Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anti-Sicilians update (Read 18084 times)
Seeley

Re: Anti-Sicilians update
Reply #13 - 10/07/10 at 12:54:14
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 10/07/10 at 12:17:50:
How about promising to pay them, but not send any money, and when they complain, promise again?!  Grin

I like that idea!  Grin

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #12 - 10/07/10 at 12:17:50
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 10/07/10 at 07:09:52:
If authors warn me in advance that they will not be able to do their update, then it is easy enough to get a substitute, but when they say they will send it and don't, then keep promising it next week, but it never comes ...  Angry
There is a bonus system for on-time updates.

How about promising to pay them, but not send any money, and when they complain, promise again?!  Grin

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #11 - 10/07/10 at 07:53:12
Post Tools
If they won't get the bonus I think the money should be refunded to the subscribers. The product that is payed for in advance hasn't been delivered.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #10 - 10/07/10 at 07:09:52
Post Tools
If authors warn me in advance that they will not be able to do their update, then it is easy enough to get a substitute, but when they say they will send it and don't, then keep promising it next week, but it never comes ...  Angry
There is a bonus system for on-time updates.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #9 - 10/06/10 at 21:10:48
Post Tools
Lou_Cyber wrote on 10/06/10 at 16:01:02:
First goal should be to ensure punctual delivery, perhaps with incentives like a bonus pay, which is earned if x updates are delivered on time.

I vaguely remember reading in another thread that Tony has some system of penalising lateness. A bonus system such as that suggested by Lou_Cyber sounds like a good way of turning that system on its head, encouraging punctuality by incentivising promptness rather than punishing lateness.

But still it is better to wait for good updates than to download a sloppy one on time.

Any professional worthy of the name really ought to be able to produce work of an acceptable professional standard even when up against a tight deadline – which, let's be frank, should never be an issue with these updates, as they are due once a month, presumably on a fixed date. There's no reason why they shouldn't be prepared early in the cycle rather than left until the last moment. OK, they might lose a little topicality, but surely this would be preferable to not having any updates at all.

Hacker has hit the nail on the head: it is the paying subscribers who are put out by this. Two contributors to this thread have already indicated that their subscriptions have expired and implied that they won’t be renewing, which really ought to set the alarm bells ringing at Chess Publishing HQ. What I find most surprising of all is that no official explanation or apology has been offered, nor have we been given any assurance that these updates – which are now two-and-a-half months behind – will ever appear at all. I think Chess Publishing is a great idea and I want it to be successful, but this episode isn't a good advertisement for what it has to offer.

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #8 - 10/06/10 at 19:53:07
Post Tools
The delays must be a nuisance to Tony, as they might deter possible subscribers and actually lose money because subscriptions won´t be renewed on time.

Stupid me. I thought it was a nuisance to the subscribers. Angry

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 10/06/10 at 19:41:10
Post Tools
Guys Tony has made clear that if you expire and they are late... you will STILL get your update. This happened with many in the KID with Golubev.

IP Logged

Lou_Cyber

"I didn´t understand that.
It must be true."

Reply #6 - 10/06/10 at 16:01:02
Post Tools
Reserve authors only help after the delay is caused, and they might not be too happy with the sudden task of taking over a section for one month.

First goal should be to ensure punctual delivery, perhaps with incentives like a bonus pay, which is earned if x updates are delivered on time.

The substitute or guest authors are still a good idea. Some updates relied on occasional input from guest writers, and usually they were quite good! Guest authors gives writers the chance to take a month off (or to play the Olympiad without being bothered).

They might be very useful in covering rare lines, if they happen to be an expert in these lines (TalJechin, I wouldn´t mind one or two KG specials from you!).

But still it is better to wait for good updates than to download a sloppy one on time. Quality must be the key issue. How about an annual poll on the best author, with the chance of eternal fame (and perhaps a cheque)?

The delays must be a nuisance to Tony, as they might deter possible subscribers and actually lose money because subscriptions won´t be renewed on time.

If you try, you may lose. If you don´t try, you have lost.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #5 - 10/06/10 at 12:42:42
Post Tools
Maybe it could be an idea to have a reserve at each section, so that each writer has one main section and is reserve on 1 or 2 others?

It would probably help vs missed deadlines as that would not need to happen and subscribers may benefit from getting a second opinion occasionally...

IP Logged

TicklyTim

can I take that back,
please...

Reply #4 - 10/05/10 at 11:49:12
Post Tools
I'm in the same boat. Subscription just expired. Shame to miss a few as I quite like this section.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #3 - 10/05/10 at 01:34:26
Post Tools
Seeley wrote on 10/04/10 at 23:09:53:
Any sign of this yet? It's October now and we're still waiting for the August update. Missing one monthly deadline is at best a bit sloppy; being so late that a second deadline passes before even the first has been met seems deeply unfair to those of us who are paying for these updates.

Agree. Very poor show.
My subscription has expired - am owed a few updates. I would expect these to be made available as have been paid for.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #2 - 10/04/10 at 23:09:53
Post Tools
Any sign of this yet? It's October now and we're still waiting for the August update. Missing one monthly deadline is at best a bit sloppy; being so late that a second deadline passes before even the first has been met seems deeply unfair to those of us who are paying for these updates.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #1 - 09/26/10 at 09:23:02
Post Tools
I keep pestering John about it, and now he tells me that he will do them on his free days during the Olympiad. Undecided

IP Logged

satrancteorisi
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Anti-Sicilians update
09/26/10 at 08:05:10
Post Tools
I guess it has been almost two months since the last update is done.Is there any information when  will it be available?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo