Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) GM Repertoire KID! (Read 82936 times)
Chazy
YaBB Newbies

Nothing is what it seems!

Re: GM Repertoire KID!
Reply #22 - 01/27/11 at 11:15:11
Post Tools
TN wrote on 01/26/11 at 23:02:14:
Jay wrote on 01/26/11 at 19:59:42:
I am conflicted on the whole QualityChess books.  Don't get me wrong; they are fantastic, but I have to be honest:  They would be better if I could get them in CBV.  It is just so much easier to play through on a computer than book/actual chess set.  I emailed Aagaard on this, and they have no intention of producing anything chessbase compatible unless chessbase does something about its lack of security.  It is simply too easy to share on various peer to peer networks.  I would love to trade my GM Repertoire I and II for an ebook version, but it will not happen at least in the foreseable future.  Even so I will probably buy both paperbacks, but I would prefer them in ebook.

My solution to this problem was simple: I entered all the lines into my computer. I didn't bother including the explanatory prose, and sometimes didn't include any annotation symbols. Yes, it takes time, but you can't expect to master a GM Repertoire in five hours.

Alternatively you can only enter the bolded moves, since the Introduction states that GMs tend to only memorise the bolded moves and use the variations as explanations.

Or you can just copy the whole book yourself and make an e-book version of it, like I did! Cheesy

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #21 - 01/26/11 at 23:02:14
Post Tools
Jay wrote on 01/26/11 at 19:59:42:
I am conflicted on the whole QualityChess books.  Don't get me wrong; they are fantastic, but I have to be honest:  They would be better if I could get them in CBV.  It is just so much easier to play through on a computer than book/actual chess set.  I emailed Aagaard on this, and they have no intention of producing anything chessbase compatible unless chessbase does something about its lack of security.  It is simply too easy to share on various peer to peer networks.  I would love to trade my GM Repertoire I and II for an ebook version, but it will not happen at least in the foreseable future.  Even so I will probably buy both paperbacks, but I would prefer them in ebook.

My solution to this problem was simple: I entered all the lines into my computer. I didn't bother including the explanatory prose, and sometimes didn't include any annotation symbols. Yes, it takes time, but you can't expect to master a GM Repertoire in five hours.

Alternatively you can only enter the bolded moves, since the Introduction states that GMs tend to only memorise the bolded moves and use the variations as explanations.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Jay

Reply #20 - 01/26/11 at 19:59:42
Post Tools

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #19 - 10/06/10 at 11:42:27
Post Tools
XChess1971 wrote on 10/06/10 at 11:31:12:
Alias wrote on 09/28/10 at 10:59:35:
I think there were a few chapters on Nbd7 in the KID DW book.

What is KID DW book?

KID = King's indian defence
DW = dangerous weapons, a series of books by Everyman

http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Dangerous_Weapons%3A_The_King%27s_India...

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

XChess1971

Born with a Dragon Book!

Reply #18 - 10/06/10 at 11:31:12
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 09/28/10 at 10:59:35:

What is KID DW book?

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #17 - 09/28/10 at 10:59:35
Post Tools

IP Logged

spagh3tti

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 09/28/10 at 01:35:16
Post Tools
Well, I'm just a 2100 player so perhaps it's not my place to judge wether the Nbd7 lines are objectively inferior or not.
Still, it's interesting to notice that, if I'm not miscounting, out of 58 times where he's faced 5. Nf3 0-0 6. Be2 e5 7. 0-0 between 1986 and 2010 the same Kotronias has played the Nbd7 systems 29 times. A round 50% thoroughout his carreer.
If, as you say, his secret files are a Most Wanted DOA, they might be just as interesting on Nbd7 lines as they are on Nc6 lines.
Am I pushing a lost cause here?! Undecided

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #15 - 09/27/10 at 17:10:48
Post Tools
I dont' really think that Kotronias is going to cover the Nbd7 lines because he has much more to say in the Nc6 lines and also because the Nbd7 lines are indeed inferior! White has a great possition if he knows one or two things the great masters of the past knew and tha't why the Nbd7 lines were dismissed. Now that the secrets of the past are well forgotten these lines have an undeservly come back!

I think that you haven't realised yet how big news this book brings. Many of you don't know Kotronias or you have simply hear him as an "average" 2600 player. According to Short (and everyone else that knows who Kotronias is) he is much much better analyst than a player. His ideas, level of preparation and chess understanding are legendary in Greece. No one would ever expect to see Kotronias' "secret files" especialy on the KID! An opening he plays all of his life and have thought to many GM's.

IP Logged

spagh3tti

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/27/10 at 01:32:55
Post Tools
I really hope he's gonna cover the ...Nbd7 lines against the Classical, and that's for three reasons: 1) They are seeing a new dawn thanx to the Nh5/Bf8 regrouping, it would b a shame to miss out on that especially since 2) both Bologan and Vigorito already cover the ...Nc6 lines, we dont need yet another book on that. And 3) most importantly, at least to me, that's what I've always wanted to play!
I confess I quit playing the kid precisely because I hated the ...Nc6 lines and at the time the ...Nbd7 lines were regarded as simply inferior. I would love so much to b able to go back to my first and true love  Roll Eyes
Well, since I'm at it, I'd also like to have the classical ..e5/...c6 against the saemish covered. That's what I used to play and it would also make a nice complement since Bologan covers the gambit and Vigorito the Panno.
And of course the classical ...Nbd7/...e5 against fianchetto too, which incidentally was what Kaspy used to play.
So, Kotronias, if you're listening, be a good sport and make a brother happy  Smiley

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #13 - 09/16/10 at 19:12:47
Post Tools
Us KID players are truly spoiled.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #12 - 09/16/10 at 19:01:22
Post Tools
WOW!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #11 - 09/16/10 at 07:24:38
Post Tools

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/24/10 at 13:24:48
Post Tools
Quick question for Aagaard:

Will the book, assuming it will be published, cover secondary options for Black in several lines (like Marin), or only give one recommendation for Black in almost every line (like Avrukh)?

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #9 - 06/24/10 at 12:25:27
Post Tools
this will be my last post here, as I do not want to hijack the thread. The King's Indian was kind of a first love for me, but then as I progressed I moved on to the more solid (but counterpunching) Slav and Semi-Slav complexes. One thing I like about both of these openings is they're both relatively move order-proff, unlike openings like the Nimzo (1.Nf3; 1.c4).

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #8 - 06/24/10 at 07:23:25
Post Tools
Aagaard has mentioned a 2 volume work on Quality Chess a few times.

Vigorito's books are for Everyman. http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Attacking_Chess%3A_The_King%27s_Indian%...

It's rather interesting that the three books in the Everyman "Attacking chess" series (Najdorf, French, KID) are for black.

I rather like the KID. I hope that we'll see it more in top level games as a change to the slav/semi-slav dominance. (I wonder what fluffy say about this as he has written about slav, semi-slav and now will work on the KID.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo