Latest Updates:
Normal Topic London vs stonewall vs colle-z (Read 5806 times)
walkingterrapin

Why play the Colle when
you can play 1.e4!!!!!!!!!

Re: London vs stonewall vs colle-z
Reply #4 - 06/07/11 at 17:54:59
Post Tools
Try the Queens Gambit or just use the old colle system without the Q-side fianchetto both are very easy and not full of theory.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #3 - 05/21/11 at 11:18:23
Post Tools
Well, to any d-Pawn Special subscriber I suppose the answer is clear, as Eric likes the London and has a very low opinion of the Colle and Stonewall! Wink
Why can't you just play all 3 openings for a while and see which you feel happiest with and gives you the best results?

IP Logged

Nfinity
YaBB Newbies

Hello chess fiends!

Reply #2 - 05/20/11 at 18:33:59
Post Tools
Halfacreek, you're not going to find many people here recommending that you play X system over Y system.  Face it: you're on an openings website where people go to discuss openings, all sorts of them.  They're here because they like sampling the delicacies of various openings, not playing the same system against all responses.  Most of the folks here won't think too highly of rattling off the same 7+ moves in every game.  It's sort of like asking "How do you like your steak?" at a forum full of vegetarians. 

With that said, why are you trying to find "the best" among those systems?  Play what you enjoy!  If you want an opening advantage (or IMO an interesting game, period), you'd play main line stuff.  None of the three are bad, so go for whatever floats your boat.

IP Logged

Paul123

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 03/03/11 at 21:28:15
Post Tools
I prefer the London system but the Colle-z is good too.  I too like the Stonewall...(if black allows it) I'd explore a reverse French with an early b4 against a KID and Grunfeld if I played the Stonewall.

IP Logged

halfacreek
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

London vs stonewall vs colle-z
03/01/11 at 16:36:11
Post Tools
Hello d-pawners!  I'd like your opinions on the london, stonewall and colle-z. Out of the 3 which do you feel has the best overall pedigree? I like the stonewall - the attack is awesome when you can get it....otherwise you have to deal with the dark-squared B being stuck on the back rank along with the R. The London solves the problem of the DSB by developing it before playing e3 whereas the Colle-Z also solves the DSB by fianchetto. 

I want to just get into a playable middlegame where I'm comfortable and understand the middlegame ideas and fight on the homecourt. I play the french and Dutch Stonewall as black and enjoy both immensely. However, I want to settle on just one white and would like your opinions on the plusses and minuses of each and which would you recommend as the main choice.

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo