Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Bird's Defense (Read 3843 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Bird's Defense
Reply #8 - 09/27/10 at 14:07:25
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 09/25/10 at 00:15:13:
Bibs wrote on 09/24/10 at 03:13:37:
Buy the book. Read it. Find out.
Your constant asking members to research for you is a  tedious leeching.

This time Bibs speaks for me as well. This is the reason I systemetically refuse to answer Anon.'s questions like the one in the OP.
Excellent advise by Alias.

Fundamentally I agree with Bibs, especially since it's become sort of a pattern from Anonymous, but I think that there must be some degree of curiosity that people here can express about the contents of a book.

Maybe a "general chess" thread should be opened on this question, the answer to which would clarify what moderators should do in these cases.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 09/25/10 at 00:15:13
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/24/10 at 03:13:37:

This time Bibs speaks for me as well. This is the reason I systemetically refuse to answer Anon.'s questions like the one in the OP.
Excellent advise by Alias.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 09/24/10 at 19:22:05
Post Tools
The post on d3 in the Ponziani got different opinions which makes it good enough for a post right there. The e-book says the endgame after 4...dxe4 5 dxe4 Qxd1+ 6 Kxd1 is slightly better for White. TN and myself thought it was slightly better for Black and BPaulsen, Markovich, and SWJediknight thought it was =.

Strong players not referencing many relevant books on the opening they are writing about is one of the biggest weaknesses in a lot of opening books. Here is a part of John Watson's review of GM Repertoire 1: 1 d4 Volume 1. "I made a comment in the last column about authors' inadequate use of external sources, and I think that constitute a weakness of this work. First, there is hardly any bibliography (only 7 books for such a massive subject). Okay, Avrukh is an extremely strong player who does his own work, so it's not surprising that he trusts his own take on the recommended lines over some lower-rated author's. But my own feeling is that even the most intelligent analysis of modern chess openings benefits from others' hard work, and in fact leading players testify to finding new ideas in opening books on a regular basis."

I don't see how I was rude to Prie. Prie is the one that is mean the way he criticizes books like Win with the London System.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #5 - 09/24/10 at 12:16:47
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 09/24/10 at 09:56:03:
Anon: You seem to focus on the wrong things. Learn opening principles. Learn the plans for both sides of the openings you play. Learn typical tactics and move order issues of the openings you play. Get out and play some tournaments.

You seem to spend far too much on irrelevant positions. d3 in the Ponziani and h5 in the Bird are not what you should focus on. SOS and DW lines are mostly untested lines which are !? at best. Have a brief look at them and move on to more important stuff.

You should spend much less time worrying (and asking us) about repertoire suggestions. Also stop worrying about the bibliographies in opening books. Strong players don't use many books. They have a database and Rybka and make their own book. If by chance a new book misses a certain line, don't make too much of it. Focus instead on what's in the book.

Bibs is usually very helpful with his comments here. They're almost always spot on.

I suggest that you use a milder tone in your postings, Anon. Banned at QC blog and annoying several members here. Your comments about Marin and Prie were quite rude.

I can't even add anything. So solid.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/24/10 at 09:56:03
Post Tools
Anon: You seem to focus on the wrong things. Learn opening principles. Learn the plans for both sides of the openings you play. Learn typical tactics and move order issues of the openings you play. Get out and play some tournaments.

You seem to spend far too much on irrelevant positions. d3 in the Ponziani and h5 in the Bird are not what you should focus on. SOS and DW lines are mostly untested lines which are !? at best. Have a brief look at them and move on to more important stuff.

You should spend much less time worrying (and asking us) about repertoire suggestions. Also stop worrying about the bibliographies in opening books. Strong players don't use many books. They have a database and Rybka and make their own book. If by chance a new book misses a certain line, don't make too much of it. Focus instead on what's in the book.

Bibs is usually very helpful with his comments here. They're almost always spot on.

I suggest that you use a milder tone in your postings, Anon. Banned at QC blog and annoying several members here. Your comments about Marin and Prie were quite rude.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/24/10 at 07:09:56
Post Tools
I think Bib's was just waiting for someone to ask what's in a book. He seems to love to tell people not to ask what's in a book. He doesn't seem to ever positively contribute to this forum.

Bibs, you constantly asking people not to ask what's in books is tedious leeching! You've made your opionion on the matter clear enough times already so please stop beating it to death!

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 09/24/10 at 05:39:45
Post Tools
Anonymous3 wrote on 09/24/10 at 02:51:14:
From looking at the contents of "Secrets of Opening Surprises 12", I see that Glenn Flear looks at the line 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 Nd4 4 Nxd4 exd4 5 0-0/Bc5 h5. Does he conclude that Black can equalize with 5...h5?

Didn't you hear? 5...h5 is a forced win for Black.

That's why 5.Bc4 is stronger.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 09/24/10 at 03:13:37
Post Tools

Such a forum can work as a social constructivist enterprise with members' humble give as well as take.

IP Logged

Anonymous3

I Love ChessPublishing!

Bird's Defense
09/24/10 at 02:51:14
Post Tools
From looking at the contents of "Secrets of Opening Surprises 12", I see that Glenn Flear looks at the line 1 e4 e5 2 Nf3 Nc6 3 Bb5 Nd4 4 Nxd4 exd4 5 0-0/Bc4 h5. Does he conclude that Black can equalize with 5...h5?
« Last Edit: 09/24/10 at 06:34:42 by Anonymous3 »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo