Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Real Life Chess Clubs vs. the Internet (Read 1467 times)
TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Re: Real Life Chess Clubs vs. the Internet
Reply #4 - 08/10/10 at 21:12:03
Post Tools
The symptom you're describing sounds familiar where I live too. But with one exception, a few years ago one of the clubs in town had to move due to increased rent, and after searching in vain for another place they finally ended up sharing the rent with another club at their place, and after a while they decided to have a joint first team in the series.

In retrospect this has turned out quite well - finances have improved for both clubs, there are more players at club evenings, more activity & tournaments, an inner core of about 10-15 players has formed who are often hanging out at the club and the joint first team has just advanced to the 2nd highest series.

So the idea of two or more clubs sharing the same place might be a good idea in other cities too!? Everywhere else up here (except perhaps Norway with the Carlsen effect) the clubs are shrinking or disappearing, while this combination of the 2nd and 3rd clubs in Malmö, is actually growing slightly.

IP Logged

Fromper

GrandPatzer

Reply #3 - 08/10/10 at 20:52:57
Post Tools
I don't see it dying so quick. Here in the US, the biggest complaint in the USCF is that everything is focused on scholastics. Most OTB tourney players in the US these days are kids!

And while there's plenty of internet chess being played, there are still plenty of serious tournaments, clubs with skittles and blitz play, and just people playing the occasional game here and there.

There do seem to be less people at the local clubs around here over the last year or so, but I think that's more due to the bad economy than the popularity of chess. The same people who aren't showing up to pay entry fees at tournies are still showing up for skittles play at less formal clubs.

GrandPatzer!!!

1777 peak USCF rating - currently 1620 from coming back rusty
IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/10 at 20:24:46
Post Tools
so we can assume on the board chess on the amateur level will be dying soon. I guess there will still be real life events for the best of the best (similar to lan events for internetbased computer games), but I guess there will be fewer players being able to live off from chess, e.g. professional players and especially trainers. Tbh. I think there is only an older 45+ generation still frequently visiting the chess club, many of the younger people play on the internet, I also think there are also less people now willing to do youth training, less people willing to organize an event, the problem is not staging the event, but find people who would help to set everything up ... in 10-20 years chess will be more or less mainly an internet game ... I don't see anything that will happen to counter this development ... similar to correspondence chess, on ambitious level it is more or less played only with the help of a computer that calculates the position for the operator, and there is nothing that can counter this development to make humans again rely on their own understanding of chess and endurance in thinking ...
of course you still have to understand a bit of chess and not just use the computer, as so many people proclaim, that can also be said about internet chess, it it is still chess you know, you still play chess against others, but you can't deny that somehow everything has changed ...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 08/09/10 at 21:17:21
Post Tools
I regret this development. I find internet games with classical time control or faster sterile. Of course that means that I am getting old.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Real Life Chess Clubs vs. the Internet
08/09/10 at 18:11:04
Post Tools
I live in germany, and to me it seems the club scene is slowly dying. I think one of the culprits is the possibility to play chess on the internet. In internet chess clubs you finde a greater number of players and also more stronger players, which results in not really having anymore a reason to pay a visit to your local club to play chess against others. This reason used to be the main reason for visiting a chess club, and now that it is gone, many people don't visit the club anymore, especially the stronger players. And players staying away leads devaluation of the chess club.
You see these players only in days where team championsips take place, like at max 9 times a year.
9 times a year is not really much, so in a way these people become strangers to you, and the atmosphere in the team worsens because of this. Also I think chess was once the more or less the only competetive intellectual game you could play. Now there comes a lot of competition in this category from computer games, which you can play also on the internet, for example starcraft. And I also think due to the lack of fresh blood and less activitys in clubs, the playing strength and learned chess culture will decline, because people won't learn chess in the clubs, although the internet chess might be booming.
Technology like freely avaible databases and engines lead to more countrys having stronger players that could compete or even surpass the russian players, but first these players need to get to an IM or GM level to be really able to use this technology, and this training to IM and GM level must begin in real life chess clubs and tourneys. Tbh. if you want chess to survive you have to make more promotion for it and make it more interesting, go to schools and make chess training. tbh. I think classical chess tourneys lasting 9 days and longer are not anymore appropriate, I even think that rapid chess should be the main form of chess, if people want it to survive.
You can't sell 5 hours chess for one game to the public. Really in my region chess clubs are dying, there are only very few players in club evenings and club tourneys do not even take place because there are too few players.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo