Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trompowsky Study Guide (Read 16515 times)
Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Trompowsky Study Guide
Reply #13 - 10/03/10 at 19:26:34
Post Tools
Thanks! I was thinking of something like that.

YIM  
IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 10/03/10 at 16:55:02
Post Tools
Er, 3. Bxf6 and 4. e3 would be usual.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #11 - 10/03/10 at 16:48:44
Post Tools
Recently I played the Trompowky for only the second time in my life. The first time was back in 1994! Anyhow, my question is about the following line:

1 d4 Nf6 2 Bg5 g6

Here I played 3 Qd2 and, after a lot of attacking, mistakes and complications, the game was drawn around move 64. My question is whether 3 Bf6 ef6
4 e4 is better?

YIM  
IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #10 - 08/04/10 at 03:27:50
Post Tools
I was wondering, what is the current status of the 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 Ne4 3.Bf4 Nc6 4.f3 e5 pawn sacrifice? This could be a good surprise weapon for Black since compared to the Fajarowicz White has played the loosening f3, and Black will gain a tempo on the f4-bishop with 5.de5 Nc5 and 6...Ne6.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 08/03/10 at 18:15:00
Post Tools
Quote:
Reply #2 - 06/03/10 at 15:28:17   I don't have Peter Wells book and look for that for years 

My copy is available through vanstockum.nl.
Don't know what the mail would cost, though.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #8 - 07/18/10 at 22:21:11
Post Tools
Quote:
Does anybody know if Palliser's Starting Out book is worth getting? I have heard good things about it, but am unsure how much it adds if one already follows Prié's work here.

Yes, Palliser's book is excellent, as all of his books are. I don't often buy books in the Starting Out series, but made an exception for this one. Inevitably, it covers a lot of the same ground as done here on ChessPub. Theres not as much detail in the absolutely main lines in comparison with Prie, but is understandable given the nature of the book. It is still very detailed though and all the critical lines are covered. I have no doubts you could start playing the Tromp just by studying this book alone.

(Incidentally, I also think Houska's Starting Out - The Scandinavian is far more detailed and advanced than most in this series and really stands out.)

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #7 - 07/18/10 at 21:15:37
Post Tools
Winning with the Trompowsky and ChessPublishing are the essential sources, I agree. I've also been able to pick up a few useful ideas here on the forum. I also return now and then to Gallagher's 1998 work because he focused so heavily on Hodgson's many brilliant Tromp games  Smiley

Does anybody know if Palliser's Starting Out book is worth getting? I have heard good things about it, but am unsure how much it adds if one already follows Prié's work here.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #6 - 07/18/10 at 18:46:02
Post Tools
Winning with the Trompowsky is, in my opinion, the book to have on this opening. Sure, some of the variations will need updating as it is several years old now, but the explanations behind the moves and Wells' intelligent comments on the opening in general are well worth reading.

Wells recommends two distinct repertoires in this book - a positional one and an aggressive one. Having said that, the ideological lines between the two repertoires are often blurred. In any case, in doing this he covers nearly all main branches after 2...Ne4. Against some other replies 2...d5 2...e6 and 2...g6 he does not give a choice and sticks to a pure Tromp repertoire.

Of course, the best, most up to date analysis on the Tromp can be found right here at ChessPub, courtesy of Mr Prie. Smiley

IP Logged

DionTheGreek
YaBB Newbies

Chess is a life trainer

Reply #5 - 06/04/10 at 17:10:48
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 06/04/10 at 15:51:22:
Don't know what "the repertoire" means here,

TN wrote on 06/03/10 at 06:15:38:
You have two options.

2. Study the resources you currently possess on the Trompowsky plus learn the repertoire in 'Winning with the Trompowsky' by Peter Wells

Personally, I find very refreshing the positions arise from the Trompowsky and I want to spend some serious time to one non-mainstream opening since i don't play chess for living but only to relief daily stress.

Regarding my online journey is just for the spotlights Tongue

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/10 at 15:51:22
Post Tools
Don't know what "the repertoire" means here, though I seem to recall that the book has some suggestions of the sort "line A might go well with line C, or line B with line D."

OT, I find this thread rather striking:  A-player prepared to get over a half-dozen videos and books on one sort-of-non-mainstream opening (so as to avoid "theory"), in search of "easy online wins."  It seems to be an epitome of something.   

IP Logged

DionTheGreek
YaBB Newbies

Chess is a life trainer

Reply #3 - 06/04/10 at 14:59:58
Post Tools
Can anyone tell me how to find the repertoire in 'Winning with the Trompowsky' by Peter Wells.

IP Logged

DionTheGreek
YaBB Newbies

Chess is a life trainer

Reply #2 - 06/03/10 at 14:28:17
Post Tools
I don't have Peter Wells book and look for that for years  Sad

So, Hodgon is the authority:)

Can you rely on Trompowsky for a long term reliable opening?

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 06/03/10 at 06:15:38
Post Tools
You have two options.

1. Play through all of Hodgson's games with the Trompowsky. If they are annotated, even better. Then start playing the opening.

2. Study the resources you currently possess on the Trompowsky plus learn the repertoire in 'Winning with the Trompowsky' by Peter Wells and read 'The Trompowsky' by Nigel Davies. Then play the opening.

No. 1 is easier and faster, but no.2 will be better for your chess in the long term. Of course you can start with 1 and then use Wells and Davies as a reference guide after you play a Tromp game, combining 1 and 2 quite nicely.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

DionTheGreek
YaBB Newbies

Chess is a life trainer

Trompowsky Study Guide
06/03/10 at 04:12:34
Post Tools
Hello everyone.

As white my repertoire almost always start with 1.d4 & 2.Nf3 and follow primary the recommendations of (The Ultimate Colle by Gary Lane & A Killer Chess Opening Repertoire by Aaron Summerscale).

These lines got me to 1951 uscf but I no longer play otb and spend most of my time online.

I want to learn how to play the trompowsky opening because it seems that is very unbalanced and doesn’t look that have much theory to get started and get me going on easy online wins.

I do have the easy way DVD by martin and the latest book by Davies.

Do I need to get the following Foxy Dvd’s
Main Line Trompowski by GM Julian Hodgson
My Success with the Trompowski by GM Julian Hodgson
Trompowski by GM James Plaskett
Trompowski-Pseudo by IM Gary Lane

Or any idea how to get started?

What is your opinion about that opening? Do you have any other sources to rely>?

Thank you for your response in advance.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo