Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Should non-2.Nf3 lines be covered in PTP?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes; transpositions chapter    
  3 (11.5%)
Yes; cover all key lines briefly    
  3 (11.5%)
Yes; handle in different chapters    
  3 (11.5%)
Yes; cover a few lines in detail    
  2 (7.7%)
No; this is Play the Petroff    
  12 (46.2%)
No; recommend other sources    
  3 (11.5%)

Total votes: 26
« Last Modified by: TN on: 10/12/10 at 12:56:00 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C42-C43: Play the Petroff by Har-Zvi and Gupta (Read 134280 times)
Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Play the Petroff by Ronen Har-Zvi and Ankit Gupta
Reply #8 - 10/01/10 at 15:16:30
Post Tools
The book is a repertoire for Black, so we are suggesting lines for Black against White's various choices/options, in as clear and conceptualized manner as possible, while trying to inject new ideas into current theory (from Black's POV).

I hope that answers your question.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 09/30/10 at 19:49:50
Post Tools
Are you guys going to just try to keep reviving this for the Black point of view or also try to objectively resuscitate the white point of view by reviving 1. e4?

IP Logged

Ankit Gupta
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/30/10 at 18:09:50
Post Tools
We've made a pretty big effort to make sure the book will be accessible to players of all strengths.

One of the reasons GM Har-Zvi and I collaborated on this book together is because I am a student of his, and in that respect we can offer a unique perspective to readers in the book -- that of a student and a teacher. Every line in every chapter has/will be looked at by both of us.

We went through every recent Petroff book (before even starting on this book) and certainly made strides to solve any problems posited by anti-Petroff books (Beating the Petroff, etc) for lines we suggest with Black.

More than that, we are trying to keep ideas clear and the amount of prose adequate so players can understand the concepts and themes in the positions/lines we suggest. To that end, we will provide problems (to make sure the reader understands the positional/tactical/overall concepts per chapter) with a chapter summary at the end of every chapter as well.

That said, we have incorporated a lot of original analysis (and are still doing so), and inserted new ideas, that will be useful for very strong players as well.

If there are any lines people suggest we look at, please feel free to post, and we'll definitely look through them. I'll certainly make sure GM Har-Zvi hears of them as well if I notice something of interest posted here.

Suggestions are always appreciated.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 09/20/10 at 22:57:48
Post Tools
Reverse wrote on 09/20/10 at 22:19:29:
there are quite a few aggressive lines, some where black sac's a 'b' pawn or creates an opposite castling position with 0-0-0.

Sure, I also have had some interest in them. Until I realized that something like 9.Bxe4 iso 9.c3 is much less inspiring - how am I going to beat a weaker opponent with a line like that?
Btw 11.Nfd2 iso 11.Nbd2 or 11.Qxb7 has netted White a score of 82%, so it might be wise to pay some attention to that move.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/20/10 at 22:19:29
Post Tools
I bought the Raetsky Petroff book when it came out and I was rated 1600. It was a little heavy for me  back then. I have been studying it lately, i.e. 5 years later and 679 points higher rated.  I never realized how aggressive black could play in some of the mainlines. I know the stereotype of the petroff player is one of stodgy, positional nature, however there are quite a few aggressive lines, some where black sac's a 'b' pawn or creates an opposite castling position with 0-0-0.  Take a look at some of shirov's ideas in this opening for sacrifices of the 'b' pawn.  There are quite a few games where black could 0-0-0 to spice things up quite a bit.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 d6 4. Nf3 Nxe4 5. d4 d5 6. Bd3 Be7 7. O-O Nc6 8.
Re1 Bg4 9. c3 f5 10. Qb3 Qd6 11. Nbd2
(11. Qxb7 Rb8 12. Qa6 Bxf3 13. gxf3 O-O
14. fxe4 fxe4 15. Bf1 Rxf2 16. Bg2 Rbf8 17. Be3 Bh4 18. Nd2 Qg6 19. Bxf2 Rxf2 20. Qc8+ Nd8 21. Qh3 Rxd2 A recent game of mine from a weekend swiss) 11... O-O-O

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/12/10 at 14:25:10
Post Tools
Didn't Har-Zvi have a series of opening videos on ICC covering the Petroff?

It will be interesting to see whether Har-Zvi recommends the sharper lines for Black, such as 6...Nc6 7.0-0 Bg4, or sticks to the most solid variations, e.g. 6...Bd6 7.0-0 0-0 8.c4 c6.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

endali
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/12/10 at 14:21:21
Post Tools
http://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Play_the_Petroff

strange color scheme. but waaaaaay better than that ugly Raetsky book.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/10/10 at 14:30:56
Post Tools
Quote:
Äntligen!!

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

C42-C43: Play the Petroff by Har-Zvi and Gupta
09/09/10 at 21:34:05
Post Tools
There is a new book on the Petroff announced for 2011.

Quote:
The Petroff Defence is a world-class opening, renowned for its tremendous reliability. It has stood the test of time and enjoys a reputation for being virtually bullet-proof. It's no coincidence that the Petroff is favoured by such greats as Anatoly Karpov, Vladimir Kramnik and the current World Champion, Vishy Anand. It has always enjoyed great support at grandmaster level, and it is becoming increasingly popular at club and tournament level too.

In this book, opening experts Ronen Har-Zvi and Ankit Gupta provide a sound repertoire for Black based on the main lines. As well as presenting state-of-the-art theoretical coverage, they also explain in detail the key plans and tactical ideas for both sides. This book tells you everything you need to know about the playing the Petroff.

◦A repertoire for Black in a world-class opening
◦Packed with novelties and critical analysis
◦Contains many carefully selected exercises.
« Last Edit: 07/17/11 at 02:49:17 by Smyslov_Fan »  

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo