Latest Updates:
Normal Topic General KID beginner questions (Read 1788 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: General KID beginner questions
Reply #1 - 06/26/10 at 18:17:29
Post Tools
Answer Question 1: 13.Rb1 looks like a waiting move that does very little to me. To solve the mystery of such moves one often has to look backwards, that is, determine why other more direct attacking 13th moves for white have been rejected in favor of such a prophylactic move. Research using a good database should prove useful in answering your question further. The same reasoning should be applied to determine why 13.c5 is considered ok for black, however I will give u a hint: See black 15th move (namely 15...d5!) in the game Grischuk vs Radjabov 2009 which was only made possible due to white 13th move choice of c5. To understand contemporary theory you have to know the history of how the lines developed, no small task. 

Answer Question 2: You are incorrect. The Bd3, Nge2 line is not about preventing counterplay against d4, quite the opposite, Black often targets this square to get his counterplay going. Black has many ways to secure adequate counterplay in these lines, and would advise to check the games of M. Roeder as black for example. Also consult a good repertoire book for guidance and or a good database.

Answer Question 3: No, there is no theoretical best, 19....Rc7 leads to a drawish ending by force, while 19...Bd7 gives an unclear position with chances to fight for the full point. Depends on the tournament situation and whether a draw is satisfactory or you are in a must win situation.

Conclusion: A beginner need not become bogged down with such questions at this stage, just focus on getting a feel for the various middlegame attacking positions in practical play and over time a better grasp of the finer points of the opening will become more apparent. Rote learning of book lines will not be enough to help you play the KID well.

Regards,

Toppy Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

JhF

I Love ChessPublishing!

General KID beginner questions
06/26/10 at 06:30:55
Post Tools
I have bunched together a few questions I have thought of and cannot find an answer to either in the KID section or in any book. Hopefully someone who is a little more adversed in the KID can answer them for me quite simply.

1)

The Bayonett Attack
9.b4 Nh5 10.Re1 f5 11.Ng5 Nf6:

12.f3 Kh8 and now 13.Ne6 is the mainline. My simple question is why 13.Rb1 and 13.c5 are considered fine for black.

2)

Here is a deviation from the mainlines that I come across frequently which I do not quite understand.

In the above position white playes h3 or Nge2 as to prevent blacks counterplay against the d4 square (Bg4). Against simply Bd3 and Nf3 there follows Bg4, Nc6, Nd7 to put pressure on the d4 square but when white prevents Bg4 altogether I am finding it hard to find a suitable plan.

Related to this qustion is the question of why black sometimes playes ..a5, ..Na6 after white has played d5 but sometimes he omitts ..a5 and playes simply ..Na6 immediately. For example:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.d5 and here 7..a5

While after5.h3 0-0 6.Nf3 e5 7.d5 Na6

This last variation against h3 was recommended in Gallaghers starting out book. Is it a good approach for black or is there something stronger?

3)
In the mainline 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5 7.0-0 Nc6 8.d5 Ne7 9.Ne1 Nd7 10.Nd3 f5 11.Bd2 Nf6 12.f3 f4 13.c5 g5 14.Rc1 Ng6 15.cxd6 cxd6 15.Nb5 Rf7 16.Qc2 Ne8 17.a4 h4 18.Nf2 Bf8 19.Nxa7

Black has a choice of either entering and endgame with 20..Rc7 21.Ba4 Rxc2 22.Bxe8 Rxe2 23.Nxc8 Rxa4 24.Nd3 g4 etc. which according to Gallagher in his starting out book is roughly equal.

Or black can try to punish white for his queenside greed with for example 22..Bd7 23.Nb5 Rg7 24.h3 Nh4 25.Qb3 Kh8

Gallagher gives no preference in his book therefore I would like to ask if there is a theoretically best for black.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo