical equality is besought in this line than trying for a deviation that may offer more chances but would probably be much more dangerous to play against titled opposition. In any case, when I played 1. e4, I never could do anything against the Kalashnikow main lines, disregarding the times where I got plastered by move 15-20 in this line (like in my other thread Smiley).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #340 - 02/06/15 at 20:40:09
Post Tools
fling wrote on 02/06/15 at 13:17:04:
So far I have flipped through the book and looked at a few lines. I really like it, and a good thing is that there are recommendations against both Dismatling the Sicilian, Experts vs the Sicilian and Experts on the Anti-Sicilian (in which Cornette writes about 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Bb5, not the former one Wink ).

Thanks for the nice comments and support, I really appreciate you picking up the book! Yes - the good thing is that that Khalifman, De La Villa, Experts, etc, were written before 7...Be7 became popular, so it wasn't too hard to come up with improvements. Negi and Shaw's books will be tougher, but practically it probably won't matter much - I rarely find people stepping down the main lines or meeting 4...e5 with tons of preparation regardless.

fling wrote on 02/06/15 at 13:17:04:
The only small complaint I have so far is the size. It is bigger than most of my other Everyman books.

Yeah, their new format is interesting. The type is definitely larger and easier to read, but the physical size is definitely imposing. Tougher than hell to carry and store (I still have 5 review copies I'm looking to rid myself of!), but it is nice to read. I like the paper a lot (and with Everyman using some bad papers in the past, e.g. Gambiteer II, I'm lucky), but the physical profile of the book is a bit larger than I'd like. I thought the size used for books like Vigorito's KID series or Palliser's Anti-Sicilians book was optimal.

Thanks again, and do stop in later if you have more comments or compliments!  Grin

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #339 - 02/06/15 at 13:17:04
Post Tools
So far I have flipped through the book and looked at a few lines. I really like it, and a good thing is that there are recommendations against both Dismatling the Sicilian, Experts vs the Sicilian and Experts on the Anti-Sicilian (in which Cornette writes about 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Bb5, not the former one Wink ).

I agree with Cox here AFAIK. The detail is good, yet the explanations make me able to guess what moves Black ought to play in many lines. Also, speaking of the line above, it is good that it is summarized in a few pages for Black, as the book has more than 80 pages covering it!

The only small complaint I have so far is the size. It is bigger than most of my other Everyman books. Because I have a limited physical space for my books, this means less room for other books  Cheesy On the other hand, it makes it quite comfortable to read, when the pages are not totally packed with letters.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #338 - 02/04/15 at 18:11:34
Post Tools
Hi Pessoa,

Let me check it out in some detail and get back to you. Thanks for checking out the book and really looking in depth!

Grin

IP Logged

Pessoa

As coisas não têm significação:
têm existência.

Reply #337 - 02/04/15 at 18:06:40
Post Tools
This nice book has renewed my interest in 3…Nb6 after 3.Bb5. And it contains some useful notes on some lines in this variation given by Kolev and Nedev (K&N) in their book “The Easiest Sicilian.”

However, I wonder why in “The Killer Sicilian” no mention is made of a certain recommendation by Gawain Jones (as given in his book “How to Beat the Sicilian Defence”). I.e., after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.Nc3 g6 5.Bxc6 dxc6 6.h3 Bg7 7.d3 0-0 8.Be3 b6 9.Qd2 e5, Jones endorses 10.a3!? (in the chapter on 3…g6, where the above position occurs via a different move order).

In contrast to Rotella, K&N mention this move and offer 10…a5 11.0-0 a4 12.Rae1 Re8 13.Nh2, and here they improve upon Jones’ line with 13…c4! (if I remember the moves after 10…a5 correctly).

Now I have a question to Tony Rotella (or any other expert on the Rossolimo): Would you, after 10.a3!?, also play 10…a5? And if so, what would you then do after the slightly irritating 11.Na4, which appears to be a standard way for White to prepare b2-b4?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #336 - 01/31/15 at 06:35:56
Post Tools
TN wrote on 01/31/15 at 06:30:21:
Just thought I'd mention that I ordered the book.  Smiley

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. Wink

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #335 - 01/31/15 at 06:30:21
Post Tools
Just thought I'd mention that I ordered the book.  Smiley

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #334 - 01/31/15 at 06:24:24
Post Tools
That's awesome! Besides the horrific spelling error on the spine, the cover art is really awesome. Perfect for such a book!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #333 - 01/31/15 at 03:15:04
Post Tools
Othy wrote on 01/31/15 at 02:55:05:
First review courtesy of my three-year-old when I opened the box:

"Wow! It's so beautiful! A red book. Look, Dad, a pawn! It's really beautiful!"

She then claimed the book as her own. I may need to order another copy for myself.

Grin

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,
doth light of light beguile.

Reply #332 - 01/31/15 at 02:55:05
Post Tools
First review courtesy of my three-year-old when I opened the box:

"Wow! It's so beautiful! A red book. Look, Dad, a pawn! It's really beautiful!"

She then claimed the book as her own. I may need to order another copy for myself.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,

Reply #331 - 01/26/15 at 21:22:55
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:57:38:
You can get it for a few dollars cheaper than that from Chess4Less I'm guessing.

Good call. I just placed an order and should be holding the book in my hands around this time next week!

TonyRo wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:57:38:
The book itself is $27-30 here in the US no matter what, with shipping it will be closer to $40 than not unfortunately.

Quite right. I use Amazon Prime in America, which includes free 2-day shipping on all Amazon-shipped items, so I'm a little spoiled.

Supporting you and getting a great new book is worth the extra $10-15.  Grin

Now I have a week to review the databases and acclimating myself to the positions before the books arrives and I can really get to understanding things. Maybe the line will even find its way into one of my tournament games at the end of February.

And I will of course have feedback for you (and Amazon review authoring pen at the ready) when I've made my way through and formed some solid impressions.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #330 - 01/26/15 at 18:57:38
Post Tools
Othy wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:36:06:
This still isn't available through any American booksellers yet (except those with exorbitant shipment fees attached). Ordering direct from Everyman's warehouses will run me ~$40. I'm tempted to pony up the cash!

You can get it for a few dollars cheaper than that from Chess4Less I'm guessing. The book itself is $27-30 here in the US no matter what, with shipping it will be closer to $40 than not unfortunately...I think @ Chess4Less will ship USPS for aorund $5-6, but that's from memory, not something I looked up.

How long does it typically take Everyman to release ebook formats after initial publishing?

The eBooks probably vary according to how much work there is in converting whatever the author submits in Chessbase to an eBook that's identical to the printed work. I know that my files of analysis I turned in are organized well and mostly complete, but there are definite differences in the writing and analysis. Some of what's in the book is different than what's in the CB file, and vice versa. The commentary is definitely different - I did a lot of revisions there after I had already ported everything over to MS Word. The book is quite large anyway - I would say it might be a few months, possibly more. Really no idea. It really depends on when they get around to it - I don't have any involvement with the eBooks.

I am so looking forward to this book, Tony. I have kept up with your hard work on the forums here. I would buy the book just out of appreciation of your accomplishment.

Thanks a ton - the support and kind words definitely make the 4 years it took me to write this paperweight worth it!

But it so happens I have been looking for a complementary variation for my Acc. Dragon as well. Wink

The Kalashnikov is a good compliment - might get you out of studying 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 too, as you could always just play 3...g6.

Othy wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:38:14:
And in line with the current discussion topic, as a player who alternates between fianchetto setups with ...e6 or ...e5, I'm also looking forward to your take on the latter.

If you end up tracking down a copy of TKS, let me know what you think!  Grin

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,

Reply #329 - 01/26/15 at 18:38:14
Post Tools
And in line with the current discussion topic, as a player who alternates between fianchetto setups with ...e6 or ...e5, I'm also looking forward to your take on the latter.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,

Reply #328 - 01/26/15 at 18:36:06
Post Tools
This still isn't available through any American booksellers yet (except those with exorbitant shipment fees attached). Ordering direct from Everyman's warehouses will run me ~$40. I'm tempted to pony up the cash!

How long does it typically take Everyman to release ebook formats after initial publishing?

I am so looking forward to this book, Tony. I have kept up with your hard work on the forums here. I would buy the book just out of appreciation of your accomplishment. But it so happens I have been looking for a complementary variation for my Acc. Dragon as well. Wink

Congrats!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #327 - 01/26/15 at 18:32:58
Post Tools
It does go back quite a ways, but I do think I put a fresh spin on it.  Grin

I also don't fault the reviewer, as the 6...e5 Fianchetto line hasn't been popular for a very long time...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo