Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How Do You Manage Your Opening Repertoire? (Read 31404 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: How Do You Manage Your Opening Repertoire?
Reply #32 - 10/10/11 at 16:49:30
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 10/18/10 at 00:56:30:
I use ChessBase10, keeping separate databases for my White repertoire and each of my Black defenses.  The ChessBase programs have been my mainstays for years, but the repertoire functions are limited, and I'm thinking of trying something new.

Before I make the leap, I understand that ChessBase 11 has an improved way of taking care of your repertoire, but I haven't seen an explanation of why or how its better.  Does anyone know?  I'd be particulary interested to hear whether the "add to repertoire" feature has been improved as it seems to put games in odd places (and, since it can't recognize trnspositions, you really need to be careful using it).  

If I do buy something new, the leading contender would probably be BookUp or as it now seems to be called the Chess Openings Wizard.  Does anyone use this program, and is it worth getting/using in addition to or instead of ChessBase? 

Or do you do something completely different?  I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has a better way to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Has anybody looked at this?

I use the Repertoire function in CB11 once in a while, but I haven't built any repertoire yet. I might switch to CPT for thie purpose.

IP Logged

rukh

Reply #31 - 01/27/11 at 22:57:28
Post Tools
It doesn't seem to be a good idea to merge sub-repertoires in CPT (at least without a backup). I tried it, got an error message, and both sub-repertoires were deleted.  Angry

IP Logged

Carld

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 12/16/10 at 03:38:35
Post Tools
>How Do You Manage Your Opening Repertoire?

Poorly.  Grin

Seriously, I wish I could afford Chessbase, but $200 for the starter package, and $300 or $400 for the packages I'd really like to have is just way outside my financial means right now. Has anyone tried maintaining a repertoire in something like SCID or ChessDB, and then training in CPT?

IP Logged

Jon12345
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 12/10/10 at 16:57:53
Post Tools
Nothing beats CPT for drilling your openings into memory. It is action orientated where you have to repeat the moves and tells you where you go wrong. For me, its the best there is.

IP Logged

snits

Reply #28 - 12/06/10 at 22:31:01
Post Tools
Anyone using the repertoire database functionality in CB10? When I try to use the 'in repertoire' checkbox in the search mask, it returns no results for a database that returns results when I use file->new->generate repertoire. After trying to use 'in repertoire' in the search mask, all of my searches return nothing until I restart chessbase (with or without 'in repertoire' checked). I have reproduced the behavior on 2 different Win 7 64-bit systems, and a XP 32-bit laptop. Using the same databases within CB9 the 'in repertoire' checkbox in the search mask works just fine. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong in CB10, or if this is a bug.

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #27 - 10/31/10 at 05:16:16
Post Tools
HotBox wrote on 10/31/10 at 05:02:00:
I'm old school, and surprised by all the dedication and computer programs being used as mentioned in this thread. I just rely on my brain.

This is probably why I find building a solid repetoire to be such a taxing task. But I'm stubborn so I'll keep relying on the ol' noggin, because that's just how I roll.

Wink

You're in good company. Some of Alexander Vaisman's students (Brodsky, Stripunsky, Berelovich, Schmuter) only started studying modern opening theory once they were already international masters.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

HotBox
YaBB Newbies

Where.. are my pants?

Reply #26 - 10/31/10 at 05:02:00
Post Tools
I'm old school, and surprised by all the dedication and computer programs being used as mentioned in this thread. I just rely on my brain.

This is probably why I find building a solid repetoire to be such a taxing task. But I'm stubborn so I'll keep relying on the ol' noggin, because that's just how I roll.

Wink

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #25 - 10/23/10 at 21:28:18
Post Tools
There are a bunch of videos on the old/new features of CB 11 at the chessbase.com site below:

http://www.chessbase.com/shop/product.asp?pid=530&user= &coin=

It looks like a "inhouse" cleanup and improvement of some features.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #24 - 10/23/10 at 20:41:59
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 10/23/10 at 19:58:12:
@Stigma

Oh, I agree.  That part's fine.  But, if I'm understanding you right, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you still keep and maintain your repertoire in ChessBase.  In other words, when you get a bunch of new games, you're downloading them to ChessBase and putting them in your ChessBase database, then, when you need to review your lines for an upcoming game, you're moving your ChessBase database to CPT or COW to train yourself on it. 

So you're not using CPT or COW as an actual replacement for ChessBase;  i.e., you don't use CPT or COW as the place where you analyze lines or update them with each new batch of games.  It sounds like that work is still better done in ChessBase.  Is that right? 

Thanks.

Yes that's right. Chessbase is still my choice for analyzing and updating.

So far I've only really used CPT when I urgently needed to make sure I remembered some complex theoretical lines, typically the morning before a tournament game where I expect to use it.

Ideally I want to have most of my repertoire in CPT as well as in Chessbase, but that requires deciding what actually IS my repertoire! I jump around a bit too much, there are too many interesting openings...

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #23 - 10/23/10 at 19:58:12
Post Tools
@Stigma

Oh, I agree.  That part's fine.  But, if I'm understanding you right, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you still keep and maintain your repertoire in ChessBase.  In other words, when you get a bunch of new games, you're downloading them to ChessBase and putting them in your ChessBase database, then, when you need to review your lines for an upcoming game, you're moving your ChessBase database to CPT or COW to train yourself on it. 

So you're not using CPT or COW as an actual replacement for ChessBase;  i.e., you don't use CPT or COW as the place where you analyze lines or update them with each new batch of games.  It sounds like that work is still better done in ChessBase.  Is that right? 

Thanks.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #22 - 10/22/10 at 23:16:43
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 10/22/10 at 17:51:32:
This is exactly the issue I'm wrestling with.  I'm not seeing CPT or COW as a replacement for my ChessBase repertoire databases. 

I don't want to be rude, but what exactly is the issue? It's not that hard to run Chessbase, then open CPT or COW and import the lines when I need to memorize them really well. Might take me 30 seconds extra perhaps, compared to having it all in one program! No big deal in my opininon.

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #21 - 10/22/10 at 21:21:50
Post Tools
My experience makes me think that software like COW Pro is built to augment programs like CA or CB.

What I'd love to see is a table that compares similar or identical features of CA and CB.

I'd also like to know what CB intends with it latest update. Is it to improve already existing features or to take aim at the competition? My guess is they were busy cleaning up issues in their own house but if they are aiming at the rest of the market, what's up there?

Other than the online articles there have been only a few books, known to me, to address repertoire work:

Chess Software User's Guide ISBN 1 85744 284 9

How to Use Computers to Improve Your Chess ISBN 1 904600 02 6

Secrets of Practical Chess (p.167-219) ISBN 978 - 1 - 904600 - 70 - 1

Books not directly on the topic but closely related are:

Opening Preparation ISBN 0-7 134-7509-9

Winning Correspondence Chess ISBN 0-8050-4730-1

Chess For Tigers (p.24-25) ISBN 0-7134-8988-X

How to Build Your Chess Opening Repertoire ISBN 1 901983 89 7

Chess Training for Budding Champions (p.160-161) ISBN 1 901983 47 1

Hopefully others can add to this list or address some of the other points in this post. Thanks for your input.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #20 - 10/22/10 at 17:51:32
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 10/22/10 at 13:18:51:
I see CPT not mainly as a tool for developing a repertoire anyway, but for memorizing it. I prefer analysing in Chessbase. As long as you keep everything in .pgn format you can easily export new analysis from Chessbase or Chess Assistant into a CPT repertoire.

Mike Leahy, who develops the similar Chess Openings Wizard, also happily admits that the most efficient use of his program is in addition to, not instead of, a database program like Chessbase.

This is exactly the issue I'm wrestling with.  I'm not seeing CPT or COW as a replacement for my ChessBase repertoire databases. 

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #19 - 10/22/10 at 13:18:51
Post Tools
Reverse wrote on 10/22/10 at 13:07:51:
can you load an engine in chess position trainer for analysis? I assume you can, otherwise why would anyone use; analyzing openings is pretty important for rep upkeep.

Yes you can.

But as jmi said above, the current CPT 3 only supports Winboard, not UCI engines. The upcoming CPT 4 will have UCI support too.

I see CPT not mainly as a tool for developing a repertoire anyway, but for memorizing it. I prefer analysing in Chessbase. As long as you keep everything in .pgn format you can easily export new analysis from Chessbase or Chess Assistant into a CPT repertoire.

Mike Leahy, who develops the similar Chess Openings Wizard, also happily admits that the most efficient use of his program is in addition to, not instead of, a database program like Chessbase.

IP Logged

Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 10/22/10 at 13:07:51
Post Tools
can you load an engine in chess position trainer for analysis? I assume you can, otherwise why would anyone use; analyzing openings is pretty important for rep upkeep.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo