Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Correspondence Chess Websites? (Read 17306 times)
Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Re: Correspondence Chess Websites?
Reply #7 - 03/06/11 at 12:41:05
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 03/06/11 at 12:36:46:
Do the rules mention anything about whether consulting books and databases, or discussing positions with friends etc are allowed?

Or for that matter, do the rules mention if it's allowed to sit down while you ponder your move? There could be people who are still standing up while analysing and that might affect their performance negatively...

I asked my national delegate at ICCF about this - anything is allowed. Even posting your games here or sending them to the moon  Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #6 - 03/06/11 at 12:36:46
Post Tools
Do the rules mention anything about whether consulting books and databases, or discussing positions with friends etc are allowed?

Or for that matter, do the rules mention if it's allowed to sit down while you ponder your move? There could be people who are still standing up while analysing and that might affect their performance negatively...

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #5 - 03/06/11 at 12:35:53
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/06/11 at 12:23:52:
Doesn't that leave a situation where some players don't use computers while others do, yet there is no accounting or accommodation made for this gross disadvantage? Or is anyone who doesn't use one just relegated to being rated much lower in the face of masses who do, so that players self-segregate, in effect? Or is it that everyone does but no one says so publicly? Or does no one know? All of those alternatives seem rather unpleasant to me.

Indeed (and this really astonishes me) some players don't use computers on ICCF - I played some corr. games where I simply won after some 15 moves cause my opponent blundered a piece.

As a matter of fact you have to use a computer on ICCF to compete - and if only for blunder check. I don't want to start a new discussion here about using comps and if only comps play the games, if people with stronger engines win and so on - certainly corr. chess is more a mastery of analysis than playing the game. And if you invest more time in this analysis you have better chances to win - I once read in a New in Chess Yearbook that a corr. player spent 200 hours on 1 move!

I am a working person, who plays otb and corr. chess - I know that my success is limited by various factors, but my fun not!

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #4 - 03/06/11 at 12:23:52
Post Tools
Doesn't that leave a situation where some players don't use computers while others do, yet there is no accounting or accommodation made for this gross disadvantage? Or is anyone who doesn't use one just relegated to being rated much lower in the face of masses who do, so that players self-segregate, in effect? Or is it that everyone does but no one says so publicly? Or does no one know? All of those alternatives seem rather unpleasant to me.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #3 - 03/06/11 at 11:37:21
Post Tools
kevinfat wrote on 03/06/11 at 04:48:56:
You sure that iccf allows computers? I heard that they don't allow computers but don't make any effort to offically enforce no computers.

ICCF rules make no mention of computers at all.

Presumably because:
a) to ban them would be pointless since it would be completely unenforceable.
b) to say that players can use computers would seem to be encouraging them.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

kevinfat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/06/11 at 04:48:56
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/06/11 at 03:06:46:
That's weird, because the thread on the chesspub team is not that far away. And we play at the biggest corr chess server around:

http://www.iccf-webchess.com/

You sure that iccf allows computers? I heard that they don't allow computers but don't make any effort to offically enforce no computers.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 03/06/11 at 03:06:46
Post Tools
That's weird, because the thread on the chesspub team is not that far away. And we play at the biggest corr chess server around:

http://www.iccf-webchess.com/

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kevinfat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Correspondence Chess Websites?
03/05/11 at 22:44:45
Post Tools
What is a comprehensive list of correspondence websites which allow computers?

I know of only www.ficgs.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo