Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Should non-2.Nf3 lines be covered in PTP?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes; transpositions chapter    
  3 (11.5%)
Yes; cover all key lines briefly    
  3 (11.5%)
Yes; handle in different chapters    
  3 (11.5%)
Yes; cover a few lines in detail    
  2 (7.7%)
No; this is Play the Petroff    
  12 (46.2%)
No; recommend other sources    
  3 (11.5%)

Total votes: 26
« Last Modified by: TN on: 10/12/10 at 12:56:00 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C42-C43: Play the Petroff by Har-Zvi and Gupta (Read 134474 times)
Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Play the Petroff by Ronen Har-Zvi and Ankit Gupta
Reply #68 - 10/11/10 at 14:28:49
Post Tools
Göran wrote on 10/10/10 at 22:43:55:
"On the whole, how many people would want us to cover transpositions in an independent chapter?"

We could set up a poll with the options:

- I don’t think it is important how it is handled as long as it is handled
- Handle it in the different chapters where it is appropriate
- Handle it in an independent chapter

Would anyone with english as first language please improve on the above options?

Thanks a poll is helpful.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #67 - 10/11/10 at 00:26:02
Post Tools
"No ; Yes transposition chapter" could be another alternative.

Anyway, the reason I suggested it was that I was reading Palliser's book on the Czech Benoni, and got both confused and irritated at all the transposition notes within the commentary (otherwise, it's a good effort though!).

But what's the point of mentioning that a3 0-0, 0-0 Ne8, b4 transposes to 0-0 0-0, a3 Ne8, b4 and so on, and on. If "it just transposes" why mention it?

The important thing is if different move orders offer different alternatives on the way to the transpo or creates more choices or obstacles for the opponent, for example if one move order makes it important for the other part to suddenly play the standard moves in a certain order. Palliser has a good example of this, where Kh8 Rad1! Nf6 suddenly ran into Nxe5! dxe5 and d6.

Besides, knowledge and evaluation of transpo tricks are something where titled players are definitely better than an engine - so why hide that stuff in between all the "X is better than Y but not as strong as Z" variations? So, to my mind the only question is if transpos should be dealt with a chapter of their own or in a pre-chapter to every major variation, the 2nd option may be easier to do.

Quote:
If you review it on your blog (what is your blog?), and find any errors, please feel free to let me know.

You can read it here: http://borgchess.blogspot.com/2010/10/kg-newish-idea-in-modern-defence.html

You only missed one major thing, Bxe4! instead of Qxg6, and of course you should get a good corr-database for reference, it will save you a lot of work!

Anyway, thanks again for posting your analysis of 13.Qe1 - it was a long time since I last felt motivated to look at the KG, so it was nice to see that it's still more "unclear" than "easy equality"!
« Last Edit: 10/11/10 at 13:00:37 by TalJechin »  

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #66 - 10/10/10 at 23:42:39
Post Tools
Have your say!

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #65 - 10/10/10 at 22:43:55
Post Tools

"On the whole, how many people would want us to cover transpositions in an independent chapter?"

We could set up a poll with the options:

- I don’t think it is important how it is handled as long as it is handled
- Handle it in the different chapters where it is appropriate
- Handle it in an independent chapter

Would anyone with english as first language please improve on the above options?

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 10/10/10 at 18:21:40
Post Tools
trw wrote on 10/10/10 at 01:54:04:
I would also like some discussion of transpositions to be honest.

Also FYI Ankit, you can attach pgn files to your post so no need to copy/paste.

Thanks. I originally tried to use a Flash Chess App, but had issues with that; I didn't consider using a CBV or PGN attachment for whatever reason.

I'll keep that in mind for future posts, when necessary.

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 10/10/10 at 18:18:52
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 10/10/10 at 16:36:36:
It could be a good idea to have a separate chapter on transpositions and pros and cons of different move orders (one of my favourite chess books is Soltis' Transpo Tricks in Chess). Within a game comment it's difficult to discuss this kind of stuff without causing confusion. So, it may be best to treat them all in one chapter, and then you won't need to mention it again. Smiley

Over the years, I've had plans to start playing the Petroff myself, one thing I particularly like about is that after 2.Nf3 Nf6 there a lot less dangerous gambits to worry about.

What may have stopped me, is probably that if it was my main defence I'd want to play it all the time, but when facing slightly lower rated players who may not see a draw as a half loss, I'd be reluctant to play the Petroff. Which in turn would mean that a back-up defence would be needed, and that would of course not be as updated in one's mind as the regular.

So, maybe you should offer two repertoires - one when a draw is a semi-win and one for when it's a semi-loss. If there are any reasonably sound ways to play for the win in the Petroff?

Btw, thanks for your KG-analysis, I'll take a deeper look at it on my blog in a couple of days.

Btw2, I wouldn't really expect a full repertoire vs everything white can play after e4 e5, in a book on the Petroff. Back when I did play 1...e5, at least online, I even had some trouble in 3min blitz against someone who always played the Philidor as white with 3.d3 - it didn't really matter that I played the few "correct moves" I knew from the books, in blitz you won't be as familiar with the positions as white is, and sooner or later time trouble will strike. The only real solution is to spend some time analysing such stuff for yourself.

On the whole, how many people would want us to cover transpositions in an independent chapter?

Also, just a warning, the King's Gambit analysis (on the ...Be6 variation of the Modern Variation) I posted is very brief (since the only purpose of it was to suggest that that line is not as equals as some who posted earlier in this forum might believe it is). So, a lot of variations and side-variations Black can choose may not be covered, etc. That said, Black's alternatives should basically handled in a similar fashion.

If you review it on your blog (what is your blog?), and find any errors, please feel free to let me know.

The Petroff is not as drawish as people believe it to be. True, some lines are drawish, but on the whole, that can be said for any opening from Black's POV (exchange French, exchange Slav, exchange QGA, etc). There are lines that White can play that are somewhat dry, but there are several lines that end up in sharp positions.

Since the Petroff is employed at the very top level so often (as opposed to some other openings), where errors are less frequent in play, is a large reason for why many games in the Petroff end in a draw result.

We will try to present the active choices for Black that do not afford White any significant noticeable advantage.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #62 - 10/10/10 at 16:36:36
Post Tools
It could be a good idea to have a separate chapter on transpositions and pros and cons of different move orders (one of my favourite chess books is Soltis' Transpo Tricks in Chess). Within a game comment it's difficult to discuss this kind of stuff without causing confusion. So, it may be best to treat them all in one chapter, and then you won't need to mention it again. Smiley

Over the years, I've had plans to start playing the Petroff myself, one thing I particularly like about is that after 2.Nf3 Nf6 there a lot less dangerous gambits to worry about.

What may have stopped me, is probably that if it was my main defence I'd want to play it all the time, but when facing slightly lower rated players who may not see a draw as a half loss, I'd be reluctant to play the Petroff. Which in turn would mean that a back-up defence would be needed, and that would of course not be as updated in one's mind as the regular.

So, maybe you should offer two repertoires - one when a draw is a semi-win and one for when it's a semi-loss. If there are any reasonably sound ways to play for the win in the Petroff?

Btw, thanks for your KG-analysis, I'll take a deeper look at it on my blog in a couple of days.

Btw2, I wouldn't really expect a full repertoire vs everything white can play after e4 e5, in a book on the Petroff. Back when I did play 1...e5, at least online, I even had some trouble in 3min blitz against someone who always played the Philidor as white with 3.d3 - it didn't really matter that I played the few "correct moves" I knew from the books, in blitz you won't be as familiar with the positions as white is, and sooner or later time trouble will strike. The only real solution is to spend some time analysing such stuff for yourself.

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 10/10/10 at 06:01:50
Post Tools
trw wrote on 10/10/10 at 01:54:04:

It shouldn't be a problem for us to go over transpositions within the text of games. Many Everyman Chess Series do this, so I see no reason we cannot.

Thanks for your input; your comments are appreciated.

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #60 - 10/10/10 at 06:00:35
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 10/09/10 at 17:52:04:
Ankit Gupta wrote on 10/09/10 at 15:23:42:
We have not finalized line choices yet, and that is the input that we mainly want from the public. To ensure we are familiar with all the recent ideas in the various positions, we have preliminarily analyzed all lines for Black, but we will only emphasize one line per White's choices in the book.

In regards to your first question, after 5. Nxe5, we are leaning towards 5...Nd7 (which also unfortunately has the "forced" draw of 6. Nxf7). Would people prefer we instead give the 5...Bd6 line because it avoids the draw (even though it has other drawbacks)? Maybe if we could get a general poll on this, it would give us a better view on what people want.

And in regards to your second question, we are leaning towards Nc6 followed by Nb4. It is currently being played the most at the top level, and therefore, seems like the logical choice to suggest. That said, both GM Har-Zvi, and I decided it would be best to offer new ideas for Black to deviate earlier in that line (still after ...Nb4), and also deep within that line, so Black has multiple *new* options.

If people want us to cover other lines instead, please present the case for such, because line choices have not been finalized yet, and can be changed.

I am looking forward to the book.  I've always been attracted to the Petroff but have only been an occasional dabbler.  So what would I like to see?   

In the 3.d4 line, I would like to see 5..Nd7.  After 6.Nxd7 Bxd7 7.0-0 I like having the option of 7..Bd6 (transposing to the 5..Bd6 6.0-0 Nd7 line) or 7..Qh4.  At the top level, I take it that 7..Bd6 is considered better, but at amateur level 7..Qh4 can lead to a livelier game with opposite side castling.  It gives you a chance to try to mix things up when you need to.   

Maybe the main lines after 7..Qh4 are theoretically +/=, but I don't think it matters as much at amateur level.  If, for example, you consider a game like Anand-Ivanchuk, Linares 1993, Anand knows how to win this position with the two bishops and the pawn for the exchange.  At club level, I bet Black wins this as often or even more often than White.

I confess, though, that I don't pay that much attention to 3.d4 because it doesn't come up that often in my occassional Petroff games.  Whichever you choose, I hope you will comment in the book on why 3.d4 has fallen out of favor.  Is it simply fashion or has White (other than Tiviakov) just given up trying to play it for a win?

In the 3.Nxe5 line, I would like to see 6..Nc6/6..Be7 and 8..Nb4.  It's by far the main line at the moment.  Is Marshall's 6..Bd6 playable?   The old 6..Nc6, 7..Bg4 line has looked shaky to me since that K-K game where Kasparov chased Karpov's Queen to a6.  And, for some reason that I can't quite remember at the moment, I think that 6..Be7, 8..Bg4 is under pressure.  

But this then is a problem I have with the Petroff because in the 8..Nb4 9.Be2 line, I think that I would prefer to play the White side after 9..0-0 10.Nc3 Bf5.  Those c3-d4 pawns look a little too mobile for my taste  (and I can tell you that its dispiriting when White plants a piece on d6 for the rest of the game).  So I hope you will discuss how to play against these pawns and show that Black is OK here.  Also, after 15.Bf4, it alsways feels wrong to have to play 15..Rc8.  Is Karpov's 15..Bd6 playable?

But what I'd really like to see, if you can make it work, is  ..Be6, either at move 9 or 10.  I saw GM Har-Zvi's video on ICC where he looked at 10..Be6 followed by ..c5, and while I have not analyzed it yet, it looked like something that I would be happy to try.  So again I hope you will cover these alternatives thoroughly.  There is really little out there on them.

As for the rest of the book, I assume it will be 5..c5! against the Cochrane, that there will be a good line against the Nimzo after Nxc3, and I would echo a prior comment that we really do need some suggestions for how to win again 5.Qe2 and 5.d3.  Then we can play the Petroff as our #1 defense even in must win situations against lower-rated players. 

I also think that it would help to have a historical overview as to how the opening has developed and changed.  It seems that, after 8..Nb4, everyone used to take on d5 until Karpov played Be2 and, after that, it really became a different and more complicated opening.

Oh, and in case you still care, consider this another vote to keep it just a Petroff book.

Good luck finishing the book and thanks for asking!

Smiley

edited

Thanks for your comments. We'll look into them.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #59 - 10/10/10 at 01:54:04
Post Tools

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #58 - 10/09/10 at 21:38:36
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 10/08/10 at 05:16:59:
Larry Kaufman in The Chess Advantage in Black and White shows Black is at least = in all lines.

In that case a book on the Petrov doesn't have to cover the KG. That would be a waste of paper.

Ankit Gupta wrote on 10/09/10 at 03:26:03:
The more I think about it (and GM Har-Zvi tends to agree with this) adding "Anti-Petroff" material will seemingly detract from the themes and ideas we are trying to illustrate in the various Petroff chapters.

What you guys could do is discuss the pro's and cons of various transpositions. For instance 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Nc3 is exactly the same as 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nxe4 4.Nf3. If it's desirable to include this in a Petrov-repertoire will depend on 4.Qh5.
For the opposite reason it will not be handy for a Petrov player to chose 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6. In the end your book will give a few recommendations and leave the decision and further research to the reader. This will keep the chapter fairly short as well.

Anonymous3 wrote on 10/09/10 at 04:23:12:
Including only lines that will be somewhat stylistically similar to the Petroff sems like a complete cop out to me.

In other words, in the Petrov book you only want to see lines covered that are preferred by you. I am sure the two authors have a broader audience in mind.

Ankit Gupta wrote on 10/09/10 at 15:09:26:
This will be my last post in regards to the King's Gambit in this forum.

Given the subject of this thread it's already one too much, but interested as I am in the KG I am very grateful to you.  Wink

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #57 - 10/09/10 at 17:52:04
Post Tools
Ankit Gupta wrote on 10/09/10 at 15:23:42:
We have not finalized line choices yet, and that is the input that we mainly want from the public. To ensure we are familiar with all the recent ideas in the various positions, we have preliminarily analyzed all lines for Black, but we will only emphasize one line per White's choices in the book.

In regards to your first question, after 5. Nxe5, we are leaning towards 5...Nd7 (which also unfortunately has the "forced" draw of 6. Nxf7). Would people prefer we instead give the 5...Bd6 line because it avoids the draw (even though it has other drawbacks)? Maybe if we could get a general poll on this, it would give us a better view on what people want.

And in regards to your second question, we are leaning towards Nc6 followed by Nb4. It is currently being played the most at the top level, and therefore, seems like the logical choice to suggest. That said, both GM Har-Zvi, and I decided it would be best to offer new ideas for Black to deviate earlier in that line (still after ...Nb4), and also deep within that line, so Black has multiple *new* options.

If people want us to cover other lines instead, please present the case for such, because line choices have not been finalized yet, and can be changed.

I am looking forward to the book.  I've always been attracted to the Petroff but have only been an occasional dabbler.  So what would I like to see?   

In the 3.d4 line, I would like to see 5..Nd7.  After 6.Nxd7 Bxd7 7.0-0 I like having the option of 7..Bd6 (transposing to the 5..Bd6 6.0-0 Nd7 line) or 7..Qh4.  At the top level, I take it that 7..Bd6 is considered better, but at amateur level 7..Qh4 can lead to a livelier game with opposite side castling.  It gives you a chance to try to mix things up when you need to.   

Maybe the main lines after 7..Qh4 are theoretically +/=, but I don't think it matters as much at amateur level.  If, for example, you consider a game like Anand-Ivanchuk, Linares 1993, Anand knows how to win this position with the two bishops and the pawn for the exchange.  At club level, I bet Black wins this as often or even more often than White.

I confess, though, that I don't pay that much attention to 3.d4 because it doesn't come up that often in my occassional Petroff games.  Whichever you choose, I hope you will comment in the book on why 3.d4 has fallen out of favor.  Is it simply fashion or has White (other than Tiviakov) just given up trying to play it for a win?

In the 3.Nxe5 line, I would like to see 6..Nc6/6..Be7 and 8..Nb4.  It's by far the main line at the moment.  Is Marshall's 6..Bd6 playable?   The old 6..Nc6, 7..Bg4 line has looked shaky to me since that K-K game where Kasparov chased Karpov's Queen to a6.  And, for some reason that I can't quite remember at the moment, I think that 6..Be7, 8..Bg4 is under pressure.  

But this then is a problem I have with the Petroff because in the 8..Nb4 9.Be2 line, I think that I would prefer to play the White side after 9..0-0 10.Nc3 Bf5.  Those c3-d4 pawns look a little too mobile for my taste  (and I can tell you that its dispiriting when White plants a piece on d6 for the rest of the game).  So I hope you will discuss how to play against these pawns and show that Black is OK here.  Also, after 15.Bf4, it alsways feels wrong to have to play 15..Rc8.  Is Karpov's 15..Bd6 playable?

But what I'd really like to see, if you can make it work, is  ..Be6, either at move 9 or 10.  I saw GM Har-Zvi's video on ICC where he looked at 10..Be6 followed by ..c5, and while I have not analyzed it yet, it looked like something that I would be happy to try.  So again I hope you will cover these alternatives thoroughly.  There is really little out there on them.

As for the rest of the book, I assume it will be 5..c5! against the Cochrane, that there will be a good line against the Nimzo after Nxc3, and I would echo a prior comment that we really do need some suggestions for how to win again 5.Qe2 and 5.d3.  Then we can play the Petroff as our #1 defense even in must win situations against lower-rated players. 

I also think that it would help to have a historical overview as to how the opening has developed and changed.  It seems that, after 8..Nb4, everyone used to take on d5 until Karpov played Be2 and, after that, it really became a different and more complicated opening.

Oh, and in case you still care, consider this another vote to keep it just a Petroff book.

Good luck finishing the book and thanks for asking!

Smiley

edited
« Last Edit: 10/09/10 at 23:42:27 by LeeRoth »  

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 10/09/10 at 15:40:00
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 10/09/10 at 12:19:20:
To me the real problem for the practical player with Black is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.Qe2. Surely it´s possible to outplay a weaker opponent, but it´s difficult and hardly much fun.

What do you intend to suggest in your book here?

A lot of openings have fairly drawish lines; and if White really wants a draw in many openings it's not very possible to avoid playing rather equals/balanced endgames from resulting lines. Even aggressive opening choices have this type of issue (QGA Exchange Variation, etc).

However, we will try to illustrate plans Black can attempt to employ in the resulting Queenless middlegame/endgame to play on.

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 10/09/10 at 15:33:18
Post Tools
ANDREW BRETT wrote on 10/09/10 at 12:45:20:
I think that this book is timely as it's about time that the supreme anti 1e4 defence had a book on it.
One question 5nc3  everyone plays nxc3 but is nf6 so bad ?

We will emphasize Nxc3. Nf6, while being a line, we felt was not the best approach for Black.

So to answer your question, Nf6 is not bad; it's certainly a viable option for Black, we just felt that it is better we cover the more mainstream line of Nxc3.

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 10/09/10 at 15:28:37
Post Tools
endali wrote on 10/09/10 at 08:47:57:
I'd like to apologize to Mr. Gupta on behalf of a few of the rest of us. You are clearly looking for input on your book on the Petroff, and there is no reason for you to be accosted for failing to address the King's Gambit and the Goring to the satisfaction of certain posters. You should be applauded for seeking the input of your target audience in such a fashion.

I have the same questions as Slates posted above, actually.

My only request is regarding the Cochrane gambit - at amateur level, this is one of the most common white responses to the Petroff that I face. And it's rather difficult to find high-level examples to use as a model for Black. If you could cover this line in some depth and somehow get me to feel confident when faced with the Cochrane, I would be forever grateful. At the moment, I'm waaaay more scared of the Cochrane than I am of the slight endgame edge that White can get in certain main lines. And I think I'm speaking for many amateur Petroff players.  Smiley

What we decided to do for lines such as the Cochrane (and in general; there's some other lines White sacrifices a Queen for two minor pieces and pawns and the initiative, etc), is make sure we present all of White's main ideas in a clear fashion, and thematically how Black should handle these ideas. Direct, line by line, analysis here while also given, does not entirely help a reader understand what to do. So, instead, we will cover detailed analysis, and then have a summary section at the end of said chapter, with White's ideas, Black's ideas, followed by a short segment of 5-6 exercises to make sure the reader understands those ideas.

That is really the way we've approached every chapter/section, etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo