Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What to play against the closed sicilian? (Read 12488 times)
up and comer

Re: What to play against the closed sicilian?
Reply #9 - 03/29/17 at 02:25:05
Post Tools
TN wrote on 04/30/10 at 12:54:21:
Palliser sums up the issue of what to play on move 2 against the Closed, so I'll provide a summarized version of his suggestions here:

Najdorf: 2...a6 or 2...d6. 2...a6 better against Grand Prix.
Dragon: 2...Nc6 for Accelerated Dragon, otherwise 2...d6.
Classical: 2...Nc6 followed by 2...d6 for maximum flexibility.
Sveshnikov: 2...Nc6. 3.Nf3 e5 (solid) or 3...Nf6 (dynamic).
Taimanov: 2...e6 or 2...Nc6.
Kan: 2...e6 or 2...a6.
Scheveningen: 2...e6 3.Nf3 d6/Nc6 or 2...a6. Basically the Schevy moves in any given order.
Kalashnikov: 2...Nc6 3.Nf3 e5

As a Najdorf player, 2...a6 is probably the better option if you don't like the Grand Prix with Black committed to the slightly inflexible ...d6. Black's idea is to remain flexible, keeping all his options of development open while preparing the space-gaining ....b5; compare with the Kan Sicilian. A typical line of play is 3.f4 b5 4.Nf3 Bb7 5.d3 e6 6.g4 d5 7.Qe2 with chances for both sides in this complex position.

After 3.Nf3, a Najdorf player is best advised to play 3...d6, when 4.d4 is an Open Sicilian and 4.g3 is completely harmless because White has committed his knight to f3 before playing d4, and the g3 Najdorf is pretty toothless since White usually ends up playing a 6.h3 Najdorf a tempo down (after h3 and g3-g4).

Excellent post, this is just what I was looking for!

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Ivo
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 04/30/10 at 18:17:13
Post Tools
Ok thanks everybody. I have tried it a couple of times and so far I am quite satisfied with it. I think I should just try it out and see how it works. Thanks for your advise!

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #7 - 04/30/10 at 12:54:21
Post Tools
Palliser sums up the issue of what to play on move 2 against the Closed, so I'll provide a summarized version of his suggestions here:

Najdorf: 2...a6 or 2...d6. 2...a6 better against Grand Prix.
Dragon: 2...Nc6 for Accelerated Dragon, otherwise 2...d6.
Classical: 2...Nc6 followed by 2...d6 for maximum flexibility.
Sveshnikov: 2...Nc6. 3.Nf3 e5 (solid) or 3...Nf6 (dynamic).
Taimanov: 2...e6 or 2...Nc6.
Kan: 2...e6 or 2...a6.
Scheveningen: 2...e6 3.Nf3 d6/Nc6 or 2...a6. Basically the Schevy moves in any given order.
Kalashnikov: 2...Nc6 3.Nf3 e5

As a Najdorf player, 2...a6 is probably the better option if you don't like the Grand Prix with Black committed to the slightly inflexible ...d6. Black's idea is to remain flexible, keeping all his options of development open while preparing the space-gaining ....b5; compare with the Kan Sicilian. A typical line of play is 3.f4 b5 4.Nf3 Bb7 5.d3 e6 6.g4 d5 7.Qe2 with chances for both sides in this complex position.

After 3.Nf3, a Najdorf player is best advised to play 3...d6, when 4.d4 is an Open Sicilian and 4.g3 is completely harmless because White has committed his knight to f3 before playing d4, and the g3 Najdorf is pretty toothless since White usually ends up playing a 6.h3 Najdorf a tempo down (after h3 and g3-g4).

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #6 - 04/30/10 at 08:54:41
Post Tools
Yes I thought so myself: Smith-Morra with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.c3 Nf6 and no problem

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 04/29/10 at 22:56:52
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/29/10 at 18:11:38:
It depends a lot on what you play against the Open Sicilian.  White has the option of 3.Nf3, 4.d4, so you have to reply consistently with your repertoire.  Actually the same thing applies to the question of what is the "best" reply to the Smith-Morra.  Since White can enter the Smith-Morra via 2.Nf3, you have to have an antidote consistent with your usual path to the Open Sicilian.  There is no "best" reply, there is only best in context of some preferred way of playing the Open Sicilian.

Ivo already addressed this point, didn't he?

Ivo wrote on 04/28/10 at 19:39:23:
I play the Najdorf with black most often so is 2. ... a6 a good move?

Hence the recommendation 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 a6. What's more, the Morra transposition is simply met with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.c3?! Nf6. Finally 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3 Nf6 is more or less independent from 2.c3. Problem no de.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #4 - 04/29/10 at 18:24:27
Post Tools
[quote]Since White can enter the Smith-Morra via 2.Nf3, you have to have an antidote consistent with your usual path to the Open Sicilian.  [/quote]

Well exactly. And ditto with the Alapin -- why does the literature on c2-c3 never mention this?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/29/10 at 18:11:38
Post Tools
Ivo wrote on 04/28/10 at 19:39:23:
I have some questions about the closed sicilian, since I don't really know what to play against it. I have viewed several topics here and tried several moves ( 2. ... Nc6, 2. ... d6, 2. ... e6 etc. ) but none of them was really convincing. In another topic I read that you should play a move which won't bother your position if white decides to play Nf3 and d4. I play the Najdorf with black most often so is 2. ... a6 a good move? And if it is, can you explain how it should be played?

Thanks,

Ivo

It depends a lot on what you play against the Open Sicilian.  White has the option of 3.Nf3, 4.d4, so you have to reply consistently with your repertoire.  Actually the same thing applies to the question of what is the "best" reply to the Smith-Morra.  Since White can enter the Smith-Morra via 2.Nf3, you have to have an antidote consistent with your usual path to the Open Sicilian.  There is no "best" reply, there is only best in context of some preferred way of playing the Open Sicilian.

P.S. I'm not sure what you find unconvincing about 2...Nc6 and 2...e6.  Those are perfectly mainstream, fully adequate moves.  2...d6, search me.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #2 - 04/29/10 at 08:47:37
Post Tools
2. ... a6 is indeed an option. You can also just play 2. ... d6 and brave out the K-side attack (my usual cup of tea!). A 3rd option is to play 2. ... Nc6 and on 3. Nf3 switch to Accelerated Dragon (having avoided the Maroczy Bind - c4) or another Nc6 Sicilian variation..

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/28/10 at 19:46:24
Post Tools
yes play a6.  There is a page in The sharpest sicilian and in Richard Palliser's book on the anti siclians it is covered well
Zatara.

IP Logged

Ivo
YaBB Newbies

What to play against the closed sicilian?
04/28/10 at 19:39:23
Post Tools
I have some questions about the closed sicilian, since I don't really know what to play against it. I have viewed several topics here and tried several moves ( 2. ... Nc6, 2. ... d6, 2. ... e6 etc. ) but none of them was really convincing. In another topic I read that you should play a move which won't bother your position if white decides to play Nf3 and d4. I play the Najdorf with black most often so is 2. ... a6 a good move? And if it is, can you explain how it should be played?

Thanks,

Ivo

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo