Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Laptop for Chessbase & Rybka? (Read 58079 times)
proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Re: Laptop for Chessbase & Rybka?
Reply #69 - 07/05/14 at 20:08:22
Post Tools
Is there any sense as to which of the lower-end processors are better for chess right now? The A6 (or A8) or the i3?

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 05/09/14 at 08:26:06
Post Tools
That'd be the tidier solution you'd think -dual booting for one piece of software isn't really ideal - although (as the article says) it will slow analysis down quite a bit.

Could always do the analysis in some native program like Scid (Arena?) instead I suppose and import across as needed.
(I've no idea how well input/output from Scid to chessbase works though.).

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #67 - 05/09/14 at 01:07:54
Post Tools
Straggler wrote on 05/07/14 at 17:57:02:
Well, I'm not a complete idiot where computers are concerned, but I couldn't get Boot Camp to work. A virtual machine under Parallels works fine for me. ChessBase keeps crashing, of course, but it wouldn't be ChessBase if it didn't.

I've used a MacBook Pro with Parallels for over a year with no problems.  I wanted the MacBook for digital music recording so I needed the Windows VM for Chessbase.  If I didn't specifically need the Mac I might have preferred a Windows laptop.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #66 - 05/08/14 at 23:34:22
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 05/07/14 at 13:54:14:
For me this is a good time to revive this topic, since I need to replace my aging Samsung netbook (running Chessbase under Windows XP!) for travelling abroad to tournaments. I was on the point of ordering a Windows i7 ultrabook when this recent article by GM Dave Smerdon about using a MacBook was brought to my attention.

http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1478

I use an Iphone and and IPad, so the thought of being able to run Chessbase with no problems on a MacBook is quite appealing.

Does anyone else here have any experience of this?

Thank you both (MartinC and Straggler) for your comments. I'm still unsure which way to jump, so further advice from forum readers, preferably based on experience, would be most useful!

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #65 - 05/07/14 at 17:57:02
Post Tools
Well, I'm not a complete idiot where computers are concerned, but I couldn't get Boot Camp to work. A virtual machine under Parallels works fine for me. ChessBase keeps crashing, of course, but it wouldn't be ChessBase if it didn't.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #64 - 05/07/14 at 14:02:52
Post Tools
Essentially guaranteed to work with the final method he's describing. Do that and you're dual booting into OSX or Windows as required.

The hardware underneath in macs is essentially the same as the windows ones nowadays, so once booted into windows it is a entirely normal windows notebook.
(Well a nice one that is Smiley Apple certainly do specify their notebooks nicely.).

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #63 - 05/07/14 at 13:54:14
Post Tools
For me this is a good time to revive this topic, since I need to replace my aging Samsung netbook (running Chessbase under Windows XP!) for travelling abroad to tournaments. I was on the point of ordering a Windows i7 ultrabook when this recent article by GM Dave Smerdon about using a MacBook was brought to my attention.

http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1478

I use an Iphone and and IPad, so the thought of being able to run Chessbase with no problems on a MacBook is quite appealing.

Does anyone else here have any experience of this?

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #62 - 07/22/13 at 18:38:46
Post Tools
Um...yes, I'm aware of all that. Used to use KDE myself. I don't see how it affects my trivial point that the interface of an operating system is important, but if the example strikes you as like asking about the distance from Paris to France I won't disagree. Thanks for the hardware update too.

Best, RD

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #61 - 07/20/13 at 16:30:26
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 05/26/12 at 01:02:44:
The obvious question is, what do you want to do with your laptop? Serious chess analysis makes extreme demands on any processors devoted to it. I have eight core on my desktop machine, and when it's calculating, all the cores peg at 100% and the fans are so active that it's a bit like sitting next to a turboprop. I don't think that that kind of computation can be done on any existing factory laptop.

Does anyone really need to do that kind of computation on the road? If so the way to do it is to ssh to your home machine, not try to do it on a laptop.

I have since learned that this remark was behind the times.  You can buy a laptop these days equipped with Intel i7 chips (4 core, 8 threads) that is a reasonable substitute for an eight-core desktop machine. You should also buy a good cooler for it (a cooler is a sort of flat stand on which the laptop sits; it has fans in it that are powered by the laptop).

I bought a Zareason Verix 530 equipped with dual i7-3840QM chips, 16 Gig of ram and 180 Gig of SSD. See http://zareason.com.  Zareason specializes in Linux (I would never want a non-Unix computer), but there are many suppliers of custom-built Windows laptops (AVADirect is one; see http://avadirect.com).  If anyone DOES want Linux, I can personally recommend Zareason. I bought this mainly for development (Php, Mysql, Apache) when away from home, but it turns out that it works perfectly well for chess.  I run stockfish and scid.

Not everyone will want this much computational horsepower, but for large data base applications like Chessbase or Mysql, I strongly recommend SSD storage (solid state drives).  They are WAY faster than the traditional RPM (platter) drives.  One little bonus is that bootup is a whole lot faster, as well.

Because my Zareason laptop happens to have an Nvidia graphics card, it's possible to play games on it as well. At the instigation of one of my sons, I've recently been fooling around with Crusader Kings II.  Computer games are not really a passion for me, though; I have the nagging feeling that I'm wasting my time.

Stop reading now if you're not a geek.

@ReneDescartes: "The guts may be stable, but the other point of an OS is the interface. That's what makes OS X better than command-line UNIX." 

That statement seems a quite odd to me, because OS X has a command line, and essentially all Unix installations on PCs or laptops run a desktop GUI like Gnome, KDE or my preference, XFCE.  Only on servers, usually, do you not run a desktop GUI, because you don't need one.  Personally I like the freedom to choose which desktop GUI I want to use, not possible on Windows and OSX.  I DO find the command line quite useful, but this is a preference that someone with an OSX machine could satisfy as well.

Also, you may perhaps know that OSX is not entirely different from Unix.  I believe that much of it was borrowed from BSD.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #60 - 07/20/13 at 14:10:27
Post Tools
Just bought a new laptop. Asus, a respected part manufacturer that now makes laptops,  has some of the best deals and, more importantly, the best repair records in the industry. Only Asus's customer infrastructure is not up to par. I bought a Toshiba with Windows 7 Pro especially installed on up-to-date hardware, and Asus didn't have that option. I need to do software development among other things, and I didn't like the asynchronous Windows 8 architecture. But I would recommend Asus.

My own feeling is that Windows 8 is one of those every-other Microsoft OS releases that are gratefully forgotten and replaced once Microsoft has a little time to save face . (recall The Onion: "Evil Genius Pours Windows 98 into Water Supply"). The guts may be stable, but the other point of an OS is the interface. That's what makes OS X better than command-line UNIX. And it's never a good sign when the guy that created a product is fired right before its release, as happened in the case of Windows 8.

Re Markovich: A lot of players who are not playing centaur correspondence chess just want to analyze their own games for tactical errors. A laptop is more than adequate for that. And if you're on the road and want to do some chess analysis, what choice do you have?

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #59 - 07/19/13 at 17:34:39
Post Tools
Can you run chessbase (or maybe Chess OK programmes like chess Assistant ) on a Windows 8 touchscreen, I was thinking of getting a convertible notebook to mainly take the Tablet part around with me, the IPAd has very good portability and some good chess apps now but  I am looking for portability of IPad with chess power of ChessBase or Chess OK.

Or  would  Chessbase./Ok work on a Microsoft Surface?

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #58 - 04/27/13 at 14:20:06
Post Tools
About Windows 8, I work as a computer programmer and when I got a new computer recenelty I had Windows 8. At first I dit not like it att all but after a few hours using it I think is is the best version of Windows so far, it realy like it.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #57 - 04/26/13 at 13:03:28
Post Tools
I recently just bought a laptop for traveling and chess analysis on the couch, and I actually really like Windows 8. I have my suspicious that the vast majority of people who complain about Windows 8 (this is speculation of course) are the people who don't want to invest the half-hour into how it works, or simply hate change.

I got a great deal on the Lenovo Y400, and I'm very happy with it.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #56 - 04/25/13 at 15:51:23
Post Tools
snits wrote on 04/11/13 at 00:42:24:
Windows 8 has had mixed reviews, but I think most of the complaints I have seen were not about it being broken, but the way that they changed the interface. Chessbase says it runs on Windows 8 so that should be fine. The system is definitely powerful enough to do chess work with the i7 and memory.

Talking to some people who know about it, the interface in Windows 8 can be changed back to the same as Windows 7 but for some stupid reason Microsoft have not made it an easy thing to do for non-IT people, sounds like you have to go and modify a value in the registry.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #55 - 04/11/13 at 15:59:44
Post Tools
Thanks, I was concerned about a dramatic change in the interface in windows 8, but I need to see it with my own eyes and grab some more opinions about it. The ultrabook had very good reviews in general, but some people refer some hot button after one hour and some noise or the position of the hands not in an ideal position in tablet mode or the trackpad precision. I think I will wait for more opinions based on the use with these machines. The Sony Vaio Duo 11 with i7 core is another interesting option but more expensive. In the end, I think there are no perfect solutions. Desktop is best for serious calculation, but above 4 cores is expensive and today any computer can access a cloud with powerfull machines like in playchess. The only drawback for me is the cooler when I want to study/play in the winter nights wich is a bit anoying. The laptop solution is not in my plans because the battery life is short and one can vitiate them with ease and are expensive. I prefer two options: (Desktop+ultrabook or tablet), but here the price is important, the battery life and the choice between windows or ios Mac (ipad) have advantages and disadvantages related to chess applications.

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

snits

Reply #54 - 04/11/13 at 00:42:24
Post Tools
Windows 8 has had mixed reviews, but I think most of the complaints I have seen were not about it being broken, but the way that they changed the interface. Chessbase says it runs on Windows 8 so that should be fine. The system is definitely powerful enough to do chess work with the i7 and memory.

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #53 - 04/11/13 at 00:13:28
Post Tools
Some correction and completeness -
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3537U Processor          (2.00GHz 1600MHz 4MB).
Windows 8 64 bits.
Ram 8.0Gb Pc3-12800 Ddr3 Sdram 1600 MHz.
Screen - 13.3" Hd+ Led Multitouch 1600x900.
Bluetooth Version 4.0

It has been said that chess players are good at two things, Chess and Excuses.  It has also been said that Chess is where all excuses fail! In order to win you must dare to fail!

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #52 - 04/10/13 at 22:46:34
Post Tools
I am thinking of buying a kind of ultrabook only for studying chess and playing against computer, net and travel, but I would like to listen from the ones who have experience with these machines or your views and possible other choices. 
I found one: Lenovo IdeaPad Ioga
                   Intel core i7-3517U 2Ghz
                   RAM - 8 GB
                   Disk - 256 GB
                   SSD
                   Screen LCD 13.3" , touchscreen
                   1,2 Kg
                Windows 8 (I have no experience with it)
                HD graphics 4000
                Batery - 8h

Is windows 8 a good choice? I have no experience with it. I would like to install maybe Deep Fritz 13 for playing and Chessbase 12 both by download. Is 13.3" screen enough for Chessbase 12? This ultrabook good point is that it is possible to turn into a tablet with touchscreen wich is very nice for playing and easy to travel.       

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #51 - 09/03/12 at 13:03:58
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 09/03/12 at 12:21:20:
BUMP

I have 50,000 yen  max (= 638 dollars = 508 euros) of company money to spend on a new laptop. As my desk is empty. Mainly use for work of course (just internet access, writing articles, writing student materials - very basic usage) but also wish it to be used for Chessbase and Rybka on the move.

Any suggestions re: netbooks, laptops, tablets?

Best value at the moment? Suggestions?

Know there are plenty of very knowledgeable IT folks here, wondering if I may pick your brains a little. Thanks if you my be able to offer suggestions. *Bow*, thank you in advance.

If you are actually in Japan somewhere near Tokyo, then I would get one of the slightly older Panasonic-CF-S (or CF-W) models. The newest ones have a slightly too power hungry CPUs but the older ones model could be used for 5-6 hours (reading, editing etc.) before the battery ran out. These models are light, sturdy and have quite nice screens.

I have used CF-W5,CF-S8,CF-S10 exclusively over the last seven years and are quite happy except for the power consumption of the last model. There are a few places near Akihabara station where you can get these models (almost unused) for anything between 2-50000 yen.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #50 - 09/03/12 at 12:21:20
Post Tools
BUMP

I have 50,000 yen  max (= 638 dollars = 508 euros) of company money to spend on a new laptop. As my desk is empty. Mainly use for work of course (just internet access, writing articles, writing student materials - very basic usage) but also wish it to be used for Chessbase and Rybka on the move.

Any suggestions re: netbooks, laptops, tablets?

Best value at the moment? Suggestions?

Know there are plenty of very knowledgeable IT folks here, wondering if I may pick your brains a little. Thanks if you my be able to offer suggestions. *Bow*, thank you in advance.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #49 - 05/28/12 at 01:54:51
Post Tools
That is a viable preferece, but not if you want to do serious computation, chess or otherwise.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #48 - 05/27/12 at 01:08:37
Post Tools
Perhaps quick preparation for a train ride, with the database, probably only minimal engine analyses would be required. I am not sure what the original post wants, but not everyone has a desktop, and some, like me, prefer to only have one laptop as their only computer. I have not had a personal desktop since probably 1995, and that was without internet Smiley

For travel issues, probably 28-33 cm laptops I would choose, and lightweight, less than 3 kg. My current laptop feels quite heavy, probably requires a weightlifter to carry this around for hours with no rucksack.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #47 - 05/26/12 at 13:13:29
Post Tools
I don't know where the OP is located, but here's an article about Ivy Bridge laptops in the states, and how their price has dropped since introduction.

http://dealnews.com/features/New-Ivy-Bridge-Laptops-Are-Falling-Fast-in-Price/57...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #46 - 05/26/12 at 01:02:44
Post Tools
The obvious question is, what do you want to do with your laptop? Serious chess analysis makes extreme demands on any processors devoted to it. I have eight core on my desktop machine, and when it's calculating, all the cores peg at 100% and the fans are so active that it's a bit like sitting next to a turboprop. I don't think that that kind of computation can be done on any existing factory laptop.

Does anyone really need to do that kind of computation on the road? If so the way to do it is to ssh to your home machine, not try to do it on a laptop.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #45 - 05/25/12 at 23:44:59
Post Tools
I would probably look for a < 30 cm, < 3 kg laptop to travel with. My current laptop is quite heavy and I need a big rucksack to carry in it.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #44 - 05/25/12 at 14:46:03
Post Tools
buddho wrote on 05/24/12 at 17:14:10:
One has a duo-core i7 620, the other has a quad-core i7-720QM.

You can see speeds here http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #43 - 05/25/12 at 13:27:28
Post Tools
fling wrote on 05/25/12 at 09:35:51:
I have tried on a 12" screen. It is a bit too small, 13" is fine. Of course 15" is better for viewing, but less portable, which is what I prioritize.

As it is for you, portability is a major concern for me. I have a small laptop PC (not a netbook) with an 11.6" screen and find it perfectly acceptable. Of course, you're right that a larger screen is better for viewing, but it didn't take me long at all to get used to the smaller display. A laptop the size of mine is small enough and light enough to be popped into a holdall, and it's great to be able to travel with only one item of luggage to have to think about.

IP Logged

ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Reply #42 - 05/25/12 at 13:09:58
Post Tools
I second the recommendation to wait for Ivy Bridge processors, which are due next month.  Don't know what price range you are looking at, but there are a bunch of "Ultrabooks" (a marketing term, really, since there are no standards as to what constitutes one) designed to compete with the MacBook Air (but, like the Air, they ain't cheap, but sure are s-w-e-e-t  Cool).

I don't travel much with my laptop, so I was recently looking at a souped-up HP dv6t Quad Edition [6lbs+/-] (you can scope the 'Net and get 33% discount codes that seem to actually work!), before deciding to just replace my HDD on my Dell (and maybe adding more RAM) and waiting another few years before I cough up the real bucks for a new laptop in the hopes that, by that time, SSD prices will have come down even more than they already have and I can switch to a lightweight ultrabook from a 5/6 lbs. notebook.

Here's a sample of what an Ultrabook looks like:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/hp-debuts-13-inch-envy-spectre-xt-ultrabook-available-...

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 05/25/12 at 09:35:51
Post Tools
I have tried on a 12" screen. It is a bit too small, 13" is fine. Of course 15" is better for viewing, but less portable, which is what I prioritize.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #40 - 05/25/12 at 03:48:42
Post Tools
I have no idea anything about computers, but my laptop is about six years old, so I need a new one. When I get a new laptop I would plan to get Chessbase, which I have not had for years (I only use Chessbase Light 2009 right now). Would a 30 cm width 20 cm length laptop be good for viewing Chessbase?

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #39 - 05/25/12 at 02:38:33
Post Tools
JMI sounds like he is offering good advice.  I haven't been in the market for a laptop in a few years, so I must defer to him. Smiley

IP Logged

jmi

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 05/25/12 at 01:21:04
Post Tools
Hello buddho,

I would seriously advise against getting 1st Generation i7 chips for your laptops because they are extremely *prone* to overheating and would recommend at least a 2nd Generation i7 CPU or better.

The new Ivy Bridge 3rd Generation Intel CPUs are coming out in the next month. This will have a knock down effect on the laptop prices for the 2nd Generation Sandy Bridge CPUs (which run much cooler and gives a longer battery life).

The problem herein is that heat is a killer for laptops because they shorten the lifespan of your laptop. I can understand that price may be a concern for some but the trade-off is that there is no point going cheap if your laptop is spending a lot of downtime in the repair shops. One of the worst offenders in this category is the HP DM model range.

Regards

Another wonderful chess link you should visit http://www.chesspublishing.com Smiley

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 05/24/12 at 20:55:10
Post Tools
Thankyou Proust!

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #36 - 05/24/12 at 17:42:28
Post Tools
Ok, after googling, this seems to be the case:

i7 620 - 2x2.66MhZ; Fritzmark unknown
i7 720qm - 4x1.6MhZ; 11.76 Fritzmark

The quad-core has Turbo Boost up to 2.8MhZ, but that's only for one processor at a time.  When you're running all four, it won't ramp up beyond 1.6 if I'm reading the Intel specs right.  In other words, I don't think the overheating should be a problem.

The dual-core uses less wattage per processor, so there's less heat.

I would imagine that you'll probably get nearly (80%?) of the speed of the quad-core if you buy the dual-core, taking into account the difference in speed and # of processors.  If cost is the same, the quad-core might be a slightly better bet just on processor alone.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #35 - 05/24/12 at 17:27:41
Post Tools
Also re: the quad-core overheating.  Without knowing the specifics, in general the processors will ramp up and ramp down depending on usage.  If you leave your engine running for six hours, that's a lot of heat being produced, and it might well be that a sub-par cooling system on a notebook could lead to overheating.  If, however, you're buying a good brand, I wouldn't worry too much about it _unless_ you're talking about a well documented product flaw.

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 05/24/12 at 17:27:01
Post Tools
I would mainly be running it off mains anyway, so this is not so much of an issue. Does the quad get hotter and reduce the life length of the comp?

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #33 - 05/24/12 at 17:22:01
Post Tools
What's the battery life on each?  The quad-core will give you more processing speed, naturally, but you'll take a battery life hit.  That's the main tradeoff, assuming this computer is for chess only.  (Video card considerations would come in if you were a gamer also.)

buddho wrote on 05/24/12 at 17:14:10:
There are 2 laptops i am looking at with a similar price. One has a duo-core i7 620, the other has a quad-core i7-720QM. Could any of our computer savvy forumites suggest the pro's and cons of each regarding overall computer performance and chess engine optimisation.

Thanks, Nick.

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 05/24/12 at 17:14:10
Post Tools
There are 2 laptops i am looking at with a similar price. One has a duo-core i7 620, the other has a quad-core i7-720QM. Could any of our computer savvy forumites suggest the pro's and cons of each regarding overall computer performance and chess engine optimisation.

I have read that there may be some issues with the quad core overheating which will shorten the life of the computer. I don't want this to happen.

Thanks, Nick.

IP Logged

GrizzleBazzle

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 03/01/12 at 22:11:27
Post Tools
This is nonsense. Netbooks work perfectly well with Chessbase. I've been using netbooks for travel for 3 years. The one I have now is a year old and runs Chessbase 11 just fine. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy another one, considering Windows 8 is just around the corner.

IP Logged

aidin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 03/01/12 at 16:34:58
Post Tools
Dear Paddy ,

Chessbase 9 is outdated and more lighter than New versions . Put a modern copy of  Mega Database in your netbook and I bet it will hank like......!

Net books ar dieing  and this trend is just like " Dead man walking"....

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #29 - 02/29/12 at 22:43:54
Post Tools
aidin wrote on 02/29/12 at 13:55:39:
Gorath !
Net books are not fast enough for chess database !
(cut)!

This is simply not true. For over two years now when I go away to tournaments I've been happily using Chessbase 9 and a large (4 million plus games) database on a Samsung NC10 Netbook: Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60 GHz, 2 GM RAM, Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family.

This is perfectly adequate for routine pre-game preparation.

For engine-aided analysis I have various 32 bit engines but mostly these days I use Houdini 1.5a w32 – OK, I admit, here I would welcome some more speed, but it’s only slow in relative terms.

Sometime this year I intend to upgrade, but I don’t feel any sense of urgency to do so.

BTW I find Jesse's information very interesting and I certainly intend to delve into this further.
« Last Edit: 03/01/12 at 17:30:23 by Paddy »  

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 02/29/12 at 16:24:27
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 02/29/12 at 12:52:19:
I don't understand the advantage of Jesse's route; can't this be accomplished via VPN or LogMeIn or similar?

Most likely, I have no idea, I haven't tried anything, because I don't even have an iPad, and have actually never tried to remote control my desktop either.

Aidin - My idea with the whole thing, though, is not to do serious analysis, as mentioned. I fully agree on the stupidity of Chessbase. It doesn't surprise me, but it is annoying.

IP Logged

aidin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 02/29/12 at 13:55:39
Post Tools
Gorath !
Net books are not fast enough for chess database ! Exept for some especial models like Asus lamborgini super net book (Eee pc vx6s) which utilizes a Dual core D2700 intel ! With 2.13 Ghz clock speed !   Cool
If you need deep analysis of positions for example to 24 plies at least ,on a net book  then you must buy an especial one like I mentioned and it will cost more than $2000 ! 

Other problem with them is not having an Optical disc drive. Of course you can use and load your chess softwares by for i.e a USB connection from a real PC or flash or external DVD writer and reader. But this will be a hassle.  Sad

Now let's talk about Ultrabooks . Among all hype and ads in these days , they are not so big inventions in fact ! Simply the idea first came from Mac book air ; windows twins for MBA. For seriouse chess geeks like us , these models also are not Perfect. Due to very slim chassis they don't have efficient cooling logistics and space .so for i.e if you run a deep fritz on an Ultra book ,it will heat up after 20-25 minutes !  Undecided
They don't have optical drive also ( except for very rare models) . Other point is that the price tag is somewhat near or even more than a complete and perfect laptop !

Then we reach to the tablet area ! While I'm typing this on an IPad 2 , and surffing all the App store for chess apps , I can claim that there's not a perfect app for seriouse chess analysis in these markets !

Let's don't speak from Android which I think is the worst one for chess ! The only seriouse chess app in Android market is Droid fish .but it has such a ridiculous grafic interface and design that someone may think it's a fantezic game for children !   Grin

If those folks at chessbase look at iPad 2 and 3 with hundred million users over the world , then  they  may produce some good stuff for that !  Angry
So far they have 3 apps on this platform , but none of them is great !

This is why Still my Pocket fritz 4.3 on my 4.5 inch screen PPc is my preferable ultraportable ! to carry around and analysis and annotate chess games !

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #26 - 02/29/12 at 12:52:19
Post Tools
I don't understand the advantage of Jesse's route; can't this be accomplished via VPN or LogMeIn or similar?

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 02/29/12 at 08:19:53
Post Tools
Vass wrote on 02/29/12 at 07:30:07:

Thanks for posting that, Vass. However, it seems like this app is mainly for playing at the server, not for what I need it for. If the pricing of the iPad3 is ok, I'll get one. Otherwise I'll wait for a Win 8 tablet and hope the CB programs will work on it.

Thanks, guys for the answers!

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 02/29/12 at 07:30:07
Post Tools

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 02/28/12 at 16:17:10
Post Tools
Sorry, my question was probably not specific enough.

Thanks for your answer, Chessexplained.

Here are my thoughts:

I have a desktop and a laptop. However, I'd like to buy a tablet (but don't know which one yet) because tablets are more portable than laptops (and I won't get a Mac, sorry, even though the Air looks good) and they are for sure also cheaper. Netbooks are really not good enough in any respect, I think.

The main purpose would be to be able to watch my Chessbase videos, or read CBH-files, not so much to do serious analytical work (for which I'd use a regular computer). The problem is that there seems to be some people at Chessbase that don't like the idea of iPads, or something (e.g. why would they release a new version for Android but nothing for iPad of their app) and also that no app right now supports their CBH or video files. For this reason, using Chessbase via Wyse or something similar would be ok for my needs, but of course not optimal since I'd still have to keep the computer on at home.

The main alternative I have considered is to wait for a Win 8 tablet, and hope that any of the CB programs I have (CB, Fritz, Deep Junior) will run on that one. The problem is that they might not run under Win 8, even though the support at CB just answered me they think they will, but that they have limited experience of Win 8. And even if they do on a desktop, I am not sure they will work on a Win 8 tablet, because of the difference in processors (x86 vs ARM).

I guess with this in mind, I would ask the question a bit differently, i.e. has anybody tried to use Chessbase on their home PC from an iPad using some kind of remote control system, and if so, what are your experience?

And a follow up question would be, those of you that know more about Win 8, do you think most programs will work on a tablet with an ARM processor if they work on a regular x86 processor?

IP Logged

Chessexplained

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 02/28/12 at 12:07:53
Post Tools
The video shows chessbase run on a PC, but remotely accessed by the iPad. So you need a laptop/PC after all. If you want some really light weight mobile database, the main question is: how much do you want to spend? I personally have Chessbase run on a Macbook Air, which I absolutely always carry with me, as the weight and dimensions are so little. Decent alternatives seem to be the recently released announced Ultrabooks by other manufacturers. These notebooks incl. the Air combine ultra low weight with very decent performance, also due to the use of SSD with speeds up the database considerably. The processing power is also very good and and far better than for instance on regular, cheaper 'Netbooks'.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 02/27/12 at 16:04:31
Post Tools
Mortal Games wrote on 01/08/11 at 19:29:06:
Anyone here has experience or used Chessbase on iPAD? I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-i-UGt70w8

I have to repeat the question, has anyone experience in this? I have noticed that somebody posted on this at Chess.com, and I realized that if this works, I'll get an iPad after all!

IP Logged

Mortal Games
God Member

Reply #20 - 01/08/11 at 19:29:06
Post Tools
Anyone here has experience or used Chessbase on iPAD? I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-i-UGt70w8

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #19 - 12/29/10 at 14:18:08
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 12/28/10 at 20:49:37:
What state must the remote desktop be in for this to work; fully active or can it be resting, hibernating etc.?

depends. if it's fully running it'll work - if not, depends on the details.

just ran a test with my netbook (1.33 ghz Z520 Atom processor).

using it's own processor, analyzing the starting position while opening a web browser and then an email program - it analyzed an average of
176,000 positions per second
(4.5 million total) in
83 seconds

to open, then close, the email program and then the web browser.

using a 'remote engine' same process, average rate
2,707,000 positions per second
(116 million total) in
43 seconds.

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #18 - 12/29/10 at 00:59:05
Post Tools
Stigma - I mis-spoke. Thinkpad Edge is the product line with the bad screen.

lots of info about thinkpad's here:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #17 - 12/28/10 at 23:46:49
Post Tools
Thanks for that Jesse.

I buy a new computer only once every 3-4 years. Every time a lot of re-education is necessary, since everything I thought I knew about hardware has changed beyond recognition!

Btw. why is the IdeaPad cheaper than the ThinkPad even with a faster (?) processor and more RAM? Has there been so many problems with it that they dropped the price maybe?!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #16 - 12/28/10 at 23:01:08
Post Tools
here are rybka speeds on various processors, not many notebooks on this list.

http://sedatchess.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_72

the i5 in laptops is actually an i5m - m for mobile. much slower than the desktop i5 processor, but very very fast compared to the 'netbooks' we were talking about above. This is a notebook processor. the netbooks (names are almost the same) don't have cd drives and have very low performance processors. that's one of the reasons the batteries last so long.

i use a lenovo thinkpad t410i, with an i3-370. It's very capable of doing opening preparation. is as fast as several last generation desktop quad-core processors. battery lasts maybe 1.5-2 hours. the machine is not heavy.

I've tried i5m and i7m processors and, while there's some speed improvements (the i7-720QM ran at 274kn/s), i found those processors to be too hot and cause too much fan noise.

the ideapad is cheaper - but i saw lots of people online complaining about the quality of the screen.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #15 - 12/28/10 at 20:49:37
Post Tools
I'm a complete newbie concerning this re-routing thing. Sounds exciting though. What state must the remote desktop be in for this to work; fully active or can it be resting, hibernating etc.? (Sorry if this is a stupid question).

But, assume you don't have a powerful desktop at home (in fact I don't!) and I want to combine analysis power, mobility and affordability in a single laptop or notebook, what brands/model should I look at? Say below $1200 or Ł800, roughly.

I looked at the Lenovo IdeaPad Z360 which is pretty small (13.3" screen), has an Intei Core i5 series processor, 4 GB RAM and (contrary to smaller netbooks and mini PCs) has a CD/DVD drive which I find useful. The only cons I saw was firstly, the battery life is average at best, and secondly, is a Core i5 really powerful enough to prepare openings before and during international opens?

Other models that looked promising budget-wise were the Toshiba Tecra M11 and several HP Pavilion models, but both are bigger and heavier.

I've noticed that a lot of hardware testers around the net actually use the Fritz benchmark to compare processors. Is this something chess players can reliably use to find the perfect (or best value) processor for analysis?
« Last Edit: 12/28/10 at 22:37:47 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #14 - 12/28/10 at 17:09:43
Post Tools
This method is suitable for play in the world of international opens.

Basically, your netbook is great in every way except for it's processor and graphics card. When you run an engine on a netbook with a 1.33 ghz Atom processor, you can't use the computer for ANYTHING else.

With the above model, you can check your email, check multiple lines at the same time, listen to music, or whatever it is you normally do with your computer.

GM's I've set this up for are interested in getting a better level of analysis than their notebook offers. Patzers, particularly Nick, the one looking for a cheap notebook to run Rybka and Chessbase, would use this method because it lowers the performance bar, and, by extension, the entry price, needed to run these two programs.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #13 - 12/28/10 at 11:58:43
Post Tools
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 12/26/10 at 10:12:23:
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 12/26/10 at 08:29:37:
If you have a strong computer 'at home' but want to use a simple notebook for travel, I suggest employing your home computer to run the engine and the netbook to just run the front end (chessbase, arena, aquarium).

notes:
a) this works only if both machines have access to the internet.
b) I use Arena, instead of chessbase, because it runs better on my old Thinkpad T41.

How to connect this wimpy netbook to that zippy processor

Overview
ok - i'm in a hotel room in Bern. my notebook is using the hotel's wifi and is connecting to my home computer.
i open Arena (playwitharena.com) and click analyize. The motor starts up and *blink* *blink*, two seconds gone and it's at depth 17! "This is fast," i smile to myself, "I have to thank Jesse after tomorrow's win."

8 hard steps - in decending order of the probability one 'throws in the towel' [resigns]
1. call your ISP and ask for 'a dedicated ip address'

home computer:
needs a 'dedicated ip address', which is the computer equivelant of 'a permant mailing address'. it's the address our notebook will use
to find our home computer. call your ISP and ask for "a dedicated ip address".

2. login to your router from your home computer

google your router name and the phrase 'admin login', example dlink x4-234 admin login, or check your router's box to figure out the address. typically the address will be
reference page: http://portforward.com/

3. from your router's admin page, assign your home computer a 'static ip address' based on it's name, or the mac address of it's network adapter. this is the local network's equivalent of a permanent mailing address.

in a minuet we'll tell the router, "Look, if anyone comes knocking at the door asking about chess moves, send them straight to my desktop computer. I told them to use door 7788. Anyone one knocking on that door - send to me.

so, first we have to give our desktop a permanent address - so the router can know where to send people. otherwise, each time we turn our computer off and on, the router will give our computer a new address, invalidating the forward rules we'll be setting up.

a static ip address is the local-network equivalent of a dedicated ip address.
this address can probably be something like

check the portfowarding page for more info.

4. set up 'port forwarding'

you need to tell the router to send (forward) all information which comes into your network on port number 7788 to your analyis computer.

note: assume our dedicated ip address is 1.1.1.1 - our notebook will be connecting to 1.1.1.1 on port 7788, which is sometimes written as 1.1.1.1:7780

5. add engineServer to your home computer and engineclient to your notebook.
http://home.arcor.de/bernhard.wallner/netChess.html

6. start engine server
you have to tell it where the .exe engine is and on which port to run (use 7788).

7. start engineclient on the notebook
this program will make an exe file named, net-yourenginename.exe. from chessbase/arena you will use add this exe as a UCI engine.

enter the dedicated ip address which you got from your ISP, port 7788, and a name for the engine. let's call it Engine. this will make a file named netEngine.exe

8. open Chessbase/Arena add the engine

thread at rybkaforum with some pictures
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforum/topic_show.pl?tid=19248

reason for edit: text setting, formatting

Thanks! Most ingenious. I think I read somewhere last year that Nakamura was doing something like this.

However, for those of us patzers who play in the "real world" of international opens,  with limited prep. time, I'm sure a decent netbook with minimum 2G RAM, loaded with Chessbase, a good database, our own opening files and a couple of decent UCI engines is adequate for most pre-round preparation needs.

In my own case, when preparing, I rarely want to leave an engine to analyse more than 15 ply and  before then I usually want to "interrupt" and "direct" the engine, rather than leave it to analyse on its own.
« Last Edit: 12/28/10 at 12:58:44 by Paddy »  

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #12 - 12/26/10 at 10:12:23
Post Tools
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 12/26/10 at 08:29:37:
If you have a strong computer 'at home' but want to use a simple notebook for travel, I suggest employing your home computer to run the engine and the netbook to just run the front end (chessbase, arena, aquarium).

notes:
a) this works only if both machines have access to the internet.
b) I use Arena, instead of chessbase, because it runs better on my old Thinkpad T41.

How to connect this wimpy netbook to that zippy processor

Overview
ok - i'm in a hotel room in Bern. my notebook is using the hotel's wifi and is connecting to my home computer.
i open Arena (playwitharena.com) and click analyize. The motor starts up and *blink* *blink*, two seconds gone and it's at depth 17! "This is fast," i smile to myself, "I have to thank Jesse after tomorrow's win."

8 hard steps - in decending order of the probability one 'throws in the towel' [resigns]
1. call your ISP and ask for 'a dedicated ip address'

home computer:
needs a 'dedicated ip address', which is the computer equivelant of 'a permant mailing address'. it's the address our notebook will use
to find our home computer. call your ISP and ask for "a dedicated ip address".

2. login to your router from your home computer

google your router name and the phrase 'admin login', example dlink x4-234 admin login, or check your router's box to figure out the address. typically the address will be

3. from your router's admin page, assign your home computer a 'static ip address' based on it's name, or the mac address of it's network adapter. this is the local network's equivalent of a permanent mailing address.

in a minuet we'll tell the router, "Look, if anyone comes knocking at the door asking about chess moves, send them straight to my desktop computer. I told them to use door 7788. Anyone one knocking on that door - send to me.

so, first we have to give our desktop a permanent address - so the router can know where to send people. otherwise, each time we turn our computer off and on, the router will give our computer a new address, invalidating the forward rules we'll be setting up.

a static ip address is the local-network equivalent of a dedicated ip address.
this address can probably be something like

check the portfowarding page for more info.

4. set up 'port forwarding'

you need to tell the router to send (forward) all information which comes into your network on port number 7788 to your analyis computer.

note: assume our dedicated ip address is 1.1.1.1 - our notebook will be connecting to 1.1.1.1 on port 7788, which is sometimes written as 1.1.1.1:7780

5. add engineServer to your home computer and engineclient to your notebook.
http://home.arcor.de/bernhard.wallner/netChess.html

6. start engine server
you have to tell it where the .exe engine is and on which port to run (use 7788).

7. start engineclient on the notebook
this program will make an exe file named, net-yourenginename.exe. from chessbase/arena you will use add this exe as a UCI engine.

enter the dedicated ip address which you got from your ISP, port 7788, and a name for the engine. let's call it Engine. this will make a file named netEngine.exe

8. open Chessbase/Arena add the engine

thread at rybkaforum with some pictures
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforum/topic_show.pl?tid=19248

reason for edit: text setting, formatting

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/25/10 at 17:51:13
Post Tools
An external DVD writer costs ca. 50€.

USB sticks are both rather slow and unreliable. They're only meant to comfortably move data from A to B. Better use external USB hard disks (small with internal power supply or cheaper standard drives with external power supply). Then keep all important data on both the external and the internal HDD.

Netbooks are fast enough for a chess database (after you've spent a couple of hours uninstalling / de-activating all the crap the manufacturer installed per default Wink ). The only problem is analyzing stuff because CPU performance is a bottle neck. A blunder check is okay, but if you want to go 25 half-moves deep you need some patience.

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 12/25/10 at 16:06:32
Post Tools
FM Dikkie wrote on 12/25/10 at 15:40:28:
Is it easy to run chessbase on a netbook? And how?
I thought these have no cd/dvd player? So I guess this goes via USB-stick?

Or an external cd/dvd player - they're not very expensive.

IP Logged

FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 12/25/10 at 15:40:28
Post Tools
Is it easy to run chessbase on a netbook? And how?
I thought these have no cd/dvd player? So I guess this goes via USB-stick?

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 12/25/10 at 11:43:34
Post Tools
Lots of strange infos in this thread. Wink

RAM:
2 GB RAM are fine if you're running WinXP. For Vista or Win7 it's practically only the minimum required for serious work. 1 GB is hardly enough, and not really worth wasting a thought on because RAM is cheap.
"Not enough RAM!" is definitely a situation you want to avoid.

CPU:
Nowadays you want at least 2 cores, which means your PC can do two things parallel without stumbleing over its own feet. Both Intel and AMD manufacture such CPUs.

Netbooks
Are fine, but the CPUs used are rather slow. It's really a matter of both priorities and taste. I don't think netbooks are fast enough for serious analysis yet. Handling DBs should be no problem though.
Netbooks are getting more attractive quickly. Let them double the CPU speed again. Wink

Screen size
I would go for a smaller screen. 17" notebooks aren't really portable - and if it's not portable, why use 17" instead of an external 24" TFT?!

Manufacturer XXX / YYY / ZZZ
This doesn't matter at all. No top tier brand manufactures notebooks. Acer could be the only exception because they used to do contract manufacturing for other big OEMs, but I think even they've outsourced now.
Generally speaking all notebook units of the known brands are made of similar parts and often on the same assembly line in main land China.
Same for normal PCs. At least the barebones are mass-produced.
Nowadays companies like HP or Sony are mostly marketing firms. They manufacture only a small percentage of the stuff they sell under their own brand.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #7 - 12/24/10 at 13:33:28
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 12/24/10 at 11:04:20:
Since I often travel to tournaments, portability is important to me. I've found that for everything except deep analysis my little Samsung NC10 netbook with 2 Gig of RAM meets my needs! It runs Chessbase and various engines.

Yes, I also use a Samsung Netbook which is perfectly adequate for ChessBase and Rybka needs when preparing during tournaments.
Nowadays the portability is even more important to me as the budget airlines all charge more for baggage, so I also have a cabin bag with special computer compartment and the 1.2kg weight leaves plenty of room for clothes!
One further thing, the long battery life: I managed to cover a complete Austrian league weekend (4 matches) using just the battery. Smiley

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #6 - 12/24/10 at 11:04:20
Post Tools
Fausto Alava-Moreno wrote on 12/24/10 at 06:34:08:
Fausto Alava-Moreno wrote on 12/24/10 at 06:32:59:
Core Duo is important.
4 Gb of RAM is important
HD size not, you can always use an external one to have your databases, etc.

For me, 43 years old, the 17 inches screen is a MUST. I also play other strategical games, as Poker.  Grin

My HP was a bargain, the last one so it was only 100 € above the 15 inches similar model. And also have a DVT sintonizer, and other pluses like DVD burner with lighscribe, things that now are on media computers.

But, of course it depend on the money you are interested in invest on your computer.

buddho wrote on 12/23/10 at 22:20:56:
Thanks for the info Fausto. Your model sounds perfect, but is outside of my price range.

Which of those specifications is essential and which could i lower?

Thanks  Wink

Since I often travel to tournaments, portability is important to me. I've found that for everything except deep analysis my little Samsung NC10 netbook with 2 Gig of RAM meets my needs! It runs Chessbase and various engines.

At home I use a decent Dell desktop and Samsung R580 laptop.

IP Logged

Fausto Alava-Moreno

I Love Holistic Chess!!

Reply #5 - 12/24/10 at 06:32:59
Post Tools

Core Duo is important.
4 Gb of RAM is important
HD size not, you can always use an external one to have your databases, etc.

For me, 43 years old, the 17 inches screen is a MUST. I also play other strategical games, as Poker.  Grin

My HP was a bargain, the last one so it was only 100 € above the 15 inches similar model. And also have a DVT sintonizer, and other pluses like DVD burner with lighscribe, things that now are on media computers.

But, of course it depend on the money you are interested in put on your computer.

buddho wrote on 12/23/10 at 22:20:56:
Thanks for the info Fausto. Your model sounds perfect, but is outside of my price range.

Thanks  Wink

--

Best regards, Fausto.
IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #4 - 12/23/10 at 23:35:17
Post Tools
Jesse Gersenson wrote on 12/23/10 at 22:08:13:
Nick, depends on the price. How much do you want to spend?

Any dual core machine would be fine. Maybe you'll need to add a little ram.

Thinkpad T60 or Thinkpad T61, or Thinkpad Z61.

I have a Thinkpad T61 and it works perfectly on my laptop.

IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/23/10 at 22:20:56
Post Tools

Thanks  Wink

IP Logged

Jesse Gersenson

Piece value = Mobility
+ targets

Reply #2 - 12/23/10 at 22:08:13
Post Tools
Nick, depends on the price. How much do you want to spend?

Any dual core machine would be fine. Maybe you'll need to add a little ram.

Thinkpad T60 or Thinkpad T61, or Thinkpad Z61.

IP Logged

Fausto Alava-Moreno

I Love Holistic Chess!!

Reply #1 - 12/23/10 at 19:20:38
Post Tools
I am using a HP that has 2 years.

Core Duo T7000 Series with 4 Gb of RAM and a HD of 320 GBs.

17" of screen  Wink

But any new laptop of 600 € should be fine to work with ChessBase 11 and Rybka 4.

I am using ChessBase 2009 Premium and Deep Rybka 4 (with the Chess Program 12 interface, the same of Fritz 12)

--

Best regards, Fausto.
IP Logged

buddho

I Love ChessPublishing!

Laptop for Chessbase & Rybka?
12/23/10 at 17:50:03
Post Tools
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a second hand laptop, specifically for using Chessbase & Rybka. Can anybody suggest one that is cheap, but can support these two programs.

Thanks in advance, Nick.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo