Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gustafsson & Svidler on Endgame Study (Read 15644 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Gustafsson & Svidler on Endgame Study
Reply #18 - 08/10/11 at 00:47:49
Post Tools
I knew there was something wrong with my last post. Sorry, I haven't slept well for three nights. I forgot about Carlsen, who did not even participate. I'd say if Gelfand wins, he is for sure a worthy champion.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #17 - 08/09/11 at 23:19:08
Post Tools
trw wrote on 08/09/11 at 21:47:11:
Stigma wrote on 08/07/11 at 23:52:41:
Allright, Gelfand could conceivably beat Anand and become the next World Champion, but much as I admire his play I don't think many people would consider him the world's best player even after such a feat. Unless his rating also rockets to the top, of course.

If Gelfand beats Anand, without question I will consider him the World's best no matter what his rating ends up as. End of story.

"Without question"? Why the strong words? Even with Anand the current world champion, there's a strong argument that Carlsen is the world's best player. The two are simply not (necessarily) the same thing.

But OK, if Gelfand wins the match (which I would welcome but don't think very likely) he is certainly one of the greats.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 08/09/11 at 21:52:14
Post Tools
trw wrote on 08/09/11 at 21:47:11:
Allright, Gelfand could conceivably beat Anand and become the next World Champion, but much as I admire his play I don't think many people would consider him the world's best player even after such a feat. Unless his rating also rockets to the top, of course.

If Gelfand beats Anand, without question I will consider him the World's best no matter what his rating ends up as. End of story.

I'd agree as well.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 08/09/11 at 21:47:11
Post Tools

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 08/09/11 at 14:06:41
Post Tools
No insult to Svidler was intended. He is world-class and has been near the top for a long time.

But the four I mentioned are more consistent and more likely to be/become World Champion or World No.1. Perhaps Topalov and Karjakin are also in that small group of people who are potential No. 1s right now. But with those six names that lists ends for me. In a few years maybe Nakamura, maybe Giri, maybe some new as yet unknown star will be up there.

If he is not consistent, at least Svidler is not in a dip:
http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7443

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #13 - 08/07/11 at 23:52:41
Post Tools
No insult to Svidler was intended. He is world-class and has been near the top for a long time.

But the four I mentioned are more consistent and more likely to be/become World Champion or World No.1. Perhaps Topalov and Karjakin are also in that small group of people who are potential No. 1s right now. But with those six names that lists ends for me. In a few years maybe Nakamura, maybe Giri, maybe some new as yet unknown star will be up there.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #12 - 08/07/11 at 12:44:39
Post Tools
I don't know how anyone else defines "serious contender for the World Championship or the very to spots in rankings".

Svidler has been one of the top 5 in the world before, and finished as high as second in the 2005 World Championship. Five years ago, only Kasparov, Topalov and Anand were higher rated than he was. He's currently ranked 16th in the world.

He's one of the most elite players in the world, and will almost certainly continue to compete for the World title. He's younger than Kramnik, Anand and Gelfand. I don't know if he will be a Candidate finalist again, but I certainly wouldn't write him off.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 08/07/11 at 10:16:35
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 08/07/11 at 08:01:42:
But then as strong as Svidler, Malakhov and Gustafsson are, neither of them are serious contenders for the World Championship or the very top spots in the rankings.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it turns out that precisely in the endgame these players are weaker than Anand, Carlsen, Kramnik and Aronian?
(I haven't performed any serious comparision obviously, just speculating!)

I am speculating too, but I would guess it is correct!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #10 - 08/07/11 at 08:01:42
Post Tools
But then as strong as Svidler, Malakhov and Gustafsson are, neither of them are serious contenders for the World Championship or the very top spots in the rankings.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it turns out that precisely in the endgame these players are weaker than Anand, Carlsen, Kramnik and Aronian?
(I haven't performed any serious comparision obviously, just speculating!)

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 08/07/11 at 06:21:26
Post Tools
Malakhov has echoed the same sentiment on several occasions. The endgamemastery in foregone day was also a bit overstated as games were broken off and in important tournaments analysed by secondants.

Who's right? Who knows... .

IP Logged

gewgaw
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #8 - 08/06/11 at 18:56:29
Post Tools
Up to a certain you don´t need to study chess at all; I know one person, who had just one chessbook to reach nearly 2000 elo, then he was forced to work through some opening books, because at this level without any opening knowledge, you get no advantage with white and with black you are heavily under pressure.
Last year I played the first time at board 1 in our team and had opponents up to 2400 elo. Normally I don´t pay much attention, what my opponent plays, because usually I play the same stuff, knowing that it works till 2200 elo, but this time I studied the games of my opponents, just to survive the opening and get some chances in the middlegame and to hope for the best, because these cracks know their stuff very well.

So, all in all, what´s the use of knowing some endgameruse, when you don´t reach it.

The older, the better - over 2200 and still rising.

IP Logged

trw
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/06/11 at 16:34:59
Post Tools
Akavall wrote on 08/05/11 at 23:07:10:
Also, I am not sure that you will get "killed with 100% certainty" if you don't know your openings. It is probably true for very sharp lines, such as Najdorf, but if you play KIA or 1.b3 line, you should not be killed in the opening!

Absolutely, you can be slaughtered in the Larsen and KIA for not knowing anything about them.

IP Logged

Akavall
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 23:07:10
Post Tools
Good interview. However, I am not very sure about their advice.

In an extreme case, suggesting to a complete beginner to study only openings doesn't seem like a very useful advice. We all know that everybody needs to know how to checkmate with K+R vs K, promote a pawn and so on.

Also, I am not sure that you will get "killed with 100% certainty" if you don't know your openings. It is probably true for very sharp lines, such as Najdorf, but if you play KIA or 1.b3 line, you should not be killed in the opening!

Moreover, one argument for learning endgames that Gustafsson and Svidler don't address is that learning endgames helps you learn about the pieces, what they like, what they don't like, their strengths and weaknesses in different positions. Therefore, learning endgames improves your game by more than just increase in your level on endgame play.

Somehow I got a feeling that they were talking about themselves, and told us about how they allocate THEIR time studying.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #5 - 06/17/11 at 08:12:10
Post Tools
good link. interesting.

IP Logged

charlesgalofre

Reply #4 - 06/12/11 at 16:53:06
Post Tools
I saw the video the other evening, and also found it interesting.

nice to see everyone else got to see it also.

Svidler was hesitant to completely agree, and theres a reason for it. Gus is just more straightforward. heres the thing, for some one like Gus, even at his level, calculation and other things concerning his openings are more important than the endgame.

fundamentally, we cant do without the endgame, and a basic knowledge of them is necessary.

I mean one of the most essential lessons in chess is learning how to win K+P vs. K.

overall i feel that what should be taken from their opinions is that not too much time should be stressed on it.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo