Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What are the best books on the KID? (Read 4696 times)
dimis
Ex Member

Re: What are the best books on the KID?
Reply #8 - 05/21/10 at 10:16:16
Post Tools
A book that help me to understand the king's indian is the Tactics in the King's Indian.

IP Logged

up and comer

Reply #7 - 05/20/10 at 17:45:20
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 05/20/10 at 11:26:21:
Quote:
Also I'm not interested in playing the slav.

If you're happy vs the Panov and play Bb4 there, then I'd suggest the Nimzo Indian, as it can easily transpose or become very similar in the lines where black plays ...d5.

For the KID, you could try to memorize just a few very good games in the mainlines, and then just play chess. Black tends to play roughly the same moves in most closed variations. But vs the 4P you'll need to get concrete, so study 9...Re8 regularly.

I actually don't play the Bb4 line normally  Smiley, but you are right they are similar. I like the KID because it feels right to me, and gives me a game I can play with. Also, I don't enjoy facing it as white, so studying it seemed the right thing to do. The Nimzo might be a good back-up opening if someone had been studying my games or knew what I normally played (more likely) and I wanted to surprise them.

Thanks for the advice, if there are other books you would suggest, by all means do so. Or DVD's though I've never used one to learn chess before.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 05/20/10 at 17:18:43
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/20/10 at 14:01:16:
P.S. There's an important hole in the Bologan DVD on the 4 pawns: after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f4 0-0 6.Nf3 Na6 7.Bd3 Bg4 he fails to mention 8.Be3! as recommended by Semkov (Kill K.I.D) and Moskalenko. A possible solution for Black was offered by derdua right here on ChessPub:
http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1270968020

Another serious omission is 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.h3 since in the chapter about h3-systems he only covers 5.h3 Nbd7 6.Nf3 avoiding early castling.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 05/20/10 at 14:59:00
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 05/20/10 at 14:52:25:
I corrected the number of Psakhis books and you corrected the Golubev title. 1-1.  Smiley

It's a draw alright!  Smiley

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/10 at 14:52:25
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/20/10 at 14:01:16:
That should be Golubev: Understanding the King's Indian.

It's useful to look at as many sources as possible, but you probably want to minimize the theoretical workload as far as possible at first. I recommend starting with Bologan's DVD, and maybe using Dangerous Weapons: The King's Indian for interesting alternatives against the Classical (Nbd7-based), Fianchetto (4...c5!?), Four Pawns (6...e5), 5.Bd3, and 5.Nge2.

That's what I've been doing as I'm trying to take up the King's Indian for the first time, even though I have most of the books Alias mentioned (I'm also considering 6...c5 with 9...Re8 in the 4 pawns, and the Fianchetto Grünfeld switch, but those are much more theoretical systems).

And of course, there's been an endless stream of quality King's Indian analysis on ChessPublishing, from Gallagher to Mikhalevski to Golubev!

P.S. There's an important hole in the Bologan DVD on the 4 pawns: after 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f4 0-0 6.Nf3 Na6 7.Bd3 Bg4 he fails to mention 8.Be3! as recommended by Semkov (Kill K.I.D) and Moskalenko. A possible solution for Black was offered by derdua right here on ChessPub:

You're right. 'Understanding' is the correct title. I was probably also thinking about the old "Mastering..." series. I haven't seen the Bellin/Ponzetto book though. I expect it to be good.

I corrected the number of Psakhis books and you corrected the Golubev title. 1-1.  Smiley

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #3 - 05/20/10 at 14:01:16
Post Tools
That should be Golubev: Understanding the King's Indian.

It's useful to look at as many sources as possible, but you probably want to minimize the theoretical workload as far as possible at first. I recommend starting with Bologan's DVD, and maybe using Dangerous Weapons: The King's Indian for interesting alternatives against the Classical (Nbd7-based), Fianchetto (4...c5!?), Four Pawns (6...e5), 5.Bd3, and 5.Nge2.

That's what I've been doing as I'm trying to take up the King's Indian for the first time, even though I have most of the books Alias mentioned (I'm also considering 6...c5 with 9...Re8 in the 4 pawns, and the Fianchetto Grünfeld switch, but those are much more theoretical systems).

And of course, there's been an endless stream of quality King's Indian analysis on ChessPublishing, from Gallagher to Mikhalevski to Golubev!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/10 at 11:35:59
Post Tools
Gallagher: "Starting Out - The King's Indian" is a good overview.

More thorough works:
Gallagher: "Play The King's Indian"
Golubev: "Mastering The King's indian"
Bologan: "The King's Indian" (book)
Bologan: "The King's Indian" (DVD with different content)

Based on you text, I would think that the Starting Out-book is good for you. You could also have a look at Soltis: "Pawn Structure Chess".

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #1 - 05/20/10 at 11:26:21
Post Tools
Quote:
Also I'm not interested in playing the slav.

If you're happy vs the Panov and play Bb4 there, then I'd suggest the Nimzo Indian, as it can easily transpose or become very similar in the lines where black plays ...d5.

For the KID, you could try to memorize just a few very good games in the mainlines, and then just play chess. Black tends to play roughly the same moves in most closed variations. But vs the 4P you'll need to get concrete, so study 9...Re8 regularly.

IP Logged

up and comer

What are the best books on the KID?
05/20/10 at 11:06:19
Post Tools
Here is my situation. Against e4 I am solid with the caro-kann. Have been scoring well with it, been playing it for years, and know how to play most variations. My response to d4 has not been nearly so set in stone. I chose the KID around 2 years ago to be my main response a few months before a tournament. I read through about half of Secrets of the King's Indian, and ended up doing well in the tournament with it, all wins if I recall correctly. The problem is I haven't played that much chess between that tournament and now, and don't remember much of what I read. I know I had liked to play the e5, Nc6 line and I remember you need to play c5, e6 vs the four pawn attack. Other than that I don't remember really anything, and have been winging it mostly... not a great solution to an opening this theoretical. I was lucky that in the last tournament I played in (my first tournament since two years ago) I faced 2 straight e4 openings, and the colle system.

I'm looking to fix this weakness, and would like to hear what books you think are the best for the different variations of the KID. Also I'm not interested in playing the slav.

uscf - 2250

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo