Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Fight the Marshall (Read 4109 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Fight the Marshall
Reply #6 - 02/14/11 at 01:06:43
Post Tools
I think that Black's chances against the Marshall are quite good. Black's game is difficult, but full of promise.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 02/13/11 at 23:47:33
Post Tools
The Noteboom is such a peculiar line that you could argue the same way some do about the Dragon: In this opening the better overall player doesn't necessarily win, but the player who understands these particular positions better wins.

I've watched a 1300 beat a 2000 with the Noteboom. For good results against other amateurs I don't think it's a bad choice at all. But the problem of course is how often you will actually reach it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 02/13/11 at 19:14:23
Post Tools
Well, I can imagine someone enjoying Black's perspectives on the queenside in the Noteboom and not enjoying the perspective of defending a passive position for an extra pawn in the Marshall.
Concerning club players: I have seen quite a few of them who had no idea of the Marshallgambit nor how to get that pawn on c4 back nor how to get compensation for it. It attracts clubplayers with a certain attitude to chess though. If you are going to argue that it is a bad idea for young aspiring players I agree.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #3 - 02/13/11 at 14:30:25
Post Tools
I don't really understand why anyone would play the triangle, which presumably is an attempt to reach the devlishly complicated Noteboom, and be unwilling to take on the Marshall. If someone only wants to play a Meran, there are much safer ways of reaching it than playing the triangle.

P.S. I think the triangle is a very doubtful system for club players and below to take up. Danger lies there.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Chess_Addict

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 02/13/11 at 10:38:33
Post Tools
I had a chat about this ...Bb4 move with GM Godena who is extremely well prepared and he too agreed that it's not a brilliant solution to black's problems. this was quite some time ago but I don't recall him playing ...Bb4 recently (at least in serious games).

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 01/19/11 at 00:55:02
Post Tools
If you're a subscriber to the 1.d4 d5 section, you'll find out where and why Scherbakov disagrees with Watson.  Wink

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Fight the Marshall
01/18/11 at 23:24:29
Post Tools
No its not the Ruy Marshall but his d4 Marshall....

Watson says on page 99  of mastering chess openings that quite  a few top players have used 4...Bb4 it avoids tons of theory, and the out come depends on strategic thinking then memorising variations.   
After 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c6 4.e4 Bb4
A). 5. e5 Ne7 (5...c5 is sound move as well) 6.a3 Bxc3 7.bxc3 b6 (7...Bc5!?)

B) 5.cd5 exd5 6.e5 Ne7 (or 6...c5  7.a3 Ba5; or 6...Bf5) 7.Nf3 c5 (or 7...Bf5 8.Be2 0-0) 8.a3 Bxc3 9.bxc3 Nbc6 10Be2 Bg4 then says"It's fair to call this position dynamically equal.  White has space, dark squares, and the bishop pair...."

C). Qg4 Nf6 6.Qg7 Rg8 7Qh6 "while 7...dxe4 7...rg6 and 7...c5 are all equal or better for black"

D). 5.Bd2 dxc4 6.Bc4 Nf6 7.Qe2 Qxd4 8.Nf3 Qd8 9.0-0 "with modest compensation for the pawn"
My question is he right?  And note d is black ok?

Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo