I don't have a smartphone    
  16 (41.0%)
I will get a smartphone    
  4 (10.3%)

Total votes: 39
« Created by: GMTonyKosten on: 07/26/10 at 12:46:08 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Smartphones and chess Apps (Read 31382 times)
Vidit
YaBB Newbies

Hardwork the masterkey
for success!

Re: Smartphones and chess Apps
Reply #54 - 08/12/10 at 18:03:51
Post Tools
adh2050 wrote on 08/12/10 at 17:47:35:
Vidit wrote on 08/12/10 at 06:46:27:
First of all it is a gr8 idea and I am thankful to you for it.One more thing I wanted to ask you is,That I am owing a touchscreen phone of Samsung,The screen is not quite large but it is okay.My question is whether this application of urs run in my phone or I will need Iphone?

I appreciate your kind comment. I am sorry but you will have to wait for Smart Chess that will work on your smartphone. What kind is it? Is it a Blackberry, or a Google Android or a Motorola Droid X?

Our first release of Smart Chess is only for the Apple family of products (iPhone, iPad and iTouch).

We are working on releasing versions (middle of next year) for every smartphones with touch screen capabilities.

Andres

It is Samsung..I dont which operating system it uses..but I hope u release a version for other phones too.I have sent a pm to you about the details

Fide elo-2602

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #53 - 08/12/10 at 17:47:35
Post Tools
Vidit wrote on 08/12/10 at 06:46:27:
First of all it is a gr8 idea and I am thankful to you for it.One more thing I wanted to ask you is,That I am owing a touchscreen phone of Samsung,The screen is not quite large but it is okay.My question is whether this application of urs run in my phone or I will need Iphone?

I appreciate your kind comment. I am sorry but you will have to wait for Smart Chess that will work on your smartphone. What kind is it? Is it a Blackberry, or a Google Android or a Motorola Droid X?

Our first release of Smart Chess is only for the Apple family of products (iPhone, iPad and iTouch).

We are working on releasing versions (middle of next year) for every smartphones with touch screen capabilities.

Andres

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #52 - 08/12/10 at 17:41:18
Post Tools
sagwa wrote on 08/12/10 at 09:52:19:
Will your apps for smart phone run on the iPad?
Sagwa

Yes. All the contents you buy for the iPhone will work on your iTouch or iPad. You only pay once for the contents in this family of devices.

However, you pay a different price for the iPad version of Smart Chess itself in version 2 since by that time they will be almost different products. Smart Chess 1.0, however, will work on your iPhone and iPad - one price ($4.99), one download.

In other words, Smart Chess 2.0 for iPhone and Smart Chess 2.0 for iPad will be different products (we are taking advantage of hardware capabilities in the iPad, i.e., bigger screen size). The iPad version will be just $2 more.

Andres

IP Logged

sagwa

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #51 - 08/12/10 at 09:52:19
Post Tools
Will your apps for smart phone run on the iPad?

Sagwa

IP Logged

Vidit
YaBB Newbies

Hardwork the masterkey
for success!

Reply #50 - 08/12/10 at 06:46:27
Post Tools

Fide elo-2602

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #49 - 08/12/10 at 05:49:16
Post Tools
slates wrote on 08/11/10 at 20:39:04:
I think there's a definite need for a good FICS client and I would willingly hand over my £5 for one of these alone in the App Store, and would pay more than that for Smart Chess if it could become the complete all round chess app.

Thank you Slates for your sentiments and suggestions. I was right about the ChessPub community being a great source of product ideas.

Incorporating a FICS/ICC client in Smart Chess is definitely worth pursuing.

On the drawing table also is remote connectivity to a PC or servers for engine analysis. We are even thinking of renting out analysis time to folks who want mini-computing power for some of their opening analysis.

We just built a computer, we nicknamed The HULK, for this kind of deep opening analysis. It has 24 Gigs of memory and two solid state hard drives to boost speed and power on top of the two Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz 6-Core processors.

Andres

IP Logged

slates
God Member

Reply #48 - 08/11/10 at 20:39:04
Post Tools
The App Store needs a decent FICS client, in my opinion.  I have bought iphone versions of Shredder, Fritz, Hiarcs and about 4 FICS/ICC clients, but none of those clients really get the job done without some kind of drawback.  I'll probably buy Smart Chess anyway, but if it's going to have an engine (something like Glaurung is surely more than sufficient for most players, and evidently easy/inexpensive to implement) it may as well go the whole hog and incorporate a good client, too.  The app could clean up the market if it does this. I notice that Fritz (iphone app) tried recently to introduce a database, but it's not very user-friendly, otherwise that's a good idea, and they are now apparently about to introduce live online games, although how they do this remains to be seen, although i don't think it is via FICS or ICC.  I think there's a definite need for a good FICS client and I would willingly hand over my £5 for one of these alone in the App Store, and would pay more than that for Smart Chess if it could become the complete all round chess app. Theres another little app called Chesstutor Lite (not sure where the full version is yet?!) which has a kind of 'Guess the next move' feature but only has a couple of games at present....but thats a nice idea for a smartphone, as there is no temptation to 'accidentally' read the line below to find the answer.....
Everything else you've talked about seems promising and I can't wait to see the app when it comes out, but I still wait for the day I can get a stable and easy to play game on FICS using my iphone. For reference, I currently have Magnus' Online Chess, Cyber Chess, Handy Chess and iChess Pack as FICS clients, plus the engines I mentioned earlier and then a number of openings related and database chess apps....I've spent a reasonable amount of money on the 20 or so chess apps I currently have and yet I definitely think that if you do Smart Chess well it could clean up on all these fronts and make some good money.

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #47 - 08/11/10 at 17:19:31
Post Tools
I noticed considerable interest in this thread. Please post some ideas and suggestions for Smart Chess. I do not want to miss out on wonderful ideas from a fertile source like the ChessPub congregation. Even your questions sometimes give us great ideas.

For subscribers who do not own a smart phone or iPad, we are releasing a version for the PC aptly called Smart Chess PC. Current subscribers will get to experience chess content in Smart Chess without buying the native devices for it.
Theory updates for current subscribers invoking the grandfather clause will likely get the updates at no charge in the Smart Chess PC environment. We really want input with regards to access and pricing schemes from folks here.

So fire away.

Andres

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #46 - 08/10/10 at 16:36:47
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 08/06/10 at 20:56:35:
I quite like the concept.

Great!

Quote:
I do have some questions however (as I am not well versed in the smart phones):
-Can I also down- and upload them to/from my computer and read them there (or even better download them directly on my computer) so that I have the files readable on the pc? When I then have to travel I can select the ones I want to read and upload them to my phone or pad.

Answer: First, I am sorry for the delay in my response.
We are already working on the PC version. As you know, we have yet to release Version 1. Our release date is a moving target but we are getting closer to the big launch. (Even Microsoft, given its size, has never met its release dates.)
In Version 1.0, once you download and install an update or a book, it will be always in your device for your use anywhere and anytime. Soon, you will be able to do the same on your Smart Chess PC. Users who do not own a smart phone or iPad can still use the PC to consume the content (ChessPub update or any book). Your notebook will be like your iPad or smart phone - in that once the content has been downloaded - it will be there for your use without the need to access the ChessPub site.
Quote:
-Is there some sort of alarm system that alerts you to a newly available update?

Yes, you will get a notice just like you do now with any app you bought from the Apple store except that the ChessPub Updates are not free. Updates to Smart Chess itself is free, of course.
Quote:
-Is the format interchangeable with pgn? Could be handy when you want to analyse on the pc.

I am afraid not because these are copyrighted materials and cannot be changed. But, you can always do the analysis with the pgn updates that you get from ChessPub.
With regards to books, lessons, puzzles, and ChessPub updates, Smart Chess is merely a platform on which you can consume chess content in a much cleaner format. Remember, our differentiating capability is the ability (option) for the user to see all nested lines and cited games without worry of following the right lines.

Version 1 will allow you though to load your pgn (user-created) in Smart Chess using your computer. The function is available and will be a painless process for you. We eliminated the need to go to some url as in other existing apps to load user-created pgn files.

We believe engines on smart phones or even iPad will never catch up with their counterparts in the PC arena due to hardware limitations. Serious players will always rely on the PC versions. We also believe it is a disservice to our customers to give them the notion that what Smart Chess is saying about a given book or ChessPub update position is reliable. Smart Chess is not designed for this purpose. You will need a different tool for that.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #45 - 08/09/10 at 21:30:52
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 08/06/10 at 20:56:35:
I quite like the concept.

Yep, me too. Looks like I will have to go out and buy myself an iPhone now. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #44 - 08/06/10 at 20:56:35
Post Tools
I quite like the concept. If I understand correctly you download the update (cutting your need for accessing the web and thus cutting costs for me) in smart chess format and then you can use it.

I do have some questions however (as I am not well versed in the smart phones):
-Can I also down- and upload them to/from my computer and read them there (or even better download them directly on my computer) so that I have the files readable on the pc? When I then have to travel I can select the ones I want to read and upload them to my phone or pad.
-Is there some sort of alarm system that alerts you to a newly available update?
-Is the format interchangeable with pgn? Could be handy when you want to analyse on the pc.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #43 - 08/06/10 at 19:32:06
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 08/06/10 at 18:36:12:
Question - will current Chesspublishing subscribers have free access to subscribed materials, or will they have to pay again to access the updates via this app?

Unfortunately, no. Technically, you do not access these updates. Essentially, they are new products. You will have to download these updates to your device (iPhone, iPad, iTouch, other smart phones).

I hope you are not offended but it is similar to what Everyman Chess is doing with their paperbacks when converting them into eBooks. Would you say then that those who already bought their paperbacks should be given free downloads? As a matter of fact, they are selling their eBooks for $19.95 a piece. Since we like them, we also pay for them.

So there is a small price to pay for the convenience of consuming these updates (content) in a different environment. We incur costs in producing these content in Smart Chess format.

While they are the same content, they are delivered and consumed in a different way and the consumer is availed a totally different learning experience. However, we are not quite sure yet as to how much we would be pricing the updates. But it will be cheap if you think of its value. Plus, current subscribers will get to pick and choose only the Smart Chess updates they only want to consume in their respective devices. The rest you can consume as you do now via the browser or Chessbase.

We are trying to reach new markets - mostly those not already subscribed to ChessPublishing.com. However, current subscribers may choose to consume the updates outside of the current mode of access, that is, through the web via a device.

We are open to offering discounts to existing ChessPublishing.com subscribers.

ChessPublishing.com is not selling the Smart Chess updates, but we are - so it will not be right to ask Tony to absorb the cost by simply allowing current subscribers a free pass to Smart Chess updates.

I hope this satisfies your question. We are open to suggestions. Currently, I am thinking of pricing the updates for $0.99, whether it be in groups of twos or threes. In groups of twos, there will be 6 each month. In groups of threes, there will be 5 each month. Or, simply $0.99 for each update, 12 in all.

The eBooks for sure will be sold separately but will be priced inexpensively, as well. They require more time and effort to produce. It will be unlike Everyman's eBooks - totally different. The presentation scheme is much cleaner and again, you get to take the updates with you anywhere and study them anytime without needing to connect to the net.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Andres

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #42 - 08/06/10 at 18:36:12
Post Tools
Question - will current Chesspublishing subscribers have free access to subscribed materials, or will they have to pay again to access the updates via this app?

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #41 - 08/06/10 at 18:11:19
Post Tools
adh2050 wrote on 08/06/10 at 02:49:48:
How the Products catalog would look in the iPhone. http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/981/iphone28productcatalog.th.png

If you look carefully, the Anti-Sicilians July Update by GM Shaw is listed on the product page.

IP Logged

adh2050

Improving Chess Player!

Reply #40 - 08/06/10 at 18:04:07
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 08/06/10 at 10:08:20:
Looks promising, although the prospect of buying books that I've already got a hard copy of, in the hope that I might actually read them, rather depresses me....  Smiley

I know what you mean. On a more positive note, the app may just get you now to actually read those books.

One major obstacle in my experience to reading all these hard copy books is the nested lines within nested lines. Smart Chess will let you go through them painlessly.

I never read Dvoretsky's books because he is fond of giving out multiple nested lines within nested lines. Has anyone tried reading Chapter 1 of Dvoretsky's Analytical Manual?

One reason novices are turned off by chess books is the confusing parentheses and brackets that separate nested lines. If you are not careful, you could be following the wrong line even with a board.

I own paperback books I cannot wait to consume in Smart Chess myself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo