I don't have a smartphone    
  16 (41.0%)
I will get a smartphone    
  4 (10.3%)

Total votes: 39
« Created by: GMTonyKosten on: 07/26/10 at 12:46:08 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Smartphones and chess Apps (Read 31517 times)
adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Re: Smartphones and chess Apps
Reply #24 - 08/04/10 at 00:25:42
Post Tools
@Smyslov_Fan,

I am not sure if I can call you by your real name here.

Anyway, we might get IM Watson soon through ChessPub. We are nearing reaching an agreement with Tony.

Why don't you write for us?

Regards,
Andy

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #23 - 08/03/10 at 22:57:23
Post Tools
Andy! You got Andy Rea to help out! Fantastic! Any other Colorado connections there?

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #22 - 08/03/10 at 17:30:49
Post Tools
@Sagwa,

We intend to release a Puzzle Pack every week using TWIC weekly updates as source games. Every puzzle piece will be new to you every week.

Andy Rea (Author: Chess on the Ledge) and Kelly Atkins work exclusively on the Puzzle Packs alone.

We also have the license to Chess Cafe Puzzle 1, 2 and 3 by GM Karsten Muller.

Regards,
Andres

IP Logged

sagwa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 08/03/10 at 11:43:21
Post Tools
I woULD be interested in the chess puzzles for iPad

Sagwa

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #20 - 08/03/10 at 07:37:35
Post Tools
@LeeRoth, it's not a dedicated iPad version as such, it's the iPhone version scaled up. But there's every possibility that there's an iPad version in the works, which will probably be a bit more impressive.

I did expect the program to be a bit stronger. On it's highest level, I'd mark it as rank patzer (see comic effort referenced above), but that's only on the basis of one game...so there is a possibility I just got it into a position which it couldn't get a handle on....but having read about the threat from Smartphones etc, I was expecting a bit more.

Functionality is very limited too. On th eplus side, it only costs a few dollars.

Perhaps check out Shredder; I haven't looked at it properly yet, but it looks a more promising effort.

Can't find that Glaurung app on the App Store; geographic restrictions perhaps?

I fully expect the offerings in a few months to be much better...it's pretty much all work in progress at the moment....

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 07/31/10 at 14:26:03
Post Tools
@DinkHeckler -- I didn't know you could use Fritz on an Ipad.  If you don't mind elaborating, what was underwhelming about it?

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #18 - 07/30/10 at 16:57:56
Post Tools
I have to clarify my earlier post regarding the Anti-Sicilians July update.

It turned out there was some misunderstanding (mostly mine) with regards to releasing the updates in Smart Chess. Tony gave me the ok to test out how that will work for us (porting the content in Smart Chess), but not necessarily to release the updates for sale via Smart Chess.

This is totally my fault. Essentially, there is no legal agreement as yet between ChessPub and Smart Chess. And not to waste our porting efforts, I have asked Tony to allow us to avail the July update as a free download to all Smart Chess users (subscribers or non-subscribers).

So there is no further porting of other updates until a legal agreement is in place. If you like the updates in Smart Chess, please mention it to Tony so he can make a guided decision.

I assume he will give us permission to provide this update as a free download, otherwise, subscribers and future consumers of the updates will never get to see how this works in Smart Chess.

Again, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Best regards,
Andres

IP Logged

Vladimir

Reply #17 - 07/30/10 at 16:14:57
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 07/30/10 at 11:41:50:
Not that this necessarily refutes cheating concerns, since you can run a VPN prog on your iPad, and hook into your quad-core monster at home....

Speaking of which, the new Glaurung 2.0 for the iPhone apparently has this exact feature. And regarding cheating, I guess the lesson to learn in all of this is that smartphones can make phony smarties (had to be said  Wink).

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #16 - 07/30/10 at 11:41:50
Post Tools
I'll defo give this a crack...can't wait to try it out.

Tried out Fritz on the iPad the other day, distinctly underwhelmed.

Played the highest setting '2350-Grandmaster'...mmmhhh.

Ended up in an opposite colour Bishop ending with the following structure (me White):

...and a bunch of K-side pawns...the horizon effect at work, I guess...but it takes a special talent to attain such a comical position. Not that this necessarily refutes cheating concerns, since you can run a VPN prog on your iPad, and hook into your quad-core monster at home....

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #15 - 07/29/10 at 23:10:25
Post Tools
We just got done porting in Smart Chess the July Anti-Sicilian update by GM Shaw. We are confident that about 6 updates will be available by release time next week.

But please understand: Delay (even major software companies are not immune to) is a reality as well for us. However, it will be worth your wait.

With regards to the possibility of cheating, we think it will not get any worse. I am sure organizers will threaten heavier sanctions to stop people from even attempting to use similar devices for cheating.

If cheating occurs, it will involve the use of engines (for a specific board position) but not with the review of notes or lessons or opening lines via Smart Chess.

Most people will consume Smart Chess content in an iPad because of its bigger screen size, and the iPads are not easy to conceal unlike a Smartphone.

Smart Chess in an iPhone or iPad brings to chess players more upsides than downsides. Also, it will bring fatter monetary rewards to chess content providers (publishers and writers) than the current model. We are removing a big portion of the distribution cost (printing, shipping & handling, and warehousing) and passing on the savings to consumers - chess players.

We pay writers a more generous royalty arrangement. We want to incentivize writers to produce quality chess literature.

Wish us well. I appreciate any suggestions with regards to app features.

Best regards,
Andres

IP Logged

nimzo5

d4!

Reply #14 - 07/28/10 at 15:52:26
Post Tools
I think it would be wise to have a presence in the Smartphone world. Chess on the Smartphone is still very limited - even something simple like an easy way to read the monthly updates in an app or such would be nice.

1950 Fide - 2050 if you omit Sunday Morning first rounds Smiley

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/28/10 at 12:50:37
Post Tools
any reader, browser, editor... would be great, but beware of engines - they use all CPU, all memory, and suck power out in no time.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #12 - 07/28/10 at 12:00:30
Post Tools
adh2050 wrote on 07/27/10 at 20:04:13:
Hi,

I miss reading interesting posts on this Forum. I got busy with something that I allowed my subscription to temporary lapsed. I will renew shortly.

What got me busy (for about 8 months) is this app we are releasing in a matter of week or two, primarily for the iPhone, iPad and iTouch platforms. We will release the app for the Android, other smartphones and touchscreen devices next year.

As with other chess apps, ours has a strong engine with adjustable playing strength to suit one's level of play. Version 2 will allow you to play against others similar to online play in ICC.

It will also allow you to play over games or specific game collections such as, Fisher-Spassky games, Kasparov vs. Karpov games and the like.

What differentiates our app from the rest is that you can read books (yes - real chess books!) in it. So far, we are working on releasing 48 titles (Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, Dvoretsky's Analytical Manual, Tal-Botvinnik 1960, etc., in this app.

The app allows you to see all nested lines and even cited games in the book. Because of the touchscreen technology in these devices, the board is interactive.

We are working in getting Everyman Chess, New in Chess, Qualitychess (GM Aagaard) and other big publishing outfits including ChessPublishing.com and ChessVibes.com to license us their books or chess content for release in Smart Chess.

We also have GMs (including GM Roman Dzindzi), IMs, FMs, NMs and Experts writing new material for us.

Many of these books or titles will be sold (as an option) by chapters for $.99 a chapter or groups of chapters.

Imagine viewing ChessPublishing opening updates in an iPhone or iPad, anywhere and anytime. If you like the idea, please let Tony know. By the way, books in Smart Chess will read just like the actual book except that you get to see nested lines within nested lines interactively.

We will also release Puzzle Packs ($.99 a pack) almost every week using source games from the weekly TWIC updates. Our puzzles will be drawn from 2010 games and beyond.

If you are interested in writing (opening articles, short lessons or puzzles) for us, please send email to king@playsmartchess.com.

Best regards,
Andres

Sounds very interesting indeed. Would use such material a lot, if it was done properly.

But some advice - Having Roman Dzinzi on your books will count very much against your reputation, not for it. See also: 'Lilov'.

Best of luck with the endeavour.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 07/28/10 at 11:54:12
Post Tools
As in numerous school classrooms, simply have a bucket where players leave their handhelds upon entering.

Signal jammers are cheap enough too - one uni I worked at (Kansai University, Osaka) had a jammer in every single toilet cubicle. To prevent students spending too long evacuating while writing to loved ones no doubt.

Actually quite annoying. Important part of the day, the i-dump.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #10 - 07/28/10 at 11:22:17
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/27/10 at 21:32:57:
If this becomes a reality (and particularly with opening books available), doesn't it increase opportunities for cheating a bit? Maybe in a few years even normal Opens will have to use metal detectors to make sure people don't take these things into the playing area and adjacent rooms.

Actually, this was one of the first thoughts that occurred to me. Maybe everyone will soon have to follow the Austrians and simply ban all telephones from the playing hall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo