Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Budapest Gambit Theory (Read 6493 times)
RivertonKnight

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Budapest Gambit Theory
Reply #4 - 06/17/10 at 21:19:10
Post Tools
You should take the Tarrasch suggestion, because you will be switching out the Budapest after 1 d4, 2 Nf3  or 1 Nf3 2 d4 or 1 c4 route might be troublesome Smiley

IP Logged

H-HH

Reply #3 - 06/17/10 at 20:22:53
Post Tools
@kylemeister : I think he also thinks switiching too often is "ridiculous", for he said that is a common problem with his game. But it's better to search for something you like than to accept openings that you feel unconfortable with.
I have switiched back and forth between NID/QGD(against 3...Nf3), slav, grunfeld and KID before settling with QGA ( I hope) because it was the first defence in which I feel at home, and always knew that I shouldn't switch so much as I did. Embarrassed

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #2 - 06/06/10 at 01:46:52
Post Tools
Just a hunch, but I bet you would like the Tarrasch defense.  Give it a try before the Budapest, at least.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 06/05/10 at 22:19:30
Post Tools
I suppose you've heard this before, but taking up a new defense every few months is ridiculous.

You may know that Timothy Taylor came out with a Budapest book recently.  As for the ...g5 stuff, I recall a Yearbook article on it not too long ago by Moskalenko (don't know how much overlap there was with his book).

IP Logged

vasilicus
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Budapest Gambit Theory
06/05/10 at 21:07:41
Post Tools
Hi, I am an ex-scholastic player looking for something to play against d4.  This is a common problem in my game - I keep switching openings against the Queen's Gambit.  In the last two years I have switched from the Grunfeld to the Nimzo-Indian to the Slav to the Queen's Gambit Declined to the Chigorin's Defence and now to the Budapest Gambit.  Each of those openings had some aspect of it that I didn't like... either I found that it was too difficult to play for a win against lower-rated players or there were certain lines that led to position with which I was not comfortable (especially in the Chigorin's). 

I am attempting to build my Budapest repertoire in the traditional lines, with ...g5 against the Rubinstein and Nec6 against the Alekhine's.  The problem is that I can not find any good sources of theory.  I have two books, one by Otto Borik and the other by Victor Mosalenko.  Both of them give a good introduction and quite a few sample games, but the problem is that the games go all over the place.  There are some base positions for each of the variations but then not much in the way of actual theory thereafter.  And with some variations, such as 4. Qd4/d5 (which I have seen a few times) there is no theory at all given, just a condemnation. 

What are some good books to buy on the Budapest Gambit?  What is a good source of theory, especially for the ...g5 Rubinstein?  What else should I know about the opening?

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo