Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) GM Jan Gustafsson: The Marshall Attack (Read 39692 times)
Mortal Games
God Member

Re: GM Jan Gustafsson: The Marshall Attack
Reply #9 - 11/09/10 at 15:11:42
Post Tools
Quote:
I am sorry but could you enlighten me on what this Bouwmeester method is? I haven't heard of it.

It´s a refreshment technique for studying files or chapters. The most important is not to memorize what someone cannot understand but understanding needs some memorization too. Anand and others use this technique or other to refresh their memories with massive amounts of theory.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 11/09/10 at 01:55:45
Post Tools
trw wrote on 11/09/10 at 00:36:21:
I am sorry but could you enlighten me on what this Bouwmeester method is? I haven't heard of it.

That's nothing to apologize for, as Bouwmeester explained his method in a book of 30 years ago - in Dutch.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

jmi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 11/09/10 at 00:57:56
Post Tools
trw wrote on 11/09/10 at 00:36:21:

There's a brief explanation here :

http://www.chessedelic.com/2009/07/01/how-to-build-a-chess-opening-repertoire-pa...

It involves a time staggering training method to improve memorisation.

There are lots of techniques to do this and this is just one of them. eg. when I learn something new, I study it once, then learn it again 3 hours later, then learn it again 6 hours later then one more time the next day and once more 3 days, one more time just when my memory of it is starting to fade and a final one again when memory is about to drop. After that, it pretty much stays in long term memory with occasional "refreshers".

YMMV. After all, different strokes for different folks.  Cheesy

Another wonderful chess link you should visit http://www.chesspublishing.com Smiley

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 11/09/10 at 00:36:21
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 11/08/10 at 23:02:06:
Interesting and maybe this is the right way to go with the Marshall. I found Gus games on chessgames.com very inspiring. About disorganized files, no problem for me because I prefer an honest disorganized author then an organized actor, and I use to study openings using Bouwmeester method.  Smiley
Thanks for your view, I will order it.   

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #5 - 11/08/10 at 23:02:06
Post Tools
Interesting and maybe this is the right way to go with the Marshall. I found Gus games on chessgames.com very inspiring. About disorganized files, no problem for me because I prefer an honest disorganized author then an organized actor, and I use to study openings using Bouwmeester method.  Smiley
Thanks for your view, I will order it.   

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #4 - 11/07/10 at 22:13:49
Post Tools
In fact this DVD has a new feaute. Gus does not present all the material but just guides as and offers the conclusions from his analysis and after that he offers his analysis. His lines seem way disorganised which leads me to believe that they are actually the files he used himself!

Pleas don't get me wrong, i don't work for Chessbase. Many of it's products are very low on quality but this DVD does not fit in this category.

Gus says in the introduction that there will be another one by him that will cover anaything else. These two DVDs combined together will offer a complete defence to 1.e5 with 1...e5.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #3 - 11/07/10 at 13:30:44
Post Tools
Completely agree with your view Pantu. Today, chess is full of marketing and several critics are joining several authors in this equation. Chessbase seems to be the Microsoft of chess.

Ametanoitos, indeed Gus seems to be excellent and honest in a quick view of a small part of his video on youtube (because my chessbase links do not work). Other then the review, my other doubt is the time for covering the Marshall (3h45) and because it says in the cover that it´s a complete Black repertoire against 1.e4 in two parts! Will Gus cover all other Open Games on the other cd? I hope the second part will take 6h to 7 hours...!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #2 - 11/07/10 at 01:54:45
Post Tools
Excellent and honest. Gus thinks that Black cannot easy equalise in the Qe2 variation. The material is very well presented but the thing that the DVD offers ways to avoid the forced draws is not exactly accurate.

IP Logged

Pantu

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 11/06/10 at 22:54:27
Post Tools
I haven't seen the dvd.  But, um,  is this the review of a Chessbase product, published by Chessbase?

I've yet to see a 'review' of a Chessbase product on the Chessbase site that didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread and fantastic for players of all levels etc etc.  Normally they throw in some random minor and basically irrelevent criticism to make some sort of attempt to make it not looks like an advert.

I'd look elsewhere for an impartial review.  It might be their best dvd yet, but I wouldn't trust Chessbase to tell me that!  But I must admit, I don't have any proof that the review isn't honest except the fact that I don't think every chessbase product is as fantastic as their reviews say.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

GM Jan Gustafsson: The Marshall Attack
11/06/10 at 15:59:56
Post Tools
According to GM Hedinn Steingrimsson review of the DVD, Gustafsson is a true expert in the variation and his presentation is very good. He manages to use the multimedia format very well. He explains Black's plans and long term ideas. The files that are presented with the DVD are probably the best that he had seen with an opening DVD. Gustafsson interprets the opening in a more aggressive way, preferring to avoid queens exchanges and playing for compensation for the sacrificed pawn in the form of an attack on the white king (bye bye professional level draws reputation?).

Any views on this DVD? Is this the best Chessbase DVD so far?  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo