Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Before asking for help with improvement.... (Read 26586 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Before asking for help with improvement....
Reply #11 - 09/11/17 at 07:52:48
Post Tools
phonological_loop wrote on 09/10/17 at 19:38:22:
would it be possible to identify a few of the best improvement threads and put them in original post of this thread?

If anyone can remember any particularly useful ones we can make them 'stick' to the top of the list of threads so they are always visible.

IP Logged

phonological_loop
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 09/10/17 at 19:38:22
Post Tools
Reiterating the suggestion of proustiskeen, would it be possible to identify a few of the best improvement threads and put them in original post of this thread?

I like to read about improvement, so any suggestions for such threads are welcome.

IP Logged

KestonyChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love Chess!

Reply #9 - 07/29/16 at 20:31:05
Post Tools
Learn opening by learning middlegames that arises after them, learn pawn structures and where the pieces should go with different pawn structures and understand the endgames!

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #8 - 07/15/16 at 21:27:01
Post Tools
Oh man, next April's Day we should create the 'ChessPub Forum moderator's Choose Your Favourite Question' poll, with the 'winning' thread topic getting stickied for posterity...

I'm expecting a close race between 'What opening should I play?' and 'What book(s) should I buy?'  Wink

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 07/15/16 at 16:29:25
Post Tools
Pingudon wrote on 07/15/16 at 15:29:11:
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 04/27/10 at 02:33:03:
Hi all!

Since 2003, chess publicans have been starting threads asking for chess improvement. 

PLEASE!
Read the previous threads before starting a new one on this topic. 

If possible, add your comment to an existing thread rather than add to tangled web of threads already floating about!

Thank you!
Smiley

FORUM: " a place or opportunity for discussing a subject"
I guess some questions may be silly, stupid or whatever but... isn't it what the FORUM is about? Are we trying to make a forum but with a minimum
of questions?

Think of it as quality control.

You started a thread this week asking for a book recommendation for a specific opening. Imagine what it would be like if we received the exact same request 5 times a week? - each time a new post, rather than someone looking at an existing post? Is the information written in the response likely to change or get better in each of those new threads?

Furthermore, anyone searching the internet for the same information may only stumble on the most recent of those threads which may contain less valuable contributions from forum members than the earlier threads as they get bored of answering the same question, from people too impatient to read existing threads. How does it benefit them?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Reply #6 - 07/15/16 at 15:29:11
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 04/27/10 at 02:33:03:
Hi all!

Since 2003, chess publicans have been starting threads asking for chess improvement. 

PLEASE!

If possible, add your comment to an existing thread rather than add to tangled web of threads already floating about!

Thank you!
Smiley

FORUM: " a place or opportunity for discussing a subject"
I guess some questions may be silly, stupid or whatever but... isn't it what the FORUM is about? Are we trying to make a forum but with a minimum
of questions?

GTalk  
IP Logged

kimyap
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/26/13 at 16:20:36
Post Tools
Chess is not only about the opening but it's the total strength of the player. Against d4, you can play anything you like as long as you are playing theoretically.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 12/31/11 at 05:41:27
Post Tools
There's a saying that you can know nothing about everything, a lot about something or everything about nothing.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/31/11 at 03:33:58
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 12/31/11 at 02:30:40:
But what should I play against 1.d4?  Every time I play 1...d5, I lose.  Then when I play 1...Nf6 I also lose.  I'm thinking about switching to 1...b6!, a move which I expect to remedy all my chess difficulties.  Advice, anyone?  And would someone please compile a complete bibliography of 1...b6 and post it here?

P.S. I would be happy to see any deep analysis of 1...b6 that anyone would care to share here, not that I could tell deep from shallow, or understand it very well in either case.

Sorry, the deep analysis (Rybka approved) of 1...b6 doesn't fit (11000 character limit). But perhaps you could just ask you opponents to play 1.e4

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #2 - 12/31/11 at 03:24:01
Post Tools
Maybe you should sticky the two or three best of these threads and refer all future requests to them?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/31/11 at 02:30:40
Post Tools
But what should I play against 1.d4?  Every time I play 1...d5, I lose.  Then when I play 1...Nf6 I also lose.  I'm thinking about switching to 1...b6!, a move which I expect to remedy all my chess difficulties.  Advice, anyone?  And would someone please compile a complete bibliography of 1...b6 and post it here?

P.S. I would be happy to see any deep analysis of 1...b6 that anyone would care to share here, not that I could tell deep from shallow, or understand it very well in either case.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Before asking for help with improvement....
04/27/10 at 02:33:03
Post Tools
Hi all!

PLEASE!

Thank you!
Smiley
« Last Edit: 04/27/10 at 20:45:27 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo