Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) GM Repertoire KID! (Read 73528 times)
TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: GM Repertoire KID!
Reply #97 - 04/15/15 at 17:39:49
Post Tools
The King's Indian, just like any other reasonable defense to anything, will not be refuted.

Wink

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 04/15/15 at 17:30:30
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 04/15/15 at 17:08:43:
Does not - so far there's two volumes on the MDP and one on the Fianchetto. I'm not sure QC ever guaranteed Kotronias would cover everything, but the remaining Classical lines and the Samisch are the most obvious things to hit next.

Grin

So is it safe to say Vladimir Kramnik did not refute the King's Indian?

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #95 - 04/15/15 at 17:08:43
Post Tools
Does not - so far there's two volumes on the MDP and one on the Fianchetto. I'm not sure QC ever guaranteed Kotronias would cover everything, but the remaining Classical lines and the Samisch are the most obvious things to hit next.

Grin

IP Logged

HagenWatch1

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #94 - 04/15/15 at 17:05:17
Post Tools
Excuse me for being late the party on the GM series on the KID...but can anybody tell me if this 3 volume series covers the Samisch Variation? Or is that a volume to be named later?

IP Logged

yolocounty

Yes, I push wood, why
do you ask?

Reply #93 - 01/22/15 at 22:33:53
Post Tools
The online excerpts were so wonderful that it is hard to resist these books, but I haven't managed to successfully get through (much less) internalize Vigorito successfully yet, so I have to say I'm of the opinion that Kotronias will be over my 2100ish head.

The analysis of the Bd2 and Qc2 Classical in the excerpt on the Classical main line is amazing, and impressive.  I've had exactly one opportunity to play ...Nxe4 in the Mar Del Plata in a standard time control game (my opponent resigned on the spot so I didn't get to play the followup), so it's nice to see another line where that sort of thing is available.

IP Logged

snakebite

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #92 - 01/21/15 at 09:45:35
Post Tools
Looks like only a few weeks until a two volume series on the mainline classical is released. I'm secretly hoping for ...e5 versus the Saemisch - since the Panno and ...c5 have been covered in recent repertoire books - time will tell!!

IP Logged

MarinFan

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #91 - 08/09/13 at 09:44:06
Post Tools
Most KingsIndian players are familar with the "Zurich 53" type positions. So will be a useful resource to check concrete analysis. Over the years the opinion developed that these lines were inferior, expressed in books like Wojo's weapons. Although found it strange that players like Kasparov stuck with the line, and didn't change to using the Nc6 line.

There is a similar situation in the saemisch line, in that the established best is now c5 approaches, but Kasparov kept playing the old school e5 lines. So maybe thats another myth that will be tackled in future books in series.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #90 - 07/31/13 at 13:04:50
Post Tools
Go and read the introduction to the online excerpt Smiley He's very honest about it. I quoted one bit a little above.

IP Logged

Bogojump

Chesspub

Reply #89 - 07/31/13 at 12:09:03
Post Tools
Oh gosh! 720 pages! Very impressive but I think I am lazy enough to stick to the Kavalek system. I will probably buy the book anyhow...but I doubt I am capable of absorbing it.

How do you absorb such material ? Any advice ?

"You must lead your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2 + 2 = 5 and
  where the path back out is only broad enough for one of you." (((Mikhail Tal)))

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 07/28/13 at 08:28:52
Post Tools
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the lines themselves are bad, or indeed anything likely to be other than good.

As for the effort/editing, well..... You know all those stories about authors talking about writing a good short story being much harder than a medium length one? Very true for chess books nowadays too I suspect Smiley

Lets suppose that they set out to produce a complete survey of the Fianchetto KID in this sort of length of book. Quite a feasible effort I suspect. It would however take an awful lot more work than even this book. You'd be doing roughly the same amount of work as required for this book for every single chapter, but then having to throw much of it away, organise it etc etc.

Like I said, they clearly like doing books like this and you like it too so there you go Smiley

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #87 - 07/28/13 at 01:33:35
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 07/27/13 at 20:23:43:
Ah, but the MGP books are very readable even if you don't actually try and understand the analysis at a serious level. Not sure how well that carries over to opening books.
(Although it often does to a fair extent anyway.).

I own several GM Prep opening books. 

I will be blunt; there is no poor quality of the content in any of the books I own, and from what I see, there is no sign at all that more content is less quality.

KID is no exception.  In fact, the more quantity, the more I can sense for KID, in GM Prep series, that much more effort has been exerted.   The editors in GM Prep are very good at editing and probing to check poor lines or suggestions never leave their printshop.

That has been MY experience with their books.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 07/27/13 at 20:23:43
Post Tools
Ah, but the MGP books are very readable even if you don't actually try and understand the analysis at a serious level. Not sure how well that carries over to opening books.
(Although it often does to a fair extent anyway.).

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #85 - 07/27/13 at 15:26:20
Post Tools
For sure a lot know and to analyse - but in the end, with all the books to come, it will be several thousand pages.

Nigel Short said at the London Chess Classics that a lot of people have Kasparov's books on the predeccesors but he thinks it's just to have them in the book shelf and be proud of them. He doubts that the average chess players really reads them because they have an intimitating amount of analyses.

Now Kontronias may follow his predecessor Garry...

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #84 - 07/27/13 at 11:39:36
Post Tools
gewgaw wrote on 07/27/13 at 09:39:57:
720 pages for the fianchetto line?? - This is a sign for quantity, but not quality.

And that comment is a sign of ignorance, but not of KID experience.
There is a lot of stuff to know.
I look forward to receiving the text.
Better to judge a book upon reading it, not before.

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #83 - 07/27/13 at 09:39:57
Post Tools
720 pages for the fianchetto line?? - This is a sign for quantity, but not quality.

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo