Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C41: Philidor 3...Be6 (Read 5488 times)
BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Philidor 3...Be6
Reply #7 - 05/21/10 at 20:48:50
Post Tools
I used to own the Philidor Files, and it is quite comprehensive, giving many approaches to this system.  The question is, is it better to begin with 1...e5 or 1...d6?  The book covers both sides of the coin, and Bauer seems to prefer the 1...d6 approach, seeing that 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 is strong for White.  But Black has plenty at his disposal, and I have heard some players rave over the possibilities in the Antoshin (3...exd 4. Nxd Nf6 5. Nc3 Be7).   It is a good book, and easy to understand.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #6 - 05/18/10 at 05:15:16
Post Tools
I've been getting sick of being "out-booked" on the black side of the mainstream e4 e5 openings lately, so I've been thinking of trying the Philidor, just for something different.

So I tried it against a lower rated player (1400ish) in skittles today, and she continued with 3. Bc4. Having just seen this thread earlier in the day, I decided to give the 3. ... Be6 line a try, and it worked out nicely for me. She traded bishops and played d3 - kinda what you'd expect from a player at that level. I ended up with a nice game, where I was able to play Nf6 and d5 soon after, eventually opening things up and winning on tactics.

This seems like one of those opening lines that's perfectly fine against lower rated opponents, but it might not be quite good enough against 1800+ opponents, who may actually find some of the theory mentioned above over the board, even if they've never seen it before. I'll have to try it some more and see.

On a semi-related note, if I am going to start playing the Philidor regularly, what book should I pick up for recent mainstream theory? I'm only 1700ish USCF, so I don't sit and read opening books cover to cover. But I do use them for reference when studying my own games, to compare my play to the grandmasters and see how I could have played better.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #5 - 05/15/10 at 19:48:40
Post Tools
Emms cited the same game, ending with the "compensation" sign after 9...c6 10. 0-0 Nxe4 11. Re1.  (The NCO convention was that that sign indicates approximate equality, rather than just some indeterminate amount of compensation.)

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #4 - 05/15/10 at 19:30:34
Post Tools
Blatny has (for ChessBase) commented the game Blatny - Barbero from 1985 where 6... Nf6 (!? Blatny) was played.

He gives 7.c3 an exclamationmark on the basis that 7.Nxe6 can be met by 7... Qe7.

The game continued with 7... e5 (forced according to Blatny) 8.Ne6 Qd7 9.Qb3 with complications.

White eventually won although it seem quite unclear to me after 9.Qb3.

/ A

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/10 at 18:18:42
Post Tools
NCO (Emms) thought Black should play 6...Nf6.

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #2 - 05/14/10 at 22:55:57
Post Tools
If I remember right 3...Be6 was advocated in one of the ICC gambit videos (Alterman).

Bauer on the other hand (in the Philidor files) gives it a ?! because of 4.Bxe6 fxe6 5.d4 (as indicated by Kylemeister) exd4 6.Nxd4 with the comment that white has easier play and may try to implement the plan f4-f5.

/A

Ps.
Took a look in the database also and it seems a manoeuvre which have scored well after 6... Qd7 (6... e5 7.Ne6 followed by Nxf8) is 7.Qh5+ followed by Qh3.   

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/14/10 at 21:46:21
Post Tools
Well, after 4. Bxe6 fe, d3 is the sort of move which would make me want to say to the person who played it, "You realize you are White, right?".

It's natural for White to play a quick d4; I think I've seen that given as leading to a sizeable advantage for White, but I notice that NCO thought it was okay for Black.

IP Logged

BirdBrain

I Love ChessPublishing!

C41: Philidor 3...Be6
05/14/10 at 20:18:31
Post Tools
I wonder if anyone else on here ever plays this variation.  I guess sometimes I get annoyed by allowing White a lot of possibilities, although I have been having fun recently with Bird's Defense when I see the Ruy Lopez. 

But I have tried 2...d6 a few times recently, and many players play 3. Bc4.  Does anyone else here play ...Be6?  After Bxe6 fxe6, I do like Black's position, and I get good traditional development opportunities for Black.  I played it a few times against an opponent on live chess on chess.com, and I was able, in the end, to get my central pawns down his throat.  I do like the ideas of this position...any takers?
http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=24627037

This idea might be a bit bland for those who like more fire!  But I like the pawn structure...
« Last Edit: 08/01/11 at 21:21:26 by Smyslov_Fan »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo