Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll Question: What should a French Defense player play against 1 d4?

« Last Modified by: Anonymous3 on: 05/27/10 at 23:10:28 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What should a French player play against 1 d4? (Read 21964 times)
Metalworker
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: What should a French player play against 1 d4?
Reply #29 - 06/21/10 at 19:31:22
Post Tools
Uhlmann played mostly KID, I believe. Also a fair amounth of Gruenfeld.

Nimzo-Indian is perhaps the most similar, especially if one plays the winawer. Complementing it with the Ragozin QGD instead of Bogo/QID is also an option.

Of course, one should play whatever one feels most comfortable with.

IP Logged

Ianis
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 06/18/10 at 23:37:08
Post Tools
Hello everyone Wink 

Against 1.d4 , i found the most similar positions to the French is when you play  the Queen's Indian  and the QGD Tartakower defence personnally  .

As a French player , i never play the Rubinstein and Winawer though  , first one often  leads to simplifications too early and second one is quite tactical and i almost always prefer White in the winawer   .

So i get to play the French often in closed or semi-open games , much more strategical than tactical  , like systems with 3.Be7 or lines like McCutcheon , classical French after White plays 3.e5  etc .    

But ok ,  French players knows that White is very often  playing against our king and Black playing against White's weaknesses on the 1st and 2nd rank while trying to undermine or dominate  the center   . This is what you generally also face quite often  in the Queen's Indian 

Tartakower defence of the QGD  is close also , because of the pawn structure f7-e6-d5 supported by Bb7 trying to come to life and with  less space than white   . I would also say  that a French player should always be prepared to play endgames very well and outplay White in that part of the game  ,  and this is in my opinion  also true in the Tartakower-Makougonov-Bondaresvky system  in the Queen's gambit declined  .

But of course the French defence also has  sharper and more  tactical lines  and in such cases , other openings system against 1.d4 could be considered as closer  , like for instance the Modern Benoni which i got to play quite often for some reasons but recently switched to the Nimzo and QI systems

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 06/04/10 at 06:04:51
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fun,
In chess you may play what ever you like. What I wrote it was my personal opinion. Ulhman was a KID expert, so 1..e6 was not his taste, but any way 1..e6 may transpose in every opening you like , but not to Slav,KID,Grunfeld and Benko.
It depends on what you like, in OTB games I have played also the crazy looking 1.d4 Nh6,2.e4 g6 

Have a nice day!!!

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #26 - 06/02/10 at 21:14:52
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 06/01/10 at 18:52:56:
True French players play 1.d4 d6 2.Nf3 Bg4, to get rid of the bad bishop, followed by e6 and a later d5.

There is no such thing as a bad bishop in the French.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #25 - 06/02/10 at 21:11:38
Post Tools
STEFANOS wrote on 06/02/10 at 18:39:46:
Against 1.d4 only e6...

Boy, why didn't I think of that?  

Of course, that presupposes that Botvinnik was 100% right about 20% of the time because he played 1...e6 in only about 1/5 of his games against 1.d4.  And the rest of the great players who played the French?  They are all embarrassingly idiotic. Uhlmann, for instance, played 1...e6 in less than 1/50 of his games!

What were these fish thinking???

Embarrassed

IP Logged

STEFANOS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 06/02/10 at 18:39:46
Post Tools
Against 1.d4 only e6, after 2.c4 of Nf3 f5 going for Stonewall or Classsical Dutch. If you do not  like Dutch on  2.c4 Nf6 is very good keeping all the options open. if then 3.Nf3 you may play 3...d5 entering QGD since now the exchange variation lost lot of its venom since Knight is allready on f3.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #23 - 06/02/10 at 18:12:05
Post Tools
I'm a bit surprised not to have seen anyone recommend Tarrasch's opening against 1.d4. It has some similar pawn structures and an interesting pedigree.   

I used to play the QGD Orthodox as Black, but that really felt like a zombie opening because I was brain-dead by move 10.  (Ok, to be fair, I got nice quiet games and was able to squeeze out a bunch of points in the endgame with the QGD.) 

The Slav has really sharpened my game and helped to make me a better French player.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #22 - 06/02/10 at 18:07:40
Post Tools
Larsen could be hysterical! Of course, it's important to remember what Smith used to play against 1...c5.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #21 - 06/02/10 at 12:49:35
Post Tools
Zombieland...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #20 - 06/02/10 at 11:32:03
Post Tools
1.d4! White avoids the dreaded French and plays for the win!

On the other hand:

1.e4 e6? "1...c5 would have won a pawn." - Bent Larsen, commenting on the game Ken Smith - Mario Campos Lopez, San Antonio 1972.

Stefan Buecker wrote on 06/02/10 at 02:25:45:
I was just joking. French players are a very mixed crowd nowadays, so the bad bishop could well be the only defining moment of the movement. - In the past, e6 players used to be the anxious, harmless variety of club players. Then John Watson wrote his "Play the French", suddenly the said harmless player mutated into a dangerous zombie playing for the full point.

Actually that versatility is part of the attraction of the French. Depending on mood and opponent I can be safe and solid or dangerous zombie, and after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 they still don't know which it will be today.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #19 - 06/02/10 at 10:12:16
Post Tools
Oh dear. They avoided our French Defense with 1.d4. Now we're going to lose. 

I voted for Other. 1...Resigns.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 06/02/10 at 09:49:10
Post Tools
I guess the alternative to getting rid of the bad bishop is to let it live a bit by playing the QID/appropriate Nimzo lines Smiley

Or just set out to make it really suffer with d5/e6/c6/a6/b5 etc Wink

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #17 - 06/02/10 at 02:25:45
Post Tools
I was just joking. French players are a very mixed crowd nowadays, so the bad bishop could well be the only defining moment of the movement. - In the past, e6 players used to be the anxious, harmless variety of club players. Then John Watson wrote his "Play the French", suddenly the said harmless player mutated into a dangerous zombie playing for the full point. Very funny. Combine it with the Grünfeld, the Benoni, the Leningrad? Yes, of course, makes a lot of sense.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #16 - 06/02/10 at 00:54:44
Post Tools
[quote]Stefan Buecker wrote on Yesterday at 19:52:

True French players play 1.d4 d6 2.Nf3 Bg4, to get rid of the bad bishop, followed by e6 and a later d5. [/quote]

Last time I looked, I thought 3 e4 Nf6 4 Nc3 e6 5 h3 Bh5 6 Qe2 was looking a bit better for White, albeit hugely messy. Do you think this is reliable for Black, Stefan, and if so what do you think is Black's best line?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #15 - 06/02/10 at 00:15:56
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 06/01/10 at 22:57:35:
The French is -0.01 weaker, says my PC.

And as I have learned from Anonymous3 the PC is more to be trusted than a herd of GM's.

motörhead wrote on 06/01/10 at 22:07:42:
Oh, oh Stefan, das ist aber eine mutige Stellungnahme.

You think Fassbinder's Lola a drama and not a comedy, do you?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo