Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Berlin wall 9...Ke8 : why does White play 10.h3? (Read 5800 times)
trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Berlin wall 9...Ke8 : why does White play 10.h3?
Reply #5 - 11/16/10 at 17:38:57
Post Tools
I said virtually all for a reason Smiley I'm aware of the h5 idea. The point is we are talking ideas not move orders as he presented no move orders. The main idea behind h3 has been explained. There can be other reasons for it move order dependent.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #4 - 11/16/10 at 15:00:59
Post Tools
Indeed, activating the majority must be sooner rather then later. White needs to play h3 to follow with g4-f4-f5-e6 but if h3 is played for example after ...h5 by Black, then it could follow ...h4 and taking en passant killing White majority (h3 prevents the Black bishop to take the knight and spoil the structure too). Other possibility after a late h3-g4 is for Black to trade hxg4 activating is rook for free and then, more dificulties for White...
Quote:
That may be so, but there's no bishop threatening to come to g4 - it could only do so if Black moved the knight voluntarily - and the king's in no danger of being mated

Not yet, but after ...Ne7-g6 manouvre that White likes to do (putting pressure on e5 and frezing the Nf3 to move) there is no time anymore for g4 without h3. The Berlin is very conceptual and strategical and one needs to understand very well the themes to play it well, thats why I like it, because here one really needs to play chess and not memorize variations. Just imagine why the Black bishop likes to capture the knight on c3.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/15/10 at 22:42:41
Post Tools
Virtually all white plans involve a kingside pawn majority expansion which has to start with h3. Later g4 f4 f5 e6 is the idea that white tries to make and black tries to prevent. If white refrains from playing h3 early on then he may never get to use his main idea.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #2 - 11/15/10 at 20:20:35
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 11/14/10 at 23:25:18:
With 10.h3 White have the flexibility of more options available for piece placement later and keeps the bishop away, gives air to the king and prepares g4 moving the majority later and defending the pawn against the Black bishop capture. Moving the majority is an important  and central theme.      

That may be so, but there's no bishop threatening to come to g4 - it could only do so if Black moved the knight voluntarily - and the king's in no danger of being mated. So while it may or may not be best, or most flexible,  it still doesn't seem to me to go virtually without saying.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #1 - 11/14/10 at 23:25:18
Post Tools
With 10.h3 White have the flexibility of more options available for piece placement later and keeps the bishop away, gives air to the king and prepares g4 moving the majority later and defending the pawn against the Black bishop capture. Moving the majority is an important  and central theme.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Berlin wall 9...Ke8 : why does White play 10.h3?
11/14/10 at 10:39:38
Post Tools
I confess I find it really hard to get my head round this. It seem to go without comment, but what specifically is White actually gaining (or preventing) by playing this rather than another move?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo