Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Beating unusual responses to 1. e4 (Read 18347 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Beating unusual responses to 1. e4
Reply #22 - 11/08/10 at 14:24:24
Post Tools
Yes, by "theoretical" I meant not just how much theory there is, but also the risk taken, and how critical it is to remember every move order detail.

About the 4.Nf3 lines giving White a " slight advantage that means nothing for the average club player", most club player games are decided in the middlegame and endgame anyway. And it's still better to enter the middlegame slightly better than slightly worse.

When I tried to learn the Alekhine with Black I found 4.Nf3 the most annoying line because it's harder to get active counterplay, and I bet I'm not alone in feeling that way. Such psychological factors also count for something in chess.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 11/08/10 at 12:08:08
Post Tools
But its also hugely less risky - you can sit and play the 4 Nf3 stuff without knowing much and you'll do all right. Doing that in the 4 pawns you can lose horribly!

Given that most club players are meeting the opening once every few years at most with no warning that its coming.....

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #20 - 11/08/10 at 06:20:32
Post Tools
Why do you say that? Play the Be2 variation (before Nf3) against the ...Be7 and the c5+Ng5 variation against the ...Qd7. It's just a few lines so far and you have covered about the 80% of the lines you'll meet OTB. Also the ...g6 lines can be met with Cox's h3+Bf4 plan and it remains only some sidelines with these ...Bf5 systems or ...c5+e6 etc which can be easily refuted. I really believe that it's much less work for White than the Modern/Classical variation and much more critical. White in the 4PA goes for the kill while after these positional Nf3 variations he goes for this slight advantage that means nothing for the average club layer.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #19 - 11/07/10 at 23:25:41
Post Tools
The Alekhine 4 Pawns is too theoretical for repertoire books, that's why it's never recommended in them. I predict yet another Exchange repertoire, though it would be nice to see 4.Nf3 (as in Collins' White repertoire book). The 4 pawns is a strange choice for non-professionals anyway; why spend that much time learning lines you will get to use so rarely? Yet I must admit I have played it myself; the lines are so fascinating I couldn't resist studying them...

Against the Pirc/Modern there are many dangerous tries; Greet is really spoilt for choice there.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #18 - 11/07/10 at 22:16:51
Post Tools
I'd recommend the 4pa against the Alekhine and the Nc3+Be3 systems against the Pirc/Modern. The Scandinavian can dealt with numerous ideas that provide only a slight advantage. It would be interesting if the author plays it safe here or try to find something a bi more ambitious.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #17 - 11/07/10 at 21:10:26
Post Tools
Enough about book titles, let's discuss the chess content  Wink

Here would be my recommendations against each of Black's suboptimal options:

1...d6: Austrian Attack with 6.Bd3
1...g6: Austrian Attack
1...Nf6: 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.Nf3
1...d5: 2.ed5 Qd5 3.Nf3, 2...Nf6 3.Bb5
1...Nc6: 2.Nf3
1...b6: 2.d4 Bb7 3.Bd3 and Qe2
1...a6: d4/Bd3/Nf3/c3

I suspect the Pirc/Modern coverage will take up almost half the book.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 11/07/10 at 11:49:05
Post Tools
Cheesy And it took you over a month to get over your disappointment?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #15 - 11/07/10 at 10:22:49
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/05/10 at 22:38:20:
Antillian, you are presenting a false dichotomy. As far as I know free people in a free world have a third option: not buying stuff they dislike. As a joke it is about the most unoriginal one I know. I hear it every time when I criticize capitalism, which is at least 30 years.

Gee, you hurt my feelings. I thought I was a shoe in for a nomination for the Prijs der Nederlandse Letteren when I wrote it.  Wink

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Merovingian
YaBB Newbies

The question is, do *you*
know why you are here?

Reply #14 - 11/06/10 at 23:29:29
Post Tools
"The Space Advantage: GM George Bush's Gambit Guide to the Queen's Gambit and other Expansionist Positions"

"Automatic Kalashnikov-The only weapon you'll need in the Jihad with the black pieces!"

I loved the Najdorf grow-a-pair concept.

Until then!

You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

IP Logged

Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 10/05/10 at 22:59:39
Post Tools
I think if I worked for everyman chess or was going to write a book, then i would use this thread's discussion of annoying book titles as inspiration.

I would like to see some more playful titles for those opening books, such as:

"The Initiative, who needs it: a guide to the Alekhine's Defense"

"PussyFoot across the board: a guide to girly openings like the london and reti"

"GROW A PAIR: play the Najdorf"

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #12 - 10/05/10 at 22:46:57
Post Tools
Do you know what the actual process is for deciding upon a book title, how much time it takes, and when it's decided upon? Do you know what the ratio of real work to work related to these "cheap marketing tricks" is?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 10/05/10 at 22:38:20
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 10/05/10 at 17:36:56:
Perhaps I'm a slightly biased opinion, but I don't see what the title of the book has to do with whether or not the content inside is worth reading.

Possibly I am biased as well but in my experience the more attention is spend to cheap marketing tricks the less attention is spend to the quality of the content - in general, so save your time mentioning the exceptions.
Antillian, you are presenting a false dichotomy. As far as I know free people in a free world have a third option: not buying stuff they dislike. As a joke it is about the most unoriginal one I know. I hear it every time when I criticize capitalism, which is at least 30 years.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #10 - 10/05/10 at 21:00:38
Post Tools
I find many of the titles amusing, but the blurbs far more. Of course, it is all marketing, but such is life in a capitalist world. I guess one could move to North Korea if it bothers one so much.  Grin

One of my favourite opening books was was of the most mistitled ever: "An Explosive Opening Repertiore for Black." Hardly, explosive, but a wonderful book nonetheless.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #9 - 10/05/10 at 17:36:56
Post Tools
Perhaps I'm a slightly biased opinion, but I don't see what the title of the book has to do with whether or not the content inside is worth reading. Logically, saying that you won't buy a book because the cover has an adjective on it is fairly idiotic. Perhaps it's less diplomatic than saying "Play the King's Indian" or just "The King's Indian for Black", but I'd still buy "The Killer King's Indian" if the author was great. It sounds silly, but with the huge amount of opening books that enter the market per year, how many titles can you really create that have "The King's Indian" in it without spicing them up?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 10/05/10 at 16:45:57
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 10/05/10 at 13:43:14:
I don't mind the "Beating..." titles so much. They're much better than the Killer/Ferocius/etc repertoire titles.

I do mind the Killer/Ferocious/etc. titles as well.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo