Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What can be learned from 2. Na3 vs. the Sicilian (Read 11184 times)
Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Re: What can be learned from 2. Na3 vs. the Sicilian
Reply #1 - 02/12/11 at 04:54:57
Post Tools
George Jempty wrote on 02/12/11 at 01:24:24:
I don't see any "world class" (2690+) players using 2. Na3 in the last 5 years.  So the flirtation is over, but can we find a pattern against which Na3 is appropriate for White as part of an anti-Sicilian strategy?

I've taken up 2. c3 vs. the Sicilian in the past three or four years and have been quite pleased.  A couple of years ago I was playing on board two of the final round of the Atlanta championship, when the game on board one ended in a quick draw after 2. c3 Qa5?!

I went home and researched this and as it turns out one of the fine moves at White's disposal in that position is 3. Na3 with a key difference between it and the more ordinary (but nevertheless also fine) move 3. Nf3 is that, White regains the psychological edge, countering the unusual with the unusual.

Of course an early Na3 by White is a well known option in another line of the 2. c3 Sicilian: 2...d5  3. exd5 Qxd5  4. d4 Nf6  5. Nf3 e6  6. Na3.  But there is another position where it might be appropriate as early as move 3 against the Sicilian, 1. e4 c5  2. Nf3 Qa5?!  3. Na3, again with the added benefit of regaining the psychological advantage.

What is the pattern behind all of these lines that makes Na3 so viable?  Early exposure of Black's queen.

So whether you are 1700-something like me, or 2700-something, keep seeking out patterns, they pay off.

Huh? What's with all the self-obsessed warbling in all these threads?
Ask questions and lots of patient folk will try to answer (notably mnb and tn) as helpfully as possible.
Or bring variations to the table for discussion.

IP Logged

George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

What can be learned from 2. Na3 vs. the Sicilian
02/12/11 at 01:24:24
Post Tools
I don't see any "world class" (2690+) players using 2. Na3 in the last 5 years.  So the flirtation is over, but can we find a pattern against which Na3 is appropriate for White as part of an anti-Sicilian strategy?

I've taken up 2. c3 vs. the Sicilian in the past three or four years and have been quite pleased.  A couple of years ago I was playing on board two of the final round of the Atlanta championship, when the game on board one ended in a quick draw after 2. c3 Qa5?!

I went home and researched this and as it turns out one of the fine moves at White's disposal in that position is 3. Na3 with a key difference between it and the more ordinary (but nevertheless also fine) move 3. Nf3 is that, White regains the psychological edge, countering the unusual with the unusual.

Of course an early Na3 by White is a well known option in another line of the 2. c3 Sicilian: 2...d5  3. exd5 Qxd5  4. d4 Nf6  5. Nf3 e6  6. Na3.  But there is another position where it might be appropriate as early as move 3 against the Sicilian, 1. e4 c5  2. Nf3 Qa5?!  3. Na3, again with the added benefit of regaining the psychological advantage.

What is the pattern behind all of these lines that makes Na3 so viable?  Early exposure of Black's queen.

So whether you are 1700-something like me, or 2700-something, keep seeking out patterns, they pay off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo