Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 282251 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #362 - 02/16/15 at 02:18:02
Post Tools
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/15/15 at 20:01:02:
Obviously all this is personal preference but what stands out to me is the digestability (is that a word) of the book. I feel like I really _understood_ quite a bit about the Rossolimo by browsing through your recommendation.
A really outstanding job. I am pretty sure, that I will rework my anti-sicilians based on your recommendations.

Thanks so much! I was seriously worried about what people would think about Anti-Sicilian chapters that are ~30 pages long. But the Rossolimo is as or more important as the main lines of the Kalashnikov, and it's important that every 2...Nc6 player has a trusted weapon.

I still take the Morra pawn as well using mostly Palliser/Gallagher's ...d6/...a6 recommendation, but I thought to simply regurgitate that line with a few updates, probably in 10-15 pages, would be too much in an already very large book.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #361 - 02/15/15 at 20:18:23
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 02/15/15 at 20:12:15:
it is veldig tedious

Sorry for being completely offtopic:

As someone who has a serious crush on nordic languages I totally love reading your posts.  Smiley

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #360 - 02/15/15 at 20:12:15
Post Tools
Actually I am pleasantly surprised that the Kalashnikow is actually not "heavy" theoretically compared to my other repertoires. The Najdorf that I play obviously there really are not that many 1. e4 openings that reach the theoretical amount that Najdorf has. Caro-Kann with ...0-0 and the French with Winawer also seem more than the Kalashnikow (anti-Sicilians included). I feel that Kalashnikow is around the same amount of theory as my Pirc repertoire.

Just today I was doing my own analysis (for Black!) on my favourite 6. Bg5 Nbd7 against Negi's recommendations in his new book. I had to do analyses literally until move 50 to see if some of the endgames that I got I would play them over the board, because I deviated from his analysis around moves 25-30. Veldig often I had to leave Stockfisk running on a move for over a few hours just to make sure, which makes my own analyses for 6. Bg5 Nbd7 Najdorf a bit long--my ChessBase file on this line is dated from November 2014 and I usually work on this line every couple days.

Although it is kind of fun in some ways, it is veldig tedious, and from what I see, the Kalashnikow usually does not have such long, forcing and irrational lines.

As I write this, Stockfisk is running on move 41 from when I deviate on move 30 from one of the sidenotes to 20. d6 in the 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Qe2 h6 8. Bh4 g6 chapter from Negi's new book. Perpetual, drawn rook endgame? Who knows, but I am close review all of the main line variations in Tony's book. It might take me less time Smiley

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #359 - 02/15/15 at 20:01:02
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/14/15 at 03:55:07:
I really like 3...Nf6 against the Rossolimo. It's not easy at all for White to prove a theoretical edge, and the positions are really interesting. There's the usual bonus too that White inevitably knows less about it than 3...g6, 3...d6, or 3...e6.

At least take a look at the other choices. I really like the line I play against the GPA, both Bc4 and Bb5. Worth a shot!

Wink

Thank you so much for the support and compliments. Let me know what you think once you've delved a bit deeper.

I think De La Villa does very briefly mention it, but just like Experts, might only cover the early ...h5 lines (I can't remember for sure though - I do recall that his coverage was either absent or brief to the point that it didn't really even get mentioned in The Killer Sicilian). His lack of coverage is no knock on DTS, as 7...Be7 really was in it's infancy at that point.

My first comment was a little bit too early. At the moment I am still browsing through the book without any hard theoretical word but I have gone over all lines which are relevant for me now. I had looked at the Alapin and Smith-Morra recommendations. I always preferred 2...d5 in the Alapin when I was playing the sicilian and accepted the Smith-Morra Gambit because I think black is fine (as in equal) and the extra pawn is some material which might lead to a win if white isn't keeping his initiative.
However, I had not really looked at the Grand Prix recommendation and the ones in the closed sicilian. I really like the lines you recommend there. I haven't checked the lines for their theoretical value (and there are other, stronger players to judge that) but I like the kind of positions you go for (interesting, unbalanced, bishop pair etc). I played similiar against the GPA (at least the first moves). I always played 8...Nxf3 in your Bb5-GPA mainline (met this line quite often) but your 8...f5! looks very interesting. I also enjoy your use of the Botvinnik triangle against the closed sicilian.
Obviously all this is personal preference but what stands out to me is the digestability (is that a word) of the book. I feel like I really _understood_ quite a bit about the Rossolimo by browsing through your recommendation.
A really outstanding job. I am pretty sure, that I will rework my anti-sicilians based on your recommendations.

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #358 - 02/15/15 at 16:16:32
Post Tools
Hi Tony (and others)

Which openings against 1. d4 go along with the Kalashnikov in a repertoire. Im thinking in terms of move order, tactical- and positional  patterns etc.

My current repertoire with Black is french / Queens gambit declined. Both solid and require a minimum of maintenance but I would like to explore new types of positions and are looking for a completly new approach.

regards,

Larsen_fan

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #357 - 02/14/15 at 03:55:07
Post Tools
I really like 3...Nf6 against the Rossolimo. It's not easy at all for White to prove a theoretical edge, and the positions are really interesting. There's the usual bonus too that White inevitably knows less about it than 3...g6, 3...d6, or 3...e6.

At least take a look at the other choices. I really like the line I play against the GPA, both Bc4 and Bb5. Worth a shot!

Wink

Thank you so much for the support and compliments. Let me know what you think once you've delved a bit deeper.

I think De La Villa does very briefly mention it, but just like Experts, might only cover the early ...h5 lines (I can't remember for sure though - I do recall that his coverage was either absent or brief to the point that it didn't really even get mentioned in The Killer Sicilian). His lack of coverage is no knock on DTS, as 7...Be7 really was in it's infancy at that point.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #356 - 02/13/15 at 21:41:48
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 14:21:52:
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/10/15 at 14:05:49:
Actually it's even better. Will be skiing during the day and working through the book in the evening Wink

As I sit here and type this at work, that sounds amazing.  Cry

A question I have out of pure curiosity: Do you get any information from your publisher how many books have been printed/sold? I have no idea what number would make a chess book "well selling" ...

I have been asked this a lot, but unfortunately I don't know - they certainly don't go out of their way to tell me that, but I haven't asked either. I always joke that I don't want to find out how underpaid I was, but it would actually be interesting to find out about how many copies sell for the reason you mentioned. I don't have a great handle on it either.

Too bad you don't get any information on this. The book arrived yesterday btw...:
I really like the recommendations on the Rossolimo, which is the chapter I mostly bought the book for from black's perspective. Still struggling to chose between 2...e6 and 2...Nc6  (made a thread about that) and what I've seen so far is encouraging 2...Nc6. Unfortunately the other anti-sicilian lines on the 2nd move are not my prefered choices. But this obviously not at all the books fault - and I might well change my mind. If I hadn't already too many choices against 1. e4 I would seriously consider the whole repertoire.

Congrats on the great achievement of writing this book. Looks great so far... I'm looking forward to have a closer look at your work and already fear having to prepare against it Wink. Is it possible that Dismantling the Sicilian doesn't even mention your move 7...Be7?  Shocked (probably has been discussed before)

IP Logged

Pessoa

As coisas não têm significação:
têm existência.

Reply #355 - 02/12/15 at 12:21:32
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 01:23:55:
My brief thoughts on the a3 plans in this Rossolimo line are attached!  Grin

Well, thank you very much indeed!
Instructive and helpful!
This move ...Rd5!! (Know what I mean.) Wow!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #354 - 02/11/15 at 18:25:40
Post Tools
Another shout-out for The Killer Sicilian and some interesting Kalashnikov action by Christof Sielecki here! Enjoy it, his channel is one of my favorites!

Grin

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #353 - 02/11/15 at 15:36:03
Post Tools
Thank you sir!  Grin

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #352 - 02/11/15 at 08:29:25
Post Tools
I already had it said in my post in the poll, but your book is on the Kalashnikow Sicilian, which 2300+ has a (right or fel) not as high a rock-solid reputation like 1...e5 with regular Open Games like Bologan's, absolute main lines of 1. e4 against the French and Caro-Kann like Negi's, the Classical Slaw with 4...dxc4 like Awrukh's, so it needs to show that this opening is on the same level of soundness, and I think that as your book is basically on the same level as those, the above goal was also accomplished.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #351 - 02/11/15 at 07:11:24
Post Tools
My one bit of "campaigning" - if you find that you really enjoyed the book (more than the other options), the poll is open for ChessPub Book of the Year, so go vote for The Killer Sicilian. After four years of laboring, it would be nice to win, but Bologan and Negi did amazing work too.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #350 - 02/10/15 at 14:21:52
Post Tools
Actually it's even better. Will be skiing during the day and working through the book in the evening Wink

As I sit here and type this at work, that sounds amazing.  Cry

A question I have out of pure curiosity: Do you get any information from your publisher how many books have been printed/sold? I have no idea what number would make a chess book "well selling" ...

I have been asked this a lot, but unfortunately I don't know - they certainly don't go out of their way to tell me that, but I haven't asked either. I always joke that I don't want to find out how underpaid I was, but it would actually be interesting to find out about how many copies sell for the reason you mentioned. I don't have a great handle on it either.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #349 - 02/10/15 at 14:05:49
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 01:24:41:
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/09/15 at 21:49:09:
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book.

Great, thanks for hopping on! Hope you like it!  Wink

Thrilled to browse through it in my vacation next week  Cheesy

That's a great way to spend a vacation! Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #348 - 02/10/15 at 01:24:41
Post Tools
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book.

Great, thanks for hopping on! Hope you like it!  Wink

Thrilled to browse through it in my vacation next week  Cheesy

That's a great way to spend a vacation! Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo