Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C41: Bologan on Philidor (Read 63588 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: Bologan on Philidor
Reply #12 - 05/05/10 at 00:01:51
Post Tools
Ronen's ICC video lecture's are nothing more than impartial Opening Surveys with light notes.

If this new DVD by Bologan is anywhere near as good as his his Caro and Kid one's then it could be worth the investment if u like the DVD format. By the way the ubiquitous Andrew Martin also has a DVD out on this subject matter, but probably more aimed at the lower end of the market.

Now that I think about it Shirov also has a DVD out on the Philidor, which takes a broader look at the variation, for instance the Antoshin is analysed in depth. Curiously on the Shirov DVD he admits to having early problems facing this Philidor Hanham setup and revealed that he enquired of none other than his friend Bologan as to what was the most effective way to meet it. Wink

The Lion/Philidor/Hanham has been getting much press lately, but I wonder if anyone has noticed that the Antoshin Philidor is quite underrated, and particularly dangerous to White players blindly following what the theory books give as best. See the game Volokitin,A - Kobalia,M 2009, as further evidence that the Antoshin contains a lot more venom than at first meets the eye, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another mini revival of it in the near future by players other than Nisipeanu.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #11 - 05/04/10 at 21:44:39
Post Tools
Hi.

A tip for ICC-members who want to get a feel for the "Lion/Philidor" set-up before investing in the Bologan DVD is to check out GM Ronen Har-Zvi:s new video lecture series about "Philidor's defence". 

He is also now building on the follow-up series "A Philidor-like approach to 1.d4" which starts with 1.d4 d6.

Cheers / Anders

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #10 - 05/04/10 at 12:55:46
Post Tools
No, soory, DionTheGreek, I do not intend to buy (or "review") that DVD.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

DionTheGreek
YaBB Newbies

Chess is a life trainer

Reply #9 - 05/03/10 at 19:31:17
Post Tools
Tracke: Are you going to do one of your excellent reviews about that DVD?

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #8 - 05/03/10 at 07:54:31
Post Tools
Exactly! I meant a Philidor player who wants to play this from the Pirc move order although Nisipeanu has played 2...e5 and maybe anyone can work out a Vienna-King's Gambit repertoire with ...d6 here.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #7 - 05/02/10 at 23:39:07
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 05/02/10 at 22:47:29:
One major issue for a Pirc-Philidor player is how to react to 2.Nc3? After 1.e4 d6 2.Nc3 e5 3.f4 or 2...c5 3.f4 are sub-optimal lines for Black.

For Pirc/Modern players this is OK if they're well-prepared, since 1.e4 d6 2.Nc3 g6! 3.f4 Bg7 4.Bc4 c5! should be fullly playable if Black defends accurately against the Qe1-h4 and f4-f5 attack. While 4.Nf3 Nf6! enables 5.Bc4?! Nxe4 with at least equality. So White should change plans and play either 5.d3/6.Be2, 5.g3/6.Bg2 or 5.d4 from that position.

The point of delaying ...c5 until White's bishop is on c4 is to avoid the Bb5+! Bd7, Bc4 maneouvre that I think is White's best try for advantage in the regular Sicilian Grand Prix move order.

For Philidor players 2.Nc3 may be more of a problem. A tricky White player who happens to play the Austrian attack against the Pirc can also try to move-order the Philidor player with 1.e4 d6 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.f4, only going d2-d4 if Black commits to ...g6.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #6 - 05/02/10 at 22:47:29
Post Tools
One major issue for a Pirc-Philidor player is how to react to 2.Nc3? After 1.e4 d6 2.Nc3 e5 3.f4 or 2...c5 3.f4 are sub-optimal lines for Black.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 05/02/10 at 19:42:05
Post Tools
Anders wrote on 05/02/10 at 19:23:54:
There are more angles to that then MNB:s.

Sure, that's why I also wrote
MNb wrote on 04/30/10 at 21:01:19:
I am happy for them if others look forward to DVD's like this.

No, I do not intend to discuss the relative value of DVD's here. I just wanted to point out that at least one regular contributor found Kylemeister's remark funny, not patronizing. The latter perhaps could be reserved for incomplete quoting?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #4 - 05/02/10 at 19:23:54
Post Tools
Hi.

If God Members Kylemeister and MNb want to discuss the relative value of books versus DVD:s, then that is fine.    There are more angles to that then MNB:s “Of course I am old-fashioned, nothing more fun than plodding my way through a good old highly dense tome of 300+ pages. Then I know that after 2 years I still will find interesting ideas I had not noted before”.

I suggest however you do that in a separate thread in the “Other” section.

Replying to a fellow ChessPublishing member who want to share that a new DVD is out on a topic that interests him by

*  Not saying anything about the topic/author of the DVD (the topic of the thread)
*  Entering a single ironic  line about people buying DVD:s  instead of books

is not OK in my book.

Having said that – and as I am not the not the one who started this thread -  I will refrain from further comments regarding this.

Regards / Anders

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 04/30/10 at 21:01:19
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 04/30/10 at 17:07:47:
"In modern chess, it is important for club players to buy lots of thirty-dollar opening videos."

Funny.

I am happy for them if others look forward to DVD's like this, but I also question if it's useful. Of course I am old-fashioned, nothing more fun than plodding my way through a good old highly dense tome of 300+ pages. Then I know that after 2 years I still will find interesting ideas I had not noted before.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #2 - 04/30/10 at 20:43:10
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 04/30/10 at 17:07:47:
"In modern chess, it is important for club players to buy lots of thirty-dollar opening videos."

Patronizing.

I for one look forward to this DVD. 

Watching a first class grandmaster talk about an opening you play is fun.

Whether it is the best way of improving is a different story.

Regards / Anders

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/30/10 at 17:07:47
Post Tools

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

C41: Bologan on Philidor
04/30/10 at 16:30:59
Post Tools
The Fighting Philidor

by GM Viorel Bologan
, Chessbase-Fritztrainer-DVD, coming soon (may 2010), €27,50

"Nowadays the Philidor Defence is mostly played via the Pirc move order 1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 e5. Black is not afraid of the endgame after 4.dxe5. This is proved by the recommendations given in the DVD as well as by the serious amount of high level games played with the line. The author presents a full opening repertoire against 1.e4 covering also all possible side lines such as 3.Bd3, 3.f3 etc. In the main line he gives the reader the possibility to choose his own favourite plan according his tastes. In modern chess - full of information, games and analysis - it is important to have new ideas and fresh openings. The Philidor Defence DVD provides you with exactly that! Video running time: 5 hours"

http://www.chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=504

tracke  Smiley

PS: Though Bologan uses the Pirc move order I still think that Philidor belongs to 1e4 e5
« Last Edit: 07/19/11 at 13:54:43 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo