Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 383586 times)
Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #356 - 02/13/15 at 21:41:48
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 14:21:52:
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/10/15 at 14:05:49:
Actually it's even better. Will be skiing during the day and working through the book in the evening Wink

As I sit here and type this at work, that sounds amazing.  Cry

A question I have out of pure curiosity: Do you get any information from your publisher how many books have been printed/sold? I have no idea what number would make a chess book "well selling" ...

I have been asked this a lot, but unfortunately I don't know - they certainly don't go out of their way to tell me that, but I haven't asked either. I always joke that I don't want to find out how underpaid I was, but it would actually be interesting to find out about how many copies sell for the reason you mentioned. I don't have a great handle on it either.

Too bad you don't get any information on this. The book arrived yesterday btw...:
I really like the recommendations on the Rossolimo, which is the chapter I mostly bought the book for from black's perspective. Still struggling to chose between 2...e6 and 2...Nc6  (made a thread about that) and what I've seen so far is encouraging 2...Nc6. Unfortunately the other anti-sicilian lines on the 2nd move are not my prefered choices. But this obviously not at all the books fault - and I might well change my mind. If I hadn't already too many choices against 1. e4 I would seriously consider the whole repertoire.

Congrats on the great achievement of writing this book. Looks great so far... I'm looking forward to have a closer look at your work and already fear having to prepare against it Wink. Is it possible that Dismantling the Sicilian doesn't even mention your move 7...Be7?  Shocked (probably has been discussed before)

IP Logged

Pessoa

As coisas não têm significação:
têm existência.

Reply #355 - 02/12/15 at 12:21:32
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 01:23:55:
My brief thoughts on the a3 plans in this Rossolimo line are attached!  Grin

Well, thank you very much indeed!
Instructive and helpful!
This move ...Rd5!! (Know what I mean.) Wow!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #354 - 02/11/15 at 18:25:40
Post Tools
Another shout-out for The Killer Sicilian and some interesting Kalashnikov action by Christof Sielecki here! Enjoy it, his channel is one of my favorites!

Grin

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #353 - 02/11/15 at 15:36:03
Post Tools
Thank you sir!  Grin

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #352 - 02/11/15 at 08:29:25
Post Tools
I already had it said in my post in the poll, but your book is on the Kalashnikow Sicilian, which 2300+ has a (right or fel) not as high a rock-solid reputation like 1...e5 with regular Open Games like Bologan's, absolute main lines of 1. e4 against the French and Caro-Kann like Negi's, the Classical Slaw with 4...dxc4 like Awrukh's, so it needs to show that this opening is on the same level of soundness, and I think that as your book is basically on the same level as those, the above goal was also accomplished.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #351 - 02/11/15 at 07:11:24
Post Tools
My one bit of "campaigning" - if you find that you really enjoyed the book (more than the other options), the poll is open for ChessPub Book of the Year, so go vote for The Killer Sicilian. After four years of laboring, it would be nice to win, but Bologan and Negi did amazing work too.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #350 - 02/10/15 at 14:21:52
Post Tools
Actually it's even better. Will be skiing during the day and working through the book in the evening Wink

As I sit here and type this at work, that sounds amazing.  Cry

A question I have out of pure curiosity: Do you get any information from your publisher how many books have been printed/sold? I have no idea what number would make a chess book "well selling" ...

I have been asked this a lot, but unfortunately I don't know - they certainly don't go out of their way to tell me that, but I haven't asked either. I always joke that I don't want to find out how underpaid I was, but it would actually be interesting to find out about how many copies sell for the reason you mentioned. I don't have a great handle on it either.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #349 - 02/10/15 at 14:05:49
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 01:24:41:
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/09/15 at 21:49:09:
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book.

Great, thanks for hopping on! Hope you like it!  Wink

Thrilled to browse through it in my vacation next week  Cheesy

That's a great way to spend a vacation! Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #348 - 02/10/15 at 01:24:41
Post Tools
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book.

Great, thanks for hopping on! Hope you like it!  Wink

That's a great way to spend a vacation! Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #347 - 02/10/15 at 01:23:55
Post Tools
My brief thoughts on the a3 plans in this Rossolimo line are attached!  Grin

ChessPub_Rossolimo.pgn ( 3 KB | 392 Downloads )

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #346 - 02/09/15 at 21:49:09
Post Tools
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book. Not really planning on picking up the Kalashnikov but really interested in the anti-sicilian section and also want to stay updated for my white repertoire even though I never ever encountered the Kalashnikov in a rated game.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #345 - 02/09/15 at 21:34:14
Post Tools
I just looked at the beginning of the last game, with no sound. However, I do like that line with just short castling instead of defending the pawn on d6 with ...Be7 (as in the game).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #344 - 02/09/15 at 20:24:49
Post Tools
A few Kalashnikovs today on Christoph Sielecki's YT Channel:

ChessExplained @ YouTube

Will take a look at the Rossolimo line tonight - been busy catching up on a few ICCF games I've been lagging behind on...

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #343 - 02/09/15 at 11:56:17
Post Tools
Pessoa wrote on 02/04/15 at 18:06:40:
This nice book has renewed my interest in 3…Nb6 after 3.Bb5. And it contains some useful notes on some lines in this variation given by Kolev and Nedev (K&N) in their book “The Easiest Sicilian.”

However, I wonder why in “The Killer Sicilian” no mention is made of a certain recommendation by Gawain Jones (as given in his book “How to Beat the Sicilian Defence”). I.e., after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.Nc3 g6 5.Bxc6 dxc6 6.h3 Bg7 7.d3 0-0 8.Be3 b6 9.Qd2 e5, Jones endorses 10.a3!? (in the chapter on 3…g6, where the above position occurs via a different move order).

In contrast to Rotella, K&N mention this move and offer 10…a5 11.0-0 a4 12.Rae1 Re8 13.Nh2, and here they improve upon Jones’ line with 13…c4! (if I remember the moves after 10…a5 correctly).

Now I have a question to Tony Rotella (or any other expert on the Rossolimo): Would you, after 10.a3!?, also play 10…a5? And if so, what would you then do after the slightly irritating 11.Na4, which appears to be a standard way for White to prepare b2-b4?

The final position in Jones' analysis is completely equal, and Black can improve at a previous stage, as you have already hinted.
I found an interesting new idea for white (the antipositional 12.Nxe5!?) which did not give me any real advantage. With a little help from my opponent I won a pawn way after the opening phase, but this was not enough. Oh, and I wouldn't expect a move like 11.Na4 becoming trendy, or anything close to that...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #342 - 02/07/15 at 03:22:24
Post Tools
Yes - I think that 10.g3 with the relatively unknown 16.c3!? or the last line of Chapter 3 are White's best bets. As Black against the former, you can try either Isikgeit's solid 21...Qe7 or my more active 21...Qc7!? - White has some slight pressure but must play very precisely to get anything, and Black's play is thematic nonetheless.

I have an ongoing ICCF game where my opponent tried the slightly shocking 21.h4!?, which doesn't look bad. White reasons (as I said in the book) that any move like Rd1, Qc2, cxb4, etc, has noticeable drawbacks and opens up options for Black, and so he focuses on Black's kingside dark squares and king for a second, leaving everything else intact.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo