Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Correspondence Chess Websites? (Read 25899 times)
Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Re: Correspondence Chess Websites?
Reply #37 - 12/18/12 at 14:13:08
Post Tools
Yes, the tournament is;

LSS Two-Game-Matches 20 days Basic plus 2 days per move with vacation 14 Days per Tournament/year. It is Double Round Robin (means one opponent)

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #36 - 12/18/12 at 13:39:12
Post Tools
Yes, Vass, the people here are usually friendly and helpful, thanks againg Smiley

Anyway, I am thinking about it, but not sure. I just want to play maybe 2 games at a time. It seems like LSS and ICCF mainly have tournaments and I don't have time for that right not. But I haven't had a closer look. Based on what Hacker just posted, it seems as if there are two-game matches available too.

IP Logged

Vass
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 12/18/12 at 12:23:08
Post Tools
fling, if you need an advice for choosing a server/site for your future cc tries, you know we're here.  Wink

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #34 - 12/18/12 at 11:59:59
Post Tools
Hacker, yes, I actually noticed that after my last post. Thanks for answering!

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #33 - 12/18/12 at 10:19:01
Post Tools
I am playing on both ICCF and LSS and both allows computers. E.g. take a look at the Tournament types on LSS:
Tournament Types
Quote:
LSS Anniversary Tournament
The LSS Masters Tournaments
LSS Open Tournaments
The LSS No Engine C
LSS Pyramid
LSS Two-Game-Matches
LSS Chess960 Standardtournaments
IECG World Championships
IECG Cups
IECG Server Tournaments
IECG Rapid Tournaments
The IECG Level Schemes
Chessfriend.com Tournaments

My interpretation is that "not ban" equals "allow" (iccf).

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 12/18/12 at 08:53:36
Post Tools
trw wrote on 03/10/11 at 06:27:47:
kevinfat wrote on 03/10/11 at 02:34:30:
So is the concensus that only www.ficgs.com officially allows computers?

The only site that doesn't allow computers is the uscf. ficgs, iccf, iecg, lss, netchess, and all the rest do.

Wait, I am really confused. I thought it was mentioned here that iecg, iccf and lss don't ban computer use. In one reply it even says LSS allows computer assistance.

I am thinking of trying some cc but want to know at what server to start.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #31 - 03/11/11 at 07:31:59
Post Tools
Uhohspaghettio wrote on 03/11/11 at 00:53:25:
TalJechin wrote on 03/10/11 at 22:02:23:
[quote author=7D5144555D5148300 link=1299365085/21#21 date=1299742565]
As comparison, try to imagine an OTB berger-tournament where all players are forbidden to prepare for their games in the tournament...

I think a better analogy is an OTB tournament where people are allowed to use computers as they're playing.

IMO correspondance games when allowing engines in this day and age aren't competitive in any sense. Maybe they are like writing a story, but there's no competition in it.

I don't believe in a good cc player vs a bad cc player when both players have Rybka left on for as long as possible and the only inaccuracies they make are when they don't agree with Rybka's first choice.

In OTB it's the preps that scare people off their favourite openings and in a way 'spoils the game' as you can't simply play knowing that there may be prepared snags in all your favourite lines...
Some players are even getting a bit paranoid about it. And just imagine how valuable a prep would be if your opponent's haven't been allowed to prep. Especially since it's impossible to prove that someone has prepped.

As for your other statement, I still believe in my football-coach analogy. As an experiment, you could try to play against a corr game against rybka, being yourself assisted by rybka and other engines, and if you're anything of a chessplayer at all, you'd win. Corr is a lot about long term risk evaluation, which is not a factor for any engine I know.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 03/11/11 at 06:53:07
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/11/11 at 03:59:32:
Gambit wrote on 03/10/11 at 08:28:28:
What is your opinion, ladies and gentlemen?

That you can be a very sensible guy if you want to.
I agree completely with you.
Now just remind: when I am discussing all kind of gambit lines, I am always wondering: would I lose with them if I tried them in corr. chess?  Wink

I have played about 100 games of gambit lines in corr with white and black. I've only lost once so far. But many many draws. I often end up in pawn down endgames that are drawn. But sometimes you get scorching wins  Cool

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #29 - 03/11/11 at 03:59:32
Post Tools
Gambit wrote on 03/10/11 at 08:28:28:
What is your opinion, ladies and gentlemen?

That you can be a very sensible guy if you want to.
I agree completely with you.
Now just remind: when I am discussing all kind of gambit lines, I am always wondering: would I lose with them if I tried them in corr. chess?  Wink

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #28 - 03/11/11 at 01:30:38
Post Tools
Uhohspaghettio wrote on 03/11/11 at 00:53:25:
As comparison, try to imagine an OTB berger-tournament where all players are forbidden to prepare for their games in the tournament...

I think a better analogy is an OTB tournament where people are allowed to use computers as they're playing.

IMO correspondance games when allowing engines in this day and age aren't competitive in any sense. Maybe they are like writing a story, but there's no competition in it.

I don't believe in a good cc player vs a bad cc player when both players have Rybka left on for as long as possible and the only inaccuracies they make are when they don't agree with Rybka's first choice.

Oh, I don't know about that. I still win plenty of games, and take extreme satisfaction not from the win or the competition but rather the creative energy that went into my opening preparation, the novelty as and when I can spring one, and the successful middlegame plan devised before consulting (or after rejecting) a chess engine's assistance. I like chess and I enjoy deep analysis. The computer might be whirring in the background, but I still have a board in front of me, and I can spend hours bouncing pieces all over the board. I'm endlessly fascinated by chess' rich possibilities in ways I don't think it's possible to appreciate in OTB tournaments or weekly games at the club. Not better, just different. And I like correspondence chess (just wish I had more time for it).

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 03/11/11 at 00:53:25
Post Tools

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #26 - 03/10/11 at 22:02:23
Post Tools
Matemax wrote on 03/10/11 at 07:36:05:
whatteaux wrote on 03/10/11 at 07:27:59:
[quote author=25323529262022470 link=1299365085/19#19 date=1299738467][quote author=7A736E7770797D7A1C0 link=1299365085/15#15 date=1299724470]You may analyze games with chess engines after they are finished. You may consult chess books or game/move databases at any time.

That's the crux of this method. On chess.com there are a lot of people with really absurd ratings (now the corrected them a bit - but there were people with 3.200!). How can that be? Are they cheating? I say "NO!" within the above formula (which is the same for chess.com), because they surely analyse their openings well with books, databases and the comp (if the position is known, it should be allowed!), analysis sample games ("might be variation"), make a tree of them and then play their moves seemingly without the comp. Once they are beyond the opening with a stable plus, they don't need the comp assistance anymore.

Despite I play on chess.com, too (mostly Thematic Tourneys - to test the chesspub.variations!) I think that it's much easier to simply allow all assistance. There is a lot of discussion about cheating - but where does opening analysis end (what if I already had the line analised years ago?)

"Free the engines!"  Grin

Agreed!

IP Logged

Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 03/10/11 at 21:29:27
Post Tools
Does chess.com's correspondence server have strong competition?

IP Logged

Uhohspaghettio
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #24 - 03/10/11 at 19:34:10
Post Tools

IP Logged

Rimfaxe
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 03/10/11 at 19:04:28
Post Tools
Using computers in ICCF is allowed. It might not say so directly in the rules, but the ICCF stand is that what is not forbidden is allowed. And since the rules do not forbid using a computer it is allowed.

The same goes for the  former IECG, now known as the Lechenicher SchachServer that has taken over all IECG activities.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo