Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ChessBase or Chess Assistant (Read 24424 times)
Etherabloom
YaBB Newbies

Re: ChessBase or Chess Assistant
Reply #34 - 02/24/21 at 10:45:01
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 02/23/21 at 23:06:28:
Jonathan Tait wrote on 02/23/21 at 08:57:03:
Just updated to the new version of CB15 — and they've changed the analysis engine format. It's now giving assessments in multiple percentages instead of decimals.
I DO NOT WANT THIS Angry Angry Angry

Edit: Ah, they had "display win probability" turned on by default. Turned it off again Smiley

No, I don't want that either! Please can you tell me where the setting is that you're referring to? I can't find it. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Managed to find it now. Just in case anyone else is struggling, right-click on the engine window and the 'display win probability' option appears in the contextual menu.

That works for the contextual menu but is there a way to also change it within the notation itself?

For example, if you right click on some engine analysis & paste it into the notation it still comes up as %s, even if you have it unselected in the contextual menu.

I haven't yet found a way to change it so that the normal decimal assessments are pasted into the notation, assuming there is a way to change it. I'm hoping Chessbase will at least give us the choice and not force this % winning chances assessment stuff onto us.

Edit in: I just resolved my issue. After unselecting display winning probability, I also needed to close the engine & then reopen it, afterwards the analysis was being copied to notation in the normal decimal format.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #33 - 02/23/21 at 23:06:28
Post Tools
Just updated to the new version of CB15 — and they've changed the analysis engine format. It's now giving assessments in multiple percentages instead of decimals.

Edit: Ah, they had "display win probability" turned on by default. Turned it off again Smiley

No, I don't want that either! Please can you tell me where the setting is that you're referring to? I can't find it. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Managed to find it now. Just in case anyone else is struggling, right-click on the engine window and the 'display win probability' option appears in the contextual menu.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #32 - 02/23/21 at 10:23:42
Post Tools
Just updated to the new version of CB15

I don't think it's so new, I've had CB16 for a while Roll Eyes
I still mainly use CB13, and prefer CB10 ...

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #31 - 02/23/21 at 08:57:03
Post Tools

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #30 - 02/22/21 at 14:34:53
Post Tools
I think IDEA analysis is only in Aquarium and not in Chess Assistant. Am I wrong about that?

I purchased Aquarium to see what the hype is about -- I couldn't get into it. Call me old school, but chess is only interesting if it's happening in my own head. It's only a game but without that aspect there's no point to the game at all. Even looking at the ideas of stronger players is mostly interesting by comparison with whether I could ever have come up with the same idea myself. (Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Increasingly no as the strongest players increasingly use engines and play more like engines themselves.) Letting the engine run to some ridiculous depth and then seeing what it came up with just leaves me cold. Especially if it's some machine logic I could never reproduce OTB. It would be terrible for my human opponent to deviate from the main line and I have no idea how to refute that because I'm not an engine. IDEA could be useful for modern correspondence play, but playing against someone else's computer also doesn't interest me.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 02/22/21 at 11:54:52
Post Tools
I would also add that Aquarium/ chess assistant has IDEA analysis which is better than ChessBase in my opinion. It is buggy but there are some features CB does not have.

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 02/22/21 at 03:28:47
Post Tools
Thanks.   That's helpful.  I didn't know that CA could read and presumably convert CBH files to the CA proprietary format.  It sounds like the only thing I would need to keep Chessbase Reader around for is to run Chessbase videos that I already own.  I may give Chess Assistant a try and probably won't be the only person to do so.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #27 - 02/21/21 at 22:48:52
Post Tools
No program does everything that another does. Even when they both do the same thing they don't do it equally well. And nowadays chess database programs have so many features no chessplayer can use them all.

So if moving from ChessBase to another program, the first big question must be, which ChessBase features do you, personally, actually use? Only then can you know if another program would be a good replacement. (Although serendipity happens. This replacement program might have a feature ChessBase lacks, which you didn't even realize you wanted.)

Since SCID vs PC is free I think you should evaluate that one yourself. I use SCID, I haven't looked at SCID vs PC but it seems similar.

As to Chess Assistant, ChessOK is a Russian company. There is a whole other universe of chess in the Russian language. It's possible for a company to thrive in that arena and for Western chessplayers to never hear of it. So I wouldn't worry about ChessOK just yet, although nothing lasts forever and this is true of ChessBase as well.

Many moons ago I started with Chess Assistant for DOS, and through all the versions have always preferred CA to ChessBase. Chess Assistant can open ChessBase's proprietary .cbh format (read-only), so that's a big help. For me the biggest advantage is the Chess Assistant tree. I use a tree all the time and the ChessBase tree simply cannot compare. I would rank the trees Chess Assistant clear 1st, SCID and HIARCS Chess Explorer neck-and-neck 2nd and 3rd, ChessBase distant 4th, more like an also-ran. One thing that drives me crazy about Chess Assistant is, ever since Windows Vista I cannot see the +- "winning for white" ($18) symbol. Convekta (in those days) told me they couldn't fix it and I should run it under Wine, which I did, but nowadays Wine does the same thing. I have a different workaround for myself but couldn't recommend it to others. I am using an old version of Chess Assistant (I have CA17 but prefer and use CA10), maybe the latest version has fixed this issue. One would hope so. It's something to do with the fonts, maybe it works if you have a Russian version of Windows? They must have different system fonts installed anyway.

IP Logged

MaxJudd

I Love ChessPublishing!

ChessBase or Chess Assistant (or SCID vs. PC)?
Reply #26 - 02/21/21 at 20:07:45
Post Tools
In light of the Fat Fritz 2 situation (regardless of whether what Chessbase did may potentially be legal), I am considering changing from Chessbase to either SCID vs. PC or Chess Assistant 21 going forward.  Does anyone use either of these as your main opening repertoire and game/key position database anymore? 

It seems from the activity on the Chesspub forums and otherwise that use of Chess Assistant has declined a lot during the past 5 years.  Is it still a well maintained and comparable product to Chessbase?  Is it safe from a cyber security perspective (don't know much about the company)?  It looks like the game update service is considerably cheaper.

What about SCID vs. PC?  Does it have any signficant limitations relative to either of the two main commercial programs (or HIARCs)?  Are people happy with it?

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #25 - 04/21/12 at 02:04:14
Post Tools
Yes, I am still using opening master (blue package) and downloading via dropbox. I pay nothing to dropbox, and my understanding is that it's om's dropbox, not mine, that's being used.

On the whole I like om, but his claim that his data contains no duplicates is quite mistaken, if not outright bogus.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

snits

Reply #24 - 04/20/12 at 18:43:51
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 03/01/11 at 13:12:24:
Personally I prefer Scid, which is completely free, and spend my money on chess data from Opening Master.  At something like $40/year for their full service, that's a big savings over CB or CA and their data services.  I have Scid hooked up to DeepShredder12, so it's a complete chess database/analysis/chess notetaking tool for me.

Markovich, are you still using the Opening Master service? Does it use your dropbox storage, or do they provide access to the data on their storage? It sounds like at one point at least you had to get a dropbox account and they used your folder, but it isn't clear if that is that case now.

Edit: Looking at the dropbox site, it appears that the data will count against your quota. So a dedicated account will be needed if you don't want to pay dropbox for extra storage.
« Last Edit: 04/20/12 at 21:26:38 by snits »  

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #23 - 02/20/12 at 22:43:46
Post Tools
Tullius wrote on 02/18/12 at 15:54:30:
A very good article about Chessbase and CA is here

An interesting article, maybe someone should write an article comparing those two products and SCID from the point of view of a professional chess player/writer.

IP Logged

Merlin
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 02/20/12 at 19:55:32
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 02/18/12 at 18:33:34:
Markovich wrote on 02/18/12 at 13:26:43:
But I believe that null moves are some sort of private convention.

Really, just a ChessBase invention? Roll Eyes

No, it's just not standardized.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #21 - 02/18/12 at 18:33:34
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 02/18/12 at 13:26:43:
But I believe that null moves are some sort of private convention.

Really, just a ChessBase invention? Roll Eyes As you say it is sufficiently important that someone should control it properly.

IP Logged

Tullius

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 02/18/12 at 15:54:30
Post Tools
A very good article about Chessbase and CA is here

https://www.chesscentral.com/Articles.asp?ID=459

I myself have used CB for years but last i decided to work more seriously and tested CA for several months. Now 90% is done by CA and i use CB only for eBooks and printing repertoire tables.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo