Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Searching Chess Pub on Google (Read 17895 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Re-organizing the Chess Pub
Reply #12 - 04/29/10 at 17:27:13
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 04/29/10 at 11:49:18:
TalJechin wrote on 04/28/10 at 14:03:35:
Just replace the search function with google site search and people will find threads much easier no matter where they happened to have been posted once upon a time.

Who needs eco codes? Just use google's site search instead of the forum's pathetic search function.

http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=site%3Achesspub.com+%221.d4+d5+2.c4+c6+3.cxd...

http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=site%3Achesspub.com+1.d4+Nf6+c4+g6+Nc3+Bg7+e...

PS
shouldn't this be renamed to Organising the forum or something like that?
DS

Now there's an idea.  Thanks for pointing that out.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #11 - 04/29/10 at 14:20:39
Post Tools
As TalJechin says, the google site search will find anything you need on this forum, so as it stands I think the forum is fine - maybe advertise how to use the google site search for others, up until this year I didnt know about it and was hopeleessly floundering about trying to use the forum search engine.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #10 - 04/29/10 at 13:06:55
Post Tools
I can't do it right now, but I can split this topic and have a separate one on organizing the forum.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #9 - 04/29/10 at 11:49:18
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 04/28/10 at 14:03:35:
Just replace the search function with google site search and people will find threads much easier no matter where they happened to have been posted once upon a time.

Who needs eco codes? Just use google's site search instead of the forum's pathetic search function.

http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=site%3Achesspub.com+%221.d4+d5+2.c4+c6+3.cxd...

http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=site%3Achesspub.com+1.d4+Nf6+c4+g6+Nc3+Bg7+e...

PS
shouldn't this be renamed to Organising the forum or something like that?
DS

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #8 - 04/29/10 at 11:19:57
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 04/28/10 at 22:28:02:
Tony I dont really understand what you mean, but there are ways to "tag" stuff, but I'd say it is moer effort than it is worth.

When you write your post on the 'my little forum' software there is a box for 'Tags'. Whether we could get everyone to add the ECO code every time they posted is another matter!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 04/28/10 at 22:28:02
Post Tools
Tony I dont really understand what you mean, but there are ways to "tag" stuff, but I'd say it is moer effort than it is worth.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #6 - 04/28/10 at 21:44:27
Post Tools
I just had a thought: on the other Forum you can use 'tags', is it possible to tag posts according to ECO, say, and cross-reference them? Undecided

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 04/28/10 at 21:42:36
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/28/10 at 13:55:34:
I meant software thinking that perhaps software existed that would facilitate some sort of cross-classification of posts by sonething-or-other, in our case ECO code (or similar).

It's possible, I must admit to having next-to-no knowledge of the different types of Forum software, apart from YaBB (this one) and 'my little forum' which is used on the Improveyourchess.com site. Undecided
Any experts out there?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #4 - 04/28/10 at 17:43:28
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/28/10 at 13:55:34:
In some ways it goes to the purposes of the forum.  ... 

One solution would be a much more detailed topic list, that is true; I'm not sure what the downside of that would be. 

I won't discuss the suggestion that either there's BS or ECO-style classification.

One downside is that with more detailed classification, more topics will defy classification because they are too broad. Already, we have topics that bridge several sections and are being dumped in the general chess section. 

One way around this problem is to have subsections in the opening sections that are loosely based on broad ECO codes. For instance in the French, there can be a general French section, and sections on the Advanced, Exchange and rare French,
Tarrasch, Steinitz, Classical, and Winawer.

There should also be a section on French players in other openings.  This last subsection appears to be quite a popular theme regardless of opening.  For topics that bridge different French Openings, such as the Universal System or French Heroes, the general French section would still exist.

The posters here are mostly extremely capable analysts who won't be confused by where to enter their original post.  But such classification would require the moderators to actively monitor the threads.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #3 - 04/28/10 at 14:03:35
Post Tools

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/28/10 at 13:55:34
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/27/10 at 17:14:23:
Markovich wrote on 04/26/10 at 14:17:55:
Actually I don't think this particular forum structure is ideal for its purposes -- I understand it's easy and readily available.

Do you mean the Forum software (YaBB) or the division by ChessPublishing.com sections?
I imagine it would be relatively easy to change to a different software, although it would be annoying for everyone to have to get used to it!

I meant software thinking that perhaps software existed that would facilitate some sort of cross-classification of posts by sonething-or-other, in our case ECO code (or similar).  But I agree that even if such a thing existed, it would be both confusing and annoying at first.

In some ways it goes to the purposes of the forum.  If it's really just a lot of B.S., then it doesn't really matter if 27 threads exist asking how best to play against the French Tarrasch.  If however you want the forum to be a research resource, I think we need some sort of way to classify the threads better.  One solution would be a much more detailed topic list, that is true; I'm not sure what the downside of that would be.  You'd still have trouble with contributors here maintaining thread discipline; there's a certain tendency to post under the wrong heading already, and also a tendency for threads to wander off into "wrong" theory.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 04/27/10 at 17:14:23
Post Tools
Actually I don't think this particular forum structure is ideal for its purposes -- I understand it's easy and readily available.

Do you mean the Forum software (YaBB) or the division by ChessPublishing.com sections?
I imagine it would be relatively easy to change to a different software, although it would be annoying for everyone to have to get used to it!

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Searching Chess Pub on Google
04/26/10 at 20:31:08
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 04/26/10 at 14:44:56:
Fair enough, but you need to make allowance for the difficulty of finding threads on given subjects, which in my opinion is quite significant here.  I've spent a long time searching for threads that I knew existed, without much luck.  How much more difficult the search for a thread whose existence is uncertain?

Actually I don't think this particular forum structure is ideal for its purposes -- I understand it's easy and readily available.  So far as I know, nobody has written software suitable to a detailed classification of forum posts.  Or if they have, maybe someone reading this will be able to point it out.

Perhaps we moderators could take a more active role in organizing old threads and merging them?  It could be a massive undertaking, and I don't like adding to my own work load. 

But it would be nice to reduce the clutter.  For instance, in the general chess section,  I am tired of reading variations on "what can you recommend to help me improve with minimum effort" threads.

Me too.  But I wouldn't be willing to volunteer my time to sort out all those old threads.  That would be a labor fit for Hercules, and I doubt that even he could do it.  The Augean stables smelled better than a lot of those old threads.

Further I would not advise anyone to undertake such a task unless the structure of the site were to change to facilitate easier reference, e.g. by ECO code.  Why bother reorganizing when the same thing will happen again?
« Last Edit: 05/05/10 at 22:04:52 by GMTonyKosten »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo