Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C20-C59: Beating 1.e4 e5 by Emms (Read 33697 times)
Arnaudov
YaBB Newbies

Magnus Carlsen has never
beaten me in a chess
game

Re: C20-C59: Beating 1.e4 e5 by Emms
Reply #46 - 01/15/12 at 22:03:24
Post Tools
I like the book and the repertoire. Despite the admitted lack of aggression of 2 Bc4 and 3 d3, the repertoire generally leads to  positions similar to a d3 Ruy Lopez -- in fewer moves, and therefore without having to deal with various and practiced Lopez defenses from Black or the gains of space Black often obtains in the Lopez. 

GM Emms presents White with two plans depending on how Black plays (page 10). Plan A “holds the centre, keeps things as blocked as possible and slowly builds up an attack on the kingside.”  This may not be what more aggressive 1 e4 players are looking for, but it certainly suits my style and I am very happy to play it.

Plan B (usually in response to a ...d5 advance) “exchanges pawns on d5, castles kingside, pressures Blacks centre and searches for dynamic piece play” - which plan I am also happy to play.  I have been winning following these plans, so the proof (for me at least) is in the pudding. 

The book should certainly find a niche for players like me who enjoy the solidity of the d3 positions, familiar positions and the general plans laid out by GM Emms.

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Beating 1.e4 e5 by Emms
Reply #45 - 11/27/11 at 15:03:13
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 05/21/10 at 08:06:13:
Given that John's the head editor at Everyman I'm sure he did have something to do with the title, but so what? There's more ways than one of beating 1...e5 and if the Italian's good enough for a number of 2600 players (and John) on a semi-regular basis I'm sure it's good enough for us.

As for Gary Lane having done books on the opening previously, I'm assuming you've never read of GL's books, then? The fact he's covered an opening recently is generally an argument for another book rather than against, I should have thought.

I have read some Gary Lane books and while they are a good introduction to an opening they do have a bias towards the opening being covered to the point that it seems to be the "be all and end all."

I looked at Emms' book recently and it does seem to have some meat to it, delaying castling on the White side and anticipating a K-side attack. The reality is that it is hard to find any 1. e4 e5 opening, if handled well by Black, that will give more than a small, lingering plus for White.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #44 - 12/29/10 at 21:04:38
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/29/10 at 17:18:27:
16...Bc8 17.Nf5 Bxf5 18.exf5 Nf8 can be met again with 19.Bxh6, but 17...exd4 looks better: 18.Bxh6 Bxf5 19.exf5 Rxe1+ 20.Nxe1 gxh6 21.Qxh6 (21.fxg6 Kg7) dxc3 22.bxc3 d5

Fllg wrote on 12/29/10 at 18:49:29:
Continuing with 23.fxg6 may lead to: Qg3 24.Kh1 Bxf2 25.Nf3 intending Ng5 with clear advantage.

You seem to be right. I relied on 24...Qxf2 but with 25.gxf7+ Kxf7 26.Bg6+ Kg8 27.Nd3 White develops a winning attack.
Adams missed a place in the hall of fame.  Cheesy

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 12/29/10 at 18:49:29
Post Tools
Emms does mention Adams-Kramnik and suggests indeed 17.Nf5 as an improvement without further analysis. Well, a book cannot answer every question. Wink

You may well be right that the complications lead to equality but looking at your line a) after 22.bxc3 d5 the position isn´t an instant draw. Continuing with 23.fxg6 may lead to:

a) 23... Qg3 24.Kh1 Bxf2 25.Nf3 intending Ng5 with clear advantage.
b) 23... fxg6 24.Qxg6+ and White is a pawn up which may not be much worth while the Black King also has no shelter anymore.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #42 - 12/29/10 at 17:18:27
Post Tools
The reason I asked is that White can avoid this with 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bc5 4.Nc3 and 5.f4. This leads ironically to the variation advocated in Emms' Bishop's Opening repertoire in "Attacking with 1.e4".

Does Emms mention Adams-Kramnik, Dortmund 1999?
16...Bc8 17.Nf5 Bxf5 18.exf5 Nf8 can be met again with 19.Bxh6, but 17...exd4 looks better:
a) 18.Bxh6 Bxf5 19.exf5 Rxe1+ 20.Nxe1 gxh6 21.Qxh6 (21.fxg6 Kg7) dxc3 22.bxc3 d5.
b) 18.cxd4 Bxf5 19.exf5 Ne7 20.Bxh6 gxh6 21.Qxh6 Ned5.
c) 18.N3xd4 c5 19.Nxg7 Kxg7 20.Bxh6+ Kh7.

In all three lines White has nothing more than a draw. This was to be expected as Black has as many pieces in the defence as White in the attack.
The course of the game Adams-Kramnik was very dull though.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 12/29/10 at 10:24:11
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/29/10 at 09:16:45:
Including the symmetrical 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bc5 4.Nf3 d6 ?

Yes, this is covered too. He analyzes the game Shaposhnikov-Lastin, Moscow 1999 and considers White to be slightly better after move 13. He also mentions Karjakin-Smeets, Nice (rapid) 2010 up to move 14 without giving an evaluation.

All in all Emms is very honest in his evaluations and doesn´t pretend Black isn´t able to equalize in this opening. Fortunately the equal positions are rarely dull and offer enough scope for interesting games.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 12/29/10 at 09:16:45
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 12/29/10 at 01:14:32:
and the coverage of the various possibilities (Black has a lot of them) is very complete.

Including the symmetrical 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bc5 4.Nf3 d6 ?

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #39 - 12/29/10 at 01:21:00
Post Tools
By the way:

kylemeister wrote on 05/19/10 at 20:42:49:
Offhand one might wonder what Emms' book has to say about the line in which he lost in 28 moves earlier this month ...

He does spend a page on this game (Emms-Collins), and suggests 13.Be3 as an improvement on his play, amongst other discussion.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #38 - 12/29/10 at 01:14:32
Post Tools
Stigma is correct. He has a couple of Italian plans, one in which White attempts to carry out the Nb1-d2-f1-g3 maneuver before castling and one in which he castles first. He indeed also covers the 4.d3 Two Knights, as well as pretty much all of Black's possibilities after 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 (he goes into the Italian via the Bishop's Opening move order to avoid the Petroff).

I like the book very much (I'm 1800 FWIW). I've been using it for my 1.e4 e5 repertoire the last few months, having "graduated" to it from, ironically, Emms' Bishop's Opening repertoire in "Attacking with 1 e4" (which is Nc3/f4-based, rather than c3/Nf3-based). His explanations are excellent and the coverage of the various possibilities (Black has a lot of them) is very complete. I just had a nice win last weekend over someone rated 150 points higher largely because I understood why his ...Bg4 was misguided and he didn't.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #37 - 12/29/10 at 00:29:49
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 12/29/10 at 00:21:10:
Main line against what? Emms tackles everything but the Ruy Lopez. Against the Italian Emms recommends 3...Nf6.

That would be Emms' older "Play the Open Games as Black".

The book under discussion here is "Beating 1.e4 e5", published this year, a repertoire for White built around the slow Italian with d3 and c3. Probably the 4.d3 Two Knights is covered too.

@Ender: If you want more details there's got to be an excerpt (with intro and contents) for download at the Everyman Chess homepage! This is true for all Everyman books in print and shortly upcoming. Have you looked at it before asking here?

Alias even took the trouble to link to the excerpt earlier in the thread.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #36 - 12/29/10 at 00:21:10
Post Tools
Main line against what? Emms tackles everything but the Ruy Lopez. Against the Italian Emms recommends 3...Nf6.

PS: I stand corrected in the next post.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Ender

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 12/28/10 at 19:39:52
Post Tools
Can someone tell what is the main line in this book? Is this the same line that on GM. Davies DVD on Italian?

2200. Amateur!

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #34 - 07/15/10 at 20:14:23
Post Tools
One could compare the quality of analysis and then I would prefer Emms.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #33 - 07/15/10 at 14:53:05
Post Tools
thibdb13 wrote on 07/15/10 at 10:57:19:
Compared to Pinski's books on the 2 Knights Defense and the Italian/Evans Gambit, how does Emms' book perform?

There is no comparison, Pinski's books are reference works while Emms' is a repertoire book.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

thibdb13
God Member

Tal was the best

Reply #32 - 07/15/10 at 10:57:19
Post Tools
Compared to Pinski's books on the 2 Knights Defense and the Italian/Evans Gambit, how does Emms' book perform?

Yusupov once said that “The problem with the Dutch Defence is that later in many positions the best move would be ...f5-f7” but he is surely wrong.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #31 - 07/14/10 at 17:39:47
Post Tools
I'll have to check the Kindermann disk; I downloaded the DVD into ISO files (using Roxio) so it's permanently on my laptop now.  I just got the Emms book and have spent about 2 hrs on just quickly playing through the first few chapters.  I spent last night watching the All-Star game and creating a new Chessbase database with the games from Emms' book by finding them in Mega Database and copying them into the new database so I can more quickly play through the games and, as time allows, I'll add his notations and my observations to the games (of course, Everyman could just have come out with an eBook and I wouldn't have to do all that!).  Copied the first 18 games from Emms last night and all were on my Mega Database except one (which I did manually; a few others were annotated by others).  Hope to finish before Saturday since I'll be travelling over the weekend and woud like to get a better feel for this opening by playing through the database while I'm on my long bus ride, as it is very solid, yet offers great chances.
« Last Edit: 07/14/10 at 21:07:52 by ChessMonkey »  

IP Logged

ruhroh

Reply #30 - 07/13/10 at 05:23:43
Post Tools
The theory from the Kindermann DVD is in a PGN file on the disk. Sorry.

IP Logged

ruhroh

Reply #29 - 07/10/10 at 16:33:42
Post Tools
I have just received this and spent a little time reading some of it, in particular the Classical Main Line. My conclusion is that Emms' book is ideally suited to go with Kindermann's DVD if you want to play this line.

Kindermann is superb at explaining various positional motifs and some move order finesses, but lacks higher-level organization and the theory is difficult to extract (bring your notebook and DVD remote). Emms is very good on the higher-level organization, broad plans and so forth, and the theory is easily accessible.  Also, the theory is essentially identical, so they are both consistent interpretations. Both are well executed.

I am very happy with the combination.

IP Logged

ruhroh

Reply #28 - 06/22/10 at 16:24:25
Post Tools
ChessMonkey wrote on 06/22/10 at 13:50:06:
I've been a Ruy Lopez player for decades, but decided to try something else vs. 1...e5 and recently got the Kindermann DVD.  Although there are some production issues with it as you mentioned (and it has no associated PGN database), I've generally found it useful and have been playing the lines with good success.  Pardon my ignorance, what is the "peer variation" you mentioned and which Collins DVD is being referenced here (is it really worth it if I have Kindermann and get Emms book when it becomes available in the U.S.)?

No, it's not worth getting if you have Kindermann and Emms (judging by the preview - I haven't got it yet). Collins' DVD is a Chessbase 1.e4 Repertoire and the Italian part is tiny in comparison with Kindermann. But I got Collins first and I don't regret it.

By peer variation I mean the Two Knights entry sequence where Black doesn't transpose with 4...Bc5 but plays 4...Be7 instead. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 Be7. Collins recommends and examines 6.a4 with Adams-Onischuk, Tilburg Fontys 1997 as a model. Emms seems to take a different path.

I can't remember where I heard about it, if indeed I did, but I have a dim memory that Kindermann has more material coming, which would be very welcome. What he has done with this DVD is quite unique in my experience and very helpful to patzers like me.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #27 - 06/22/10 at 13:50:06
Post Tools
ruhroh wrote on 05/24/10 at 15:33:02:
I have both Kindermann's and Collins' DVDs and I like them both alot. Kindermann's is clearly the most didactic with much more lesson-based material and a full DVD on the lines, but I found Collins' presentation (of the Giuoco) to be very, very instructive in so far as it goes - the best part of his DVD. Also, Collins has material on the Two Knights "peer" variation which is not part of Kindermann's scope.

I've been a Ruy Lopez player for decades, but decided to try something else vs. 1...e5 and recently got the Kindermann DVD.  Although there are some production issues with it as you mentioned (and it has no associated PGN database), I've generally found it useful and have been playing the lines with good success.  Pardon my ignorance, what is the "peer variation" you mentioned and which Collins DVD is being referenced here (is it really worth it if I have Kindermann and get Emms book when it becomes available in the U.S.)?

IP Logged

Straggler

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 06/19/10 at 21:06:33
Post Tools
This book appears to be out now, at least in the UK. Does anyone who has seen it have any comments? For example (as kylemeister has already mentioned), it would be interesting to know what the book has to say about the line 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bc5 5.c3 a6 6.Bb3 Ba7 7.0-0 d6 8.Re1 Ng4, in which Emms got horribly mauled last month. Indeed his opponent's attack seems almost to have played itself. Emms presumably regarded his 9.Re2 as an improvement on 9.d4, which had also allowed Black a vicious attack in Langer-Chen, US Open 2009 (though White managed to survive the attack and win).

IP Logged

ruhroh

Reply #25 - 05/24/10 at 15:33:02
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 05/22/10 at 11:09:41:
For any stronger club players who want to take up this line, I can recommend the DVD by Kindermann, which I found much more instructive than the one by Collins.

I have both Kindermann's and Collins' DVDs and I like them both alot. Kindermann's is clearly the most didactic with much more lesson-based material and a full DVD on the lines, but I found Collins' presentation (of the Giuoco) to be very, very instructive in so far as it goes - the best part of his DVD. Also, Collins has material on the Two Knights "peer" variation which is not part of Kindermann's scope.

Mine is the perspective of a weaker player. Collins' comparison of White's versus Black's d-pawn breaks, for example, really helped me assess the positions. And his explanation of move order nuances was clearer IMHO. This is probably not as valuable to a stronger player.

It's very encouraging to see material with the scope and didactic approach of Kindermann's DVD come to market though. I don't think I've seen anything to compare with it and I would welcome lots more. It is very well conceived and executed (production quality aside).

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #24 - 05/24/10 at 06:44:23
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 05/24/10 at 01:22:43:
The idea was that your answer would show that the strong/stronger player argument is not terribly relevant. It did.

really? I though it showed quite the opposite:

I said the Italian was dangerous in the hands of a strong player (Velimirovic is a strong player)

and (contra Willempie) that the strong player didn't have to be much stronger than his opponents in order for the Italian to be dangerous (as you noted, Velimirovic wasn't much stronger than his opponents)

cheers Smiley

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #23 - 05/24/10 at 01:22:43
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 05/23/10 at 18:04:24:
MNb wrote on 05/22/10 at 16:30:40:
Then is/was Velimirovic a strong or a much stronger player? Against 4 players of average about 2500 plus Planinec he scored 5/5 as White.

is that a serious question?

obviously he's a strong player; and equally obviously he's not much stronger than players rated 2500

It was a half serious question. The idea was that your answer would show that the strong/stronger player argument is not terribly relevant. It did.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #22 - 05/23/10 at 18:04:24
Post Tools
Then is/was Velimirovic a strong or a much stronger player? Against 4 players of average about 2500 plus Planinec he scored 5/5 as White.

is that a serious question?

obviously he's a strong player; and equally obviously he's not much stronger than players rated 2500

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #21 - 05/23/10 at 15:36:30
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 05/23/10 at 15:10:14:
a few games against decent opposition will quickly force you to look elsewhere (1st hand experience Wink).

I only needed two as White. Wink

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #20 - 05/23/10 at 15:10:14
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 05/23/10 at 13:40:25:
That tells us zero about Velimirovic and the meaning of strong and much stronger in relation to him playing a goofy opening. Not that I think the Giuoco Pianissimo (c3 and d3) a goofy opening. It's just that arguments like these don't impress me too much.

Simply put: you can win with whatever opening you play. It is just that with some openings those chances are increased. So yes you can win with the Giuoco piannissimo with c3 and the odds of getting run over by a better black are also not high, but the line is quite boring and a few games against decent opposition will quickly force you to look elsewhere (1st hand experience Wink). Not because the opening is bad, but because it isnt asking black too many questions. Unless you like very quiet positions (or are a stockholder of coffee companies) you shouldnt bother with these lines.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #19 - 05/23/10 at 13:40:25
Post Tools
That tells us zero about Velimirovic and the meaning of strong and much stronger in relation to him playing a goofy opening. Not that I think the Giuoco Pianissimo (c3 and d3) a goofy opening. It's just that arguments like these don't impress me too much.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #18 - 05/23/10 at 11:51:10
Post Tools

At the Euwe matches Anne Haast tried this agaisnt Dennis de Vreugt, with 0/2

Lane also got creamed by Malaniuk with this line this year.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #17 - 05/22/10 at 16:30:40
Post Tools

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #16 - 05/22/10 at 15:01:49
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 05/22/10 at 09:41:57:
Jonathan Tait wrote on 05/22/10 at 06:22:56:
...you're trying to defend the black side of it against a strong player

That is true even if he starts with 1.a3.

a strong player not a much stronger player

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #15 - 05/22/10 at 11:09:41
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 05/20/10 at 09:46:22:
The title seems as misleading as his "attacking with 1.e4". I am sure the book will be good analysis-wise, but the bishop and Italian (probably with d3) are hardly threatening to a black player, unless he can't afford coffee to stay awake.

The Italian with c3 and d3 is a sound opening with plenty of scope for outplaying the opponent. There are many GMs who like to play it, since it often leads to "Spanish-like" play, whilst avoiding having to book up on loads of Ruy Lopez theory. Specialists tend to score well with it.

Admittedly this is not a very good choice for weaker club players seeking to improve, who would benefit from playing something more open and direct, with less quiet manoeuvring, as we have discussed many times in this forum.

For any stronger club players who want to take up this line, I can recommend the DVD by Kindermann, which I found much more instructive than the one by Collins.
« Last Edit: 05/22/10 at 15:09:11 by Paddy »  

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #14 - 05/22/10 at 09:41:57
Post Tools
Jonathan Tait wrote on 05/22/10 at 06:22:56:
the bishop and Italian (probably with d3) are hardly threatening to a black player, unless

That is true even if he starts with 1.a3.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #13 - 05/22/10 at 06:22:56
Post Tools
the bishop and Italian (probably with d3) are hardly threatening to a black player, unless

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 05/21/10 at 08:06:13
Post Tools
Given that John's the head editor at Everyman I'm sure he did have something to do with the title, but so what? There's more ways than one of beating 1...e5 and if the Italian's good enough for a number of 2600 players (and John) on a semi-regular basis I'm sure it's good enough for us.

As for Gary Lane having done books on the opening previously, I'm assuming you've never read of GL's books, then? The fact he's covered an opening recently is generally an argument for another book rather than against, I should have thought.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #11 - 05/21/10 at 07:55:57
Post Tools
I am not worrying about the quality at all. I just dont see the wisdom of the marketing department in the naming and subject matter.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #10 - 05/20/10 at 21:33:38
Post Tools
The title seems as misleading as his "attacking with 1.e4". I am sure the book will be good analysis-wise, but the bishop and Italian (probably with d3) are hardly threatening to a black player, unless he can't afford coffee to stay awake.

Not probably, definitely.

I am also thinking that Gary Lane has already done two repertoire books covering essentially this material, and Sam (aka Mr. Haitch) Collins a DVD featuring it.

Nevertheless Emms is a fairly diligent analyst an author so I expect this latest work to be of a reasonably high quality.

Regarding the book's misleading title, could be that Emms had nothing to do with that.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #9 - 05/20/10 at 09:46:22
Post Tools

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 05/20/10 at 02:13:39
Post Tools
Oh, equal play can be very inspiring. But I don't think the Karjakin-Smeets game belongs to that kind.
Of course there are people who enjoy 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.d3 as well. I like a bit more tension.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #7 - 05/20/10 at 02:09:46
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 05/19/10 at 20:06:31:
Like Karjakin-Smeets, Amber 2010, you mean? Not that inspiring.

If you only find books that prove a white edge against everything inspiring, your library must be quite small. White can't do this against any solid Ruy system either.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 05/19/10 at 20:42:49
Post Tools
Offhand one might wonder what Emms' book has to say about the line in which he lost in 28 moves earlier this month ...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 05/19/10 at 20:06:31
Post Tools
Like Karjakin-Smeets, Amber 2010, you mean? Not that inspiring.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #4 - 05/19/10 at 12:46:52
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 05/19/10 at 09:57:08:
I am curious what Emms will recommend against the symmetrical 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bc5 4.Nf3 d6 5.c3 c6.

I'd be fairly certain it's something to the tune of 6. 0-0 0-0 7. h3 h6 8. Nbd2 Nbd7 9. Bb3 Bb6 10. Re1 Re8 11. d4, in some order of moves.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/19/10 at 10:58:37
Post Tools
Anders wrote on 05/19/10 at 08:42:49:
There is a promise of 2 free updates on the website which is useful.

"
FREE UPDATES

Within the first 12 months of publication, 2 free updates of this book will be available for download here, completely free of charge.
"

/ A

Ps.
I think Kindermann have recently made a DVD that covers the Italian game from a White perspective.

Interesting... perhaps the future of chess books? After the book is pusblished the reader get 1 or 2 updates to prolong the theoretical value of the book?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 05/19/10 at 09:57:08
Post Tools
I am curious what Emms will recommend against the symmetrical 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.d3 Bc5 4.Nf3 d6 5.c3 c6.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #1 - 05/19/10 at 08:42:49
Post Tools
There is a promise of 2 free updates on the website which is useful.

"
FREE UPDATES

Within the first 12 months of publication, 2 free updates of this book will be available for download here, completely free of charge.
"

/ A

Ps.
I think Kindermann have recently made a DVD that covers the Italian game from a White perspective.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

C20-C59: Beating 1.e4 e5 by Emms
05/19/10 at 06:35:16
Post Tools
New book on Everyman in June. Haven't seen it discussed here. Content, intro and extract at http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Beating_1e4_e5%3A_A_repertoire_for_Whit...

Bishop's opening and Italian game. A practical choice. Tiviakov had an article in a NiC yb a few issues back.
« Last Edit: 11/27/11 at 15:37:57 by Smyslov_Fan »  

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo