Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Universal Weapon - 1.d4 d6 (Read 23390 times)
motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Re: A Universal Weapon - 1.d4 d6
Reply #19 - 02/28/11 at 22:28:28
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 02/27/11 at 14:32:00:
Paddy wrote on 02/27/11 at 14:19:32:
[quote author=23080312610 link=1294185627/16#16 date=1298765886]Barsky ducks the problem by leaving out 1 d4 d6 2 e4 altogether.

Not entirely. Barsky wrote a separate book on 1 d4 d6 2 e4:

http://www.chess-stars.com/graphics/eshop/books_special/Philidor_contents.pdf

Yes
this was given yet earlier on. And  Grin perhaps there will be a third book too on say 1.c4/1.Nf3/else 1...d6. Cheesy
That's why I gave the advice to take Yrjölä/Tella...

As given above I own that Philidor-book by Barsky. And I am clearly not impressed at all with it. A slim work without alternatives in the mainline. Bauer's "Philidor files" is way ahead to this.
And the basic structure in both Barsky-books overall is the same... I don't really like it...

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #18 - 02/27/11 at 14:32:00
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 02/27/11 at 14:19:32:
[quote author=23080312610 link=1294185627/16#16 date=1298765886]Barsky ducks the problem by leaving out 1 d4 d6 2 e4 altogether.

Not entirely. Barsky wrote a separate book on 1 d4 d6 2 e4:

http://www.chess-stars.com/graphics/eshop/books_special/Philidor_contents.pdf

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #17 - 02/27/11 at 14:19:32
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 02/27/11 at 00:18:06:
motörhead wrote on 02/26/11 at 21:22:30:
rukh wrote on 02/26/11 at 17:20:21:
Still no comments on the content of the book. Is it good? This opening looks like something I'd like to play against the English.

In my quote above you'll find a link that gives insights in the content.
There ist nothing on 1.c4 asf. It only deals with 1.d4, but there are of course move orderings to the English. So if you want to play 1...d6 against 1.c4, I would suggest to buy "An explosive Chess opening repertoire for Black" by Yrjölä/Tella (Gambit). It's a bit dated, but I don't think that this really matters. Against 1.c4 it's more the plans that count. And after all the book offers a complete repertoire with 1...d6 in one book.

Yes, a great book. Heartily concur.
Explains well, good examples used, solid material.

Seconded!  The non-Pirc part of Yrjölä/Tella is its great strength though. One gets the impression that they were unsure what to recommend against 1 d4 d6 2 e4 and plumped for the Pirc with some reluctance. Barsky ducks the problem by leaving out 1 d4 d6 2 e4 altogether.

Davies's DVD (d6 Universal) is also useful.

BTW today there is a review of the Barsky book at

http://www.thechessmind.net

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #16 - 02/27/11 at 00:18:06
Post Tools
motörhead wrote on 02/26/11 at 21:22:30:
Still no comments on the content of the book. Is it good? This opening looks like something I'd like to play against the English.

There ist nothing on 1.c4 asf. It only deals with 1.d4, but there are of course move orderings to the English. So if you want to play 1...d6 against 1.c4, I would suggest to buy "An explosive Chess opening repertoire for Black" by Yrjölä/Tella (Gambit). It's a bit dated, but I don't think that this really matters. Against 1.c4 it's more the plans that count. And after all the book offers a complete repertoire with 1...d6 in one book.

Yes, a great book. Heartily concur.
Explains well, good examples used, solid material.

IP Logged

motörhead

in the guts...

Reply #15 - 02/26/11 at 21:22:30
Post Tools

IP Logged

rukh

Reply #14 - 02/26/11 at 17:20:21
Post Tools

IP Logged

Conzipe
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 02/15/11 at 23:30:32
Post Tools
I don't have any opinion on the book (perhaps because I haven't even heard of it before I looked in this thread!) but I do have some opinions about 1. d4 d6.

As a 1. d4 player myself I must say that I'm terrified of this variation as there are many reasonable looking ideas for black which has barely been analyzed and therefore the chance of being surprised in those variation are relatively high. Therefore I always chicken out a bit by playing 2. e4 against this and getting into more well-known territories.   Undecided

Don't listen to what I just said, I'm just a patzer pretending to know something.

IP Logged

motörhead

in the guts...

Reply #12 - 01/11/11 at 21:11:55
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 01/05/11 at 16:58:28:
That is what i mean. You must get also the second book for that (1...d6 after 1.d4)  to be a really universal weapon.

So it is. Barsky himself acc. to his preface gives this (but too gives the Pirc as a possibility to play against 1.e4).
On
www.schachversand.de/DBBilder/leseprob/LOBAR1D4D6.pdf
you get some insights in Barsky's halfway universal 1...d6 weapon.

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 01/10/11 at 23:07:34
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/10/11 at 14:21:29:
Phil Adams wrote on 01/10/11 at 14:17:24:
I should declare an interest.  Chess Stars books tend to be translated into English from Russian by a Bulgarian - with fairly predictable results as regards the quality of the text. The contents are usually so good that many of us have been happy to overlook the often dodgy and at times incompehensible English, but for some readers this is definitely off-putting. However, in this book readers should find that the text reads much more fluently, since I helped Chess Stars eliminate a lot of the poor English in order to produce a text that should read a lot more smoothly, even if it is not perfect.

Did you help out with Squeezing the Gambits as well?

No.

IP Logged

motörhead

in the guts...

Reply #10 - 01/10/11 at 22:00:44
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/05/11 at 14:19:01:
parisestmagique wrote on 01/05/11 at 08:20:47:
I dont have this book but there are already some on this subject. After 1.d4 d6 2.e4!? (2.c4 e5!? is an English) you have to like the Pirc, Modern Defense, Philidor or Czech opening.

I think that's the idea, as Barsky just wrote a book on the "Modern Phillidor", reached from the Pirc move order.

I own Barsky's "Modern Philidor" and to my feeling it is a waste of money if you own e.g. Bauer's "Philidor Files". Barsky offers the cold coffee for a second time.
What's really disappointing: To the main line Philidor with 7.Re1 c6 8.a4 he takes the inflexible 8...a5 as the only answer. What about modern? What about 8...b6? Or what about the inspiring (nearly) new 7...a6? No comment by Barsky...
Okay, that's Philidor. But I fear with his book on 1...d6 he to a large extend may only have reworked (and here an there refined) the "Explosive Opening repertoire".
I too would have liked to see someone write on the oldschool Oldindian with e7-e5, Nb8-d7 and Bf8-e7 instead of that Bc8-g4-thing, interesting as it may be. But the old way - formerly played frome time to time by Petrosjan, Kotow, Bronstein and even Tal - seems to be simply to passive and so is off the track. 

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #9 - 01/10/11 at 14:21:29
Post Tools
Phil Adams wrote on 01/10/11 at 14:17:24:
I should declare an interest.  Chess Stars books tend to be translated into English from Russian by a Bulgarian - with fairly predictable results as regards the quality of the text. The contents are usually so good that many of us have been happy to overlook the often dodgy and at times incompehensible English, but for some readers this is definitely off-putting. However, in this book readers should find that the text reads much more fluently, since I helped Chess Stars eliminate a lot of the poor English in order to produce a text that should read a lot more smoothly, even if it is not perfect.

Did you help out with Squeezing the Gambits as well?

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/10/11 at 14:17:24
Post Tools
I’ve just received the book. It has the usual Chess Stars structure (each chapter comprises three sections: Quick Repertoire, Step by Step, Complete Games) and has the usual production values, which combine a small-format book (slightly less than A5) with nice paper, clear typeface, two columns and plenty of diagrams. The fairly light weight of the 224 page book is a real boon in these days of high prices for taking luggage on aircraft. In my view the only things seriously lacking in the book design-wise are a detailed index of variations and an index of the players of the illustrative games.

The 1 …d6 system is an interesting “unbalancing” defence which is solid enough to be playable on a regular basis, yet provides decent chances for Black to play for a win. It’s also very flexible, with many independent lines as well as possibilities of transposing to favourable (or favourite) versions of other defences such as the King’s Indian, Old Indian, Pirc, Modern or Philidor. It is no accident that 1 …d6 has been an important long-term element of the repertoires of GMs such as Hodgson, Hickl, Azmaiparashvili, Strikovic, Agrest and McNab. It has also been used sporadically by strong GMs such as Bologan, Smirin, Krasenkow and Tkachiev. I see two great advantages with this defence: 1) it sidesteps annoying d-pawn openings such as the Trompowski and Torre; 2) it can be used against 1 c4 and 1 Nf3 as well as 1 d4, so you only need to choose a single congenial “partner” defence to play against 1 d4 d6 2 e4 / 1 e4 and your Black repertoire is completed in a fairly economical fashion

I should declare an interest.  Chess Stars books tend to be translated into English from Russian by a Bulgarian - with fairly predictable results as regards the quality of the text. The contents are usually so good that many of us have been happy to overlook the often dodgy and at times incompehensible English, but for some readers this is definitely off-putting. However, readers should find that this book reads much more smoothly, since I helped Chess Stars eliminate a lot of the poor English in order to produce a more fluent (although probably not perfect) text.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 01/06/11 at 08:40:26
Post Tools
I've ordered this book.

I've been playing Universal d6 for over 10 years now, and so I'm interestested to see if there is anything new in this book, but not expecting much, giving Barsky the oppportunity to delight me  Smiley

I prefer to meet 2. Nf3 with 2. ...g6 and go Kings Indian, having avoided a number of White systems, but the Wade defence might come back as an option if this book convinces me.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #6 - 01/06/11 at 07:58:18
Post Tools
It's a little disappointing that Barsky's recommendation after 2.Nf3 is the Wade/Hodgson line (2...Bg4), which is the main recommendation in Yrjola & Tella's "Explosive Repertoire for Black". I would have preferred to see a repertoire based on the main lines of the Old Indian, especially since this would have been a better fit with Barsky's book on the Modern Philidor. The forthcoming book by Cherniaev and Prokuronov doesn't cover the main lines of the Old Indian either.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #5 - 01/05/11 at 16:58:28
Post Tools
That is what i mean. You must get also the second book for that (1...d6 after 1.d4)  to be a really universal weapon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo