Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella (Read 256568 times)
rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Re: The Killer Sicilian by Tony Rotella
Reply #446 - 08/25/18 at 06:42:52
Post Tools
Dear Tony,

Like many other chess fans I'm also very proud that you, our fellow amateur player, wrote such a good book on Kalashnikov.

I wish that you write 2nd edition for Quality Chess publishing house, and if you could, get Nikolaos Ntrilis as a contributing author. I9m assured that together you will write a timeless masterpiece.

Regarding content, you should add about 100 exercises minimum, plus many rules of thumb, conclusions, suggestions etc. Especially be alert on various Anti-Sicilians etc.

Best of luck  Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #445 - 08/23/18 at 08:21:06
Post Tools
I suspect it would be easier in terms of copyright to go with Chessable. Certainly, looking at other authors and other stuff there, other folk have not been bothered by copyright at all across the platforms.
I'll be buying if you do plonk the K there!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #444 - 08/22/18 at 12:11:45
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 08/22/18 at 09:40:11:
Does that mean the other publisher is no longer considering it?

It's a contractual issue. As you might expect it's hard to publish second editions with someone else.

RoleyPoley wrote on 08/22/18 at 09:40:11:
Chessable sounds a good option that is growing in popularity. Would you consider doing other opening repertoires too?

I have quite a few ideas, who knows if they'll ever come to fruition. Working on my White repertoire pretty hard right now, that would likely be my first "release" if I ever go that route.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #443 - 08/22/18 at 09:40:11
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 08/06/18 at 19:19:00:
Thanks MNb, I'll take a look! I also had a game after the book was published that cast doubt on this approach to 10.g3 for Black. I have a few new ideas in this line that deviate quite a bit earlier - I have been meaning to share them on my YouTube channel for a while now, but also somewhat holding out due to the fact that a 2nd edition was briefly discussed with another publisher, and a possible Chessable repertoire is bouncing around in my dome.

Cheesy

Does that mean the other publisher is no longer considering it? Chessable sounds a good option that is growing in popularity. Would you consider doing other opening repertoires too?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #442 - 08/06/18 at 19:19:00
Post Tools
Thanks MNb, I'll take a look! I also had a game after the book was published that cast doubt on this approach to 10.g3 for Black. I have a few new ideas in this line that deviate quite a bit earlier - I have been meaning to share them on my YouTube channel for a while now, but also somewhat holding out due to the fact that a 2nd edition was briefly discussed with another publisher, and a possible Chessable repertoire is bouncing around in my dome.

Cheesy

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #441 - 08/03/18 at 17:08:47
Post Tools
Lahdenmäki,L - MNb
ws H/673 ICCF, 2018

0–1

With 16.c3 my opponent chose the critical continuation. When I meet the Kalashnikov as White I'll probably play it myself. TonyR's recommendation 16...a5 did not satisfy me, because way too often Black ended up in a simplified position with a queenside majority - pawn a2 and b2 vs. pawn b4, with pawn d6 remaining backward for a very long time.
So I decided it was better to saddle White with an isolated c-pawn by 16...bxc3. That was not the end of the problems. The first one was 20.Rfb1, when I had to demonstrate it's nothing but a transposition to Cipressa-Rotella, corr. 2010. The second one was the clever novelty 27.Qa3. After several days of examining it I think I can add something to TonyR's explanation on page 58.
27.Qa3 is probably an improvement. As long as the third row remains cleared Her Majesty always can quickly turn to the kingside, so the plan f2-f4-f5 and g3-g4 is just as strong. Moreover Black feels the pressure on the a-pawn, but less clear but at least as annoying also indirect pressure on pawn d6. The line 27...Nd4 28.Kh1 f6 29.f4 a5 30.f5 Ba6 31.g4 Rd7 32.Qa4 Bc8 33.Rxd6 makes this clear. In some other lines the sac Nxf6+ immediately decides the game, as mentioned by TonyR.
So I think the plan ...a5 and ...Ba6 is not the most urgent. To avoid disaster Black must force the trade of his bishop against White's dominant knight on d5; that's first priority. As I could not find a way to do this after 27...Nd4 I decided that this obvious candidate was inferior. Of course 27...Ra5 28.Qe3 seems to win a tempo, but that's unclear after Nd4 29.f4 f6 30.R1b2 Be6.
Apparently my opponent just assumed I had played 27...Nd4 indeed. Well, a win is a win, no matter how cheap, but it's in a way a pity that I must remain inconclusive on the question if 16...bxc3 is really better than 16...a5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #440 - 01/25/17 at 08:43:21
Post Tools
I very vaguely recall that van der Wiel interview, I think it was in the Dutch chess periodical Schaaknieuws, and it was because the opening was from Russia and dangerous. And of course the -shnikov ending that makes it resemble Sveshnikov probably played a role, but I don't remember if he mentioned that.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #439 - 01/25/17 at 01:26:23
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/10/14 at 00:31:13:
It's a bit of a pity that you don't mention GM John van der Wiel in your introduction. He invented the name The Kalashnikov in the second half ofthe 80's. There are some obscure Dutch sources to prove this.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/dossier-archief/schaken-handige-knoeier-laat-fritz-spel...

"een heel andere variant die van John van der Wiel de naam 'Kalasjnikov' heeft meegekregen."
An entire differnt variation which received frm John van de Wiel the name "Kalasjnikov".

All the way back from 2014.  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #438 - 01/24/17 at 23:57:40
Post Tools
Named after Bob Kalashnikov. So I understand. Anglo-Russian chess and firearms enthusiast. Died a tragic early death after losing against the Rossolimo. Shot himself.
'Those who live by the gun, so shall they die by it.'
RIP

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #437 - 01/24/17 at 15:36:29
Post Tools
Anyone know where the Kalashnikov gets its name?  I can't seem to find anything about a chess player named Kalashnikov.

Is it named after the gun (because it's aggressive!)?

I am using 'Killer Sicilian' as my repertoire vs 1. e4 and it's been absolutely transformational for my play.  -- In the past I have eschewed active play as black and this is really helping me at the club level.

IP Logged

rossia

Reply #436 - 01/07/17 at 12:29:33
Post Tools
Hi Tony!

How are you doing? And how is sales of Killer Sicilian going?

Did you consider to make 2nd edition with Nikolaos Ntrilis from Quality Chess on book called like Playing The Kalashnikov?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #435 - 08/13/16 at 19:38:40
Post Tools
*Thumbs up*  Grin Wink

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #434 - 08/13/16 at 17:00:43
Post Tools
I never had such an easy draw against a higher rated opponent (90 ELO points) before.

De Heer,H - MNb [B32]
NED/AOW/12 em ICCF, 15.02.2016

½–½

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #433 - 05/23/16 at 08:34:19
Post Tools
Small advantages like that from computers quite often mean utterly nothing Smiley Its when they start building/switching evaluation etc that you really need to pay attention.

IP Logged

Flashman
YaBB Newbies

I want to know only the
true!

Reply #432 - 05/23/16 at 08:23:47
Post Tools
You are right! I analysed only e4 or Ne7.
but Nd4! really looks like an opposite bishop's ending with a complete equality (even though Komodo gave 0.4 advantage for white  Undecided don't know why)

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #431 - 05/20/16 at 08:24:49
Post Tools
Hi.

MartinC wrote on 05/19/16 at 11:48:42:
Maybe I'm missing something but I'd have thought you could just camp the knight on d4 and be happy?

Exactly. Black has no problems after this.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #430 - 05/19/16 at 11:48:42
Post Tools
Maybe I'm missing something but I'd have thought you could just camp the knight on d4 and be happy?

IP Logged

Flashman
YaBB Newbies

I want to know only the
true!

Reply #429 - 05/19/16 at 08:45:53
Post Tools
15...h6!? is very interesting response to 15.a4!
My problem is that in this position:

After black plays best (I thing)-I can't found equality Undecided

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #428 - 04/10/16 at 05:23:31
Post Tools
PatzerNoster wrote on 04/05/16 at 20:58:39:
Nice to see you are still looking for ideas and upholding the Killer Sicilan against toughest opposition!  Smiley

I do what I can. I just took a deeper look tonight to confirm, and yeah, I still don't see much of anything real for White. The positions are messy of course - it's an a-pawn vs. the center, but most Kalashnikov players should be comfortable throwing their queenside away for mobile central pawns!  Cheesy

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #427 - 04/05/16 at 20:58:39
Post Tools
@Tony: 15. ... h6 is an interesting idea, it seems that Black's big pawn centre compensates for the passed a-pawn. I analysed a bit but couldn't find something convincing, maybe there is a way to a very slight edge for White, but in practice the pawn centre should be worth a lot.

Nice to see you are still looking for ideas and upholding the Killer Sicilan against toughest opposition!  Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #426 - 04/04/16 at 15:15:13
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 04/04/16 at 10:11:19:
It crosses over with Tony's book in the 3...Nf6 variation, where Robin offers an interesting idea: 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.d3 Bg4 6.h3 Bh5 7.b3!?

Yes, I saw that he recommended that - I'll have to check it out! Quite an insightful idea!

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #425 - 04/04/16 at 10:11:19
Post Tools
I saw a new video series on Chess24 by Robin Van Kampen on the Rossolimo variation (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5).

It crosses over with Tony's book in the 3...Nf6 variation, where Robin offers an interesting idea: 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.d3 Bg4 6.h3 Bh5 7.b3!?. At first look I quite like it. White aims to prevent Black's natural set-up of ...Nf6-d7 and ...e7-e5.

Worth checking out if you play the 3...Nf6 recommendation.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #424 - 03/17/16 at 14:50:54
Post Tools
At first, it seems to me like White should have an edge in this line, but there is nothing really concrete from what I can tell. The a-pawn isn't that scary. Stockfish 7 seems to like 20. Bc4 in favor of 20. a5, and that adds to the impression that Black's forces are a bit uncoordinated. However, the pawn center and the knight, together with the pressure down the c-file apparently secure Black enough play.

15...h6 is interesting, a nice waiting move and prepares ...Bg5 in some cases. What about 20. b3!? EDIT: seems to me Black is ok after e.g. 20...d4 21. Bd2 e4 22. Ra2 Na5.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #423 - 03/17/16 at 02:46:06
Post Tools
I looked at it with a friend tonight, who ran into this line in a Closed Championship a week or so ago. It is a bit hairy for Black and it does look like Negi's analysis holds up, except that he doesn't cover 15...h6, which does indeed look like a solution for Black no?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #422 - 03/14/16 at 22:04:12
Post Tools
Any news, did you look at it? I noticed that the line has been played in a blitz game, by Negi himself, who deviated directly from his own recommendation.

It looks like White may have a small edge, but on the other hand, Black has many plausible alternatives to keep the game going.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #421 - 01/12/16 at 18:47:21
Post Tools
No, but I need to. Perhaps I'll do that tonight, and perhaps we can discuss it here for anyone who's interested.  Grin

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #420 - 01/09/16 at 10:34:35
Post Tools
@Tony: did you already make a comparison with Negi's recommendation from his Sicilian II book?

I would be interested to hear your opinion.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #419 - 01/08/16 at 18:07:48
Post Tools
Really glad to hear it, thanks for reaching out!  Cheesy

And do let me know when you've mastered the Kalashnikov, I'm still trying!

IP Logged

rossia

Reply #418 - 01/08/16 at 14:21:13
Post Tools
Hi Tony,

I went trough your book very fast, and I have only last chapter to do.

Overall I'm very very impressed by your effort and hopefully I will master Kalashnikov in the near future.

Keep up good work and we all do hope that you will make also 2nd edition in the future  Cool

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #417 - 12/06/15 at 07:01:01
Post Tools
Yahoo! At least one person on this planet is looking at my book right now, unless they've checked it out to use it as a coaster/paperweight.

Cheesy

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #416 - 12/06/15 at 05:12:13
Post Tools
Yup, that's what I was alluding to. 

The other libraries I referred to include two mentioned at your link:  the Royal Library at the Hague, and the State Library of Victoria.
One of the two copies in Auckland is currently checked out   Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #415 - 12/06/15 at 05:07:00
Post Tools
That's awesome, I didn't know that. And if you think Cleveland has it because I live there, you might be excited to know that we have the (likely) largest collection chess literature in the world - the John G. White collection. At the very least it's the biggest public collection:

http://www.chessarch.com/archive/0006_savage/lecture.shtml

I believe it's set up with a trust/endowment that's self-sufficient, so they likely bought it when it was released!

Grin

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #414 - 12/06/15 at 04:06:51
Post Tools
I notice that the book is owned by libraries in Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands (x2), and, of course, Cleveland ...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #413 - 12/05/15 at 20:38:15
Post Tools
Thanks for reaching out with kind words and for picking up the book - I greatly appreciate both!  Grin

Would love to write a book with Nikos for Quality Chess, that would be extremely fun! Hopefully instead of a second edition, I'll just publish a PGN update for free sometime soon. Hard to find the time to work on it, but it's on my to-do list.

Best of luck to you as well.

IP Logged

rossia

Reply #412 - 12/05/15 at 11:33:19
Post Tools
Dear Tony,

More than 5 years ago I stopped to play Sicilian Najdorf, because of no ordinary reason...

I switched to 1...e5 and French, but browsing trough ChessPub and chess retailers pages I came across your book.

After carefully reading all reviews, and trying out few blitz games without a sting of theory, I decided to buy your book. I received my chessbase format copy, and the paper copy is on the way.

Herewith I want to thank you for your effort. You proved with your hard work that even amateurs can write first class books.

If you ever gonna make second edition of your Killer Sicilian, then please write it with Nikolas Ntrilis under Quality Chess flag. Such book by THE most ardent chess enthusiasts would be definitely the chess opening book trademark. Not to mention Quality Chess Team stuff and their layout format!

Thanks again and I wish you best of luck in chess and private life  Grin

IP Logged

befuddled
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #411 - 08/31/15 at 13:28:52
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 08/31/15 at 12:59:58:
Hi.

19...Ned4?! 20.c3 and if the knight attempts to reroute to f4 it will be chopped off with gain of pawn for white

Black is a pawn up. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: 08/31/15 at 14:52:46 by befuddled »  

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #410 - 08/31/15 at 12:59:58
Post Tools
Hi.

19...Ned4?! 20.c3 and if the knight attempts to reroute to f4 it will be chopped off with gain of pawn for white, otherwise the knight excursion seems meaningless.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

befuddled
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #409 - 08/30/15 at 12:41:05
Post Tools
Actually 24...f4 probably even better and looks equal to me (optimistic for the black side)
« Last Edit: 08/30/15 at 16:06:10 by befuddled »  

IP Logged

befuddled
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #408 - 08/30/15 at 12:11:34
Post Tools

Black looks equal thanks to the synergy of the strong knight on d4 and the rook.
« Last Edit: 08/30/15 at 16:11:29 by befuddled »  

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #407 - 08/30/15 at 12:05:55
Post Tools
@befuddled: generals considerations should be on second place, concretes  considerations should be on the first place while analysing! In general consideration we can say something for White too: d4 square not for Black after c3, f5 square for a knight, the d5 square available "forever", more active rooks...

IP Logged

befuddled
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #406 - 08/30/15 at 11:46:22
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 08/30/15 at 07:26:17:
Hello.

befuddled wrote on 08/29/15 at 12:31:51:
Just from a glance at the final position the d4 and f4 squares seem to be calling the Black knights eg 17...Ne6 18.Ne2 Ncd4

Those are nice squares for the knights, but they do not enjoy absolute stability on either square and moving around the knight enables white to get his pieces to better squares as well.

They are almost optimal squares, close to the White king and shutting down white play, especially f4. Black has two knights which can target f4, while White has only one, so there is absolute stability at f4 except in the case of an exchange sacrifice.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #405 - 08/30/15 at 07:26:17
Post Tools
Hello.

befuddled wrote on 08/29/15 at 12:31:51:
Just from a glance at the final position the d4 and f4 squares seem to be calling the Black knights eg 17...Ne6 18.Ne2 Ncd4

Those are nice squares for the knights, but they do not enjoy absolute stability on either square and moving around the knight enables white to get his pieces to better squares as well.

TonyRo wrote on 08/29/15 at 19:51:52:
I'll look into this one when I get home - there was a line in the 3.Nc3 chapter that Arkhein pointed out was worse for Black. Might be the same one - I'll have to check!

ArKheiN wrote on 08/29/15 at 22:06:56:
Yes indeed, I sent a private message some month ago to Tony, the final recommanded line is simply bad for Black, I won that position playing White in a correspondance game some years ago.

I see. Spent a bit of time yesterday checking the lines after 17.Kh2, but can't say I was overly happy with the result (see PGN).

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #404 - 08/29/15 at 22:06:56
Post Tools
Yes indeed, I sent a private message some month ago to Tony, the final recommanded line is simply bad for Black, I won that position playing White in a correspondance game some years ago.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #403 - 08/29/15 at 19:51:52
Post Tools
I'll look into this one when I get home - there was a line in the 3.Nc3 chapter that Arkhein pointed out was worse for Black. Might be the same one - I'll have to check!

IP Logged

befuddled
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #402 - 08/29/15 at 12:31:51
Post Tools

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #401 - 08/29/15 at 11:18:19
Post Tools
Hi.

Got the book and found it to be very good.

In one of the Anti Sicilian lines (see mainline of attached PGN) I did not like where black ended up after the book's recommended moves. Basically I'm not sure why black should be OK in that specific line. Any thoughts? Or ideas on alternatives? Some things I included in the PGN to show what I've looked at.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #400 - 08/28/15 at 11:06:33
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 08/28/15 at 04:21:19:
Hope you enjoy the book, and don't hesitate to message me with questions, criticism, or (preferably) praise!

I've got one serious complaint so far, and that's because I've been spending quite a few months this year developing an 1. ...e5 based repertoire, and now I want to play the Sicilian  Wink. Last time I played it, it was the Dragon of my teens.

From my skim reading so far, what strikes me is that you've poured into this book what me as a keen amateur wants to see, fighting chess, verbal explanations, summaries and a repertoire for the Anti-Sicilians.

I'm expecting these will be >50% of what actually gets played against me going c5. The later is what I've been looking at, especially the Rossolimo, which I've played myself.

It was mentioned on this thread that the King's Indian Attack wasn't mentioned in the book. Not a problem for me, as I play the KIA myself. The biggest problem players have when facing the KIA is which of the many equalising systems to chose against it. I would recommend, especially for d4 players, to take advantage of what playing a Nc6 Sicilian offers you, and play the reversed KID with c5/Nc6/d5/e5/pick your white system. Alternatively, Richard Palliser's suggestion in "Beating Unusual Chess Openings" I think would work nicely.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #399 - 08/28/15 at 04:21:19
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 08/27/15 at 13:52:21:
I have been going through this thread, having got the book. Who'd have thought starting from this   Cool

Man, so long ago. One day I'll read through this entire thread again and chuckle. Probably 25% of it is people asking me why I'm taking so long - a totally fair question!

JEH wrote on 08/27/15 at 13:52:21:
Best not to talk about chess with the muggles  Grin

Yeah I can't tell you how many mob jokes I've had to endure, and how much times I've had to explain how you could write 400 pages on a small subset of opening theory, etc. They keep coming, and the answers are never easy!

Hope you enjoy the book, and don't hesitate to message me with questions, criticism, or (preferably) praise!

Wink

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #398 - 08/27/15 at 13:52:21
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 04/19/10 at 19:03:17:

I have been going through this thread, having got the book. Who'd have thought starting from this   Cool

Seeing my parcel arrive from the Book store at work, one of my colleagues asked to see what I was reading at the moment, so I showed him.

"Is it about the Mafia?" he asked.

Best not to talk about chess with the muggles  Grin

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #397 - 05/18/15 at 18:44:58
Post Tools
Easy-Peasy draw from Naka.  Grin Will add it to the list of games to look at for the update, however minor.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #396 - 05/17/15 at 14:51:48
Post Tools
Today's FIDE Grand Prix featured a game relevant to this repertoire with a deviation around move 15. I figured this might be interesting for some of you. Looks like a comfortable draw for black:

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-gp-khman/04-Dominguez_Perez_Leinier-Nakamura...

Greetings
David

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #395 - 04/27/15 at 15:01:55
Post Tools
Harold wrote on 04/26/15 at 00:37:44:
Please hurry with the update!  Wink   

The update will probably be in a few months - I have a few correspondence games that are worth including that I'd like to finish up, and I think that in general, it's a good idea for the book to be out a little long and for a few more reviews/impressions/criticisms to flow in before I decide that mostly everything is out there and that the update will serve it's purpose. I'd wait for the Negi/Shaw books as well, but that could be quite a while. Perhaps there will be a second update after them!

Harold wrote on 04/26/15 at 00:37:44:
...you might want to have a look at the 4 Nf3 Nc6 5 Na3...

I will check it out - somehow I feel like it can't be critical, but if it's new, I'll take a look at it nonetheless.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #394 - 04/26/15 at 12:34:27
Post Tools
This line is also covered by Williams in Attacking Chess: The French.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #393 - 04/26/15 at 02:18:04
Post Tools
If you are really desperate to have book coverage of the Botvinnik System vs the KIA immediately, you can look at Beating Unusual Chess Openings by Palliser (where it can arise from a 1.Nf3 c5 move order) or Anti-Sicilians: A Guide for Black by Rogozenko.

Rogozenko covers this setup from both the 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d3 and 2.Nf3 e6 3.d3 move orders; in the latter case this ...e5 and ...Nge7 setup is perfectly playable even with a lost tempo, as kylemeister says. The recent The Most Flexible Sicilian by Delchev/Semkov also covers the "lost tempo" move order with 2...e6 3.d3 and a later ...e6-e5.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #392 - 04/26/15 at 01:09:40
Post Tools
Black has even been known to adopt the Botvinnik setup against the KIA when it takes his pawn two steps to reach e5 (as in, there are old main book lines like that).

IP Logged

Harold
YaBB Newbies

Have you tried turning
it off and on again?

Reply #391 - 04/26/15 at 00:37:44
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/22/15 at 06:31:01:
I hit some variations on the same structure with the Ng1 on e2, the Nb1 on c3, and with the pawn on f4 in the GPA, 3.Nc3, and 2.Ne2 coverage, but not the true KIA with Nf3 and the delayed development of the queen's knight. With that said, I'll tie up that loose end in an update.

Hi Tony,
Help! I got demolished last week by the KIA!    Cry  Please hurry with the update!  Wink   

TonyRo wrote on 02/22/15 at 06:31:01:
I'll surely suggest a line that I've had success with, and one that is consistent with our approach to a lot of other less testing tries, that being the kingside fianchetto combined with ...e5 and ...Nge7. Black even has the option of playing ...d5 in one go.

However, in my panic OTB, I must confess I didn't remember your recommendation and completly went away from your approach throwing in ..e6 and ..d6 and finally after casteling, ... f5, opening up my position my way too much I think.

On another line, my friend and I were studying your book last night over a couple of quite "sherbies" (Aussie slang for beer), and noted that in your chapter on the Anti-Kalashnikov Alapin (2 c3) line, you might want to have a look at the 4 Nf3 Nc6 5 Na3 ...   line for your next update (?) which is mentioned in the latest Chess Informant 123 "...Kotronias takes a quick look at the rare move 5.Na3.  White intends to challenge the Nd5 by means of the slow manoevre Na3-c4-e3 ... Black's suggested reaction is the prophylactic 5...a6".   Looks interesting.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #390 - 04/07/15 at 18:35:57
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 04/07/15 at 18:02:38:
Thought you would like to know your book has been reviewed on Chess Cafe's Checkpoint column today.

Yes, I signed up for Chess Cafe just to read it - an interesting tactic I must say!  Grin

He was very positive - I was also a fan of these, and posted them on my Facebook account as well:

- "Many chess players will not consider buying a chess book – particularly an opening book – if it is not written by a GM or an IM, but Tony’s book is clearly an exception and I hope he continues his chess writing."

- "When I started reading this book I had never heard of Tony Rotella – apparently his publisher had never heard of him either. Tony’s last name is spelled correctly on the front and back covers of the book, but on the book spine they misspelled it as “Rottella’. The good news is that after reading this book, everyone should know how to spell his name correctly."

- "Tony Rotella has written a well-researched one-volume Black opening repertoire book covering both the Kalashnikov Sicilian and various Anti-Sicilian lines. The Killer Sicilian is packed with many interesting ideas and improvements over existing opening theory."

Cheesy

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #389 - 04/07/15 at 18:02:38
Post Tools
Hi Tony,

Thought you would like to know your book has been reviewed on Chess Cafe's Checkpoint column today.

James Rizzatano gave your book 5 stars out of 6.

"Tony has shown that with diligent research, careful use of chess analytical engines, and good old-fashioned work ethic and determination it is possible for an untitled player to write a great chess book."

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

jon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #388 - 04/06/15 at 03:40:21
Post Tools
    Thank you, Tony. And, I love the fact that you are so available for comments and questions concerning your work!!

Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #387 - 04/06/15 at 02:30:41
Post Tools
Hi Jon - I hope you like it - shoot me a message if you have any questions. Best of luck with the Kalashnikov!

Grin

IP Logged

jon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #386 - 04/04/15 at 09:17:12
Post Tools
I just ordered your book through Amazon.com, to be delivered to me on the big island of Hawaii, near Hilo. I'm just an old dude rated class B USCF. I had played the Scandinavian in tournaments in the mid 1990s with good results. Lately I have been playing that or the French against 1.e4. I had wanted to try the Sicilian, but, did not want a very main line system, and the Kalashnikov looks like a system that I might like to play. I enjoyed the Scandinavian, as it is a pretty forcing line for black. This system in your book, if white allows the Kalashnikov, looks pretty forcing too.

I'll do an Amazon review after I've had time gto get into your book. I had thought about buying the Aagard/Pinski book from 2001, but I like that you get into the anti-Sicilians, and they didn't. I think Aagard is a very good chess writer also,  ut chose your book for the above reason, and the fact that it is very current.

Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #385 - 03/10/15 at 18:37:26
Post Tools
Daniel wrote on 03/10/15 at 14:44:14:
May you tell us what Modernized gives against the Najdorf and Sveshnikov? I wasn't too impressed with the KID book.

6.h3 against the Najdorf, c4 against the Sveshnikov.

TN wrote on 03/10/15 at 14:03:25:
I haven't worked through the book cover to cover but so far I am quite impressed.

Thanks TN, really appreciate it, glad to hear!

TN wrote on 03/10/15 at 14:03:25:
I might even write a full review at some point but what impresses me the most so far is the author's mix of passion and objectivity, and the way the material has been selected, in particular how Rotella has provided good new ideas in theoretically critical lines for the high-rated readers without wasting space on irrelevant sidelines.

Would love a full review somewhere - thanks so much again!

Speaking of full reviews, one just got posted on YouTube - check it out if you're interested:

John Bartholomew reviews "The Killer Sicilian"

IP Logged

Daniel

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #384 - 03/10/15 at 14:44:14
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 03/09/15 at 12:24:25:
For those of you modern bibliophiles who prefer the e-book, it's up now:

The Killer Sicilian eBook

Also, I received Modernized: The Open Sicilian on Friday, and will summarize my thoughts on their book versus my book when I get home from work tonight. I think we're doing alright. Wink

May you tell us what Modernized gives against the Najdorf and Sveshnikov? I wasn't too impressed with the KID book.

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #383 - 03/10/15 at 14:03:25
Post Tools
I haven't worked through the book cover to cover but so far I am quite impressed. I might even write a full review at some point but what impresses me the most so far is the author's mix of passion and objectivity, and the way the material has been selected, in particular how Rotella has provided good new ideas in theoretically critical lines for the high-rated readers without wasting space on irrelevant sidelines.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #382 - 03/09/15 at 15:38:43
Post Tools
fling wrote on 03/09/15 at 12:35:15:
I also checked Rossolimo and friends and it seems like your suggestion is not considered.

#Winning

Flashman wrote on 03/09/15 at 14:19:51:
My dream has come true!  Smiley

Enjoy!  Grin

IP Logged

Flashman
YaBB Newbies

I want to know only the
true!

Reply #381 - 03/09/15 at 14:19:51
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 03/09/15 at 12:24:25:

Also, I received Modernized: The Open Sicilian on Friday, and will summarize my thoughts on their book versus my book when I get home from work tonight. I think we're doing alright. Wink

My dream has come true!  Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #380 - 03/09/15 at 12:35:15
Post Tools
I also checked Rossolimo and friends and it seems like your suggestion is not considered.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #379 - 03/09/15 at 12:24:25
Post Tools

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #378 - 03/04/15 at 07:56:31
Post Tools
rotten wrote on 03/01/15 at 08:39:43:
Tony Rotella's Killer  Sicilian is one of the best opening books i ever read.

Wow, thank you!  Shocked

rotten wrote on 03/01/15 at 08:39:43:
Great work!!!

And thanks again!

I hope you continue to enjoy it, cheers!  Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

rotten
YaBB Newbies

Grand Patzer

Reply #377 - 03/01/15 at 08:39:43
Post Tools
Tony Rotella's Killer  Sicilian is one of the best opening books i ever read. Complete repertoire, great analysis, verbal explanations and two choise for black (one more positional, one more sharp) when it's possible.
The Anti-Sicilian part of the book is so good, give a player a solid repertoire. In fact someone can choose the book only for this part (if have no interest in Kalashnikov) and still worth the money!
Great work!!!

I always play 1.d4. The rest of the game is a huge effort to achieve e4!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #376 - 02/23/15 at 01:34:51
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/22/15 at 23:51:26:
Excellent book.

Thank you sir!  Grin

I superficially read through it yesterday evening (still took me more than two hours) and I have noted that it will require a lot of work by me. And that's the way I like it. I also like it that you put the difficult stuff immediately at the forefront in chapter 1.

It was a lot of work for me too!  Cheesy

But depending on whether or not you plan to use the repertoire for OTB or correspondence play, the workload will be greatly diminished. I find that very few of my OTB games go particularly far into the book and a ton of them end up in Chapters 2 or 10, but now that it's out, I expect a greater number of my correspondence games to go much deeper. In fact, one has already, all the way up to 16.c3 a5 17.Qa4 Bd7 18.Rfd1 Qd8 19.Rd2 g6 20.Rc1 Kg7 of Chapter 1. Not sure if my opponent found the idea by himself or he grabbed a copy of the book quickly after it came out, though it doesn't much matter.

I debated for a long time about the order of the chapters actually. One of the most influential chess books of my career, Dearing's Dragon book, ordered them exactly the opposite - with increasing level of sophistication by White. I can't quite put my finger on why 8.Nc4! had to be Chapter 1, but I like the ordering as it is - it would be weird to me for Chapter 2 to be Chapter 1. Doesn't smell right.

As a result I for the time being have doubts on 7...Be7 and especially 12.a4 on page 38. It doesn't seem like this will give me more winning chances than ...Kf8 lines in the French Winawer (I have a perfect score with it - five games, five draws).

It's certainly a principled line, though I haven't found anything concretely better for White. If you have I'd love to see it and a take a look myself. Black is very solid, and has very Kalashnikov-esque kind of play, if that makes sense. Harvey Williamson has been playing a few Kalashnikovs and Anti-Kalashnikov over here while competing in the WBCCC 2015 Side Event, and his games have been going swimmingly so far. By chances there's a game that features 12.a4:

16.g4!? was certainly creative, but one could argue that might have been played if White couldn't find more conventional routes to an advantage. Who knows!

Is the comment about winning chances with respect to correspondence? It's tough to find openings that give winning chances for Black in that domain. There are only a few real openings that can confuse computers enough to allow Black to create real chances reliably there, at least in my opinion. The Winawer is one of them, the KID is another (and only in a few lines), perhaps some of the more closed variations of the Ruy Lopez (I have been thinking about supplementing my Kalashnikovs and Sveshnikos with this line for that reason). Anyway, I would not fault you for sticking to the Winawer in that case. I know that playing 1...e6 probably meshes better with your Dutch repertoire as well. I'd like to hear you thoughts on Black repertoires in CC anyway, but perhaps that's a discussion best left for a separate thread.

Of course as a Dutchman I already have minor complaints. On page 33 Hans is not the surname - the game was P.Cijs-H.P. Lüddeckens.

This is a weird screw-up actually, and one that I don't think has anything to do with me being American. In the database that I'm currently using as a reference, I would have not made that mistake. The game is correctly listed, and the surname and first names are very easy to distinguish and list correctly. I have (and Palliser as well, my editor) found a few weird game references, similar to these. I wonder if it's due to the fact that my old database had some screwups (it was Opening Master, and I wouldn't put that past them). It's also possible that it was late at night, I was in a hurry, or I was just being particularly thick that day. All of those things are certainly possible as well.

I can always count on you and Stefan to keep me on my toes with regards to chess history and naming.   Grin

I hope you continue to enjoy the book as you delve deeper.  Smiley

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #375 - 02/22/15 at 23:51:26
Post Tools
Excellent book. I superficially read through it yesterday evening (still took me more than two hours) and I have noted that it will require a lot of work by me. And that's the way I like it. I also like it that you put the difficult stuff immediately at the forefront in chapter 1. As a result I for the time being have doubts on 7...Be7 and especially 12.a4 on page 38. It doesn't seem like this will give me more winning chances than ...Kf8 lines in the French Winawer (I have a perfect score with it - five games, five draws). As my first look at 7...b5 seems to confirm that Black has problems I can't decide yet.
So your book is going to keep me busy for a long time.
Of course as a Dutchman I already have minor complaints. On page 33 Hans is not the surname - the game was P.Cijs-H.P. Lüddeckens.

https://www.iccf.com/game?id=153105

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #374 - 02/22/15 at 06:31:01
Post Tools
Hi HighPockets,

It wasn't a conscious decision, more of a miss. I hit some variations on the same structure with the Ng1 on e2, the Nb1 on c3, and with the pawn on f4 in the GPA, 3.Nc3, and 2.Ne2 coverage, but not the true KIA with Nf3 and the delayed development of the queen's knight. With that said, I'll tie up that loose end in an update.

I'll surely suggest a line that I've had success with, and one that is consistent with our approach to a lot of other less testing tries, that being the kingside fianchetto combined with ...e5 and ...Nge7. Black even has the option of playing ...d5 in one go. For what it's worth, White scores terribly after 5...e5 & 6...Nge7 in my database. I'll post a bit of analysis and some illustrative games to get you and your friend started tomorrow, for right now it's quite late in Cleveland!

Thanks to you and your friend for the compliments and support. I hope you're enjoying the book!

IP Logged

Harold
YaBB Newbies

Have you tried turning
it off and on again?

Reply #373 - 02/21/15 at 10:14:40
Post Tools
Hi there, A friend and myself have bought two copies of your most excellent book and we are delighted with your treatment and your systematic approach.  We are wondering why, however, you (decided?) excluded coverage of the King's Indian Attack (KIA) under the Anti-Sicilian heading?

Love Your Work.
HighPockets

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #372 - 02/18/15 at 23:37:13
Post Tools
ArKheiN wrote on 02/18/15 at 22:19:43:
I have ordered your book, it will arrive soon Wink

Great, can't wait to hear what you think! Thanks for the support!  Wink

ArKheiN wrote on 02/18/15 at 22:19:43:
One question, did you check the 2012 french book from GM Cornette and GM Libiszewski "Dégainez la Kalashnikov"?

I did in fact. It might not be in the bibliography as such, because it was eventually released (with a few very small updates iirc) under the name The Complete Kalashnikov. The book itself is solid - I think they miss some details in some important lines (as one example, I don't recall them covering 16.c3!? from my Chapter 1, which I consider to be critical) and it suffers from ridiculously bad formatting and typesetting (it's hard to navigate), but overall I like it. One thing it has going for it is that it covers both 7...Be7 and the older 7...b5, which I didn't have space to do, and perhaps there's a little bit more analysis overall, just because of space considerations. Well worth checking out, and I said so in my book as well.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #371 - 02/18/15 at 22:19:43
Post Tools
Hello TonyRo,

I have ordered your book, it will arrive soon Wink

I will tell you later what I think of it. One question, did you check the 2012 french book from GM Cornette and GM Libiszewski "Dégainez la Kalashnikov"? Here is a link if you didn't: http://chess-evolution.com/download/samples/Degainez%20la%20Kalachnikov-Promotio...

I have not this book (yet), a shame for someone speaking French!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #370 - 02/18/15 at 18:49:26
Post Tools
Yeah I'm not sure that the timelines matched up. I finished in early Summer, then due to an editing queue, delays at the printer, etc, my book was not released until the holidays of 2014, just recently in the US. Not sure of the exact time release date of the Sveshnikov book - it's possible I could have paid a fortune for shipping across the pond, but I don't think it's that important. It's likely that only a few of our lines overlap, and even then I think most Anti-Sicilians allow Black to equalize in many different ways. If I end up getting a copy and comparing our books, I'll be sure to append anything notable into my update in a few months time.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #369 - 02/18/15 at 18:25:01
Post Tools
I noticed that you don't mention "Sveshnikov vs. the anti-sicilians" in your bibliography. Was the book released to recently? Since there should be considerable overlap between your and Sveshnikovs book (who plans to publish on the kalashnikov as well)... did you compare your lines to that of Sveshnikov?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #368 - 02/18/15 at 06:32:13
Post Tools
Yet more Kalashnikovs on Christof Sielecki's live ICC stream today, here for those who'd like to view it. He's a very engaging player!

I have donated to his stream once before (if you regularly watch it you should too!), but I feel like I need to do it again for all of this advertising!  Cheesy

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #367 - 02/16/15 at 06:51:19
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 02/16/15 at 04:21:12:
I use is ...a6/...e6/...Nc6/...Nge7/...Ng6/...Be7/...0-0/...f6. It is solid and fairly systematic

Of course, as a Danish guy you almost have to, right? I found interest in the set up when I saw it in Winning with the Smith-Morra (I unfortunately sold the book to make room for more but regret it now). I think it is not as well known as some of the other ways to play against the Morra.

Edit: but wait, I thought the Bishop belonged at d6 to control e5?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #366 - 02/16/15 at 05:24:12
Post Tools
Larsen_fan wrote on 02/15/15 at 16:16:32:
Which openings against 1. d4 go along with the Kalashnikov in a repertoire. Im thinking in terms of move order, tactical- and positional  patterns etc.

Hi Larsen_Fan,

There aren't really any 1.d4 defense that closely mimic the Kalashnikov completely - the Sicilian Defense is just too different of an animal really. But if I had to recommend an option, and one that is different than your current repertoire, I'd suggest the KID. Both openings are "dark-squared" defenses that keep a lot of pieces on the board while maintaining rigid (and by that I mean not "fluid") pawn structures with well-defined pawn breaks, middlegames that focus on piece maneuvers, and both can lead to higher percentages of kingside attacks compared to openings like the French, QGD, etc.

A lot of Kalashnikov experts go this route, e.g. Nataf, Radjabov (Nataf is/was his trainer, so this makes sense), Shabalov, Shirov, Grigore, have played the KID a lot or even close to exclusively. But with that said, other Kalashnikov players go totally different routes, e.g. Moiseenko and Ikonnikov both prefer the Nimzo/Bogo complex.

Always a tough decision! Best of luck, and happy hunting!  Grin
« Last Edit: 02/16/15 at 19:46:09 by TonyRo »  

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #365 - 02/16/15 at 04:51:34
Post Tools
With respect to the Morra Gambit, I think that the principled approach is simply to just take the pawn, but psychologically I think that it might annoy the opponent to transpose to 2. c3, like said above.

Yeah, it's a tough decision. Black is probably at best equal both ways - one has the psychological advantage of taking your opponent out of his preferred paths, but has the disadvantage that it's slightly more difficult to play for more. A lot of times I base my decision to take or not on whether or not I think my opponent has prepared a lot or not. In internet blitz games I almost always take it, especially against lower rated players, while against a strong opponent OTB I would likely decline it to avoid extensive preparation and lower my risk.

Like mentioned in the introduction, about starting with Sweshnikow Sicilian with 5...e5, I used to play this, I even played this in a FIDE international event twice, but it honestly is quite scary at times with the king just sitting with all of the pawns up there (and two are doubled).

Yes - it's funny that both Shabalov and I started the opposite way. After I met him at a few lectures/simuls in my hometown I took up the Kalashnikov, using the Pinski/Aagaard, Silman, and McDonald books as my guide, and later switched to the Sveshnikov when it became a bit more popular and when The Easiest Sicilian was published. But just as Shabalov mentioned, with the rise of 11.c4 (even if Black is fine there), I'd prefer to play the Kalashnikov for more than one reason.

Maybe switching from the Sweshnikow to the Kalashnikow is like how some switch from the main line Semi-Slaw to the Classical Slaw. Smiley

Not a bad analogy at all.  Grin

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #364 - 02/16/15 at 04:21:12
Post Tools
With respect to the Morra Gambit, I think that the principled approach is simply to just take the pawn, but psychologically I think that it might annoy the opponent to transpose to 2. c3, like said above. My only loss against the Morra Gambit was when I was already winning in an endgame an exchange and three pawns up and started to mess up so badly and hung many of my pieces, but the system that I use is ...a6/...e6/...Nc6/...Nge7/...Ng6/...Be7/...0-0/...f6. It is solid and fairly systematic.

Kalashnikow is definitely quite safe in terms of the king. Like mentioned in the introduction, about starting with Sweshnikow Sicilian with 5...e5, I used to play this, I even played this in a FIDE international event twice, but it honestly is quite scary at times with the king just sitting with all of the pawns up there (and two are doubled).

Maybe switching from the Sweshnikow to the Kalashnikow is like how some switch from the main line Semi-Slaw to the Classical Slaw. Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #363 - 02/16/15 at 02:31:06
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 02/15/15 at 20:12:15:
Actually I am pleasantly surprised that the Kalashnikow is actually not "heavy" theoretically compared to my other repertoires.

Yes, this is a definite bonus. The nice thing about 4...e5 is that Black carves out an equal share of the center, and generally does not fall behind in development. Combine that with the fact that White's kingside knight must head over to the queenside, and you've got yourself one of the safest variations with respect to Black's king. And a safe king usually means less theory. Of course White gets a more prominent weakness on d5 in return.

It might take me less time

It will definitely take less time!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #362 - 02/16/15 at 02:18:02
Post Tools
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/15/15 at 20:01:02:
Obviously all this is personal preference but what stands out to me is the digestability (is that a word) of the book. I feel like I really _understood_ quite a bit about the Rossolimo by browsing through your recommendation.
A really outstanding job. I am pretty sure, that I will rework my anti-sicilians based on your recommendations.

Thanks so much! I was seriously worried about what people would think about Anti-Sicilian chapters that are ~30 pages long. But the Rossolimo is as or more important as the main lines of the Kalashnikov, and it's important that every 2...Nc6 player has a trusted weapon.

I still take the Morra pawn as well using mostly Palliser/Gallagher's ...d6/...a6 recommendation, but I thought to simply regurgitate that line with a few updates, probably in 10-15 pages, would be too much in an already very large book.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #361 - 02/15/15 at 20:18:23
Post Tools
it is veldig tedious

Sorry for being completely offtopic:

As someone who has a serious crush on nordic languages I totally love reading your posts.  Smiley

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #360 - 02/15/15 at 20:12:15
Post Tools
Actually I am pleasantly surprised that the Kalashnikow is actually not "heavy" theoretically compared to my other repertoires. The Najdorf that I play obviously there really are not that many 1. e4 openings that reach the theoretical amount that Najdorf has. Caro-Kann with ...0-0 and the French with Winawer also seem more than the Kalashnikow (anti-Sicilians included). I feel that Kalashnikow is around the same amount of theory as my Pirc repertoire.

Just today I was doing my own analysis (for Black!) on my favourite 6. Bg5 Nbd7 against Negi's recommendations in his new book. I had to do analyses literally until move 50 to see if some of the endgames that I got I would play them over the board, because I deviated from his analysis around moves 25-30. Veldig often I had to leave Stockfisk running on a move for over a few hours just to make sure, which makes my own analyses for 6. Bg5 Nbd7 Najdorf a bit long--my ChessBase file on this line is dated from November 2014 and I usually work on this line every couple days.

Although it is kind of fun in some ways, it is veldig tedious, and from what I see, the Kalashnikow usually does not have such long, forcing and irrational lines.

As I write this, Stockfisk is running on move 41 from when I deviate on move 30 from one of the sidenotes to 20. d6 in the 6. Bg5 Nbd7 7. Qe2 h6 8. Bh4 g6 chapter from Negi's new book. Perpetual, drawn rook endgame? Who knows, but I am close review all of the main line variations in Tony's book. It might take me less time Smiley

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #359 - 02/15/15 at 20:01:02
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/14/15 at 03:55:07:
I really like 3...Nf6 against the Rossolimo. It's not easy at all for White to prove a theoretical edge, and the positions are really interesting. There's the usual bonus too that White inevitably knows less about it than 3...g6, 3...d6, or 3...e6.

At least take a look at the other choices. I really like the line I play against the GPA, both Bc4 and Bb5. Worth a shot!

Wink

Thank you so much for the support and compliments. Let me know what you think once you've delved a bit deeper.

I think De La Villa does very briefly mention it, but just like Experts, might only cover the early ...h5 lines (I can't remember for sure though - I do recall that his coverage was either absent or brief to the point that it didn't really even get mentioned in The Killer Sicilian). His lack of coverage is no knock on DTS, as 7...Be7 really was in it's infancy at that point.

My first comment was a little bit too early. At the moment I am still browsing through the book without any hard theoretical word but I have gone over all lines which are relevant for me now. I had looked at the Alapin and Smith-Morra recommendations. I always preferred 2...d5 in the Alapin when I was playing the sicilian and accepted the Smith-Morra Gambit because I think black is fine (as in equal) and the extra pawn is some material which might lead to a win if white isn't keeping his initiative.
However, I had not really looked at the Grand Prix recommendation and the ones in the closed sicilian. I really like the lines you recommend there. I haven't checked the lines for their theoretical value (and there are other, stronger players to judge that) but I like the kind of positions you go for (interesting, unbalanced, bishop pair etc). I played similiar against the GPA (at least the first moves). I always played 8...Nxf3 in your Bb5-GPA mainline (met this line quite often) but your 8...f5! looks very interesting. I also enjoy your use of the Botvinnik triangle against the closed sicilian.
Obviously all this is personal preference but what stands out to me is the digestability (is that a word) of the book. I feel like I really _understood_ quite a bit about the Rossolimo by browsing through your recommendation.
A really outstanding job. I am pretty sure, that I will rework my anti-sicilians based on your recommendations.

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #358 - 02/15/15 at 16:16:32
Post Tools
Hi Tony (and others)

Which openings against 1. d4 go along with the Kalashnikov in a repertoire. Im thinking in terms of move order, tactical- and positional  patterns etc.

My current repertoire with Black is french / Queens gambit declined. Both solid and require a minimum of maintenance but I would like to explore new types of positions and are looking for a completly new approach.

regards,

Larsen_fan

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #357 - 02/14/15 at 03:55:07
Post Tools
I really like 3...Nf6 against the Rossolimo. It's not easy at all for White to prove a theoretical edge, and the positions are really interesting. There's the usual bonus too that White inevitably knows less about it than 3...g6, 3...d6, or 3...e6.

At least take a look at the other choices. I really like the line I play against the GPA, both Bc4 and Bb5. Worth a shot!

Wink

Thank you so much for the support and compliments. Let me know what you think once you've delved a bit deeper.

I think De La Villa does very briefly mention it, but just like Experts, might only cover the early ...h5 lines (I can't remember for sure though - I do recall that his coverage was either absent or brief to the point that it didn't really even get mentioned in The Killer Sicilian). His lack of coverage is no knock on DTS, as 7...Be7 really was in it's infancy at that point.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #356 - 02/13/15 at 21:41:48
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 14:21:52:
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/10/15 at 14:05:49:
Actually it's even better. Will be skiing during the day and working through the book in the evening Wink

As I sit here and type this at work, that sounds amazing.  Cry

A question I have out of pure curiosity: Do you get any information from your publisher how many books have been printed/sold? I have no idea what number would make a chess book "well selling" ...

I have been asked this a lot, but unfortunately I don't know - they certainly don't go out of their way to tell me that, but I haven't asked either. I always joke that I don't want to find out how underpaid I was, but it would actually be interesting to find out about how many copies sell for the reason you mentioned. I don't have a great handle on it either.

Too bad you don't get any information on this. The book arrived yesterday btw...:
I really like the recommendations on the Rossolimo, which is the chapter I mostly bought the book for from black's perspective. Still struggling to chose between 2...e6 and 2...Nc6  (made a thread about that) and what I've seen so far is encouraging 2...Nc6. Unfortunately the other anti-sicilian lines on the 2nd move are not my prefered choices. But this obviously not at all the books fault - and I might well change my mind. If I hadn't already too many choices against 1. e4 I would seriously consider the whole repertoire.

Congrats on the great achievement of writing this book. Looks great so far... I'm looking forward to have a closer look at your work and already fear having to prepare against it Wink. Is it possible that Dismantling the Sicilian doesn't even mention your move 7...Be7?  Shocked (probably has been discussed before)

IP Logged

Pessoa

As coisas não têm significação:
têm existência.

Reply #355 - 02/12/15 at 12:21:32
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 01:23:55:
My brief thoughts on the a3 plans in this Rossolimo line are attached!  Grin

Well, thank you very much indeed!
Instructive and helpful!
This move ...Rd5!! (Know what I mean.) Wow!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #354 - 02/11/15 at 18:25:40
Post Tools
Another shout-out for The Killer Sicilian and some interesting Kalashnikov action by Christof Sielecki here! Enjoy it, his channel is one of my favorites!

Grin

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #353 - 02/11/15 at 15:36:03
Post Tools
Thank you sir!  Grin

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #352 - 02/11/15 at 08:29:25
Post Tools
I already had it said in my post in the poll, but your book is on the Kalashnikow Sicilian, which 2300+ has a (right or fel) not as high a rock-solid reputation like 1...e5 with regular Open Games like Bologan's, absolute main lines of 1. e4 against the French and Caro-Kann like Negi's, the Classical Slaw with 4...dxc4 like Awrukh's, so it needs to show that this opening is on the same level of soundness, and I think that as your book is basically on the same level as those, the above goal was also accomplished.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #351 - 02/11/15 at 07:11:24
Post Tools
My one bit of "campaigning" - if you find that you really enjoyed the book (more than the other options), the poll is open for ChessPub Book of the Year, so go vote for The Killer Sicilian. After four years of laboring, it would be nice to win, but Bologan and Negi did amazing work too.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #350 - 02/10/15 at 14:21:52
Post Tools
Actually it's even better. Will be skiing during the day and working through the book in the evening Wink

As I sit here and type this at work, that sounds amazing.  Cry

A question I have out of pure curiosity: Do you get any information from your publisher how many books have been printed/sold? I have no idea what number would make a chess book "well selling" ...

I have been asked this a lot, but unfortunately I don't know - they certainly don't go out of their way to tell me that, but I haven't asked either. I always joke that I don't want to find out how underpaid I was, but it would actually be interesting to find out about how many copies sell for the reason you mentioned. I don't have a great handle on it either.

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #349 - 02/10/15 at 14:05:49
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 02/10/15 at 01:24:41:
Pale Horse, Pale Rider wrote on 02/09/15 at 21:49:09:
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book.

Great, thanks for hopping on! Hope you like it!  Wink

Thrilled to browse through it in my vacation next week  Cheesy

That's a great way to spend a vacation! Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #348 - 02/10/15 at 01:24:41
Post Tools
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book.

Great, thanks for hopping on! Hope you like it!  Wink

That's a great way to spend a vacation! Thanks for checking it out, and let me know what you think.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #347 - 02/10/15 at 01:23:55
Post Tools
My brief thoughts on the a3 plans in this Rossolimo line are attached!  Grin

ChessPub_Rossolimo.pgn ( 3 KB | 258 Downloads )

IP Logged

Pale Horse, Pale Rider

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #346 - 02/09/15 at 21:49:09
Post Tools
Jumping on the bandwagon I just ordered the book. Not really planning on picking up the Kalashnikov but really interested in the anti-sicilian section and also want to stay updated for my white repertoire even though I never ever encountered the Kalashnikov in a rated game.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #345 - 02/09/15 at 21:34:14
Post Tools
I just looked at the beginning of the last game, with no sound. However, I do like that line with just short castling instead of defending the pawn on d6 with ...Be7 (as in the game).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #344 - 02/09/15 at 20:24:49
Post Tools
A few Kalashnikovs today on Christoph Sielecki's YT Channel:

ChessExplained @ YouTube

Will take a look at the Rossolimo line tonight - been busy catching up on a few ICCF games I've been lagging behind on...

IP Logged

PANFR

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #343 - 02/09/15 at 11:56:17
Post Tools
Pessoa wrote on 02/04/15 at 18:06:40:
This nice book has renewed my interest in 3…Nb6 after 3.Bb5. And it contains some useful notes on some lines in this variation given by Kolev and Nedev (K&N) in their book “The Easiest Sicilian.”

However, I wonder why in “The Killer Sicilian” no mention is made of a certain recommendation by Gawain Jones (as given in his book “How to Beat the Sicilian Defence”). I.e., after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.Nc3 g6 5.Bxc6 dxc6 6.h3 Bg7 7.d3 0-0 8.Be3 b6 9.Qd2 e5, Jones endorses 10.a3!? (in the chapter on 3…g6, where the above position occurs via a different move order).

In contrast to Rotella, K&N mention this move and offer 10…a5 11.0-0 a4 12.Rae1 Re8 13.Nh2, and here they improve upon Jones’ line with 13…c4! (if I remember the moves after 10…a5 correctly).

Now I have a question to Tony Rotella (or any other expert on the Rossolimo): Would you, after 10.a3!?, also play 10…a5? And if so, what would you then do after the slightly irritating 11.Na4, which appears to be a standard way for White to prepare b2-b4?

The final position in Jones' analysis is completely equal, and Black can improve at a previous stage, as you have already hinted.
I found an interesting new idea for white (the antipositional 12.Nxe5!?) which did not give me any real advantage. With a little help from my opponent I won a pawn way after the opening phase, but this was not enough. Oh, and I wouldn't expect a move like 11.Na4 becoming trendy, or anything close to that...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #342 - 02/07/15 at 03:22:24
Post Tools
Yes - I think that 10.g3 with the relatively unknown 16.c3!? or the last line of Chapter 3 are White's best bets. As Black against the former, you can try either Isikgeit's solid 21...Qe7 or my more active 21...Qc7!? - White has some slight pressure but must play very precisely to get anything, and Black's play is thematic nonetheless.

I have an ongoing ICCF game where my opponent tried the slightly shocking 21.h4!?, which doesn't look bad. White reasons (as I said in the book) that any move like Rd1, Qc2, cxb4, etc, has noticeable drawbacks and opens up options for Black, and so he focuses on Black's kingside dark squares and king for a second, leaving everything else intact.

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #341 - 02/06/15 at 21:57:17
Post Tools
Actually I like the paper, but I like hellere the paper where it is smooth rather than rough, think of the Quality Chess paper, but the paper is definitely better than the previous paper, that was a bit hard and coarse.

Would you say, Tony, that the line that ends on page 64 is the most critical line of the entire book? This looks like the most forcing line and I like that theoretical equality is besought in this line than trying for a deviation that may offer more chances but would probably be much more dangerous to play against titled opposition. In any case, when I played 1. e4, I never could do anything against the Kalashnikow main lines, disregarding the times where I got plastered by move 15-20 in this line (like in my other thread Smiley).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #340 - 02/06/15 at 20:40:09
Post Tools
fling wrote on 02/06/15 at 13:17:04:
So far I have flipped through the book and looked at a few lines. I really like it, and a good thing is that there are recommendations against both Dismatling the Sicilian, Experts vs the Sicilian and Experts on the Anti-Sicilian (in which Cornette writes about 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Bb5, not the former one Wink ).

Thanks for the nice comments and support, I really appreciate you picking up the book! Yes - the good thing is that that Khalifman, De La Villa, Experts, etc, were written before 7...Be7 became popular, so it wasn't too hard to come up with improvements. Negi and Shaw's books will be tougher, but practically it probably won't matter much - I rarely find people stepping down the main lines or meeting 4...e5 with tons of preparation regardless.

fling wrote on 02/06/15 at 13:17:04:
The only small complaint I have so far is the size. It is bigger than most of my other Everyman books.

Yeah, their new format is interesting. The type is definitely larger and easier to read, but the physical size is definitely imposing. Tougher than hell to carry and store (I still have 5 review copies I'm looking to rid myself of!), but it is nice to read. I like the paper a lot (and with Everyman using some bad papers in the past, e.g. Gambiteer II, I'm lucky), but the physical profile of the book is a bit larger than I'd like. I thought the size used for books like Vigorito's KID series or Palliser's Anti-Sicilians book was optimal.

Thanks again, and do stop in later if you have more comments or compliments!  Grin

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #339 - 02/06/15 at 13:17:04
Post Tools
So far I have flipped through the book and looked at a few lines. I really like it, and a good thing is that there are recommendations against both Dismatling the Sicilian, Experts vs the Sicilian and Experts on the Anti-Sicilian (in which Cornette writes about 1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Bb5, not the former one Wink ).

I agree with Cox here AFAIK. The detail is good, yet the explanations make me able to guess what moves Black ought to play in many lines. Also, speaking of the line above, it is good that it is summarized in a few pages for Black, as the book has more than 80 pages covering it!

The only small complaint I have so far is the size. It is bigger than most of my other Everyman books. Because I have a limited physical space for my books, this means less room for other books  Cheesy On the other hand, it makes it quite comfortable to read, when the pages are not totally packed with letters.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #338 - 02/04/15 at 18:11:34
Post Tools
Hi Pessoa,

Let me check it out in some detail and get back to you. Thanks for checking out the book and really looking in depth!

Grin

IP Logged

Pessoa

As coisas não têm significação:
têm existência.

Reply #337 - 02/04/15 at 18:06:40
Post Tools
This nice book has renewed my interest in 3…Nb6 after 3.Bb5. And it contains some useful notes on some lines in this variation given by Kolev and Nedev (K&N) in their book “The Easiest Sicilian.”

However, I wonder why in “The Killer Sicilian” no mention is made of a certain recommendation by Gawain Jones (as given in his book “How to Beat the Sicilian Defence”). I.e., after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.Nc3 g6 5.Bxc6 dxc6 6.h3 Bg7 7.d3 0-0 8.Be3 b6 9.Qd2 e5, Jones endorses 10.a3!? (in the chapter on 3…g6, where the above position occurs via a different move order).

In contrast to Rotella, K&N mention this move and offer 10…a5 11.0-0 a4 12.Rae1 Re8 13.Nh2, and here they improve upon Jones’ line with 13…c4! (if I remember the moves after 10…a5 correctly).

Now I have a question to Tony Rotella (or any other expert on the Rossolimo): Would you, after 10.a3!?, also play 10…a5? And if so, what would you then do after the slightly irritating 11.Na4, which appears to be a standard way for White to prepare b2-b4?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #336 - 01/31/15 at 06:35:56
Post Tools
TN wrote on 01/31/15 at 06:30:21:
Just thought I'd mention that I ordered the book.  Smiley

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. Wink

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #335 - 01/31/15 at 06:30:21
Post Tools
Just thought I'd mention that I ordered the book.  Smiley

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #334 - 01/31/15 at 06:24:24
Post Tools
That's awesome! Besides the horrific spelling error on the spine, the cover art is really awesome. Perfect for such a book!

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #333 - 01/31/15 at 03:15:04
Post Tools
Othy wrote on 01/31/15 at 02:55:05:
First review courtesy of my three-year-old when I opened the box:

"Wow! It's so beautiful! A red book. Look, Dad, a pawn! It's really beautiful!"

She then claimed the book as her own. I may need to order another copy for myself.

Grin

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,
doth light of light beguile.

Reply #332 - 01/31/15 at 02:55:05
Post Tools
First review courtesy of my three-year-old when I opened the box:

"Wow! It's so beautiful! A red book. Look, Dad, a pawn! It's really beautiful!"

She then claimed the book as her own. I may need to order another copy for myself.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,

Reply #331 - 01/26/15 at 21:22:55
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:57:38:
You can get it for a few dollars cheaper than that from Chess4Less I'm guessing.

Good call. I just placed an order and should be holding the book in my hands around this time next week!

TonyRo wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:57:38:
The book itself is $27-30 here in the US no matter what, with shipping it will be closer to $40 than not unfortunately.

Quite right. I use Amazon Prime in America, which includes free 2-day shipping on all Amazon-shipped items, so I'm a little spoiled.

Supporting you and getting a great new book is worth the extra $10-15.  Grin

Now I have a week to review the databases and acclimating myself to the positions before the books arrives and I can really get to understanding things. Maybe the line will even find its way into one of my tournament games at the end of February.

And I will of course have feedback for you (and Amazon review authoring pen at the ready) when I've made my way through and formed some solid impressions.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #330 - 01/26/15 at 18:57:38
Post Tools
Othy wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:36:06:
This still isn't available through any American booksellers yet (except those with exorbitant shipment fees attached). Ordering direct from Everyman's warehouses will run me ~$40. I'm tempted to pony up the cash!

You can get it for a few dollars cheaper than that from Chess4Less I'm guessing. The book itself is $27-30 here in the US no matter what, with shipping it will be closer to $40 than not unfortunately...I think @ Chess4Less will ship USPS for aorund $5-6, but that's from memory, not something I looked up.

How long does it typically take Everyman to release ebook formats after initial publishing?

The eBooks probably vary according to how much work there is in converting whatever the author submits in Chessbase to an eBook that's identical to the printed work. I know that my files of analysis I turned in are organized well and mostly complete, but there are definite differences in the writing and analysis. Some of what's in the book is different than what's in the CB file, and vice versa. The commentary is definitely different - I did a lot of revisions there after I had already ported everything over to MS Word. The book is quite large anyway - I would say it might be a few months, possibly more. Really no idea. It really depends on when they get around to it - I don't have any involvement with the eBooks.

I am so looking forward to this book, Tony. I have kept up with your hard work on the forums here. I would buy the book just out of appreciation of your accomplishment.

Thanks a ton - the support and kind words definitely make the 4 years it took me to write this paperweight worth it!

But it so happens I have been looking for a complementary variation for my Acc. Dragon as well. Wink

The Kalashnikov is a good compliment - might get you out of studying 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 too, as you could always just play 3...g6.

Othy wrote on 01/26/15 at 18:38:14:
And in line with the current discussion topic, as a player who alternates between fianchetto setups with ...e6 or ...e5, I'm also looking forward to your take on the latter.

If you end up tracking down a copy of TKS, let me know what you think!  Grin

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,

Reply #329 - 01/26/15 at 18:38:14
Post Tools
And in line with the current discussion topic, as a player who alternates between fianchetto setups with ...e6 or ...e5, I'm also looking forward to your take on the latter.

IP Logged

Othy
YaBB Newbies

Light, seeking light,

Reply #328 - 01/26/15 at 18:36:06
Post Tools
This still isn't available through any American booksellers yet (except those with exorbitant shipment fees attached). Ordering direct from Everyman's warehouses will run me ~$40. I'm tempted to pony up the cash!

How long does it typically take Everyman to release ebook formats after initial publishing?

I am so looking forward to this book, Tony. I have kept up with your hard work on the forums here. I would buy the book just out of appreciation of your accomplishment. But it so happens I have been looking for a complementary variation for my Acc. Dragon as well. Wink

Congrats!

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #327 - 01/26/15 at 18:32:58
Post Tools
It does go back quite a ways, but I do think I put a fresh spin on it.  Grin

I also don't fault the reviewer, as the 6...e5 Fianchetto line hasn't been popular for a very long time...

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #326 - 01/26/15 at 05:30:59
Post Tools
It is perhaps adorable that the reviewer thinks you have advocated "a fairly new approach" against the Closed Sicilian.  (As far as I know you opted for 6...e5 stuff which off the top of my head goes back six decades ...).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #325 - 01/26/15 at 05:00:08
Post Tools
First review at Amazon UK is up! Five stars!

Grin

One star for each ten pound note I slipped the author.

Shocked

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #324 - 01/22/15 at 22:34:55
Post Tools
Deal.  Grin

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #323 - 01/22/15 at 21:38:38
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/22/15 at 04:13:20:
A small request - If any of you guys genuinely enjoyed/are still enjoying The Killer Sicilian, please write a review the next time you stop into Amazon - it'd be a big help! Thanks!

Grin

Only if you promise to find it helpful  Grin

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #322 - 01/22/15 at 04:13:20
Post Tools
A small request - If any of you guys genuinely enjoyed/are still enjoying The Killer Sicilian, please write a review the next time you stop into Amazon - it'd be a big help! Thanks!

Grin

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #321 - 01/17/15 at 17:18:53
Post Tools
tony37 wrote on 01/17/15 at 12:43:10:
Kalashnikov spotted in Carlsen-Hou

Larsen_fan wrote on 01/17/15 at 15:14:55:
Hou looks fine and Carlsen is taking a lot of time trying to come up with something (move 17 - 18).

Yes, interesting game. I looked at this 9...Bg5 line against 6.c4 Be7 7.N1c3 a6 8.Na3 Be6 9.Nc2! for TKS, but I didn't find the positions particularly easy to play or evaluate. Black is super solid, and indeed Hou looked fine in this game, even up to move 25-30 or so. But when I was working on these positions, I could never find any good ways to really improve my position - computers will shuffle Black's pieces around efficiently and not let White make any marked progress, but to me that seemed like a terrible way to play the game, or at the very least a terrible repertoire choice.

This game reminds me of one of the chapter's from Axel Smith's award-winning Pump Up Your Rating - "No Pawn Lever - No Plan". These kinds of positions are probably not the greatest choice against Magnus, and indeed, past move 30 Magnus out-maneuvered Hou quite badly, and by move 40 or so she looked markedly worse, and probably lost after 44.c5!.

Sad

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #320 - 01/17/15 at 17:10:46
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 01/17/15 at 12:33:50:
Come play the Kalashnikov! (Tony,you have my permission to use that title for your next book! Hell! lets plug the series to Everyman!)

I like the name, but even thinking about another book right now makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.  Cry

*Takes a nap*

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #319 - 01/17/15 at 17:09:33
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 01/17/15 at 03:13:18:
The book made me an offer I could not refuse.  I am making the book my new wartime consigliere.

I see what you did there.  Grin

So I jumped right in and started playing some training games using just the shallow understanding I grabbed in a few hours of reading and found some great positions coming up on the board.  Now making a more studious effort to learn and work through it and put Kalashnikov in repertoire for the upcoming US $$ tournaments that lead up to the World Open.

Its a real good book.   Smiley  Thanks for your efforts.

I'm glad you like it - thanks for the support, and good luck in your tournaments! I was thinking about traveling to the World Open, just to check it out this year - maybe I'll see you there!

DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 01/17/15 at 05:20:53:
It is true, this book is quite unique that it has a broad range of audience, I am someone who only has goals of IM by norms and hopefully better even, and it has good coverage for this cause. Usually opening books are either little detailed for higher rated players, or too detailed for lower rated players, but this one seems to have good balance. Even in open tournaments, you know that you need at least 5,5/9 with a 2400 performance to get rewarded an IM norm, thus you need good materials to help you. I like to think about opening books in that category: which ones really help to achieve norms after study, and which not, and I find that this one falls into the first category.

Thanks! If I recall I said in the introduction that I tried to give stronger players a lot of detailed analysis (it's still possible to give too much - that's something that an author really needs to think about), and club players reasonable explanations. I think the intro and "key takeaways" help there. Club players can always just study the book less deeply than titled players, but if the detailed analysis is not there, stronger players will never use your book!

IP Logged

Larsen_fan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #318 - 01/17/15 at 15:14:55
Post Tools
Hou looks fine and Carlsen is taking a lot of time trying to come up with something (move 17 - 18).

IP Logged

tony37
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #317 - 01/17/15 at 12:43:10
Post Tools
Kalashnikov spotted in Carlsen-Hou

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #316 - 01/17/15 at 12:33:50
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 01/17/15 at 11:08:17:
PatzerNoster wrote on 01/17/15 at 09:57:20:
In my tournament games the use of Anti-Sicilians has declined in the last two years:

Out of 23 games, I got:

• 14 "real" Dragons
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cd4: 4.Nd4: Nf6 5.f3 - 2 games
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ - 1 game
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4 - 1 game
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d3 - 1 game
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3 - 1 game
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3 - 1 game
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 g6 3.f4 (GPA) - 1 game
  • 1.e4 c5 2.Ne2 (but transposed to a mainline Maroczy) - 1 game

The average rating of my opponents was slightly below 2300, so I guess it's not true that you get more Open Sicilians only on Grandmaster level.

Though 2. ... Nc6 might be a different story, as there 3.Bb5 is really really popular...

I have also noticed that anti sicilians are  less common in the last two years. But these days I play e6 based sicilians and not Dragon.

Come play the Kalashnikov! (Tony,you have my permission to use that title for your next book! Hell! lets plug the series to Everyman!) It's where all the ex dragon afficianados seem to hang out these days!!  Grin

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #315 - 01/17/15 at 11:08:17
Post Tools
PatzerNoster wrote on 01/17/15 at 09:57:20:
In my tournament games the use of Anti-Sicilians has declined in the last two years:

Out of 23 games, I got:

• 14 "real" Dragons

The average rating of my opponents was slightly below 2300, so I guess it's not true that you get more Open Sicilians only on Grandmaster level.

Though 2. ... Nc6 might be a different story, as there 3.Bb5 is really really popular...

I have also noticed that anti sicilians are  less common in the last two years. But these days I play e6 based sicilians and not Dragon.

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #314 - 01/17/15 at 09:57:20
Post Tools

Out of 23 games, I got:

• 14 "real" Dragons

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #313 - 01/17/15 at 05:20:53
Post Tools
It is true, this book is quite unique that it has a broad range of audience, I am someone who only has goals of IM by norms and hopefully better even, and it has good coverage for this cause. Usually opening books are either little detailed for higher rated players, or too detailed for lower rated players, but this one seems to have good balance. Even in open tournaments, you know that you need at least 5,5/9 with a 2400 performance to get rewarded an IM norm, thus you need good materials to help you. I like to think about opening books in that category: which ones really help to achieve norms after study, and which not, and I find that this one falls into the first category.

Regarding anti-Sicilians, I think not that it is that people are just more interested in the anti-Sicilians, but unfortunately that is how it goes, any Sicilian player knows that they usually get more anti-Sicilians, unless they are 2500+. Even then, Zwiagintszew, Swidler, even Carlsen play anti-Sicilians sometimes, not always, but still. However, I find that if one plays in closed tournaments, less people play anti-Sicilians against you.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #312 - 01/17/15 at 03:13:18
Post Tools
The book made me an offer I could not refuse.  I am making the book my new wartime consigliere.

I've had it for a few days now and have had decent chance to get into it.  I've played a lot of Sveshnikov's over the years, became an 1...e5 player last five but have been looking for a second weapon to keep the rep from getting stale.

So I jumped right in and started playing some training games using just the shallow understanding I grabbed in a few hours of reading and found some great positions coming up on the board.  Now making a more studious effort to learn and work through it and put Kalashnikov in repertoire for the upcoming US $$ tournaments that lead up to the World Open.

I'm not sure what the Everyman target demo is but fwiw I am playing in the 'expert' sections.... u/2200 (in the lower half of that rating bracket).

Its a real good book.   Smiley  Thanks for your efforts.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #311 - 01/16/15 at 00:06:47
Post Tools
Thanks a lot John, you just made my day - means a lot coming from the man who wrote The Berlin Wall.

IMJohnCox wrote on 01/15/15 at 23:08:10:
It also introduced me to the expression 'go to the mattresses', whose derivation I defy anyone who doesn't know it to guess. Worth the purchase price for that alone.

This is what happens when you let an Italian-American write a chess book.  Grin  Wink  Shocked

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #310 - 01/15/15 at 23:08:10
Post Tools
I'd just like to say I think this is a really good book. Congratulations to TonyRo.

I qualify that by saying that don't know enough about the material to say whether there are things omitted, or whether the analysis is correct.

What is obvious though is that the explanations are very good, in my opinion striking exactly the right balance between words and moves, that the lines chosen are interesting, the level of detail just right, and that the book is well-written and organised. That's a hell of a good start, placing it immediately in the top 10% at least of opening books.

It also introduced me to the expression 'go to the mattresses', whose derivation I defy anyone who doesn't know it to guess. Worth the purchase price for that alone.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #309 - 01/13/15 at 20:57:30
Post Tools
DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 01/13/15 at 20:39:25:
To be honest I think that I might also study your 2...Nf6 but for the Morra...

This is one pro of playing this line - I used to always accept the Morra with 2...cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 d6 6.Bc4 a6 and still do on occasion, but with the Esserman and Langrock books being published and relatively popular, I like transposing to the c3 lines to try and annoy them more these days.

DenVerdsligeRejsende wrote on 01/13/15 at 20:39:25:
The material is absolutely in depth for someone like me, and much higher. I think that Radjabow could learn a lot from your book  Smiley

I decided to err on the side of over-analyzing, or just analyzing deeply. My thought was thought lower rated players could read the intro and just play through the bold lines while reading the commentary, then use it as a reference, while stronger players could deepen their knowledge and delve into the analysis more diligently. We'll see how people like it.

And if you're reading this thread Teimour (Wink), message me and tell me what you think!  Grin

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #308 - 01/13/15 at 20:53:10
Post Tools
So then you will have three (quite) different variations of the Sicilian in addition to the Pirc, French and Caro-Kann?

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #307 - 01/13/15 at 20:39:25
Post Tools
To be honest I think that I might also study your 2...Nf6 but for the Morra, which I have no idea what to do since no one plays it to me, bit then it lind of just makes sense to apply it tp 2. c3 too  Smiley. I have your book in my rucksack to bring to read in between rounds for next tournaments, I see the Kalashnikow very rarely even at my level 2300-2350 and even when I see boards near me, I think that I shall add this to my Najdorf and Kan. Been avwhile since I tried any 2...Nc6 Sicilians. I should add that this is an advantage of your book. The material is abbsolutely in depth for someone like me, and much higher. I think that Radjabow could learn a lot from your book  Smiley

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #306 - 01/13/15 at 20:32:48
Post Tools
Yes, if you play the French that's certainly a promising way to play. Not all of us are so talented!  Cheesy

IP Logged

DenVerdsligeRejsende

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #305 - 01/13/15 at 20:28:37
Post Tools
Personally I just play 2...e6 when people play 2. c3. Thos aims to transpose into the French advance which is fine because I play both Sicilian and French. Buy I doubt that very many do this. If 3. d4 d5 4. exd5 exd5 this is just a good version of the 4...£xd5 French Tarrasch. Nothing for White here, and I won against 2250 and 2300 here, first time within 25 moves (this time I was not the one to lose as White so fast!) but still your 2...Nf6 repertoite is solid and good for those who do not play both Sicilian and French.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #304 - 01/13/15 at 18:46:55
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 01/13/15 at 12:21:16:
Look at the strap on your left wrist Tony, as a committed 2...Nc6ite.
WWID
What would Ikonnikov do?
What do the leading lights do in such circumstances?

It's funny how many times I actually asked myself that during the writing of the book. It would not be a stretch for me to have written in the intro that this is a repertoire inspired by the games of V. Ikonnikov. Not only is he probably one of the greatest 7...Be7!? experts on the planet, but he's also used the Anti-Kalashnikov, Alapin, Grand Prix Attack, and Closed Sicilian recommendations. And if you're thinking that's basically the whole book - it pretty much is!

Wink

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #303 - 01/13/15 at 12:21:16
Post Tools
Look at the strap on your left wrist Tony, as a committed 2...Nc6ite.
WWID
What would Ikonnikov do?
What do the leading lights do in such circumstances?

The immediate ...e5 line as covered latterly in Dangerous Weapons is a good tool at club level (say, below 2000). Played it for many years.
1. e4 c5 2. c3 d5 3. ed Qd5 4. d4 e5.
Club level players always end up having to give the pawn back and have the king stranded. Quick wins for black.

Agree, the Bf5 lines are useful for livening things up.

Unlike 2..d6 players we have to have lines also managing to meet 2.Nf3, 3. c3 too of course.

Oh, and my strap has WWJD of course. What would Jack (Bauer) do?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #302 - 01/13/15 at 01:41:24
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 01/12/15 at 21:57:45:
I got my copy at the weekend - looks fantastic, well done Tony!

Great, thanks for the support! I hope that as you delve deeper you enjoy it even more.

I immediately turned to the chapter on the Alapin. I've used it as my main weapon against the Sicilian for over 10 years so it's the only chapter I can really use to gauge the quality of the book.

It's interesting to hear how people approach checking it out - one more in the "immediately jumped into the Anti-Sicilian sections" category.

I'm a fan of the lines where White delays d2-d4 and I think that your recommendations there are objectively the best Black has (certainly after committing to 6...d5) and covered with a very good level of detail.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd like to play them all as Black though, at least against weaker opponents. I won't go into too many specifics as I'm aware this is the open Sicilian board but for example, White can force a dead draw following Tiviakov - Carlsen, Wijk aan Zee 2007, or choose to deviate with compensation for a pawn. I'd much prefer to be on the White side of that decision. A practical complaint only and can be countered with the 'Black shouldn't complain about equality' argument.

Yes, I agree with you here. This is actually the chapter that bugged me most when working on the book, and for this exact reason.

A small, somewhat relevant aside - see, originally I simply wanted to write a kick-ass book about the Kalashnikov, but Everyman was rightfully hesitant. Their first book by Pinski and Aagaard did just okay, at a time when the Kalashnikov was arguably more popular, probably because it's not an opening that's particularly fashionable with the rating group that Everyman targets. And so when we were negotiating the scope of the book, they proposed that I cover the Anti-Sicilians, just at slightly less depth, using lines that were easy to pick up and learn. This was totally okay with me, and I was excited about the prospect of doing a repertoire book. I had interesting ideas in some places, and I too thought that in this day and age it made more sense to publish it as a repertoire.

So with their rating range in mind, I started to cook up recommendations that I thought were going to be relatively simple to play and learn (where I could - if you play the Sicilian complicated and dangerous positions are difficult to avoid in most lines). This early ...d6 line of the 2...Nf6 Alapin was one of those simple, reliable lines - and it was one that Sveshnikov himself thought highly of in his giant yellow tome as well. But as I started working on the book, it became clear to everyone involved that I was going to cover the Anti-Sicilians with as much detail as the main lines, and some of the recommendations changed, in my opinion for the better. But this Alapin recommendation stayed the same. It's a solid, reliable line, but exactly as you say, there's the practical problem that in some cases, the positions are too equal, or Black has to grab some material and turtle up for a while. The thing that snuck up on me was that the main lines of this system are easy to learn and pick up, but there are some snazzy sidelines that are a bit sharper - I tried to point those out and make sure there was enough depth and care there to ensure the reader knew what they were doing.

But again, just as you said - having a very clear cut way to achieve equality as Black shouldn't scoffed at either. I have been testing out the line 2.c3 d5 3.exd5 Qxd5 4.d4 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bf5!? in a ton of coffee shop battles, and while it's definitely easier to drum up winning chances there, I also get rolled up every now and again when my sparring partner comes in with some fresh ideas. I think I briefly mentioned the issue with writing about the Anti-Sicilians in the Introduction. It's a challenge to not cover lines already covered before, achieve equality, achieve winning chances, and appeal to the varying temperaments of the masses, all at the same time. But in this case I think you're right, and definitely appreciate the feedback - I've heard the same complaint from another 2300-ish player from your neck of the woods. I think to remedy this, I may cover my preferred 2...d5 line in an update to the book to offer a second, sharper option. It's less reliable and maybe slightly more dangerous for Black, but if you know what you're doing, the positions are also sharper and higher variance.

Grin

You mention the line 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3 Nf6 4.e5 Nd5 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 c4!? 7.Bc2 Qc7 8.Qe2 g5!? in passing. I personally would have loved to see that analysed but also understand that it's not a good fit for a repertoire book. I guess players who share my concerns above can dig into that treasure trove.

This line is very fun, yes! I have played quite a few longer time control games here, but I wasn't sure I could do it justice in a chapter that I thought was already slightly bloated (White has so many options in the Alapin!). Any short amount of coverage would be too little, and lines like these are very flip-floppy - one correspondence game could blow up the whole variation for Black and render two-three pages of analysis and text completely useless. I did that a couple times in the book - simply mention another option like this, and leave it up to the reader as to whether or not they wanted to put in the time to add it to their repertoire.

I'm not sure that approach serves me that well though - to most it probably looks like laziness. To me, I thought it was worth the 75 characters to point out something that the reader might find more to their taste, or interesting as a backup variation.

I have some experience in the Closed and Bb5 lines, so I'm looking forward to checking those out next. I hope the analysis is at the same high level (which I'm sure it will be).

I look forward to hearing what you have to say - I definitely appreciate the detailed feedback and the back and forth. Appreciate the kind words!

Maybe then I'll be tempted enough to learn the Kalashnikov  Grin

Let's hope so!  Cheesy Grin Wink

Cheers!

« Last Edit: 01/13/15 at 05:28:19 by TonyRo »  

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #301 - 01/12/15 at 21:57:45
Post Tools
I got my copy at the weekend - looks fantastic, well done Tony!

I immediately turned to the chapter on the Alapin. I've used it as my main weapon against the Sicilian for over 10 years so it's the only chapter I can really use to gauge the quality of the book.

I'm a fan of the lines where White delays d2-d4 and I think that your recommendations there are objectively the best Black has (certainly after committing to 6...d5) and covered with a very good level of detail.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd like to play them all as Black though, at least against weaker opponents. I won't go into too many specifics as I'm aware this is the open Sicilian board but for example, White can force a dead draw following Tiviakov - Carlsen, Wijk aan Zee 2007, or choose to deviate with compensation for a pawn. I'd much prefer to be on the White side of that decision. A practical complaint only and can be countered with the 'Black shouldn't complain about equality' argument.

You mention the line 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3 Nf6 4.e5 Nd5 5.Bc4 Nb6 6.Bb3 c4!? 7.Bc2 Qc7 8.Qe2 g5!? in passing. I personally would have loved to see that analysed but also understand that it's not a good fit for a repertoire book. I guess players who share my concerns above can dig into that treasure trove.

I have some experience in the Closed and Bb5 lines, so I'm looking forward to checking those out next. I hope the analysis is at the same high level (which I'm sure it will be). Maybe then I'll be tempted enough to learn the Kalashnikov  Grin

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #300 - 01/11/15 at 17:46:12
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 01/11/15 at 13:25:45:
May they rott in editorial hel.

This was hilarious. Yes, very disappointing - you work for 4 years on a project, and they screw up the cover art, but what can you do? I'm sure it was an honest mistake, albeit a very tough one to swallow when it's your name.

Thanks for chiming in, looking forward to hear what you think - I know I'll get an honest review outta ya!  Grin

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #299 - 01/11/15 at 13:25:45
Post Tools
How crass an error. Hope you kicked up a real stink about that. Just deeply insulting to you Tony. Rude.
Think Everyman need to sort out the editing side of things.
May they rott in editorial hel.
Just got my copy, some proper thoughts later, when time to read and ponder....
But firstly, well done!

IP Logged

FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #298 - 01/10/15 at 20:03:14
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/06/15 at 22:19:31:
I got my review copies! Tell you what, it's a good looking book!

Anyone notice the spelling error on the spine?  Shocked

Yes, a strange error from the publisher!

IP Logged

Sauron

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #297 - 01/10/15 at 10:37:24
Post Tools
The book arrived. Magnificent work. I don't know which one has been bigger effort, this book or my doctoral thesis!

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #296 - 01/08/15 at 23:47:50
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 01/08/15 at 23:05:42:
Leave the gun.  Take the cannoli and the chessbook.

Too funny! Hope you like it barnaby - let me know what you think!

Grin

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #295 - 01/08/15 at 23:05:42
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/08/15 at 03:45:45:
I don't know if this was a sneaky ulterior motive behind the title, but how many people will order the book and be deeply disappointed to find it's not a mafia thriller novel set in southern Italy!?  Smiley

Leave the gun.  Take the cannoli and the chessbook.

I ordered from chess4less and looking forward to delivery.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #294 - 01/08/15 at 04:29:52
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/08/15 at 03:45:45:
I don't know if this was a sneaky ulterior motive behind the title, but how many people will order the book and be deeply disappointed to find it's not a mafia thriller novel set in southern Italy!?  Smiley

Listen, it's a giant chess book - you gotta find some way to sell some copies, right!?

Cry

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #293 - 01/08/15 at 03:45:45
Post Tools

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #292 - 01/08/15 at 03:02:08
Post Tools
Hope you enjoy the book, genuinely laughed out loud at your profile.  Grin

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #291 - 01/08/15 at 02:49:49
Post Tools
Thanks for your posts guys! It made up my mind to immediately click away to the online book shop and smash hit the order button!

Look forward to the book!!  Thanks!

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #290 - 01/06/15 at 22:19:31
Post Tools
I got my review copies! Tell you what, it's a good looking book!

Anyone notice the spelling error on the spine?  Shocked

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

Reply #289 - 01/04/15 at 02:24:18
Post Tools
slates wrote on 01/03/15 at 18:05:33:
Got my copy today. Only read the introduction so far and parts of the Anti Kalashnikov and c3 Sicilian chapters but I think it's really good. A hefty book with plenty of verbal content in addition to the analysis, looks to be just what I need.

Great to hear it - I hope that as you dig deeper you feel the same way! It's funny to hear that most people head straight towards the Anti-Sicilian chapters.

I'll make sure that the Portsmouth and all of White's very minor tries will be covered in an update down the road, and all those who are contributing analysis are credited.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #288 - 01/03/15 at 21:31:30
Post Tools
Well, black can't expect to win automatically after grabbing a pawn and stepping back with the knight..
But, maybe 5...d5 is the only way to take your chances and prevent a good and stable white pawns' center.

IP Logged

PANFR