Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) GM Repertoire KID! (Read 83109 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: GM Repertoire KID!
Reply #67 - 01/25/12 at 00:48:13
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/24/12 at 23:40:15:
As an aside, I think I saw some source (Ward's book?) argue that lines with ...Nbd7 like the Byrne system make more sense against 6.Nge2, since White would often have liked to answer ...Nbd7 with Nh3.

I think I read that argument somewhere in the 80's, when Kasparov made ...c5 against the Sämisch popular. But it could be that I read it in a comment on some Benoni.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #66 - 01/24/12 at 23:40:15
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 01/24/12 at 20:57:14:
Houdini loves the sac ...c5 line for Black! "It" even proposes as satisactory moves that in the past were considered better for White. And Black avoids some drawing lines! I don't like ...e5 because it is not playable after 6.Nge2 or 6.Bg5, but the ...c5 lines produce similar positions, so it is easy to play those with similar ideas.

I wouldn't hesitate to play ...c5 against 6.Bg5 and 6.Nge2, but something else against 6.Be3 if I felt that combination gave me the most winning chances and/or interesting games. But which line that would be exactly against 6.Be3 is more of a problem.

As an aside, I think I saw some source (Ward's book?) argue that lines with ...Nbd7 like the Byrne system make more sense against 6.Nge2, since White would often have liked to answer ...Nbd7 with Nh3.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #65 - 01/24/12 at 21:21:30
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 01/24/12 at 20:57:14:
Houdini loves the sac ...c5 line for Black! "It" even proposes as satisactory moves that in the past were considered better for White. And Black avoids some drawing lines! I don't like ...e5 because it is not playable after 6.Nge2 or 6.Bg5, but the ...c5 lines produce similar positions, so it is easy to play those with similar ideas.

I have a hard time playing the sac against lower-rated players who grab the pawn. The pressure is then placed on Black to justify the sacrifice and I am just not good at doing it. I can't use Houdini during a game, unfortunately.  Sad

I have no doubt the ...c5 sac is objectively good, maybe best, but it doesn't fit me or my purposes well.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #64 - 01/24/12 at 21:10:06
Post Tools
I played the King's Indian for almost my entire tournament career before switching to the Grünfeld, and I felt the King's Indian was all or nothing type of opening. In many main lines, if the kingside counterplay fails, then the position ends up as += or a winning endgame for White. Also, when you win especially against the main lines you win in dramatically convincing fashion with a kingside attack. If you lose, you lose in a horrible fashion, usually in a positionally worse position that can be difficult to watch. Maybe I must have misplayed the King's Indian too much, but I would buy Κοτρωνιασ's books and attempt to play it again. The last few tournaments when I played King's Indian, I beat a 2450 and lost to a 2000. The former was due to a successful kingside attack, and the latter due to an unsuccessful kingside attack. King's Indian seems to be a very stressful opening, but I suppose an enjoyable one as well.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #63 - 01/24/12 at 20:57:14
Post Tools

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #62 - 01/24/12 at 20:35:41
Post Tools
Is it too much to hope for 6...e5 against the Saemisch?

I've never been totally satisfied with either the ...c5 gambit lines or the Panno against 5.f3.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #61 - 01/24/12 at 16:11:34
Post Tools
Returning to the subject of the GM Rep book i want to say that i just noticed that Jacob has said in the QC blog that this project will be materialized in 2013. Also, i'd like to add that i had the impression that Jacob said that it is going to be 3 volumes but he was talking about Polgar's books (on another subject) and not Kotronias', so again it is not that i know something, i am just guessing. And to return to a discussion a few posts earlier i'd much rather have 3 or 4 volumes on the KID to work on. The thing with the KID is that it is a weapon for a life time. You can add around it things like the Benko, or even the Grunfeld but if you have a strong KID repertoire then you are a fearsome opponent. And what i like about Kotronias' aproach to chess (you can learn more about that from his recent "GM Battle manual book") is his stick to challenging chess, main lines always and deep analysis.

Let's hope that he'll solve all problems that Black is facing right now in the 9.Ne1 line (both on the Nd3+Bd2 line and in the Be3+Rc1 system). I like much more talking about concrete lines like them, than discussing about 960 chess! Grin

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #60 - 01/24/12 at 09:40:27
Post Tools
They have people who attempt to memorise π to more than 100 digits or so, so I am sure there are people who would not mind attempting to memorise opening theory for all 960 Fischer Random positions so they can be prepared at will...

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 01/24/12 at 09:36:03
Post Tools
Surely the memory cost of that would be totally overwhelming?

Not that I'm at all sure that losing opening theory would actually be a good thing. Although I do also like all sorts of chess variants too Smiley

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #58 - 01/24/12 at 06:07:55
Post Tools
But in Fischer Random, there are a finite (960) number of positions. Perhaps someday there will be people who prepare opening theory for each 960 starting positions. Then they will arrive at the board knowing what to play against all 960, whichever position that arises at random. Of course it could be possible, but I wonder who would actually do that.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #57 - 01/24/12 at 05:13:52
Post Tools
People are attracted to different parts of the game; it's always been like that. I find the middle parts (middlegame and strategic endgames) more fascinating because calculation and pattern recognition are more interesting, "mysterious" processes in the mind than the raw memorization that takes place in many openings and technical endgames. Cramming is hard and boring work; if I'm going to do that I'd rather learn something about the real world. There are countless fascinating subjects out there, enough for many lifetimes!

At least it will take much longer for Fischer Random to develop anywhere near the same level of opening theory as chess. And specific pre-game preparation would all but vanish if you don't know before the game starts which starting position will be played.

I thought draughts was solved by computers decades ago, but maybe it depends on the type/board size?

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #56 - 01/24/12 at 04:55:03
Post Tools
What if someone designs a computer for all 960 positions in Fischer Random then? Opening preparation for all 960 positions past move 10. There already is opening theory for bughouse and crazyhouse; every game will have some sort of theory.

And I enjoy opening preparation with opening books. It is like revising and then attending an examination in university and incorporating one's own understand with that of an expert on a particular subject to demonstrate one's understanding as a combination of the two, based on lectures, textbook, homework problems etc. just like opening books in chess. If I wanted to play a game where no preparation is needed, I could play draughts (although draughts probably already has opening theory of its own as well).

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #55 - 01/24/12 at 04:36:36
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 01/23/12 at 10:25:44:
Stigma wrote on 01/23/12 at 01:59:09:
Do people really make a point of buying and reading ALL these books?

What's wrong with that? Studying is actually enjoyable, you know.
And who says that studying all the stuff actually means slavishly following all recommendations?

Stigma wrote on 01/23/12 at 02:13:59:
Don't you miss the excitement of searching for and putting together your very own repertoire from databases, favorite players, various opening books, yearbooks, ChessPublishing, this forum, working out lines with a board and/or engines, etc.?

And why should working your way through all the GM Repertoire stuff prevent you from doing that as well?

To me the answer to these are obvious: I have only one lifetime and there's more to life than chess.

I can only guess that some people are able to go through these gigantic opening books, remember most of what they've read AND form an independent opinion of every line 10 times faster than I would have been able to.

And again, even if I could absorb all of this material  in a reasonable time, I'm not sure I'd want to. Anything that makes chess more like robotically repeating someone else's work is a step in the wrong direction. The point of the game for me is the fight and the creative problem solving at the board (and secondarily in training).

Maybe I should just take up a game that is a bit farther from being taken over by machines... Chess960, anyone?!

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 01/24/12 at 03:30:19
Post Tools
saubhikr wrote on 01/24/12 at 02:41:46:
I strongly feel 3 volume will give a great opportunity to the author to go to the depth in complex positions without being worried by page limits. Bologan's book hardly had much explanation - mostly variations. Vigorito's 2 volume was also not too far behind. If you compare this with the depth of explanation in Sadler's QGD book, you will realize how much could have been said. KID is a very rich opening and a lot can be explained there and this will mostly benefit the lower rated players.

I vote for 3 volume book!

You should keep in mind that if at the outset 3 volumes are planned in the end we get more likely 6-9 volumes (or to set a new record 15 volumes).

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #53 - 01/24/12 at 02:41:46
Post Tools
I strongly feel 3 volume will give a great opportunity to the author to go to the depth in complex positions without being worried by page limits. Bologan's book hardly had much explanation - mostly variations. Vigorito's 2 volume was also not too far behind. If you compare this with the depth of explanation in Sadler's QGD book, you will realize how much could have been said. KID is a very rich opening and a lot can be explained there and this will mostly benefit the lower rated players.

I vote for 3 volume book!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo