Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wojo's Weapons: Winning With White, Volume 2 (Read 42302 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: Wojo's Weapons: Winning With White, Volume 2
Reply #40 - 04/16/12 at 07:31:23
Post Tools

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #39 - 04/15/12 at 18:11:39
Post Tools

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #38 - 02/26/12 at 07:01:26
Post Tools
Is there any recent development on the status of Volume 3 yet?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #37 - 11/07/11 at 09:43:00
Post Tools
GabrielGale wrote on 11/07/11 at 01:47:04:
Quote:
Unfortunately, their hand-waving about "ideas" in the first chapter rather obscures the actual repertoire (there is a big hole in their closed catalan chapter from the first book. 

I'll note that after 7...Qa5 8 e4 e5 9 h3 is the main move, and point you to page 32 where a game is covered that has 7...Qa5 8 h3 e5 9 e4 move order.  It's not deeply covered though.

Thanks Pantu. I missed that. This is my first pass through the book and things have not really stuck in my mind as yet.
I checked Megabase and found  3 (or 4?) Wojo games in this line. Interesting why the authors did not include an analysis oif those games (yes one fo them was a quick draw but the other two were not.)
Back to the game Hilton - Zlotnikov, after 7 Nc3 Qa5 8 h3, they had a note saying they recommend 8 e4. But the point is Black's move after 8 e4. Here Zlotnikov played 8...e5 but the authors in Ch 11 only looked at ...Qh5 and ...Bg4.

Perhaps, taking an inspiration from the authors project, we can try to work something out here in ChessPub in this thread (or a new thread ?) on how White should proceed after ...Qa5 e4 e5? I will look up the games form Megabase. Perhaps "Fling" can spare not notes on what problems he is encountering with this line?

If I find something I'll post it. But in this case, we were discussing vol 1, since Pantu mentioned there was a 'big hole' in the analysis in that one.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #36 - 11/07/11 at 01:47:04
Post Tools
Quote:
Unfortunately, their hand-waving about "ideas" in the first chapter rather obscures the actual repertoire (there is a big hole in their closed catalan chapter from the first book. 

I'll note that after 7...Qa5 8 e4 e5 9 h3 is the main move, and point you to page 32 where a game is covered that has 7...Qa5 8 h3 e5 9 e4 move order.  It's not deeply covered though.

Thanks Pantu. I missed that. This is my first pass through the book and things have not really stuck in my mind as yet.
I checked Megabase and found  3 (or 4?) Wojo games in this line. Interesting why the authors did not include an analysis oif those games (yes one fo them was a quick draw but the other two were not.)
Back to the game Hilton - Zlotnikov, after 7 Nc3 Qa5 8 h3, they had a note saying they recommend 8 e4. But the point is Black's move after 8 e4. Here Zlotnikov played 8...e5 but the authors in Ch 11 only looked at ...Qh5 and ...Bg4.

Perhaps, taking an inspiration from the authors project, we can try to work something out here in ChessPub in this thread (or a new thread ?) on how White should proceed after ...Qa5 e4 e5? I will look up the games form Megabase. Perhaps "Fling" can spare not notes on what problems he is encountering with this line?

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 11/06/11 at 12:17:16
Post Tools
Thx, Pantu! I will have a look at this.

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 11/06/11 at 11:56:21
Post Tools
Quote:
"...as we'll learn later, 12...h6 and 12...c5 are two stronger moves"...I had thought 12...c5 wasn't mentioned either, but found it when searching for this

Sorry, just checked this again, and I was right that neither are mentioned as it is 12 Nxe4 c5 that is covered and not 12 Ng5 c5.  But to be fair, they do suggest that 12 Nxe4 is their main line, although I side with Avrukh that 12 Ng5 is more promising for white.

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/06/11 at 11:42:01
Post Tools
Well, 'big hole' is perhaps an exaggeration, but in the very first game in Chapter 1 they have a note "...as we'll learn later, 12...h6 and 12...c5 are two stronger moves".  but 12...h6 isn't mentioned anywhere else as far as I can tell.  I had thought 12...c5 wasn't mentioned either, but found it when searching for this...this muddle means that I needed to do a lot of work entering all analysis to a database and merging/pruning.

There are quite a few similar holes throughout the repertoire, where I wonder what the idea is against a certain well known move and discover it is not covered at all. e.g. I wonder what to do in the QGA line, after 7 dxc5 Bxc5 8 Qxd8 Kxd8 9 Be2 Ke7 10 Ne5 Bd7, played by - amongst others - Ivanchuk, Kasparov (vs Kramnik!) and Shirov.

Generally I think their approach is interesting, but they seem to want the book to be too many things (repertoire guide, tribute, middlegame book) which makes it a muddle, with pages devoted to things not relevant to the repertoire and completely missing stuff that is.  There is at least one place with 2 pages of analysis of a line where Avrukh just gives '+=' which was my reaction when looking at the position as well - a position to play, not to analyse.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 11/06/11 at 11:09:24
Post Tools
Quote:

What line is this? I have notice some things missing, but nothing major yet.

I haven't yet looked too much at vol 2, but the 7 ...Qa5 line is what I have had most problems playing against in my blitz testing so far.

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 11/06/11 at 09:40:15
Post Tools

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #30 - 11/02/11 at 12:17:32
Post Tools
As indicated in another thread, I have been working through Wojo vol 2 partly to learn the KID fianchetto (a bit of a fetish with me to fianchetto my bishop) as well as to learn a bit more of positional play. I enjoyed the early main chapters. I have sort of reach Ch 11 where the authors concentrate on Black's response on the 6th move, 6...c6. (The repertoire is mainline 6...Nbd7, then 6...Nc6, then 6...c5). Ch 11 deals with what the authors call the "Kavalek system" with a 7...Qa5. Now the authors recommend 8 e4 (funnily enough the authors seem to suggest this is not as common as other moves but in my TWIC database (1 million games since 1992) this has been played 505 times whilst 8 h3 has been played 271 times  Undecided) and they go on to consider only two Black responses, 8...Qh5 and 8...Bg4. According to TWIC database, 8...Qh5 was played 97 times and 8...Bg4 played 186 times. But the authors do not discuss 8...e5 played 221 times!!!

What is going on? Am I missing anything? I checked and I don't think there is a transposition to any other part of the repertoire. Is this a hole in the repertoire?

I ran this position with Hiarcs 13 and its opening book and it recommends 8 e4 and gives it a "!!".

Can anyone who has Wojo vol 2 and who has gone through the book and/or who plays the KID fianchetto as White  please help out? Any explanation? Thanks in advance.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 09/25/11 at 18:26:51
Post Tools
Jonathan_Hilton wrote on 09/23/11 at 20:52:19:
Hi fling,

Well, to answer your question--I'm working feverishly on it right now. The project got off to a bit of a slow start since I was traveling in Europe, but I've settled down in a cozy little Belgian town and am able to work on it more or less full time.

The biggest part will cover the Grunfeld. We have a lot of surprise weapons/novelties, and in general we're finding relatively big advantages for White, so this section should be quite strong.

The rest of the book will cover everything else. We're talking Dutches, Symmetrical English stuff, all kinds of random sidelines, you name it. I think the book will likely be split half and half between the Grunfeld and the other lines, but we'll see how it shapes out.

Most of the analysis is already done, so the bulk of the writing is going to take place over the next three or four months.

Hope that helps!

Jonathan Hilton

Great news, it sure helps! Unfortunately, not for this years series though Smiley On the other hand, I am not quite done with the first two volumes, lol!

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #28 - 09/24/11 at 07:54:40
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 09/24/11 at 03:42:10:
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 09/23/11 at 22:24:41:
I assume the Fianchetto will be recommended against the Grünfeld? Will the book try to improve on the games of the Khanty-Mansiysk Olympiad in 2010 where there were many games with the 10. Re1 a5 line?

Jonathan Hilton answered that question in an earlier post that you can read if you simply scan this page:

Quote:
We'll be tackling the Grunfeld head-on in Volume III as well. We will be recommending some strong lines in the Fianchetto Grunfeld, with a lot of original analysis from Dean, and hopefully some of my own favorite lines featuring Qe1 if there's space.

We'll also need to cover the Dutch, something we didn't do in Volume I. With any luck, Volume III will wrap everything up, and will probably be 400+ pages.

But does that specifically refer to the 10. Re1 a5 line?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #27 - 09/24/11 at 03:42:10
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 09/23/11 at 22:24:41:
I assume the Fianchetto will be recommended against the Grünfeld? Will the book try to improve on the games of the Khanty-Mansiysk Olympiad in 2010 where there were many games with the 10. Re1 a5 line?

Jonathan Hilton answered that question in an earlier post that you can read if you simply scan this page:

Quote:
We'll be tackling the Grunfeld head-on in Volume III as well. We will be recommending some strong lines in the Fianchetto Grunfeld, with a lot of original analysis from Dean, and hopefully some of my own favorite lines featuring Qe1 if there's space.

We'll also need to cover the Dutch, something we didn't do in Volume I. With any luck, Volume III will wrap everything up, and will probably be 400+ pages.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #26 - 09/23/11 at 22:24:41
Post Tools

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo